• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

JulianImp

Guys, could anyone help me figure out whether Aniplex USA's Monogatari BDs have their respective commentary tracks or not? I've checked their site and it looks like only their product page for Bake talks about them, and with my friend who's over in Japan telling me the JP BDs are way more expensive (around 5K yen for half an arc) and probably don't have any kind of subtitles at all, I'm kind of doubting what I should do here, since he'll be coming back in a week or two.

TUSR

Banned
Guys, could anyone help me figure out whether Aniplex USA's Monogatari BDs have their respective commentary tracks or not? I've checked their site and it looks like only their product page for Bake talks about them, and with my friend who's over in Japan telling me the JP BDs are way more expensive (around 5K yen for half an arc) and probably don't have any kind of subtitles at all, I'm kind of doubting what I should do here, since he'll be coming back in a week or two.

Bake is the only one with translated commentary.

BluWacky

Where's mah Granblue anime.

This may come across as more aggressive than I mean it to, but I don't really understand why there is such a fuss over Granblue Fantasy. The thread for it is enormous but it just seems to be the usual gacha "I rolled no SSR FML" stuff, no-one seems to have a clue what the story is... why is it so popular, and why would it make a good anime?

Cornbread78

Ah My Buddah ep. 10-END
QIzZMih.png

Well, this show certainly has the ecchi down, but it doesn't have a plot outside of our MC's awakenings and that goes nowhere.... It takes a clear episodic approach with slight references to previous episodes from time to time. The show is pretty good as a comedy, but that is about it. Don't expect any shipping at all, and outside of a couple moments of harem hijinks fun, there is a clear pair that they want to ship, but won't do it because well he's got a harem of priestesses at his disposal. Oh well, another one bites the dust. I need t find an actually decent harem comedy to watch like Trinity 7.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
This may come across as more aggressive than I mean it to, but I don't really understand why there is such a fuss over Granblue Fantasy. The thread for it is enormous but it just seems to be the usual gacha "I rolled no SSR FML" stuff, no-one seems to have a clue what the story is... why is it so popular, and why would it make a good anime?

Blame the Cinderella Girls cross promotion.

JOKER GAME Episode 1 – Joker Game (Part 1)
CfS7sw4XEAAXu_w.jpg

Oh yes my 2nd fave utapri va is in this and voices best boy Miyoshi

Really slow start but picked up fast once we got to the joker game aspect and then the actual mission. Really gripping writing.

Sölf

Joker Game 01
That was a really good first episode. I love the setting and like were this is going. Heck, I want to see the next episode already. Also, is it just me or do the characters also look similar to Baccano, design wise? The setting is of course similar because both play in the 1930s, but the shows also look pretty similar, even though this seems to be quite a bit darker.

Sölf

Ah My Buddah ep. 10-END
QIzZMih.png

Well, this show certainly has the ecchi down, but it doesn't have a plot outside of our MC's awakenings and that goes nowhere.... It takes a clear episodic approach with slight references to previous episodes from time to time. The show is pretty good as a comedy, but that is about it. Don't expect any shipping at all, and outside of a couple moments of harem hijinks fun, there is a clear pair that they want to ship, but won't do it because well he's got a harem of priestesses at his disposal. Oh well, another one bites the dust. I need t find an actually decent harem comedy to watch like Trinity 7.

Eh, there is a second season, if you wanna watch that, but it's only more of the same. Even if a new character joins the fun.

That aside, have you seen Maburaho already? I saw that years ago, felt like a weird mix of School Rumble and Zero no Tsukaima. There is also Goshuushou-sama Ninomiya-kun, but I think that only has like 2 girls if I remember correctly, so not really harem per se~ xD

pbayne

Ah My Buddah ep. 10-END

Invaders of the Rokujyōma!? and Inou Battle are two solid harem comedies. The only downsides being they are two "go read the manga/novel" type adaptions.

Sölf;200229088 said:
Joker Game 01
That was a really good first episode. I love the setting and like were this is going. Heck, I want to see the next episode already. Also, is it just me or do the characters also look similar to Baccano, design wise? The setting is of course similar because both play in the 1930s, but the shows also look pretty similar, even though this seems to be quite a bit darker.

I think Baccano was darker, people dying and all that stuff. This is just normal spy stuff with a clueless lead.

Qurupeke

Joker Game 1

They talked too much about the setting, the spy training house and the joker game, and the episode ended just when it finally got really interesting. :|

I think Baccano was darker, people dying and all that stuff. This is just normal spy stuff with a clueless lead.

Bacanno was a pretty upbeat series that was usually fairly light hearted. Yeah it was violent and bloody, but that doesn't make it dark. Being dark is an issue of tone, and how things are treated, as well as the world view being presented.

Joker Game

Starts out with gratuitous Engrish. I good sign. Fairly interesting first episode, I appreciate the setting of right before WW2 Japan. I dunno if I will stick with it though.

Ascheroth

Joker Game - 01

Two minutes in and I was sold by the Opening alone, that looked slick as hell. Thankfully the rest of the show holds up as well!
I'm definitely liking the premise and the setting. The soundtrack is great and it also had glorious Engrish.
My only problem was that it ended right when it got really interesting :p

BluWacky

Joker Game 1

Golly, that was gripping.

While I mildly question the existence of the main character - who would assign someone who seems completely against espionage to work in spycraft, save to have someone that can be duped by every other character - this was a confident and thrilling opening episode. It's very much produced in the Production IG house style - so not very cartoony and consistently competent rather than visually exciting - but it's well written and interesting.

However, one small niggle. Wikipedia tells me that The Black Chamber was published in 1931, six years before the events of Joker Game, not the one year beforehand that the newspaper article in this show suggests. I assume I misunderstood that reference!

ANN's not working for me at the moment but I am assuming the OP was handled by the Ergo Proxy/Terror in Resonance guy who does all the slick digital effects?

Cornbread78

Sölf;200229604 said:
Eh, there is a second season, if you wanna watch that, but it's only more of the same. Even if a new character joins the fun.

That aside, have you seen Maburaho already? I saw that years ago, felt like a weird mix of School Rumble and Zero no Tsukaima. There is also Goshuushou-sama Ninomiya-kun, but I think that only has like 2 girls if I remember correctly, so not really harem per se~ xD

Maburaho
His name is Kazuki Shikimori, 17 years old. He attends Aoi Academy, a school for elite magicians. Each magician has a set limit of spells, and performing more spells than the limit allows will cause the user to turn into dust. In this case, the number of magic Kazuki can use is far below the average in his school. Then one day, all of a sudden, three girls: Yuuna Miyama, Kuriko Kazetsubaki and Rin Kamishiro, appear before him. But of all the things that they are after, it is his genes. And for Kazuki, the girls' appearances may also spell his doom, as he soon realizes that his magic count is decreasing ever steadily due to the fact that he can't resist using magic to help them.

This one sounds weird...

Good Luck! Ninomiya-kun:
Shungo Ninomiya is just an ordinary, run-of-the-mill high school student who lives at home with his older sister Ryoko—at least when she's not away doing her job as a mercenary. However, Shungo's life ceases to be normal the moment a cute girl named Mayu Tsukimura descends into the middle of his school's campus in a military-grade helicopter. It turns out Ryoko sent this girl, along with her older brother Mikihiro, to live at the Ninomiya household.
But the newly-arrived siblings are a little special: Mayu is, in fact, a succubus and her brother, an incubus! And as if the circumstances are not problematic enough, Mayu is crippled with androphobia—the fear of men—and it's up to Shungo to help her overcome this at the behest of his sister. Ryoko plans to force Mayu to be closer to Shungo, and to do this, she’ll employ some questionable methods such as having them share the same bed and even take baths together.
The situation further complicates when student council president Reika Houjou arrives as the new maid of the Ninomiya family, and she will stop at nothing to thwart Shungo and Mayu’s sexually-geared training. With the sudden arrival of all these oddities, Shungo's ordinary life is about to be thrown into utter turmoil.

Now this has got to be pretty awkward, lol.

Invaders of the Rokujyōma!? and Inou Battle are two solid harem comedies. The only downsides being they are two "go read the manga/novel" type adaptions.

When Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace
Half a year ago, the four members of a literature club, as well as the elementary school niece of their faculty adviser, were bestowed with supernatural powers. The boy in the club, Ando Jurai, became able to produce black flames. The girls acquired a variety of powerful abilities: Tomoyo could slow, speed, or stop time, Hatoko could control the five elements (earth, water, fire, wind, light), little Chifuyu could create things, and Sayumi could repair objects or heal living things. However, since they gained these powers, nothing has really changed in their everyday life. Why have they been given these powers in the first place? Will the heroic fantasy life they imagined these powers would bring ever actually arrive?

Interesting... But, there's no "ending" right? uugghh..

Invaders of the Rokujyōma!?
- Already watched. This one was a lot of fun!

Is there any real conclusion and or plot in any of these? Any shipping?

pbayne

Joker Game 1

That guys Engrish was pretty good. Have to hand it to him.
Interesting start. Something tells me they'll "find" the evidence their looking for. Kazuma's progression through the show will probably be interesting whether he falls further into the espionage world or stays the stoic counterpoint to the rest of them. Id say id need a name chart to remember some of these guys though.
It's also somewhat refreshing to see characters say "nah fuck Japanese national pride."

Oh and i loved the start of the ED where the guys were all faces in the crowd. OP was pretty cool too.

Where's mah Granblue anime.

Quite a good move after Bahamut's success. Hopefully MAPPA will get more work from this.

It's already being made by A-1 right? Pretty sure I've seen some footage of a Vira Vs. Catalina fight, looked decent I guess.

I'm not really excited for the story or anything, but being partially invested in the characters would make it worth my while I think.

Mika Jougasaki is a playable character

Joe Molotov

My ratings for this season so far:

Bakuon - Yasssssss
Kagewani II - Mothman Prophecy/10
Luluco - TRIGGERED
Jojo - Jojo
Yuri Bread - yuri
Cerberus - Trash
Hundred - Hot Trash

Sölf

Maburaho

This one sounds weird...

Good Luck! Ninomiya-kun:

Now this has got to be pretty awkward, lol.

Invaders of the Rokujyōma!?
- Already watched. This one was a lot of fun!

What the synopsis of Maburaho doesn't tell you, each magician can only cast a certain amount of spells, else he turns into dust/dies. The main can only cast, I don't know, like 10 spells or something when the shows starts. However, he also is the strongest magician alive (or maybe ever, I don't remember), which is the reason why the girls are after his genes. As I mentioned before, the show reminded me of a weird mix of School Rumble and Zero no Tsukaima. I actually liked that pretty much back then.

As for Inou Battle, that was done by Trigger in the Fall 2014 season. I have no idea how far the light novels are and how much it actually covers, but it was a neat little series, but yeah, it's open ended so far. Then again, maybe Trigger will make a second season some day, I have no idea how well it sold.

Qurupeke

It concludes several plots, but it doesn't have a proper ending. It's awesome though, certainly worth it.

duckroll

It's already being made by A-1 right? Pretty sure I've seen some footage of a Vira Vs. Catalina fight, looked decent I guess.

I don't think there's any info or staff for the actual anime ither than A-1 doing it. Nothing at Anime Japan either. There's an anime trailer that's a few years old, done foe the game, but it's unrelated. Just like the old lesbian Bahamut trailer for the game.

brawly

Joker Game 1

If it wasn't for those last three minutes I would drop it right now. I was bored up until then. Will watch the next episode and decide then.

Joker Game - 01

Seems to be an anime that wants to look super smart. If anything about it will actually be that remains to be seen.

Reducing the main character in this episode to being little more than a narrator was weak. Actually, you can still portray interesting characteristics that way but he seemed devoid of any such thing.

duckroll

Oh wow, I totally didn't see that. If they have a whole chunk animated, why didn't they announce any staff or further details for it?!

---

Joker Game - Episode 1

Mmmm. This season is off to a good start. I really like the grounded tone they're going for, and the writing isn't really what I expected for an early WW2 period show about an elite spy training agency in Japan. There's this very cold, calculating, disconnected view on the realities of what is happening, and it's actually very fitting for a spy story. The pragmatic view of the world, stripping away the glorified nationalism and ideals of patriotism is somewhat unexpected, but very refreshing. These aren't good people, but they're doing what they're doing for practical reasons to achieve their objectives, and the don't have time for delusional fantasies of self-glorification.

Probably one of Kenji Kawai's better soundtracks in a while too. For TV anime anyway.

Joker Game 01

Seems good enough. The theme and plot is interesting. Animation and art style is also good. Direction was a bit boring, first episode and they already explaining super clear all the dramatic beats: how the spies are trained, how they think and act, and their real drama as they are fated to a life of solitude, it doesn't leave a lot to the imagination. Also the MC was the typical straight man put there so they can explain everything to the viewers and to contrast the spy thinking vs the opposite (military thinking).

Sölf

Black Lagoon 01-02
And so I finally started this show, which I wanted to watch for years now. After the first 2 episodes I already like the whole crew. Rock is a much better character than I thought at first, even if I thinkt he adapted a tad bit too fast. Action is of course the strong point of this show and the bar scene was already a great start. I already knew the OP, which is great, but I really like the ED, since that's actually just music without lyrics for a change. That doesn't happen too often. Anyways, off to a great start.

Squishy3

I mean, to be fair, My Hero Academy is far better than the vast majority of the shows Crunchy picked up
It's hard to convince people to subscribe to Funimation for it when you can subscribe to Hulu+ and get more than just anime. Granted, they're probably betting it on Toonami exposure more than they are streaming.

Sölf;200241176 said:
Black Lagoon 01-02
And so I finally started this show, which I wanted to watch for years now. After the first 2 episodes I already like the whole crew. Rock is a much better character than I thought at first, even if I thinkt he adapted a tad bit too fast. Action is of course the strong point of this show and the bar scene was already a great start. I already knew the OP, which is great, but I really like the ED, since that's actually just music without lyrics for a change. That doesn't happen too often. Anyways, off to a great start.

show's a classic, one of the best animes ive ever seen, def watch the ova after the 2 seasons if you can find it

JulianImp

It's hard to convince people to subscribe to Funimation for it when you can subscribe to Hulu+ and get more than just anime. Granted, they're probably betting it on Toonami more than they are streaming.

I'm really happy that CR has bothered to offer subscription prices in local currency, since that has made subbing to them way more affordable for me (even though I've been subscribed for over a year now).

Sölf;200241176 said:
Black Lagoon 01-02
And so I finally started this show, which I wanted to watch for years now. After the first 2 episodes I already like the whole crew. Rock is a much better character than I thought at first, even if I think he adapted a tad bit too fast. Action is of course the strong point of this show and the bar scene was already a great start. I already knew the OP, which is great, but I really like the ED, since that's actually just music without lyrics for a change. That doesn't happen too often. Anyways, off to a great start.

Enjoy Black Lagoon Solf. It is a great show. Make sure you watch it dubbed as well since it surpasses the sub IMO.

T-Rex.

Banned
Re:ZERO

First two eps were interesting enough for me to carry on watching to see how it progresses. It helps that the MCs weren't irritating and also that the action was pretty sweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom