• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never played Person 3, did watch a friend play through the whole thing, and I didn't enjoy the movies at all. I want those hours of my life back.

Concrete Revolution 21
Cjd0d7kWkAABMPU.jpg
CjdxexnW0AAoGn4.jpg

Best characters looked so good.

Im glad the lady with Imperial Ads got some focus.

Looking forward to next week because Jiro backstory is what Ive been needing. It ought to help him find out and sort out his feelings in his heart.

jgminto

The animation for the P3 movies is fine (though comparing them to SMT anime is an extremely low bar) but that doesn't help with them being incredibly boring. They aren't visual marvels that can carry a lackluster story with artistic animation and direction. The visual style is summed up as a clean 2D representation of moments in the game and little more.

duckroll

Here are my problems with the Persona 3 movies:

- They're boring and poorly directed. There is no sense of the narrative really focusing or emphasizing themes it wants to express, It feels like a workman-like assembly of scenes which only exist because they were adapted from another medium. It has nothing to say.

- They're boring and visually unappealing. The adapted designs are flat, the visual tone of the films are flat, and nothing pops out or feels attractive, Soejima's style in the games is the very definition of "pop" both in the style sense and in the visual sense. Bright colors, sharp contrasts, and exciting bold layout.

- They're boring and boring. The pacing is atrocious, there's little reason to split it into four films considering how little they care about the material. Everything just feels designed to fit into packages which are easy to market. Four films for four seasons, etc. Regardless of the content.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So GooP was GooP-ey. I like how there's no real explanation for why the land is all barren in this universe, but I guess it gives you the excuse to have tank battles in the middle of town.

Perhaps GooP is a Haifuri prequel and the land will be underwater in a few hundred years.

JulianImp

Last week's JoJo was fun. I definitely like the wackier situations that come from not having every enemy stand user try to kill the protagonists for the sake of some evil overlord, and having overall "weaker" characters such as Koichi or Okuyasu means they can get into quirkier situations that require more creative solutions than "just punch it". Jousuke's the only character that still works like a Star Platinum 2.0, but even then having less focus on his stand being physically powerful and more on its ability to repair things also leads to more interesting stand fights.

javac

Not liking any of Anime Limited's announcements thus far.
  • Persona 3 The Movie: No. 1, Spring of Birth
  • Persona 3 The Movie: No. 2, Midsummer Knight's Dream
  • Persona 3 The Movie: No. 3, Falling Down
  • Persona 3 The Movie: No. 4, Winter of Rebirth
  • High School Fleet
  • Black Butler Season 3: Book of Circus
  • Dimension W

Please rescue some old classics and announce some much needed localization's please :(

duckroll

Concrete Revolutio - Episode 21

So this is how it all ends. Yutaka Nakamura returns to animated a pretty sweet action sequence, there are a bunch of robot characters and actual robots, big and small, fighting for different reasons. And then. Every gets together and talks things through. Because misunderstandings are boring and make for poor drama. Instead we find out what characters are thinking, what they're hiding from each other, and even if they don't agree, they can agree to disagree. And then. Because he asked really nicely. Jiro finally learns the truth behind his origin. Cue cliffhanger.

Good episode. Why couldn't Aikawa write E7AO like this? :(

Seeing the young Jiro flashback again and his Lovecraftian invisible monster form is so sweet. I just love the way that scene plays out. Scary, but yet somewhat grand and otherworldly. That reveal at the end though. I hope it's just the big bad being insane, and that they don't actually go in the direction of "multiple realities" with ours being the "right" one, because that would be the most boring way for this to end. Plus, parallel worlds is when Aikawa's writing always gets the weakest. Don't do it!

javac

Jesus. Was Ping Pong the last good thing they licensed? (and they announced it so late I already had the JP BD box)

Yeah Ping Pong is the last thing of note that they've licensed, and I too have the Japanese set because who could resist it? Back when Anime Limited was in its infancy I was dreaming of them bringing over things like Memories, Angel's Egg, Robot Carnival, The Big O and Gunbuster on Blu-ray, back when they'd been releasing things like Bebop, Gurren and Perfect Blue but that seems to be a pipe-dream now. Andrew used to lead acquisitions over at BEEZ and focused on some auteur works such as Tatami Galaxy and House of Five Leaves, with Ping Pong looking to be a return to that.

Anime Limited however have partnered with Funimation and seem to be close with Aniplex so they seem to be localizing things that those two are releasing in the west and mimicking them now. It makes sense, it sells and a lot of the stuff they license comes in bundles anyways as part of a package, but its a far cry from the distro that once aimed to be the criterion of anime.

MVM have some great licenses here and there like Aku no Hana and Patlabor but they're too risk averse and stick to DVD and basic packaging although they've been toying with more limited editions as of late.

Eumi

Here are my problems with the Persona 3 movies:

- They're boring and poorly directed. There is no sense of the narrative really focusing or emphasizing themes it wants to express, It feels like a workman-like assembly of scenes which only exist because they were adapted from another medium. It has nothing to say.

- They're boring and visually unappealing. The adapted designs are flat, the visual tone of the films are flat, and nothing pops out or feels attractive, Soejima's style in the games is the very definition of "pop" both in the style sense and in the visual sense. Bright colors, sharp contrasts, and exciting bold layout.

- They're boring and boring. The pacing is atrocious, there's little reason to split it into four films considering how little they care about the material. Everything just feels designed to fit into packages which are easy to market. Four films for four seasons, etc. Regardless of the content.

...So it's Persona 3?

im kidding. Mostly.

Also Luluco 09

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa etc. etc. You know the drill by this point.

Cornbread78

Guilty Crown ep.20-END
dFIaYIC.jpg
PcCPJN6.jpg

I'm so confused at the endig of this one and nothing makes sense still... On one hand, I loved the production of it, especially the way they integrated the music into everything, however, What happened? WHAT HAPPENED? Explain something, not just through an entire episode 21 of backstory, but explain it through the story as it plays out so it makes some kind of sense.... The whole Shu x Inori thing was just a farse as I thought and they never did take the time to fully develop that relationship, until the very end when they had some emotional moments, but it almost felt like too little too late with very little substance to it. They could have written that ship so much better to give it soo much more impact, but instead it stayed convoluted until the end, when all the next set of nonsense happened.... I'm still up in the air on this one since it had so much potential with some really good moments, but, they left the story so convoluted by the end, and still didn't make is comprehensible to watch...

Ayane x Shu should have been the final ship....

Does anyone know if the OVAs are worth a watch?

blurr

I saw the first Persona movie, they're alright if you like the game.

in other news, finally got me my Overwatch

Steins Gate 12

Screw you
Moeka. I should of known it was her from the very start. She was shady from the very beginning.
Seriously that ending though.

Poor
Mayuri got shot in the head. Man I really fucking dislike Moeka so much right now.

Line_HTX

Space PatrOL LULUco 09 Season 3 END

Dollface understands and her face never changes. :O

I think that Imaishi loves to chug energy drinks and probably jumps around like that Shark guy.

"Uh, Commander, what's going on?"

Luluco 9

How did something this insane nearly put me to sleep. Even people who like the direction this show has taken have to admit the first few episodes suggested something much more substantial and self contained was possible.

---------------

Yeah Ping Pong is the last thing of note that they've licensed, and I too have the Japanese set because who could resist it? Back when Anime Limited was in its infancy I was dreaming of them bringing over things like Memories, Angel's Egg, Robot Carnival, The Big O and Gunbuster on Blu-ray, back when they'd been releasing things like Bebop, Gurren and Perfect Blue but that seems to be a pipe-dream now. Andrew used to lead acquisitions over at BEEZ and focused on some auteur works such as Tatami Galaxy and House of Five Leaves, with Ping Pong looking to be a return to that.

Anime Limited however have partnered with Funimation and seem to be close with Aniplex so they seem to be localizing things that those two are releasing in the west and mimicking them now. It makes sense, it sells and a lot of the stuff they license comes in bundles anyways as part of a package, but its a far cry from the distro that once aimed to be the criterion of anime.

MVM have some great licenses here and there like Aku no Hana and Patlabor but they're too risk averse and stick to DVD and basic packaging although they've been toying with more limited editions as of late.

Like you say, they started out quite differently and to some degree they're a victim of expectations because of that. I have no qualms with them pulling in whatever they feel will make a profit, but the ratio of fluff to quality seems to keep slipping. Admittedly a few of their acquisitions seemed like more exciting propositions than they turned out to be (Terror in Resonance, Blood Blockade Battlefront, ERASED).

I didn't know MVM were burying good shows in the DVD ghetto but that's a shame. I've avoided them due to their packaging being so bad that I'm sure I could have done better with the printer in my office if I had high res assets. If they've raised their game for the LE experiments I guess I hope they do well.

Book of Circus isn't bad.

I may look into the show then, though I don't think they even put out of the first two seasons.

Line_HTX

『宇宙パトロールルル子』公式 ‏@s_p_luluco 58m58 minutes ago

第9話「本当の罠」で使用された『SEX and VIOLENCE with MACHSPEED』劇中曲「Music for the MASSIVE (SEX Ver)」が、『宇宙パトロールルル子』ブルーレイ【初回生産限定盤】特典CDに収録決定☆彡 #ルル子

I can't turn up the volume at the moment, so I didn't hear the song during the episode. Their tweet on the Bonus CD with this track though, LMAO

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Uchuu Patrol Luluco Episode 9

Yea, don't think anybody called this one, at least nobody I saw at any rate. I wonder if we are done with the crossover business now that the season has ended?

TimmiT

The new Luluco episode is kinda disappointing. They didn't really do anything fun with the cross-over like the last two episodes and really it was just a blatant excuse to literally re-use the plot and animation from it.

javac

MCM Announcements (so far):
Anime Limited
  • Black Butler: Book of Circus
  • Bungou Stray Dogs
  • Dimension W
  • High School Fleet
  • Kiznaiver
  • Persona 3 The Movie: No. 1, Spring of Birth
  • Persona 3 The Movie: No. 2, Midsummer Knight's Dream
  • Persona 3 The Movie: No. 3, Falling Down
  • Persona 3 The Movie: No. 4, Winter of Rebirth
  • Re:Zero
  • Sound! Euphonium
  • Twin Star Exorcists
Fullmetal Alchemist Ultimate Edition Pre-orders: http://fullmetal.alltheanime.com/

MVM
5th September 2016
  • Log Horizon Season Two (Blu-ray and DVD)
Late 2016
  • 11 Eyes*
  • Busou Shinki: Armored War Goddess*
  • Chobits (Blu-Ray)
  • Gate*
  • Girls Beyond the Youth KOYA*
  • Monster Musume*
  • Norn9*
  • Nurse Witch Komugi-chan R*
  • Original Tenchi Muyo! OVAs (Blu-ray and DVD)
  • Owarimonogatari (Blu-ray and DVD)
  • Photo Kano*
  • Re-Kan!*
  • Sakura Trick*
  • Serial Experiments Lain (Blu-ray)
  • Skip Beat! Parts 1 & 2 (with English dub, BD)
  • Undefeated Bahamut Chronicle*

Universal
  • 2016 Berserk TV series (Collector's Edition)
  • Drifters (Collector's Edition)

Manga Entertainment
  • Death Note (Blu-ray)
  • Digimon Seasons 1 & 2* (TV edit)
  • Rock Lee & His Ninja Pals (DVD, two box sets)
  • Soul Eater Not!*

Animatsu Entertainment
  • Hanayamata*
  • Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto* (2017)
  • Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions -Heart Throb-*
  • Punch Line*
  • Trinity Seven*
*Format to be decided.

The new Luluco episode is kinda disappointing. They didn't really do anything fun with the cross-over like the last two episodes and really it was just a blatant excuse to literally re-use the plot and animation from it.

Yeah the episodes have gotten progressively slighter in concept and animation. Maybe they're being bled dry by Kiznaiver and are playing for time.

Steins Gate 13

Life is truly unfair. Every time
Okabe goes back in time Mayuri still dies. Her last death was unexpected though.

The multiple time loops that are occurring will not end well for Okabe.

Clov

Violet Evergarden (through two shorts) is a novel about letters and how words convey emotions to people from others. Violet herself isn’t so much the protagonist; instead she’s a common character that gets “loaned”/”rented” to people as she’s just a machine. Instead of focusing on how a robot thinks/”feels” (and I use that lightly), Akatsuki focuses on different characters’ thoughts/tales and shifts the protagonist from story to story. I think this will work better in episode form than in a movie as you can adapt the shorts into episodes rather than one long story. The bigger problem is Akatsuki’s writing and a lack of dialogue compared to what needs to happen in videos. How do you choose to convey what a person is feeling? Monologues? Visual gimmicks like displaying written lines? Something different? It’ll be tough to hold an audience’s attention for the start of an episode without that. Granted, additional dialogue could be written.

One attribute that I’ve enjoyed is the setting taking place outside of Japan in a fictional country similar to an older European setting. Inevitably my own imagination of the setting is biased from my viewings of Gosick and JoJo Part 1, but everything fits in well with that time period. It certainly feels fresh and would be very stimulating for an art director/director to focus on.

I’d rather see someone new work on this like Ogawa or even Do’s Yamamura instead of the Ishihara/Yamada/Takemoto trio. Takemoto would be fine with it, but his work needs a comedic element to it or else it suffers from being overly oppressing (TSR). Ishihara is unsuited for this story as the characters aren’t visual novel archetypes. I would worry that Yamada would try and delve into Violet too much instead of focusing on the surrounding characters, whose stories are really being told. Utsumi is more of a comedy director, so she’s out. That leaves many of the newbies at KyoAni/Do to work with.

This sounds like it could be very interesting. I'll stay optimistic about it!

javac

No blu-ray for Lain:(. (US has one if im not mistaken?)Not a whole lot too enticing for me there tbh.
Apparently they might be releasing it on Blu-ray too.

Also:
Universal are going to release both the 2016 Berserk TV series and Drifters as Collector's Edition in the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom