• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theonik

The movie has a 3 minute short explaining the series. However you really need to watch the series to appreciate the movie and I'd argue vice versa.

Must watch:
GuP TV
GuP Anzio OVA
GuP Film
GuP Film OVA

Recommended:
GuP TV specials (2,3,5,6 especially)
Akiyama Yukari Tank Corner

blurr

You should watch the TV series first. No reason to skip that.

TV series
(BD specials)
Anzio OVA
Movie
(Movie BD special)

The movie has a 3 minute short explaining the series. However you really need to watch the series to appreciate the movie and I'd argue vice versa.

Must watch:
GuP TV
GuP Anzio OVA
GuP Film
GuP Film OVA

Recommended:
GuP TV specials (2,3,5,6 especially)
Akiyama Yukari Tank Corner

Thanks, looks like I have a lot of ground to cover. Shall give it more priority.

Nyaruko-san S2 - 08 and a couple other episodes before it
mPRyXt8.png

Story of my life

Phantom World 8

If Takemoto had directed this Mai's butt turn would have been animated on 1s.

Girls und Panzer: Der Film

[...]

The only bad thing about this movie is that it ended. :(

Anticipation rising.

Super excited for these two Blu-rays!

It's been a long time coming, never thought that I'd see Only Yesterday released on Bu-ray in the west.
Best Ghibli film.

I've had Only Yesterday since it came out in Japan but I'm really looking forward to seeing the Belladonna restoration. Hopefully more people will watch both of them now.

what is it about?

From ultimatemegax:
“Auto Memories Doll.” It’s already been a long time since that name was first popularized. It’s a machine that Dr. Orlando created that talks in a natural voice. At first, he only made it to help out his loving wife, but before long they spread out into the world. and companies were made to lend them out.

“I’m Violet Evergarden, the Auto Memories Doll who will rush to provide service anywhere you wish.“

That translucent voice comes from a robotic beautiful girl with blonde hair and blue eyes like she came out of a storybook.

And character descriptions:
http://ultimatemegax.tumblr.com/post/135196412463/violet-evergarden-characters

duckroll

That's not a PV for the anime btw. It's just an animated commercial for the LN at the moment. But at the end it does confirm that they are making an anime. The staff and designs might not be the same.

That's not a PV for the anime btw. It's just an animated commercial for the LN at the moment. But at the end it does confirm that they are making an anime. The staff and designs might not be the same.

Hope not the same staff because the one doing this PV is Kyoukai no Kanata director lol.

Violet Evergarden (through two shorts) is a novel about letters and how words convey emotions to people from others. Violet herself isn’t so much the protagonist; instead she’s a common character that gets “loaned”/”rented” to people as she’s just a machine. Instead of focusing on how a robot thinks/”feels” (and I use that lightly), Akatsuki focuses on different characters’ thoughts/tales and shifts the protagonist from story to story. I think this will work better in episode form than in a movie as you can adapt the shorts into episodes rather than one long story. The bigger problem is Akatsuki’s writing and a lack of dialogue compared to what needs to happen in videos. How do you choose to convey what a person is feeling? Monologues? Visual gimmicks like displaying written lines? Something different? It’ll be tough to hold an audience’s attention for the start of an episode without that. Granted, additional dialogue could be written.

One attribute that I’ve enjoyed is the setting taking place outside of Japan in a fictional country similar to an older European setting. Inevitably my own imagination of the setting is biased from my viewings of Gosick and JoJo Part 1, but everything fits in well with that time period. It certainly feels fresh and would be very stimulating for an art director/director to focus on.

I’d rather see someone new work on this like Ogawa or even Do’s Yamamura instead of the Ishihara/Yamada/Takemoto trio. Takemoto would be fine with it, but his work needs a comedic element to it or else it suffers from being overly oppressing (TSR). Ishihara is unsuited for this story as the characters aren’t visual novel archetypes. I would worry that Yamada would try and delve into Violet too much instead of focusing on the surrounding characters, whose stories are really being told. Utsumi is more of a comedy director, so she’s out. That leaves many of the newbies at KyoAni/Do to work with.

brawly

Sinbad no Bouken | 1

That wasn't good. Some of those characters in the beginning also seemed a bit too old. The green mage was already a young adult when Sinbad was born? He didn't seem that old in Magi.

I'll keep watching though.

duckroll

Remember how CLAMP is doing a new CCS manga about her in middle school? They've announced there's a new anime project in the works too.

:/

Were the P3 movies any good? I'd heard they weren't a patch on the games but I've yet to play P4G so while I think there's some link there I've only time for one super long JRPG before P5 which looks amazing

jgminto

The first was average, the second was incredibly dull and I wasn't interested enough to watch the rest. Unless you're a P3 exclusive supermegafan, I wouldn't recommend them and even then I probably wouldn't. There still hasn't been an SMT related anime worth watching.

pbayne

Remember how CLAMP is doing a new CCS manga about her in middle school? They've announced there's a new anime project in the works too.

:/

Wow? Wonder if itll be in OVA format. The manga is supposedly not running that long, so i wonder if they'll push this out to run alongside it or when it ends.

I don't even give a fuck, where the FUCK is my X. I've waited literally like FOURTEEN FUCKING YEARS. STILL WAITING.

I've only seen the 90's film...

Were the P3 movies any good? I'd heard they weren't a patch on the games but I've yet to play P4G so while I think there's some link there I've only time for one super long JRPG before P5 which looks amazing

Not really, they look real pretty but it does the game a disservice. I would only watch them after you've played P3 and feel like you want some extra pandering.

Cornbread78

Guilty Crown ep.17-19
Ofa0OS4.jpg
LbYhZ2R.jpg

If you could just pick out a few episodes, I'd have to say ep.19 is one of my favorites of the series so far. However, I can't say that good episode can override how horribly wrong this whole plot has gotten. Everything from
Gai being brought back from the dead, cutting off Shu's arm, and exerting his dominance to become the "one true king," to blondie class pres. becoming one of his minions and killing her own grandfather. Then you have Inori becoming a "monster" and thrashing everything in her way before she is taken down by a giant arrow void

This is all waaaaay out there. I will say the Shu x Inori moment in episode 18 was cute, but again, they skip the actual relationship development and just give you an image to bite on...

Episode 19 was really good because it had some actual emotion to it from Shu but from everyone. The moment Shu
popped the genome again, knowing he would die from it but he didn't care because he wanted to protect those around him that he could and go save Inori
That actuallu showed some good character development from the preior 6 or so episodes of him being a complete dictator "Hitler Shu" as someone called him here. Also, it was great to see him go all out to kill one of the antagonists that has been an a$$hole from day 1. Pretty much the whole episode was interesting, exciting and well done with a touch of emotion
Thank you Mom!

Let's see how they close this out now...

kewlmyc

They're alright. The first one is probably the best one since it does a good job characterizing P3 Protag.

Watch the Persona 3 movies if you're a fan of the series. Otherwise play the game first.

Still the movies are the best animated out of all the animated SMT/Persona properties.

kewlmyc

Lol. I'm a huge Persona 3 fan. The movies were shit. The animation isn't even that good!

Wouldn't go so far as saying their shit, but it's an 80 hour RPG reduced to around 400 minutes. It's mostly just focusing on the story which wasn't that great to begin with.

They are okay. Quite a lot of changes from the game which is far, far better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom