• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

zulux21

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood ep. 5-6
FY7IRCS.jpg
cYW6Aar.png

This show is pretty damn good, but man, does it have some serious emotional whiplash in its presentation.

it will get better about that, as stated before the first 12 eps of brotherhood cover the first 25 or so of the original series. the end result is a lot of stuff is glossed over or quickly covered that can result in some very odd pacing. Once it gets to the stuff the original didn't cover the pacing evens out a lot better.

I am actually hoping you fall in love with FMA, and want to watch more and then watch the original, as I am curious to see someone's reactions to watching brotherhood and then the original.

I pre-ordered The Girl Who Leapt Through Time a while ago since it was going on Blu-Ray again and got it from Funimation. It's not supposed to be released till June 7th and they just shipped it today.

I thought something had to be alive before you could kill it?

Ouch...then again I bought mine 3+ years after launch in a clearance sale and it was a day 1 3G model so it seems I wasn't the only one... Was worth it for Danganronpa and the never ending indie parade, great as a time killer in airports

jman2050

Space Patrol Luluco 9

Well that was abrupt. Gainax gonna Gain-- wait, hold on a second...

I'm looking forward to what nonsense comes in season 4!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
When is Luluco teaming up with Panty and Stocking?

Cornbread78

It seems to be a 15 minute prequel based on a VN spin-off they made.

I guess you wouldn't lose anything by watching that.

You dont need to watch it. But it is cool.

This show could have really used a good OVA to better wrap up the story because of the whirlwind fashion they closed it out without any true explanation of what anything was or why it happened...

At least the OST was amazing....

brawly

MHA | 7

Catching up. It's tropey as fuck but the superhero-theme has me invested. I'm not simulwatching any anime anymore, binging is just too good.

Just T

Space Patrol Luluco: 9

Well that got wild, never watched the Machspeed short though, meant to watch all of the animator shorts but forgot.

phaze

Violet Evergarden anime announced:

PVs are a bunch of lies and all that.

But I do really like the chara designs and the rest.
----
So I take it the background animation on ~0:10 cut is CG ? KyoAni have a real knack for making them feel completely integrated with their 2D stuff.

Katanagatari ep.2

Oh, I just remembered how hilarious the beginning of the episode was when she was making him wrap up in her hair and lick and sniff her all over so he can always tell who she is. It was funny, but also cute at the same time... good stuff.

There is more where that came from. Part of why I imagined you'd like the show.

What are you implying? :mad:

That there is a special place in hell for people who don't like Tatami Galaxy. <:

And
that Wings of Honneamise sucks !

duckroll

Girls und Panzer der Film

This was an anime movie that feels like a movie. More than I can say for many anime "movies" which end up being either extended OVAs, long episodes, or side stories. Not that there's anything wrong with a really good side story stand alone film though. There's just something special about how this feels. A surprise hit underdog anime series which no one expected, and not only does it not get quickly milked into lower quality sequels and spinoffs, but the feature film sequel the creators promised after the success turns out to be a reward for the fans in every way possible.

This is an incredibly smart movie, without exceptions. It's an unusually smart movie given that it's about high school girls fighting tank battles as a sport, but even compared action or sports films on a whole, the plotting and execution is something to behold. It is exciting, exhilarating, entertaining, funny, emotional, and it captures everything the series was good at without repeating a single beat. Characters who have known quirks and personalities don't beat you over the head with them using the same jokes you've seen before, the script takes pains to showcase other sides of the characters as much as possible, while exploring the progression of character relationships the series didn't have a chance to expand on. That doesn't mean that the characters try too hard to be different either. They mostly act the same way, but given new and refreshing situations, it can paint them in different light or allow them to shine in ways they didn't before.

The most commendable part of the film is how well designed every piece of it is. The majority of the two hour runtime is taken up by long extended tank battles, and not only are they very well designed, they are compartmentalized into very clever segments which are easy to follow, unique and interesting to watch, have different visual elements which set them apart, and ultimately build things up to the next stage of the overall plan. Brilliant stuff. I can't end this review without saying how amazing the music is either. That's to be expected though, since in terms of memorable themes, the TV series soundtrack worked so well. Even then, it was surprising how emotionally invested I got each time the -right- theme started up to denote the respective teams.

A++++

javac

@MVM_UK
Update on two titles. Serial Experiments Lain WILL be released on Blu-Ray. But only on BD.
Yes. About time.

That there is a special place in hell for people who don't like Tatami Galaxy. <:

And
that Wings of Honneamise suck !
I don't take pleasure in the fact that I didn't like The Tatami Galaxy, in fact as you can imagine I was really looking forward to it, after Ping Pong my expectations were at an all time high but in the end it just wasn't something that I cared to watch further. The show frustrated me immensely in its structure and no matter how good it got, it wasn't going to ever redeem itself after how much it soured me on the first episode, that feeling never faded, even after the show admittedly started getting better. I felt that same about Kaiba, although I did watch that the whole way through because I felt that each episode was different enough from the prior.

Also, take that back!

Just T

Ushio and Tora: 35

In the beginning I was wondering why they didn't seem all that concerned for Ushio, it was weird. Nice episode though, glad the memory problem was finally resolved, it was annoying knowing that was still in effect. Tora got fucked up but the entrance punch was good. And Ushio ready for another round.

javac

Fuck you just reminded me, I still haven't watched Sword of the Stranger. I'll watch that tomorrow. I bought the Blu-ray ages ago lol. So much to watch!

Kagewani II 09

CjfKzSaWsAEpc9o.jpg

are they injecting him with those things you use to open wine bottles

Man I don't give a fuck about this Jurassic Park playing God with dangerous DNA altering substances crap. Using the big bad evil monsters for your military is so tired. It feels like the creators didn't understand why the first season was refreshing and good. I'd have dropped this show by now if it wasn't so short. It was a lot better when it was closer to an anthology series about regular people accidentally walking into the territory of a cryptid. Man what a total disappointment.

Ushio and Tora 35

Tora just punching Hakumen in the face was fantastic. What an idiot.

I really like the voice they chose for Hakumen. It's not a typical gigantic villain voice, but it sounds so sinister, sneering and so full of malice. The mix of the whispering and angry voice is great. Hakumen's design is very 80s shonen and he's just a big youkai but the voice really helps Hakumen's presence.

phaze

- Disses Sword of the Stranger
- Talks shit about Royal Space Force

What a winner.

Another person with amazing taste on this board.

Oh I assure you, that's only the tip of the iceberg.

And didn't you dislike Tatami's ending or something ? Opinion discarded.

Promotes Nagi no Asukara

Wait what.

Yes. About time.

I don't take pleasure in the fact that I didn't like The Tatami Galaxy, in fact as you can imagine I was really looking forward to it, after Ping Pong my expectations were at an all time high but in the end it just wasn't something that I cared to watch further. The show frustrated me immensely in its structure and no matter how good it got, it wasn't going to ever redeem itself after how much it soured me on the first episode, that feeling never faded, even after the show admittedly started getting better. I felt that same about Kaiba, although I did watch that the whole way through because I felt that each episode was different enough from the prior.

Obviously, people reactions will differ and I don't begrudge you for yours. At the same time, I feel like the climax of Tatami - the last 2/3 episodes are such a supreme thing of beauty and to an extent, coincide with what you seem to like in your shows, that I must beseech you to grovel your way there, at some, removed in the future however far you want, point in time.
Also, take that back!
Nevah !

It's been so long that I don't actually remember much from the movie other than my negative reaction and that set of disgusting scenes.

T-Rex.

Banned
Garo

Sometimes going in blind is great because the show is awesome and it really surprises you. This was one of those times. I didn't randomly stumble onto it, I actually mistook it for Concrete Revolutio S2 since Leon and Jiro look kinda similar :p but anyway the show is damn good. The characters are interesting, the character development is good, the story is decent, but most importantly the fights are really good. I loved the last episode where Leon kept trying to transform only to get swatted down immediately cos I mean why would you let someone just power up when they're trying to kill you? Really satisfying ending as well.

Only negative is best girl died. RIP.

javac

Obviously, people reactions will differ and I don't begrudge you for yours. At the same time, I feel like the climax of Tatami - the last 2/3 episodes are such a supreme thing of beauty and to an extent, coincide with what you seem to like in your shows, that I must beseech you to grovel your way there, at some, removed in the future however far you want, point in time.

When you put it like that, I really appreciate the sentiment because it comes across as if you care and pay attention to the things that I admire in shows ;_; It also makes me feel like an ass for dismissing the show so early.

It obviously sucks having seen a show, knowing that it’s a perfect fit from somebody only for them to go "Nah", but hopefully when I do so people don't take it personally. I'm sure the show is great, I've been led to believe as such by people I trust such as yourself, but truth being told I really didn't like what I watched. Now will I give it another shot? Maybe, but rushing back in is just going to lead to a self-fulfilling prophecy of me hating it all over again because the feelings are still fresh. I'd rather give it a fair shake if I do watch it again, and so I'd like to cleanse myself of any negativity beforehand and not just watching it for the sake of it because everyone says I should. I've always been a believer in good things coming to those who wait when it comes to this stuff, at least that's what I tell myself when I finally get around to watching shows from over 30 years ago.

Nevah !

It's been so long that I don't actually remember much from the movie other than my negative reaction and that set of disgusting scenes.
It's been a long time for me too so I can't remember much either, but I remember loving it and I feel that watching it again on Blu-ray this time after all these years will only bring back those fond memories. I'm putting it on now and will write a review when I'm done, and as always that could take a while. I doubt anyone is hold their breath :p

duckroll

It's been a long time for me too so I can't remember much either, but I remember loving it and I feel that watching it again on Blu-ray this time after all these years will only bring back those fond memories. I'm putting it on now and will write a review when I'm done, and as always that could take a while. I doubt anyone is hold their breath :p

WHAT HAPPENED TO SWORD OF THE STRANGER?

javac

WHAT HAPPENED TO SWORD OF THE STRANGER?

That's tomorrow! Its 22:30 right now where I am, I'm going to watch this, write a bit, go to sleep and tomorrow watch Sword of the Stranger :p This is the only time I get to watch things in the living room, when everything is dark and quiet and I have to make the most of it! I won't forget, I promise!

Ascheroth

Danball Senki #41-44 (END)

HOLY SHIT
Awesome finish to an awesome show.

Danball Senki is a show about tiny toy robots doing big things.
It's a rollercoaster ride full of twists and turns, with tons of intense action and never a dull moment.
While the premise takes some suspension of disbelief (super strong and dangerous tiny toy robots that are also used as weapons yada yada), I say just take it as it is and roll with it, because those tiny toy robots are awesome.
Also worth mentioning is that the robots and some of the battle environments are CG, but that never bothered me one bit.

And the soundtrack. The soundtrack. Just. Damn.

For a more comprehensive look at Danball Senki, I'll just shamelessy link to Narags post.

Now, I'll probably read/watch some Getter Robo/Armageddon before I continue on with W and there's also still Penguindrum that wants to be finished (it's been great, but I got kinda distracted and I'm generally really bad when it comes to finishing shows, so yeah)

Line_HTX

Re: Zero 9 preview

It seems the characters have a really intriguing conversation.

&#12302;Re&#65306;&#12476;&#12525;&#12363;&#12425;&#22987;&#12417;&#12427;&#30064;&#19990;&#30028;&#29983;&#27963;&#12303;&#20844;&#24335; &#8207;@Rezero_official 8h8 hours ago

&#31532;9&#35441;&#12300;&#21191;&#27671;&#12398;&#24847;&#21619;&#12301;&#12398;&#20104;&#21578;&#21205;&#30011;&#12418;&#20844;&#38283;&#12375;&#12414;&#12375;&#12383;&#12540;&#12290;&#12373;&#12354;&#12289;&#12415;&#12394;&#12373;&#12435;&#12418;&#12372;&#19968;&#32210;&#12395;&#65281; &#12415;&#12423;&#12435;&#12415;&#12423;&#12435;&#12415;&#12423;&#12435;&#12415;&#12423;&#12435;&#12415;&#12423;&#12435;&#12415;&#12423;&#12435;&#12415;&#12423;&#12435;&#12415;&#12423;&#12435;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;

Myon myon myon myon myon myon...

And holy shit, 50 second previews. I don't think anyone's gone over 30 seconds before.

Danball Senki #41-44 (END)

HOLY SHIT
Awesome finish to an awesome show.

Danball Senki is a show about tiny toy robots doing big things.
It's a rollercoaster ride full of twists and turns, with tons of intense action and never a dull moment.
While the premise takes some suspension of disbelief (super strong and dangerous tiny toy robots that are also used as weapons yada yada), I say just take it as it is and roll with it, because those tiny toy robots are awesome.
Also worth mentioning is that the robots and some of the battle environments are CG, but that never bothered me one bit.

And the soundtrack. The soundtrack. Just. Damn.

For a more comprehensive look at Danball Senki, I'll just shamelessy link to Narags post.

Now, I'll probably read/watch some Getter Robo/Armageddon before I continue on with W and there's also still Penguindrum that wants to be finished (it's been great, but I got kinda distracted and I'm generally really bad when it comes to finishing shows, so yeah)

You'll be pleased to know that W is a roller-coaster with even more twists and turns than S1 and the robots get more and more ridiculous and awesome.

Though I certainly don't object to getting into Getter Robo beforehand!

I'll be satisfied when I see extreme suffering lol.

He's talking about Ascheroth finishing Danball Senki, haha.

ConRevo Episode 21
download.png

Look at this hero right here. He's got that hero smile down.

God, I would kill for a spinoff focusing on Raito.

Anyway, another solid episode. Seems like Jiro's misplaced optimism is coming back on him. Aki's life continues to be unpleasant.
Also, geez, I didn't see Claude "returning" like this. ConRevo is a show that likes to muse on the unintentional consequences of behavior. In unleashing that pollutant, Raito put an even bigger target on Jiro's head. However, this also may have seriously harmed one of his enemies. Master Ultima, despite his alien appearance, might be destroyed legally as a result of his shady business.

That's awesome.

Mushishi Zoku Sho 4

Even for Mushishi, this was a very strong episode. The sense of terror lurking in the darkness was palpable from the first scene to the last. This is one of the darkest, most frightening episodes of the whole series, even though it had a mostly positive ending, if one tinged with irrecoverable loss. Nagahama was storyboarder for this episode, as he is for almost all episodes of Zoku Sho, but the episode director was Nobukage Kimura, a frequent associate of Shigeyasu Yamauchi who most recently handled episode 9 of Rakugo Shinjuu. I wonder if he is partially responsible for the extra-powerful atmosphere here.

Link Man

Banned
Gotta say, Bungo Stray Dogs is one of my favorite shows this season, glad it's getting another cour this fall. Great blend of comedy and action.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
&#12302;Re&#65306;&#12476;&#12525;&#12363;&#12425;&#22987;&#12417;&#12427;&#30064;&#19990;&#30028;&#29983;&#27963;&#12303;&#20844;&#24335; &#8207;@Rezero_official 8h8 hours ago

&#31532;9&#35441;&#12300;&#21191;&#27671;&#12398;&#24847;&#21619;&#12301;&#12398;&#20104;&#21578;&#21205;&#30011;&#12418;&#20844;&#38283;&#12375;&#12414;&#12375;&#12383;&#12540;&#12290;&#12373;&#12354;&#12289;&#12415;&#12394;&#12373;&#12435;&#12418;&#12372;&#19968;&#32210;&#12395;&#65281; &#12415;&#12423;&#12435;&#12415;&#12423;&#12435;&#12415;&#12423;&#12435;&#12415;&#12423;&#12435;&#12415;&#12423;&#12435;&#12415;&#12423;&#12435;&#12415;&#12423;&#12435;&#12415;&#12423;&#12435;………

Myon myon myon myon myon myon...

And holy shit, 50 second previews. I don't think anyone's gone over 30 seconds before.
You can get away with 50 second previews when you consistently cut out the OP/ED. This show is the best.

However, I'm gonna stay strong and not watch it til Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom