• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
So, I've recently realised I haven't really watched many Ghibli Studio films and I should probably fix that.

I have watched Grave of the Fireflies and The Wind Rises and liked both. I should say that I do not really like whimsical/magical things which appear to be the majority of the rest of the films. What should I start from? What might I like?

Edit: I think I'll try "From Up on Poppy Hill" or "Only Yesterday"

Also, I stopped watching Flying Witch. It was just a bit dull and I wasn't into the whole "witch" concept.

So, I've recently realised I haven't really watched many Ghibli Studio films and I should probably fix that.

I have watched Grave of the Fireflies and The Wind Rises and liked both. I should say that I do not really like whimsical/magical things which appear to be the majority of the rest of the films. What should I start from? What might I like?

I can't say what you'll like, but I'd probably start with Porco Rosso, Only Yesterday and When Marnie Was There.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Gundam Wing 12

z6ixtQP.gif

You are not going to last.

Is it weird that I'm going to try to grind through Big Order even though I think everyone should just fucking die? I think the only one I give a shit about is Rin and I don't care if she dies either.

Theonik

Girls und Panzer der Film

This was an anime movie that feels like a movie. More than I can say for many anime "movies" which end up being either extended OVAs, long episodes, or side stories. Not that there's anything wrong with a really good side story stand alone film though. There's just something special about how this feels. A surprise hit underdog anime series which no one expected, and not only does it not get quickly milked into lower quality sequels and spinoffs, but the feature film sequel the creators promised after the success turns out to be a reward for the fans in every way possible.

This is an incredibly smart movie, without exceptions. It's an unusually smart movie given that it's about high school girls fighting tank battles as a sport, but even compared action or sports films on a whole, the plotting and execution is something to behold. It is exciting, exhilarating, entertaining, funny, emotional, and it captures everything the series was good at without repeating a single beat. Characters who have known quirks and personalities don't beat you over the head with them using the same jokes you've seen before, the script takes pains to showcase other sides of the characters as much as possible, while exploring the progression of character relationships the series didn't have a chance to expand on. That doesn't mean that the characters try too hard to be different either. They mostly act the same way, but given new and refreshing situations, it can paint them in different light or allow them to shine in ways they didn't before.

The most commendable part of the film is how well designed every piece of it is. The majority of the two hour runtime is taken up by long extended tank battles, and not only are they very well designed, they are compartmentalized into very clever segments which are easy to follow, unique and interesting to watch, have different visual elements which set them apart, and ultimately build things up to the next stage of the overall plan. Brilliant stuff. I can't end this review without saying how amazing the music is either. That's to be expected though, since in terms of memorable themes, the TV series soundtrack worked so well. Even then, it was surprising how emotionally invested I got each time the -right- theme started up to denote the respective teams.

A++++
Great post! Besides what you said what I liked was that they focused on traits of characters that weren't highlighted in the show but provide more context for the show, many times when this bus done it feels like a retcon. Not here though! The movie would probably make a rewatch of the series better.

Jeez. Lol.
My final act as VP of our university anime society was to force everyone to watch sword of the stranger.

TrueBlue

Yuki Yuna 1 - 4

Busted this out on UK Netflix, watching the dub.

It's pretty good so far, though it seems mostly standard fare with hints of something deeper. The main cast are all likeable and distinct, and I can't really point to one being the weak link thus far. My favourite would probably have to be Togo. She's awesome.

Speaking of Togo, I have to say I really like the designs of the hero outfits. Hers especially is great as it doesn't just handwave her disability and instead allows her to move in a completely different way to the others.

The battles so far have been pretty good as well. While the alternate reality they fight in obviously draws comparisons to Madoka, the visual style of said reality helps to differentiate it. The Vertex look appropriately weird as well. In general I think the battles have been decently paced and stylish, though I feel that the show is just getting started in this regard.

I also like how the show lets the characters breathe. The entire fourth episode is pretty much slice of life, but it's well done. Such a focus helps to supplement the group dynamics, and it's nice to see that happen outside of fight scenes. Karin's defrosting towards the group is a good example of this I think.

So yeah, it's solid. Surprisingly amusing and pretty show with likeable characters, interactions and good action. There are a couple of slow moments here and there, but on the whole I'm eager to see more.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Great post! Besides what you said what I liked was that they focused on traits of characters that weren't highlighted in the show but provide more context for the show, many times when this bus done it feels like a retcon. Not here though! The movie would probably make a rewatch of the series better.
It's weird that they never explain why the land is dead and everyone abandoned it though. Or maybe they did. lol

Yuki Yuna 1 - 4
Speaking of Togo, I have to say I really like the designs of the hero outfits. Hers especially is great as it doesn't just handwave her disability and instead allows her to move in a completely different way to the others.
My biggest issue with the show was how they handled Togo's outfit, it was great that they went with a concept that wasn't just
'she can walk again'
but it was really off putting that her transformation scene is basically 'put Togo in bondage and squeeze her chest'.

TrueBlue

My biggest issue with the show was how they handled Togo's outfit, it was great that they went with a concept that wasn't just
'she can walk again'
but it was really off putting that her transformation scene is basically 'put Togo in bondage and squeeze her chest'.

Yeah, that was kinda unnecessary. But honestly I'm so desensitised to stuff like that by now that I almost didn't notice. Aside from that sequence I think the outfit is great, and I don't think they focus on those aspects much outside of the transformation.

I'm only 4 episodes in, mind. Maybe they do focus more on that stuff? That'd be a shame.

Yeah, that was kinda unnecessary. But honestly I'm so desensitised to stuff like that by now that I almost didn't notice. Aside from that sequence I think the outfit is great, and I don't think they focus on those aspects much outside of the transformation.

I'm only 4 episodes in, mind. Maybe they do focus more on that stuff? That'd be a shame.

No they don't really but it is there enough that just when I'd relax and enjoy the show a weird moment of fan service would throw me off again. It's one of those things that if the show was worse with the typical cardboard trope-y characters I could just ignore it as I have in others but when I actually care about them it stands out more. Still a good show but for me these moments held it back from greatness, Togo's transformation was an awesome character moment that I'd been waiting for so to have the sequence go that way had me sighing 'oh anime' somewhat spoiling the moment.

TrueBlue

No they don't really but it is there enough that just when I'd relax and enjoy the show a weird moment of fan service would throw me off again. It's one of those things that if the show was worse with the typical cardboard trope-y characters I could just ignore it as I have in others but when I actually care about them it stands out more. Still a good show but for me these moments held it back from greatness, Togo's transformation was an awesome character moment that I'd been waiting for so to have the sequence go that way had me sighing 'oh anime' somewhat spoiling the moment.

Fair enough.

As I said, I think I'm fairly desensitised to things like that, and I'm not even particularly averse to fanservice - so I guess it'll just pass me by.

I dunno if that's a good thing or not lol, but hopefully I won't feel the same way.

Fair enough.

As I said, I think I'm fairly desensitised to things like that, and I'm not even particularly averse to fanservice - so I guess it'll just pass me by.

I dunno if that's a good thing or not lol, but hopefully I won't feel the same way.

I watched all of Fate/kaleid liner PRISMA ILLYA and am eagerly awaiting the next season so I hear you :) Yuki Yuna is a good show otherwise it's just those bits managed to be the 'mote in my eye' in this case but I can ignore far worse in the case of Illya, no idea why.

duckroll

Lost (JP Anime Knockoff Version) - Episode 9

This was so boring I literally nodded off several times throughout the episode. The direction is stale. There's no longer much that's very interesting about the mysteries or the character dynamics, and it feels like it's being drawn out before the finale now. Boring and lame. Where is my Kiznaiver?

My final act as VP of our university anime society was to force everyone to watch sword of the stranger.

Good man.

Monster Strike 25

Recently the comedy of this show has been overshadowed by all these battles that they need to have. I wouldn't have minded this if the battles were actually good, but they aren't.

The CGI that suddenly emerged in the second half is just so bad that I can't take the fights seriously, it tries to be cool but it looks so awkward.

Besides that, even the strategy of the battles don't make that much sense, I know they have to do one fight per eight-minute episode. But when the battle was basically: "I need to shoot this target but I can't because it's covered in trees so I'm going to shoot through other trees in order to combo with a water character which suddenly allows me to destroy the first batch of trees", I'm left unsatisfied.

TrueBlue

I watched all of Fate/kaleid liner PRISMA ILLYA and am eagerly awaiting the next season so I hear you :) Yuki Yuna is a good show otherwise it's just those bits managed to be the 'mote in my eye' in this case but I can ignore far worse in the case of Illya, no idea why.

That is a bit strange, one standard for one but not for another? :p

That is a bit strange, one standard for one but not for another? :p
Yeah I give Prisma a pass mostly because I need a Fate story where Illya doesn't get totally screwed over by the plot! The context also makes a difference for me, Prisma is stupid fun where YY is reaching for PMMM levels of seriousness so the stuff I can roll my eyes at and skip to get to the next fun bit in Prisma is harder to skip past in YY because I am paying so much attention. It's all part of that odd anime filter I think we all develop that lets me enjoy Bakemonogatari but also toothbrushes.

javac

Wasn't someone just saying yesterday that Anime Limited hasn't licensed "quality anime" in a while? :p

I haven't seen it so I can't comment <_<

Seems to be a good acquisition for Anime Limited, should be cheaper than the ponycanyon release I'd imagine while still being decent quality packaging wise.

I'd imagine that it'd be split across multiple sets due to committee requirements?

Evangelion rewatch - 06

It's hard to get bored watching Eva when it features an insane amount of interesting shots. I also was never particularly fond for technobabble and elaborate UIs but when it's done this well, it's hard not to appreciate that.

I haven't seen it so I can't comment <_<

Seems to be a good acquisition for Anime Limited, should be cheaper than the ponycanyon release I'd imagine while still being decent quality packaging wise.

I'd imagine that it'd be split across multiple sets due to committee requirements?

I wouldn't know what to guess to be honest. AL have never split a single cour show to my knowledge, but of course they've gone as high as 4 sets for 24 episodes when forced by Aniplex, so this might be a first.

But yes it's a good acquisition.

javac

Anime Limited just announced that they've also licensed Re:Zero for the UK.

EDIT:
MVM Licenses:
  • 11 Eyes
  • Busou Shinki: Armored War Goddess
  • Gate
  • Girls Beyond the Youth KOYA
  • Monster Musume
  • Norn9
  • Nurse Witch Komugi-chan R
  • Skip Beat! Parts 1 & 2 (with English dub, BD)
  • Undefeated Bahamut Chronicle

Tanaka-kun is Always Listless Episode 8 – Ohta-kun's Ordeal

Perfect bl episode, I loved every moment and probably best episode yet. Tanaka led episodes for Ohta are always the best moments.

The whole time caring for him, lol.

javac

MCM Announcements (so far):
Anime Limited
  • Black Butler: Book of Circus
  • Bungou Stray Dogs
  • Dimension W
  • High School Fleet
  • Kiznaiver
  • Persona 3 The Movie: No. 1, Spring of Birth
  • Persona 3 The Movie: No. 2, Midsummer Knight's Dream
  • Persona 3 The Movie: No. 3, Falling Down
  • Persona 3 The Movie: No. 4, Winter of Rebirth
  • Re:Zero
  • Sound! Euphonium
  • Twin Star Exorcists
Fullmetal Alchemist Ultimate Edition Pre-orders: http://fullmetal.alltheanime.com/

MVM
5th September 2016
  • Log Horizon Season Two (Blu-ray and DVD)
Late 2016
  • 11 Eyes*
  • Busou Shinki: Armored War Goddess*
  • Chobits (Blu-Ray)
  • Gate*
  • Girls Beyond the Youth KOYA*
  • Monster Musume*
  • Norn9*
  • Nurse Witch Komugi-chan R*
  • Original Tenchi Muyo! OVAs (Blu-ray and DVD)
  • Owarimonogatari (Blu-ray and DVD)
  • Photo Kano*
  • Re-Kan!*
  • Sakura Trick*
  • Serial Experiments Lain (Blu-ray)
  • Skip Beat! Parts 1 & 2 (with English dub, BD)
  • Undefeated Bahamut Chronicle*

Universal
  • 2016 Berserk TV series (Collector's Edition)
  • Drifters (Collector's Edition)

Manga Entertainment
  • Death Note (Blu-ray)
  • Digimon Seasons 1 & 2* (TV edit)
  • Rock Lee & His Ninja Pals (DVD, two box sets)
  • Soul Eater Not!*

Animatsu Entertainment
  • Hanayamata*
  • Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto* (2017)
  • Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions -Heart Throb-*
  • Punch Line*
  • Trinity Seven*
*Format to be decided.

Just T

Mayoiga: 9

Sad story for Hayato but if you haven't noticed by now he still crazy as fuck. Mitsumune stood up for himself but still trust Misaki a bit too much tbh. And Misaki just keeps putting herself in suspicion and yada yada yada.

Should be interested in the cliffhanger but nah.

Taruranto

Lost in Silent Hill #9

You call yourself a turbonerd and never played FFVII dude?

Ok, I'll admit I have no idea what the hell is going on in this show anymore. There are even the Others from Lost now. At this point I expect anything. Even ANCIENT ALIENS.

Speedstar backstory sucked by the way. I liked him better when he was a gay Yandere.

Fullmetal Alchemist Ultimate Edition Packaging:

320-page art-book, limited to 970 units. SRP of £299.99. £124.99 if you order between now and July 5th, then £149.99 until October 1st. Box is approximately 31cm high x 25cm width.
https://twitter.com/ukanime

Hey, that's the Zohar!

kewlmyc

Kiznaiver 08

Here's the romantic episode people have been waiting for. I wasn't expecting them to literally make a chart describing everyone's romantic feelings at this point. Seems everyone was on point about Nico liking Tenga.

And that ending was brutal.
He just ran off in the middle of her confessing. Kacchon really gives no romantic fucks about Chidori

pbayne

Voices of a Distant Star

I remember this being on TV for some reason years and years ago, and surprisingly my memory of it was pretty good.

Children who Chase Lost Voices

Now that was a quality feature film. Not the best of Shinkai imo but still a very enjoyable movie.

blurr

Edit: I think I'll try "From Up on Poppy Hill" or "Only Yesterday"

Also, I stopped watching Flying Witch. It was just a bit dull and I wasn't into the whole "witch" concept.

Only Yesterday is great.

I would also suggest Kiki's Delivery Service and Tale of Princess Kaguya, they do have some fantasy elements but the movies are more than meets the eye.

duckroll

Gundam the Origin III

That was fucking amazing. The best one yet, and it really shows how powerful the Char story can be when done in this really operatic but yet serious and passionate way. Everything is so dramatic, intense, and expressions are all a little over the top, but yet you feel the energy in every scene. The way the direction handled the tension between Char and Garma in every scene they interacted in was so good. Fuck. FUCK. All the problems I had with the Char voice in Origin II is gone here, because once he's in the academy, he becomes Char and there is no more dissonance.

Can't wait for IV.

Qurupeke

Kiznaiver 8
Set up episode but what an amazing finale. I can't believe how much Chidori got wrecked on this. I feel so bad for her. She must be absolutely devastated. :'(

At least things are going smoothly for the other two pairs. Though I'm interested in Tenga->Chidori.

I need the next episode now!!! :(

cj_iwakura

Initial D Fourth Stage: Project D
Episode 6

Best episode in a long time, felt like Takumi was finally meeting his match.

Still kind of bummed that Ryosuke didn't branch out more. At very least Impact Blue should have gotten an invite. I would have included the best racer from every district. Impact Blue from Usui, Takumi from Akina, Keisuke from Akagi, Kogashiwa from Irohasaka, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom