• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Katanagatari ep.4
kata31.png

Don't fuck with Nee-Chan everyone.... It was fun to watch her beat up on the Maniwani for once, but she is totally OP and a psycho, lol..

The interactions between the two mains is still the best part of the show since he has no idea about anything to do with female relations, or anything about love, but he keeps reminding her of that, lol. The end of the episode verbal recap of his inanimate sword battle was pretty good as well.

Andrew J.

Girls und Panzer: Der Film

An absolutely great movie, carrying forward the series's combination of cute comedy, tactical battles, and just the right amount of sincere emotion. The battles are as fun to watch as any fight scene you could name, full of clever ideas and directed to make everything clear to the audience.

For sure there are nits to pick - the middle part drags a bit, having the supposed end result of the series nullified is annoying, and the University team having two bullshit superweapons is a transparent attempt to top the impact of the Maus - but ultimately these are minor concerns. Strongly recommended, at least for people who've watched the TV series, which I also strongly recommend.

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2 13

NOOOOOOOOOOOO! WHAT!?!?!? GODDAMMIT!!!! WHY? What the shit!? F
Rolo
!! F this show!!! F mecha anime! F anime! F life! This is bullshit!!!

Edit: (Sigh) ...I just...I just don't know if I have the heart to continue. I mean...I will, but this last episode hurt. It was so senseless. God...

I am gonna take a few minutes before I start the next episode. I just want to finish this show now. I've come this far...

Episode 1

Episode 8

Didn't catch that scenery the second time around, really makes me appreciate the episode more but that still doesn't explain the pinpoint accuracy of the emotional GPS whereas at the other times it was shown it was a gradual attraction in successive bursts by the one sending out that emotion.

Rolo

Yeah...that part hurt...a lot. But you might feel at least a little for the little dude in due time. But I still don't forgive him.

Rolo

Edit: (Sigh) ...I just...I just don't know if I have the heart to continue. I mean...I will, but this last episode hurt. It was so senseless. God...

I am gonna take a few minutes before I start the next episode. I just want to finish this show now. I've come this far...

Finish and embrace the trainwreck

Jarmel

Banned
Didn't catch that scenery the second time around, really makes me appreciate the episode more but that still doesn't explain the pinpoint accuracy of the emotional GPS whereas at the other times it was shown it was a gradual attraction in successive bursts by the one sending out that emotion.

The point is that he remembered the place and ran to it. She just happened to be there.

Yeah...that part hurt...a lot. But you might feel at least a little for the little dude in due time. But I still don't forgive him.

I will never forgive or forget. Little bastard can die in a fire.

Finish and embrace the trainwreck

People said the same thing as I started to get towards the end of School Days...

...Oh God!

School Days was...not a good experience for me. Literally felt traumatized by the end of it. And I watched that because I was curious about the show just like I did with this...

...What is wrong with me. Why do I keep making these decisions!

You can do it. This is a once in a lifetime journey. Nobody can ever experience Code Geass for the first time again.

It'll all be worth it.

People said this too... *cries*

Rolo

I cannot wait for your reactions to the later episodes. :)

EDIT: Don't worry, the ending isn't School Days levels of horrifying. I'll tell you that much.

Katanagatari ep.4

Don't fuck with Nee-Chan everyone.... It was fun to watch her beat up on the Maniwani for once, but she is totally OP and a psycho, lol..

The interactions between the two mains is still the best part of the show since he has no idea about anything to do with female relations, or anything about love, but he keeps reminding her of that, lol. The end of the episode verbal recap of his inanimate sword battle was pretty good as well.

I remember being blueballed so hard by this episode after the preview for it at the end of 3.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Kanbanari episode 1-4

Guys, four episodes in and its still keeping the level of quality of animation, sound design and story, im really liking it.

Seems most if not all of this is gonna take place on a train that is slowly getting fucked up.
Interesting how they're gonna revolve a story around this, I wonder if its gonna be like movies that take place in a single room

The point is that he remembered the place and ran to it. She just happened to be there.

But why did he run to it in the first place? I assume it was emotional GPS because Sonozaki's entire point (which she states) was making sure the experiment succeeded, so she "did something" to trigger Katsuhira to dash towards her. If it was purely off memory then why didn't he run there everytime he wanted to see Sonozaki (the last time he tracked Sonozaki down was at the top of a skyscraper, unrelated to the scene you posted).

Three episodes into Fractale, and I am really starting to enjoy it. It kind of reminds me of a Ghibli production in a way, in that it just throws you into the world and enchants you with charming characters. Nessa's positivity is also way too infectious.

Ah, Fractale. Not that I watched it, but I remember the discussion about it when it was airing being amusing.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I will never forgive or forget. Little bastard can die in a fire.

People said the same thing as I started to get towards the end of School Days...

...Oh God!

School Days was...not a good experience for me. Literally felt traumatized by the end of it. And I watched that because I was curious about the show just like I did with this...

...What is wrong with me. Why do I keep making these decisions!

People said this too... *cries*
Code geass isnt like school days, code geass is just exponentially batshit insane, but also exponentially entertaining

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Three episodes into Fractale, and I am really starting to enjoy it. It kind of reminds me of a Ghibli production in a way, in that it just throws you into the world and enchants you with charming characters. Nessa's positivity is also way too infectious.
Oh that means you got random tragedy thing right? I don't remember anything about the show other than there was the one point at the end of 3 where the show became hilarious. This was before anyone even knew that Okada did that kind of shit.

And yeah, apparently the main direction for the show was to try to make it as Ghibli as possible. lol

Jarmel

Banned
But why did he run to it in the first place? I assume it was emotional GPS because Sonozaki's entire point (which she states) was making sure the experiment succeeded, so she "did something" to trigger Katsuhira to dash towards her. If it was purely off memory then why didn't he run there everytime he wanted to see Sonozaki (the last time he tracked Sonozaki down was at the top of a skyscraper, unrelated to the scene you posted).

His memory started coming back this episode, for reasons unknown I guess. He ran to possibly the last place before he lost his memory and where he saw Sonozaki jump. Sonozaki is presumably going to give him an extra push next episode so he returns to normal.

I cannot wait for your reactions to the later episodes. :)

EDIT: Don't worry, the ending isn't School Days levels of horrifying. I'll tell you that much.

*Breaths a sigh of relief.*

Code geass isnt like school days, code geass is just exponentially batshit insane, but also exponentially entertaining

Well, I guess I shall see.

Code Geass R2 14

For a moment I was saying "Screw you Lelouch. How dare you say that after what he did to
Shirley
." But then we quickly learn his plans and I was like, "Yes. Sweet, sweet revenge." Too bad nothing happened to him this episode. So close.

And man did this episode escalate quickly. At the beginning (and still quite a bit now), the
death of Shirley
stuck with me and seeing many characters react to it the way they did was heartbreaking. Though I cannot help but be a little peeved at
Suzaku for taking advantage of the situation and spread the lie that he killed Shirley even if he does believe it (which I don't believe for a second he does).
He's just pushing his hatred of Lelouch onto others at this point.

jman2050

Rolo

I'm not gonna lie, I laughed like mad when this happened. Although that's probably because Euphinator killed any chance I had of taking the rest of the show seriously and this was par for the course. Also cause I can be a sadistic SOB sometimes.

But don't worry, this show goes places, you won't be disappointed finishing it.

His memory started coming back this episode, for reasons unknown I guess. He ran to possibly the last place before he lost his memory and where he saw Sonozaki jump. Sonozaki is presumably going to give him an extra push next episode so he returns to normal.

"Reasons unknown" is pretty much why I posed my question/critique in the first place, the ending scene of that episode threw me off at how sudden and confusing it was for me.

Gvitor

I need to watch Code Geass at some point..

Right there with ya.

Re:Zero 09

What in the world. Sometimes I think this show introduces a bunch of stuff it really doesn't need, such as magical beasts and the you-can-do-anything type of magic, and then it goes batshit crazy with Rem's transformation, more stuff that will go unexplained. It was entertaining as hell though.

Tanaka-kun - 04

So after giving Kiznaiver a second try, this one seemed to deserve one, too. Episode 3 was ok-ish, albeit with an incredible 'confession' animation sequence, and episode 4 was actually quite fun. Shiraishi reminded me of Miyazawa from KareKano and this was the first time the comedy worked for me. Similarly to Flying Witch, I also appreciate the relaxed nature of this show.

Visuals really are quite nice, although I'm afraid this show suffers from severe cheeky mouths which is unfortunate.

Gundam Build Fighters 13

The baseball gimmick was a creative touch - an unconventional way of using Gunpla, just like the cotton in Beargguy. I would have liked this better if there hadn't been so much contrivance surrounding the fight though - the behind the scenes manipulation is one thing, but Reiji's wrist injury is an unnecessary complication and the "one more system" Deus Ex Machina that allowed Sei and Reiji to win was eye-roll worthy. I was hoping for some actual strategy.

Tanaka-kun - 04

So after giving Kiznaiver a second try, this one seemed to deserve one, too. Episode 3 was ok-ish, albeit with an incredible 'confession' animation sequence, and episode 4 was actually quite fun. Shiraishi reminded me of Miyazawa from KareKano and this was the first time the comedy worked for me. Similarly to Flying Witch, I also appreciate the relaxed nature of this show.

Visuals really are quite nice, although I'm afraid this show suffers from severe cheeky mouths which is unfortunate.

Can you explain what you mean by "cheeky mouths"?

Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection 'F'
maxresdefault.jpg

So finally got around to watching this. Let's just get one part out of the way, the
time travel shenanigans
towards the end are fuckin stupid. Not enjoyably Dragon Ball Z stupid, just stupid. That said, it's still a pretty enjoyable movie. The plot never stalls out, the fights are fun. (It's nice to see Master Roshi kicking ass.) Wish 18 could have participated...but whatever. Visually the film is mixed, CG rears its ugly head a lot. I know some people were disappointed to see Frieza return, but to me, he's just a fun villain to watch.

To sum it up, despite some issues, fans will still find a lot to enjoy here.

(What the hell was up with the credits song though?)

I'm not gonna lie, I laughed like mad when this happened. Although that's probably because Euphinator killed any chance I had of taking the rest of the show seriously and this was par for the course. Also cause I can be a sadistic SOB sometimes.

But don't worry, this show goes places, you won't be disappointed finishing it.

Well...I've never doubted you all these years, not gonna start now.

We all know what happens when you cross best girl status with C2...

Pizza... and death... mostly pizza

C2 is okay I guess.
I feel like this doesn't bode well for Collin then, huh?

Basically when the mouth is sort of drawn on the cheeks in profile shots.

Oh, I see what you mean. I wouldn't describe that, where the mouth is set a little bit in from the edge of the face instead of linking up directly with it, as being "on the cheeks" myself. It's not a rare technique, and I can't say it bothers me.

Oh, I see what you mean. I wouldn't describe that, where the mouth is set a little bit in from the edge of the face instead of linking up directly with it, as being "on the cheeks" myself. It's not a rare technique, and I can't say it bothers me.

It being on the cheek is exaggeration to get the point across. I think I read about this on TvTropes (here, with an egregious K-on example) first and thought the name is quite apt. Also yes, it's rather common and obviously takes more effort to draw actual jaws on profile shots. It's also dependent on the character design, of course.

It just looks so unnatural and just gets weirder the longer you consider it. So it became a pet-peeve of mine.

It being on the cheek is exaggeration to get the point across. I think I read about this on TvTropes (here, with an egregious K-on example) first and thought the name is quite apt. Also yes, it's rather common and obviously takes more effort to draw actual jaws on profile shots. It's also dependent on the character design, of course.

It just looks so unnatural and just gets weirder the longer you consider it. So it became a pet-peeve of mine.

Unlike that TV Tropes page, I don't consider this to be an example of poor animation quality. I think this shot from Mushishi is excellent, for example:

It's just a stylistic choice. Animation doesn't have to try to mimic real life precisely.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
And because animating a concave mouth would be really hard work.

Unlike that TV Tropes page, I don't consider this to be an example of poor animation quality. I think this shot from Mushishi is excellent, for example:

It's just a stylistic choice. Animation doesn't have to try to mimic real life precisely.

Well obviously. That shot hardly even has that issue. The man isn't looking straight to the left.

snack

I'm not huge on anime, only watched a couple anime series' before (Gundam Seed and Gundam Seed Destiny I think).

Is Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans worth watching?

Ascheroth

Right there with ya.

Re:Zero 09

What in the world. Sometimes I think this show introduces a bunch of stuff it really doesn't need, such as magical beasts and the you-can-do-anything type of magic, and then it goes batshit crazy with Rem's transformation, more stuff that will go unexplained. It was entertaining as hell though.

Well, I don't think those magical beasts are going to be a one-off thing. The show has proven itself to have solid worldbuilding. We also already got glimpses of the magic system, and I'm pretty sure we'll get more once Subaru decides to really learn it or simply has to investigate it.
And the Rem/Ram stuff has been foreshadowed for ages now. Ages. Remember the red/blue Oni story and how they always reacted when the word Oni was mentioned? Yep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom