• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
I guess this is what makes MHA so confusing for me. I really am just at a loss as to the appeal of Deku. He doesn't really have much of a history. He has no significant familial ties or friendships. There's not a lot going on there emotionally or intellectually, and his goals are simple minded. The vulnerabilities that he does have seem like concessions created to let a very general population have an easier time relating to the character.

Deku is pretty smart actually and there's a number of cases in the manga where he outthinks someone or is able to analyze things resulting in a beneficial outcome.

Wanderer5

I not sure what to see in the summer, through I guess Berserk at least, and maybe Orange interests me a bit. Depends what is on Crunchyroll, Funimation, or whatever I suppose.

Just T

Millennium Actress:

I've already seen Satoshi Kon's Paprika and Tokyo Godfathers, and used to the listen to the Paprika soundtrack a lot and came across the track "Run" from Millennium Actress, after hearing that I've been meaning to watch it for quite some time now and I finally did. I would say I enjoyed it overall; it starts with two documentary filmmakers filming the story of the retired star Chiyoko. As she tells her story the line between her actual life and her films blur.

It blurred so much that about halfway through the movie I just got so confused lol it didn't really bother me though since it stayed entertaining. The way they went through her life/films allowed them to show many different eras and the transitions were seamless, truly great. I think my favorite scene was this one when they actually used the track "Run" and you can see the times changing as Chiyoko was riding along.

I still feel like I've enjoyed Paprika the most and maybe even understood it more surprisingly haha but glad I finally checked this out, it was worth the time. Will probably check out Paranoia Agent next.

Another Episode with all the Strengths and Weaknesses of this show. More Cliffhangers, dramatic tension and the slight shift village setting is a little refreshing.

Deku is pretty smart actually and there's a number of cases in the manga where he outthinks someone or is able to analyze things resulting in a beneficial outcome.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the result of Deku's obsession with the heroes and quirks? He detailed literally everything he could learn about every hero and villain he met. It just turned out he could actually use that info once he got One For All.

OceanBlue

dimb might mean there's not much in the character for the viewer to invest in emotionally or intellectually.

Jarmel

Banned
MHA is not some Tolkien/Martin like work that makes it unadaptable. It's just for whatever reason, everybody is bringing their C game at best. A perfect example is Hayashi who is just reusing his GBF work and not even be able to match that quality. Compare his work on MHA and Kiznaiver and it's lightyears different.

You then have the art directors who I'm not even sure are competent. Shockingly they also worked on OPM which also had a ton of similar issues. OPM at least had the insane animation quality bailing it out.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You don't have to like the artist if you like his/her stuff.

I love community too.
Don't get me wrong, I like Harmon. But like all comics, he clearly has a disturbed personality that allows for his creativity.

I still love the part where he confessed to having a leg fetish, so he bought a mannequin leg as a "toy" and had to basically explain it to his girlfriends. Then he had to go through the angst of whether or not a girlfriend was good enough to get rid of his leg. That's probably where the Dean comes from. lol

Jarmel

Banned
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the result of Deku's obsession with the heroes and quirks? He detailed literally everything he could learn about every hero and villain he met. It just turned out he could actually use that info.

He's very good at coming up with stuff on the fly. He does a lot of research but he's also really fast on his feet.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I meant more in the broad sense of a person who is curious to learn about the world and wants to learn. Deku's base of knowledge comes from an otaku obsessive mentality that essentially idolizes the pursuit of useless information. It is a self serving message that winks back at the most hardcore fans of superhero garbage. More than that, these behavioral patterns are often only utilized for the sake of convenience. Deku does not investigate or really catalogue those surrounding him in school in the way one might think would fit this sort of personality.

zulux21

Re:Zero 9

I am so tired of this goddamn loop. Can we please move forward? Jesus.

but they are moving forward. They have been dropping lots of new info with each episode and despite being stuck in the same few days really building up things nicely.

highly doubt he dies there though, they have been good with the animation and he wasn't bit anywhere serious.

just to many important flags triggered to respawn this time. If I am wrong, not a big deal, despite going on longer really the arc keeps getting better with each episode.

Don't get me wrong, I like Harmon. But like all comics, he clearly has a disturbed personality that allows for his creativity.

I still love the part where he confessed to having a leg fetish, so he bought a mannequin leg as a "toy" and had to basically explain it to his girlfriends. Then he had to go through the angst of whether or not a girlfriend was good enough to get rid of his leg. That's probably where the Dean comes from. lol
This better not awaken anything in me....

Jarmel

Banned
I meant more in the broad sense of a person who is curious to learn about the world and wants to learn. Deku's base of knowledge comes from an otaku obsessive mentality that essentially idolizes the pursuit of useless information. It is a self serving message that winks back at the most hardcore fans of superhero garbage. More than that, these behavioral patterns are often only utilized for the sake of convenience. Deku does not investigate or really catalogue those surrounding him in school in the way one might think would fit this sort of personality.

It gets into spoilers a bit but he does analyze people around him
for example he starts to mirror Baku's fighting style because of the high agility
. It's not just the research stuff though, he's also good at coming up with combat strategies quickly and assessing situations.
For example with one villain he was able to assess his weakness fairly quickly with little to go on

Steins Gate 16

That was a really great episode. However, it was too freaking depressing.
That letter from Suzuha got to me. It made me sad because you could feel her dread and sorrow on how she failed everyone. That her life was basically a waste. It's just so depressing especially when she kept on repeating the sentence "I Failed". I got a bit teary eyed during that scene.

Seriously this anime is good but damn is it just an endless cycle of depression.

I knew it
, that Hashida was related to Suzuha. The reunion felt very bittersweet.

MHA is not some Tolkien/Martin like work that makes it unadaptable. It's just for whatever reason, everybody is bringing their C game at best. A perfect example is Hayashi who is just reusing his GBF work and not even be able to match that quality. Compare his work on MHA and Kiznaiver and it's lightyears different.

You then have the art directors who I'm not even sure are competent. Shockingly they also worked on OPM which also had a ton of similar issues. OPM at least had the insane animation quality bailing it out.

Shigemi Ikeda can be a proficient art director, but he and Atelier Musa are very prolific, so a lot depends on how much the show's director cares about investing in background quality. I expect most of their work is done quickly and cheaply.

Dragon Ball Super 45

Blehhhh didn't really like this arc. It would've been fine as a Goten/Trunks/Monoka little side adventure but it just wrapped around to Goku and Vegeta fighting again. Really?

Cornbread78

ReZero ep.9
Damn, life is harsh for Subaru, but at least he shows some guts. We knew something was up with Ren, but now we have visual proof.. I mean, it's going to suck having
another reset
but that should really help resolve the issue next time .

Dresden

Gu Panzer dF -

the first hour was pretty boring--like, the gimmicky personalities that come across so cleanly in the heat of battle feel stretched and worn during a rather extended stretch of downtime--but the second half was really fierce stuff. The all-star appeal of it reminded me of Eyeshield 21's final arc, as far as the concept goes, where all the rivals from the regular series gather together to defeat some greater foe. Here, the University team; there, the Americans.

Thankfully that's where the comparison ends. No 'black muscles' here; the movie will be remembered for the ingenuity of its setpieces and its daring storyboarding/camerawork. The second half of the movie is basically a nonstop brawl with steadily rising stakes (with the Bridge sequence getting a shout out for being really fucking cool), and ends with a wordless battle where the lack of verbal communication is testament to the coordination and skill of those involved. This was just really fun.

Re:Zero 09

I KNEW IT. THE SPELL. I KNEW THAT EVENT HADN'T HAPPENED FOR NO REASON!!! Goddamnit, I wish it had been something else because all signs were pointing towards that.
Rem died as well due to her good nature. Subaru didn't go grocery shopping with her so she ended up petting the dog that got her cursed.

The scene in which
she went berserk
was nuts. Lastly, I really hope that Subaru
doesn't die, simply because I don't want another reset lol.

Hey Anime-GAF,

I'm sorry but i have a weird question for you guys :

I'm looking for a gif i've seen before on GAF, it's a man calling some sort of hooker / prostitute agency, expecting a beautiful looking girl, but an ugly girl comes and he let her in...

I'm looking for the .gif, but also for the name of the anime. Thank you very much guys !

Steins Gate 17

I haven't realized it immediately but Okabe has really changed as a character. His character development has been really great. If you compare the Okabe from episode 1 to now they're completely different characters. His chunni personality and obnoxious personality has mostly disappeared. He's more serious and he expresses his emotions without being over the top.

The time loops really affected him greatly and the anime wonderfully conveys it. I'm proud to say this series is really doing a fantastic job especially with the time travel gimmick. Farris subplot in this episode was nicely done.

Cornbread78

Endride ep.9
Any anime where humans and dragons can interact in a peaceful way can always get a pass in my book. Not a bad episode overall and the adventure aspect has gotten much better the past couple episodes. I knew there was a reason Flaring was a good mascot/familiar character...

Narag

Space Battleship Yamato 8

gbBOm8ml.jpg
pK8PHqbl.jpg

9eABszOl.jpg
d8fyTlql.png

ZNpvwCsl.jpg
4WXM8mgl.png

TV ep 8, 2199 ep 6

Not a lot to this one as it was just the battle against the Pluto base. The path is cleared to exit the solar system and Earth will no longer be bombarded at least. What's amusing is the delayed fuse shells the Yamato uses against the reflective satellite cannon was actually a callback to the ticking down of the time bombs set by hand in the TV series.

NeonZ

Dessler looked human in the original???

For a while. Then, there's a scene where he walks through a corridor or something and we get his "real" appearance with blue skin. Although I don't think they ever try to make up an excuse for why he was using a different look initially, in spite of making that scene showing his appearance changing.

Jintor

i'm finding it difficult to believe mha is a 'bad' show. it's certainly not the sure-fire triumph I secretly hoped for but neither is it the vomit-strewn mess some of you making it out to be. It's a pretty solid middle of the road let down by plodding pacing, excessive flashbacks, and barely-above-competent art direction.

it really does emphasise how much of the manga's strengths are in the art and pacing though because yeeeeesh.

Another Episode with all the Strengths and Weaknesses of this show. More Cliffhangers, dramatic tension and the slight shift village setting is a little refreshing.

This show has no weaknesses. Love every episode, and every one leaves me excited for next week's. Favorite show of the season.

Subaru got so fucking close to the Good Ending this time! I hope he lived through this route. If not, I bet he's gonna try to kill that little dog and come off with a moderate/bad ending with everyone.

i'm finding it difficult to believe mha is a 'bad' show. it's certainly not the sure-fire triumph I secretly hoped for but neither is it the vomit-strewn mess some of you making it out to be. It's a pretty solid middle of the road let down by plodding pacing, excessive flashbacks, and barely-above-competent art direction.

it really does emphasise how much of the manga's strengths are in the art and pacing though because yeeeeesh.

MHA isn't a bad show, but quite the disappointment when it comes to being an adaption.

Moaradin

I think the adaption is pretty good for the most part. The only thing I'm disappointed in is that it isn't 2 cours, even though it feels like it should be.

kewlmyc

Is it the pacing that everyone has problems with? I can see that, despite liking that they split the first chapter into two episodes (made it more emotional). The Deku vs Bacchan fight was flashback central.

Cornbread78

Nijiiro Days ep.8-10
Nacchan just needs to confess already dammit. I like the tone of the show as it really depicts how a group of bros act when the aRe trying to hool up with girls by acting like good wingmen and helpin out; even if a little hazing of each other is involved. That reveal at the end with the imouto of one of the boys liking one of them, uh ohh.... lol

This is pretty good stuff and fun to watch.

Aki-at

Hey Anime-GAF,

I'm sorry but i have a weird question for you guys :

I'm looking for a gif i've seen before on GAF, it's a man calling some sort of hooker / prostitute agency, expecting a beautiful looking girl, but an ugly girl comes and he let her in...

I'm looking for the .gif, but also for the name of the anime. Thank you very much guys !

This?

Fp7lhmi.gif

It's from "Yondemasuyo, Azazel-san" and I think the second season.

Pretty funny show with outlandish humour but felt the first season was a lot stronger than the second, still recommended.

Jarmel

Banned
Kiznaiver-8
MezDnuz.png
1her18n.png

Holy fuck
So this is getting pretty meta. It's like I'm watching shipping wars on the internet inside an actual show. All we need now is for the characters to have a shipping chart, oh. All the interconnectivity between pairings is definitely reminding me of True Tears. It's probably going to end in the same amount of actual tears too. I'm not sure if I like this general direction for the narrative because that's when drama gets the heaviest and I think I would have liked more backgrounds for the other Kiznaivers and delving into them before getting to this point. Hisomu in particular feels really shallow and serves primarily as the monkey in the wrench. This is where I think it might have been better if the show was two-cour as we could have gotten more time and lead-up to this.
mYIXBlo.png

Lighting game still strong despite the occasional misstep.
This is somehow rivaling JoJo as the best looking show this season and it's actually improving visually. Is this Trigger? The lighting being this good is really aiding the drama as it's reflecting the darkness in the characters and showing the complexity of what each character is feeling. It seems the show is delving into the troubled history regarding the Kiznaiver experiments and the storm is great at not only creating locked room scenarios but also visually reflecting the turmoil in all the characters. It's thematically fitting that Katsuhira rushes into the storm when he possibly gets his memories back and is confronting Noriko.
139ladZ.png

Working hard to retain her title as Best Girl.
Let me just say that the ending was flat out amazing. It's not just that Chidori gets blown the fuck out in the most humiliating way possible. It's a really well directed scene on an audio-visual front. The zoom-in when he opens the door was a great character moment for Katsuhira as it seems like he's reverting back to what he was and reflects his current intensity. I wonder if Katsuhira's monotone speaking style will drop soon, representing his return to 'normality'.
The music was on point. Based Hayashi delivering. I can't rave enough about that last track. The sound direction should be applauded too for example the bass kicks in just when Katsuhira gets his memories so the audience knows it's a dramatic moment.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
All of those are really egregious shortcomings. But the story is also a total bore and most of the characters are lame. There's not really any defined plot or goal beyond general training. It just blows. The thirteen episode run will end and most people will be hard pressed to even find high moments that validate its existence.

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion 11-12

Going from a serious episode in episode 11 to something a little goofy in episode 12 was interesting to say the least. Shirley is still best girl.

But that ending to episode 12. Nooooo...

Link Man

Banned
Three episodes into Fractale, and I am really starting to enjoy it. It kind of reminds me of a Ghibli production in a way, in that it just throws you into the world and enchants you with charming characters. Nessa's positivity is also way too infectious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom