• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection 'F'
maxresdefault.jpg

So finally got around to watching this. Let's just get one part out of the way, the
time travel shenanigans
towards the end are fuckin stupid. Not enjoyably Dragon Ball Z stupid, just stupid. That said, it's still a pretty enjoyable movie. The plot never stalls out, the fights are fun. (It's nice to see Master Roshi kicking ass.) Wish 18 could have participated...but whatever. Visually the film is mixed, CG rears its ugly head a lot. I know some people were disappointed to see Frieza return, but to me, he's just a fun villain to watch.

To sum it up, despite some issues, fans will still find a lot to enjoy here.

(What the hell was up with the credits song though?)

The one by Momoiro clover Z? composed by Narasaki (Sayonara Zetsubou sensei OP, prison school OP) and arranged by him and Yuyoyuppe (one of babymetal composer). it's greaaaat!

Diamond is unbreakable 9

Get a feeling so complicated.
Koichi gone full Polnareff/Stroheim with his new haircut, and echoes turn into fat cell version. Yup, that was great. The transition between scene is still ace

Kiznaiver 8

The lighting is so good. Lol, that shipping scene is so damn meta. And then there's Nico and Tenga scene. Was expecting more of Tenga scene, but i guess this is the time for Kacchon and Nori-chan. And yeah, i guess this confirm that Tenga used to be bullied when he was a kid. His reaction when he heard that children got used in an experiment pretty much confirm it.

Ascheroth

I'm not huge on anime, only watched a couple anime series' before (Gundam Seed and Gundam Seed Destiny I think).

Is Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans worth watching?

Absolutely. There are a couple of weak episodes in the middle (but I believe not having to wait a week for an episode will balance that out a bit), but as a whole it was pretty good.
It's also getting a second season in fall.

blurr

I'm not huge on anime, only watched a couple anime series' before (Gundam Seed and Gundam Seed Destiny I think).

Yes, it's pretty enjoyable but a bit rough on the narrative.

Jintor

as a rule i don't mind cheek-mouth but that ritsu shot is pretty egregious. I didn't ever notice it in the actual show, though, so I guess it's not thaaaat big a deal.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

if it is or not, toonami-gaf is about to find out

wish us luck

Part of why Lovely Complex had so appealing character design to me were these damn nice mouths on profile shots:

I don't need it to be particularly detailed and close to reality. But I don't like it when it's clearly a profile shot, facing away from the camera at 90° , yet, there's a continuous patch of skin where an open mouth should be. The mouth itself meanwhile is located somewhere on the side of the face. Creepy!

Girls und Panzer der Film

Fantastic. I usually have a gripe with movie-only characters, but pretty much all of them in this were pretty fun, having enough time to shine alongside the regular cast.
Totsugeki-chan absolutely best.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Girls und Panzer is unique in that all related media, excepting possibly World of Tanks, is all canon. If there is a GuP, it will likely acknowledge the events of the movie.

Shergal

Sidemouths can a good tool to emphasize certain expressions but more often than not they're just bad construction, usually resulting from a poor artist on the job / lack of time.

IMO it especially doesn't work with the typical kind of streamlined pseudo-realistic anime designs.

Line_HTX

Toonami will start Iron Blooded Orphans this week.

Having been away from Gundam for a long long while because I got tired of looking at unlikable characters I hope IBO brings me back a little.

duckroll

Toonami will start Iron Blooded Orphans this week.

Having been away from Gundam for a long long while because I got tired of looking at unlikable characters I hope IBO brings me back a little.

Is it going to run for 50 straight weeks and go near parallel with the Japanese broadcast of season 2 in October, or will they be breaking?

Girls und Panzer is now the second most successful late-night anime movie after it overtook Madoka.

Movie had some incredible legs christie suspension like performance.

A work college, who is near 40 years old, just recommended a 'good' series, Elfen Lied.

Wat to do, animegaf?

Pack up and move, then don't make the mistake of telling people in your new life that you watch anime.

--------------

Tanaka-kun 8

There's a repeated and effective use of visual depth here, mostly to give Tanaka a comic sense of hopeless abandonment in an expansive environment; once it's used to underline the new-found difficulty of movement Ohta acquires after an ankle injury, which probably works even better when surrounded by shots and jokes emphasising Tanaka's physical incompetence.

I think I say this every episode, but the range of humour still impresses me. Even the silly, more traditional gags in this episode like "Woah, the world is red" got me.

Kiznaiver 8

Re: earlier discussion: The show emphasises Sonozaki's footfall with the audio right before Katsuhira's memory triggers. If people read the events that follow as being triggered by her physical presence they can't really be blamed. It's probably meant to be representative of her and the related memory taking precedence over Chidori in his thoughts suddenly, but given that he's located her previously in the show without help and the fact that they were apparently connected as children, I think it can be read either way without reaching and without detriment to the show. To me, that scene works because of the truth that the same instincts that will forge relationship connections and even save lives will also, inevitably, cause suffering for a few redheaded girls that would have fucked you if you said the word. Potential logical inconsistencies don't detract from the scene's impact.

The anticipation that was built by Sonozaki's slow walk into the event, knowing she will (and wanting to) have an impact, like a lonely Terminator or something, being segued into Katsuhira's epiphany was pretty great. That it came directly after him responding to Chidori's attempt to broach the topic of her feelings with the almost hilariously prosaic and unromantic prediction "is this about broccoli?" gives the situation a brutality that Okada's efforts to achieve would normally feel strained and overreaching; here they don't. RIP broccoli-chan.

A work college, who is near 40 years old, just recommended a 'good' series, Elfen Lied.

Wat to do, animegaf?

Well the best answers have already been taken so I'll have to go with asking him why and returning here with the gold that will surely flow forth. If it's not 'I watched when I was 18 and it was super cool and radical' then the prior two suggestions are probably your only hope

Grexeno

Is it going to run for 50 straight weeks and go near parallel with the Japanese broadcast of season 2 in October, or will they be breaking?
Well, the first season won't finish until November, so even if they are able to run season 2 immediately after they'll be about a month behind in the best case.

But that's only if they get some sort of simuldub agreement. If not they'll show another show then go back.

Qurupeke

I started playing Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth a few days ago and it's like the game is making fun of me for watching animes...

Beyond the Boundary 3
The more I watch, the more I have no idea what this anime is or what it tries to be. I'm generally a fan of happy or funny instances on a serious anime, they're like a breath of fresh air to more "dark" storylines. Beyond the Boundary has brought to its story some pretty heavy stuff like murder, suicide, depression and loneliness. But, the focus is barely on those, as far as the characters are concerned. Instead, it handles everything completely wrong. The "funny" aspects of it, are just terrible and the characters are caricatures and a bunch of fetishists. The way it treats them does disservice to what could be a very nice cast.

The show almost feels like it tries to be a parody of this kind of animes, but it isn't. Noragami S1 is actually very similar to this. Same setting, a similar duo of protagonists and even some similarities on their themes. Also, it has its fair share of cute or funny moments. But Noragami did a fine job incorporating them to its episodes. They weren't unnatural at all and they could make me appreciate them or laugh. Beyond The Boundary is mostly pandering. Which is not a bad thing per se, more like it doesn't really fit on the show. Hyouka also tried to capitalize on Chitanda's cutesy quite a few times, but it certainly didn't seem creepy and it was actually in character.

It's kind of amazing how good it looks though. It's a step down from Hyouka and it doesn't come close to Eupho, but still it looks better than a lot of stuff. And the battle scenes are just stunning, this episode had some pretty strong Madoka vibes on them. Such a shame that so much talent feels wasted on such a show. I feel like dropping it, considering I'll just keep getting disappointed, but there's something that captivates me.

javac

I've finally convinced my brother to watch Patlabor today and I'm going to re-watch the eternity of it with him, I'm so damn excited ;_; The greatest anime franchise of all time, and I'm going to watch it all over again :D TV timeline first and then the Movie timeline, because that's the only way to do it!

duckroll

I've finally convinced my brother to watch Patlabor today and I'm going to re-watch the eternity of it with him, I'm so damn excited ;_; The greatest anime franchise of all time, and I'm going to watch it all over again :D TV timeline first and then the Movie timeline, because that's the only way to do it!

What happened to Sword of the Stranger...

I'd quibble about entirety/eternity but given that we're talking about Patlabor here....
I love Patlabor and it's long slow shots

It's kind of amazing how good it looks though. It's a step down from Hyouka and it doesn't come close to Eupho, but still it looks better than a lot of stuff. And the battle scenes are just stunning, this episode had some pretty strong Madoka vibes on them.

Wait until you see episode 11. The show certainly doesn't get any better (well, there's a pretty fun, barely related gag episode), but it hasn't hit its visual peak yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom