• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.
AnimeGAF Japan trip?

Checking if there's any interest in having an AnimeGAF group trip to Japan next year.

We'll most likely be going sometime in week 12-13 so we can check out AnimeJapan 2017.

Going for 8-12 days. Half in Tokyo and then the rest in the Kansai (Kyoto/Osaka) region.

Estimated budget should be about $1000+flight cost if you want to only join us for the first half in Tokyo and about $2000+flight cost if you want to join in on the whole trip. This depends on what kind of accommodation we'll get.

You will need to confirm if you're going and order your own flight by late October 2016.

I will help out getting us an apartment, hostel and/or hotel for a cheap price.

Some of the things we could be checking out in Tokyo:
AnimeJapan 2017
Ghibli museum
Akihabara
Nakano Broadway
Odaiba (which has the giant Gundam statue and other stuff)
Other things you want to check out

Some of the things we could be checking out in Kansai region:
KyoAni Shop
Nipponbashi
Temples and shrines in Kyoto
Cherry blossom viewing and check out the deer in Nara

Here's pictures from the Fall 2015 K-On GAF Japan trip we did (only the Tokyo part):
https://goo.gl/photos/qse3Yre9mQjqQdWE8

Oh, and we also met up with other people from GAF:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1108613

People who's shown interest:

Line_HTX
image.php

firehawk12
image.php

Thoraxes
image.php

PshycoNinja
image.php

Chet Rippo
image.php

Lee Chaolan
image.php

Theonik
image.php

kpjolee
image.php

PM me here or on Twitter if you're interested.

blurr

I watched Beyond the Boundary at a time I was supposed to prepare for my final exams and I was strictly told to not use the computer - still regret it (at least I passed).

One piece up to 169

As of right now the skypia arc is much better then the Crocodile arc which I tough lost most of it steam pretty quickly.

While the rest of pirate crew is good, if it wasn't for Luffy I would've dropped it OP a long while ago. I really like the character in general.

Beck Mongolian chop squad END

Final verdict: it's good but nothing amazing. Koyuki's singing was way better then Chiba. Also Koyuki either looked very good or terrible. His animation was all over the place.

But I did like Full moon swaaayyy and the opening.

Sansha Sanyou 3

With the introduction of Sonobe to the cast, the show has been able to level up somewhat in its comedy. Her quirks add a sorely needed spice to the antics.

Line_HTX

Is it going to run for 50 straight weeks and go near parallel with the Japanese broadcast of season 2 in October, or will they be breaking?

For now, it'll be breaking. They said depending on how Season 1 is received they could get Season 2 or something like that.

I can't go to Japan for anime, that'd be admitting this is me now and as long as I'm in denial....

I would also go to a maid cafe and be all "man these ladies are REALLY into me, I must have swag up the wazoo!"

Moaradin

For now, it'll be breaking. They said depending on how Season 1 is received they could get Season 2 or something like that.

Only a few shows like Space Dandy and Dimension W got the simuldub treatment on Toonami, and they were both Funimation shows. Pretty unlikely Gundam gets that treatment.

phaze

Beyond the Boundary 3

The more I watch, the more I have no idea what this anime is or what it tries to be. I'm generally a fan of happy or funny instances on a serious anime, they're like a breath of fresh air to more "dark" storylines. Beyond the Boundary has brought to its story some pretty heavy stuff like murder, suicide, depression and loneliness. But, the focus is barely on those, as far as the characters are concerned. Instead, it handles everything completely wrong. The "funny" aspects of it, are just terrible and the characters are caricatures and a bunch of fetishists. The way it treats them does disservice to what could be a very nice cast.

The show almost feels like it tries to be a parody of this kind of animes, but it isn't. Noragami S1 is actually very similar to this. Same setting, a similar duo of protagonists and even some similarities on their themes. Also, it has its fair share of cute or funny moments. But Noragami did a fine job incorporating them to its episodes. They weren't unnatural at all and they could make me appreciate them or laugh. Beyond The Boundary is mostly pandering. Which is not a bad thing per se, more like it doesn't really fit on the show. Hyouka also tried to capitalize on Chitanda's cutesy quite a few times, but it certainly didn't seem creepy and it was actually in character.

I can't say I understand the sentiment cause by mixing the two, KnK is doing the same thing thousands of other shows do. Noragami among others as your rightly point out.

Feel free to drop it after you discover the small twist in the ED.
picturen6p3j.png

Maybe once I finish school and settle down with my loan payment and all I will join. It's a big goal for me to visit Japan. Should be obtainable within 3-5 years from now. Until the I'll be with you all in spirit aha.

Clov

I'm back from Anime North! Had a lot of fun cosplaying and hanging out with friends. Skipped the Pony Canyon and Funimation panels, which turned out to be the right call since they didn't announce anything.

On a different note, someone from Manga UK had some interesting things to say about Aniplex Japan; one is that they will not allow Fullmetal Alchemist to be bundled together with Brotherhood in the UK. In addition, he confirms that they're not allowing their licensees to be renewed, and that they're not very interested in sublicensing their titles anymore. They also want to hold all digital rights themselves.

This makes me wonder if Aniplex of America is planning on expanding, since their release output is much more limited than companies like Funimation and Sentai. If they're not allowing licenses to be renewed, then if they keep their current strategy as it is, they'll just end up with a pile of anime that nobody can release on disk. The way I see it, one of two things could end up happening; Aniplex of America stays as they are, and profits off the licenses they reclaim and their unreleased properties through streaming revenue, leaving them with no disk release. Alternatively, AoA expands and starts releasing more home video titles per month while also profiting from streaming. The latter makes more sense to me, but who knows what Aniplex of Japan is thinking.

DiGiKerot

I'm back from Anime North! Had a lot of fun cosplaying and hanging out with friends. Skipped the Pony Canyon and Funimation panels, which turned out to be the right call since they didn't announce anything.

On a different note, someone from Manga UK had some interesting things to say about Aniplex Japan; one is that they will not allow Fullmetal Alchemist to be bundled together with Brotherhood in the UK. In addition, he confirms that they're not allowing their licensees to be renewed, and that they're not very interested in sublicensing their titles anymore. They also want to hold all digital rights themselves.

This makes me wonder if Aniplex of America is planning on expanding, since their release output is much more limited than companies like Funimation and Sentai. If they're not allowing licenses to be renewed, then if they keep their current strategy as it is, they'll just end up with a pile of anime that nobody can release on disk. The way I see it, one of two things could end up happening; Aniplex of America stays as they are, and profits off the licenses they reclaim and their unreleased properties through streaming revenue, leaving them with no disk release. Alternatively, AoA expands and starts releasing more home video titles per month while also profiting from streaming. The latter makes more sense to me, but who knows what Aniplex of Japan is thinking.

So, those tweets are from Jerome from MangaUK/Animatsu. I don't think you have the nuance quite right - as far as I can tell, he is specifically talking about their prior deals with Manga, and not wanting to relicense with them. It's not particularly a secret that Aniplex they're well aware of the increased globalisation going on with the BD market (a number of fairly visible US anitwitter folks are pretty vocal about importing from the UK), and are reacting with increasing demands on pricing and release formats that tend to run counter to Mangas traditional business model, else are withholding content in order to ensure their US or Japanese releases remain preferable for local customers.

(And whilst I appreciate the general honesty of his candour, Jerome himself probably isn't doing himself any favours with the comments he makes - aside from twitter comments like those, he kind of went off on one about them at his MCM panel over the weekend, even if he did have a few valid points in what he was saying)

Cerberus Episode 9

I thought this anime could need more than 12 or 13 episodes but I finally see a clear solution. I hope they go through with what I would do.

Tomitte getting emotional was very sad but at least it led to Soraata finally expressing emotions.

Hiiro is so lovable when he's happy.

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2 15-16

What the shit, C2? And I knew the
Emperor wasn't gone. That just wrapped up to neatly for him to just be gone.
I do wonder what happened to Villetta. Also I don't like Nina. She's just too much crazy.

Clov

So, those tweets are from Jerome from MangaUK/Animatsu. I don't think you have the nuance quite right - as far as I can tell, he is specifically talking about their prior deals with Manga, and not wanting to relicense with them. It's not particularly a secret that Aniplex they're well aware of the increased globalisation going on with the BD market (a number of fairly visible US anitwitter folks are pretty vocal about importing from the UK), and are reacting with increasing demands on pricing and release formats that tend to run counter to Mangas traditional business model, else are withholding content in order to ensure their US or Japanese releases remain preferable for local customers.

(And whilst I appreciate the general honesty of his candour, Jerome himself probably isn't doing himself any favours with the comments he makes - aside from twitter comments like those, he kind of went off on one about them at himsMCM panel over the weekend, even if he did have a few valid points in what he was saying)

Ah, so he was more talking about Manga UK in particular then. I do hope that they're still open to licensing out properties to North American companies, but what Jerome is saying seems to reflect what's been happening in North America as well (with a number of Aniplex licenses from both Funimation and NISA expiring). Still, it's an interesting look at what's happening in the UK market.

John Blade

AnimeGAF Japan trip?

Checking if there's any interest in having an AnimeGAF group trip to Japan next year.

We'll most likely be going sometime in week 12-13 so we can check out AnimeJapan 2017.

Going for 8-12 days. Half in Tokyo and then the rest in the Kansai (Kyoto/Osaka) region.

Estimated budget should be about $1000+flight cost if you want to only join us for the first half in Tokyo and about $2000+flight cost if you want to join in on the whole trip. This depends on what kind of accommodation we'll get.

You will need to confirm if you're going and order your own flight by late October 2016.

I will help out getting us an apartment, hostel and/or hotel for a cheap price.

Some of the things we could be checking out in Tokyo:
AnimeJapan 2017
Ghibli museum
Akihabara
Nakano Broadway
Odaiba (which has the giant Gundam statue and other stuff)

Some of the things we could be checking out in Kansai region:
KyoAni Shop
Nipponbashi
Temples and shrines in Kyoto
Cherry blossom viewing and check out the deer in Nara

Here's pictures from the Fall 2015 K-On GAF Japan trip we did (only the Tokyo part):
https://goo.gl/photos/qse3Yre9mQjqQdWE8

People who's shown interest:

Line_HTX
image.php

firehawk12
image.php

Thoraxes
image.php

PshycoNinja
image.php

Chet Rippo
image.php

PM me here or on Twitter if you're interested.

I would be interested in this but need to save so much money for it which will be a bit hard right now....sigh...do anyone willing to donate me $5000 CAD to me for this as this is the minimum I need to even consider this trip.

Money+gets+you+anything+no+idea+for+source+of+anime_4745ae_4762660.png

DiGiKerot

Aniplex hasn't even released the ultimate complete thinpak special collection of all of SAO and SAO II though.

My understanding is that Aniplex, globally, not just in the US, see SAO as an, possibly the, important premium flagstone amongst their properties. They are extremely keen to not do anything that could potentially damage the perceived value of the (physical release) product. You are probably unlikely to see it reissued, at least at a price point that is lower than what the show already sells at.

pbayne

Clannad 16

I guess Sunohara x Tomoya is the cannon pairing now. Lol that whole misunderstanding was pretty funny. as was Nagisa pretending to be Tomoya's girlfriend. Heck all the girls have started to make their moves on him. I want to see more of Tomoyo as well.

Sunohara's sister was cute...but she didn't really do anything and then she left. I guess it showed Sunohara is a nice guy deep down but her departure was still a bit abrupt. Jesus the hype when the basketball started, just turned into Slam Dunk for a while.

I can't go to Japan for anime, that'd be admitting this is me now and as long as I'm in denial....

Be true to yourself :p

I would be interested in this but need to save so much money for it which will be a bit hard right now....sigh...do anyone willing to donate me $5000 CAD to me for this as this is the minimum I need to even consider this trip.

Join us for 2018 trip then ;P

phaze

Geass is the anime we deserve

Belated objection. I'm not that bad of a person.

Re: Zero 09

Not very fond of the last 4 minutes which had a number of baffling scipt and directorial choices that took me right out of experience.

Also CG dogs, why.

MHA 07-08

I'm never going to be able to take this show seriously if they'll continue referring to the villains as hmmmmm .... villains.

I've read that the side characters are supposed to be a big strength of MHA and while, this being but a beginning of a long ass story, I don't expect much of that within those 13 episodes we're getting but I'm puzzled at how this is achieved when the author dumps +30 characters onto your face from the very beginning.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Belated objection. I'm not that bad of a person.

Not very fond of the last 4 minutes which had a number of baffling scipt and directorial choices that took me right out of experience.

Also CG dogs, why.
Which plot points in particular did you find baffling?

Ascheroth

Also CG dogs, why.

I had to double check because I didn't notice this at all while watching, lol.
There are 3 or 4 instances I've noticed now while actively looking for it, but those probably don't even have a combined screentime of 2 seconds.

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2 17-18
4718571586_5664180c19.jpg

What the...... FUCK!?!?!? HOW MUCH OF A F#%^ING IDIOT ARE YOU LELOUCH!?!?!? THE MINUTE YOU ORDERED
SUZAKUS DEATH YOU SEALED NUNNALLY'S FATE
! YOU GODDAMN IDIOT!!!
COLLIN
WAS PROBABLY CAUGHT IN THE BLAST TOO! I JUST AS EQUALLY BLAME NINA FOR CREATING IT!!! SHE SHOULD'VE DIED LONG AGO!

Fuck... This show...

phaze

Which plot points in particular did you find baffling?

- Subaru being able to deal with the first dog on his own, (whenever the show relied on him to exert any physical feat in the first arc I always found it suspect too cause he's supposed to be a normal guy.)

- Rem somehow getting severely battered in the span of 5 seconds we last laid our eyes on her.

- Both instances of awkward; people pushing others out of harm's way.

- Rem's weird ass sky high jump

-Rem's power up that yes, while foreshadowed, had no proper build up.

-Dogs just eagerly fucking off to let Rem&Subaru have their touching ...

- ... cliffhanger.

I mean yes, it's nitpicking and some of those can be pinned to storyboarding choices or whatever but there was so much of the little things that irked me within that small time frame that it soured me on the entire thing.

----
On a side note, resolution to the mystery that was being spun for #5 episodes being something that was completely hidden from the eye of the viewer (I don't think we've gotten a prolonged look at the village and the puppy before that ep ?) is pretty weak.

What the...... FUCK!?!?!? HOW MUCH OF A F#%^ING IDIOT ARE YOU LELOUCH!?!?!? THE MINUTE YOU ORDERED
! YOU GODDAMN IDIOT!!!
COLLIN
WAS PROBABLY CAUGHT IN THE BLAST TOO! I JUST AS EQUALLY BLAME NINA FOR CREATING IT!!! SHE SHOULD'VE DIED LONG AGO!

Fuck... This show...

Almost there.

:)

Ascheroth

- Subaru being able to deal with the first dog on his own, (whenever the show relied on him to exert any physical feat in the first arc I always found it suspect too cause he's supposed to be a normal guy.)

- Rem somehow getting severely battered in the span of 5 seconds we last laid our eyes on her.

- Both instances of awkward; people pushing others out of harm's way.

- Rem's weird ass sky high jump

-Rem's power up that yes, while foreshadowed, had no proper build up.

-Dogs just eagerly fucking off to let Rem&Subaru have their touching ...

- ... cliffhanger.

I mean yes, it's nitpicking and some of those can be pinned to storyboarding choices or whatever but there was so much of the little things that irked me within that small time frame that it soured me on the entire thing.

----
On a side note, resolution to the mystery that was being spun for #5 episodes being something that was completely hidden from the eye of the viewer (I don't think we've gotten a prolonged look at the village and the puppy before that ep ?) is pretty weak.

On your first point, I'm not sure if it was mentioned in the show or in the shorts, but Subaru definitely said sometime that he used to work out a lot (I forgot the reason though).

The rest are subjective :)
__
On your sidenote: They had a conversation about the village in the first loop (that included the dog) and the bite marks that were gone made Subaru realize he died in his sleep.

Line_HTX

! YOU GODDAMN IDIOT!!!
COLLIN

Fuck... This show...

*Iori Yagami laughter

! YOU GODDAMN IDIOT!!!
COLLIN

Fuck... This show...

Lelouch is the hero we need, but not the one we deserve

Steins Gate 18

This episode handled Rukako's gender issue really well.

Like Okabe says "it doesn't matter if you're a boy or girl because you're still Rukako."

Samurai Flamenco 6,7

When I'm starting to like it suddenly stops making any sense
Guillotine Gorilla, seriously?
I was you only a week ago, trust me the ride is only just starting but the parts that made me love it don't stop either. They somehow fit comfortably alongside the madness and make it even better

Cornbread78

Hundred ep.9
I'm surprised how much action they packed into this episode and how it was pretty good stuff overall. Emilia's objection to Hayato
kissing Claire and injecting her with his #^&&/! (virus) was pretty funny
I was almost expectibg a Campion! parosy of the Anba veach scene right there, lol. The final scene with imouto and Sakura walking in on Emilia was good stuff as well.

JCG

I've always thought that was a pretty good mecha. Also, I like this particular set of episodes a fair amount more than those immediately preceding (or following) them.

Yes, Lelouch makes a couple of mistakes, but they're ones I could see his character making. I could go into more details, yet don't let me interrupt your freaking out.

pbayne

12-sai 8

I keep forgetting how cheesy the OP is-gives me a good 90 seconds of laughter every week.
When will everyone realize Marin's advice is pure bullshit she just copied from her sister?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom