• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

javac

My brother forced me to buy the Code Geass Blu-rays a while back for him to watch and now they're just sitting on my shelf, reminding me of my purchase. They stick out like a sore thumb among everything else I own. I'll probably watch them down the line just for everyone to take pleasure from my misery; at least this is what I've been led to believe what the Code Geass viewing experience entails. I could be wrong :p

I was you only a week ago, trust me the ride is only just starting but the parts that made me love it don't stop either. They somehow fit comfortably alongside the madness and make it even better

That's a relief to hear, I was afraid it would turn out bad after starting to like it.

Ascheroth

I'm mostly puzzled by how many feel that this current arc in Re:Zero is way too long.
Every episode moves things forward. There is always something happening.
And yeah, we're not even halfway yet.

I think it's because of the whole respawning. Some people aren't as into it as others. I like it, because it's very reminiscent of VNs or RPGs, in which many times you reset the game in order to revisit a previous save for example. And yeah, you are right, you are getting new plot each episode, but I guess the fact that it happens in the same setting under similar circumstances can tick people off.

Almost there.

:)

All the PAIN!!!

*Iori Yagami laughter

Lelouch is the hero we need, but not the one we deserve

And yet...I strangely feel I am just getting started...

I've always thought that was a pretty good mecha. Also, I like this particular set of episodes a fair amount more than those immediately preceding (or following) them.

Yes, Lelouch makes a couple of mistakes, but they're ones I could see his character making. I could go into more details, yet don't let me interrupt your freaking out.

Don't worry. More freak outs yet to come. I can feel it.

The Gurren SEITEN is one of my all time favorite mecha. It's a huge standout compared to all the other mechs in the show for me.

I really like its design. Very pleasing to the eye and very stylish.

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2 20

Lelouch's
mother
!? But...how? What? That completely came from left field. I mean thinking about it... I guess it would now make sense why she had that old picture of Lelouch in her diary. So I guess it sort of ties itself in and foreshadowed it well enough. I just don't know what crazy turns this show will make by the minute.
Please don't kill off any more main characters!!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
- Subaru being able to deal with the first dog on his own, (whenever the show relied on him to exert any physical feat in the first arc I always found it suspect too cause he's supposed to be a normal guy.)
He's supposed to be fairly fit. I want to say that part of his background is just working out in his room all the time. I did not really consider what he did to be particularly over the top, and it sort of sets up that this is an enemy more dangerous because of their numbers.
- Rem somehow getting severely battered in the span of 5 seconds we last laid our eyes on her.
The transition is somewhat quick, but it's sort of the expected outcome given the situation of her fending off the attack during the retreat. How much of the blood belongs to the dogs is also open to interpretation. I don't know that I would call it "severe".
- Both instances of awkward; people pushing others out of harm's way.
Really it's sort of the entire point of the episode though. Rem sees a side of Subaru she thinks is worth protecting, a pretty big change given her role in some of the past loops. Subaru acting selflessly to help Rem does not necessarily come as a surprise to viewers, but for Rem it overturns the assumption that Subaru might turn on the sisters if he knew what they really were, which is the real driving force behind the situation he is caught in.

The escape is condensed, so I understand why that might bother some people, but I'd rather it just went by quickly instead of the show lingering on action beats when the plot has been asking to be pushed forward. For me personally, the revelation of the problem here is more interesting than what might feel like a repeat with a vicious villain that'd feel too similar to the first arc. With the way events played out there can be a focus on the established cast, and how their own fears and insecurities played into the time loop resulting in so many dead ends. There's also room for Rem's brutality and strength to dominate the storyline, and the chase scene here helped to iterate just how capable she is.

This feels like the best fit for the show's tone, and creates the opportunity for Subaru's selflessness to hold a stronger contrast. It's not really a high point from the show on a production level, but I feel like the important goals were met and the show was able to translate its emotion and theme well inside this compact space. For me the transformation scene and the piano accompaniment was enough to make this ending feel worthwhile.

I'm mostly puzzled by how many feel that this current arc in Re:Zero is way too long.

Most of the complaints stem from the time loops resetting MC's progress/plot.

However, I disagree because while it may seem he's going back at times it still contributes to the progression of the story and development of the MC.

I think it's because of the whole respawning. Some people aren't as into it as others. I like it, because it's very reminiscent of VNs or RPGs, in which many times you reset the game in order to revisit a previous save for example. And yeah, you are right, you are getting new plot each episode, but I guess the fact that it happens in the same setting under similar circumstances can tick people off.

I understand Subaru develops from these loops, but every time it resets, it also resets any character development any character had in any particular episode. That's what I find personally irritating and I am sure that is what is irritating others. It's moving the plot along but not the characters.

Qurupeke

But OP&ED are great right ? Right !?]

Definitely. And no, I have no idea what the ED is hinting. I guess I'll find out!

Tbh, the only thing I didn't like was that everything took place on the manor. At least now they're on a forest...

Ascheroth

Most of the complaints stem from the time loops resetting MC's progress/plot.

However, I disagree because while it may seem he's going back at times it still contributes to the progression of the story and development of the MC.

That's how I feel about it as well.

I understand Subaru develops from these loops, but every time it resets, it also resets any character development any character had in any particular episode. That's what I find personally irritating and I am sure that is what is irritating others. It's moving the plot along but not the characters.

Well, while the relations reset, our and more importantly Subarus understanding about the characters doesn't. since Subaru knows how they tick to a certain extent, it speeds up the relationship progress or even allows him to discover new facets of them.

Also, in my headcanon I like to believe that parts of the experiences of the other characters also travel back with Subarus resets and are just buried deep within the backs of their minds, but influence them a bit on a subconscious level, also helping out to get the relations up to speed a bit faster every loop :)´

Tbh, the only thing I didn't like was that everything took place on the manor. At least now they're on a forest...

Don't forget the village! :p

this is my issue. Any development he has with the characters is gone. Even if the next time he can do something different.

It's been a while since I watched DBZ, so can someone refresh my memory and tell me what episode this was with Tien and Trunks fighting? I can't remember a reason for the two of them to fight, especially since Tien is heavily outclassed.

tumblr_nvigwxskFa1uua92yo1_400.gif

JCG

I'll probably watch them down the line just for everyone to take pleasure from my misery; at least this is what I've been led to believe what the Code Geass viewing experience entails. I could be wrong :p

It's simply divisive. Even just within AnimeGAF, it would be frankly inaccurate to assume nobody legitimately enjoyed the show or that only "misery" awaits those who watch.

This isn't School Days, where you can reasonably conclude that most recommendations are made for trolling purposes and not much else. People like Code Geass for both crazy and non-crazy reasons.

That said, I continue to notice how whenever someone new watches the series but doesn't necessarily end up screaming about it, all those posts are more likely to be ignored.

It's been a while since I watched DBZ, so can someone refresh my memory and tell me what episode this was with Tien and Trunks fighting? I can't remember a reason for the two of them to fight, especially since Tien is heavily outclassed.

i would assume it's in a flashback of the androids arc, since we have really grown up Trunks. So maybe even the movie.

Well, while the relations reset, our and more importantly Subarus understanding about the characters doesn't. since Subaru knows how they tick to a certain extent, it speeds up the relationship progress or even allows him to discover new facets of them.

Also, in my headcanon I like to believe that parts of the experiences of the other characters also travel back with Subarus resets and are just buried deep within the backs of their minds, but influence them a bit on a subconscious level, also helping out to get the relations up to speed a bit faster every loop :)

It doesn't change the fact that the characters by the end of the episode revert back to the previous "flag" and don't develop. Only Subaru does. While he can try an manipulate any given characters development, it doesn't change that these characters develop and then that development is rendered obsolete by the end of the episode.

this is my issue. Any development he has with the characters is gone. Even if the next time he can do something different.

Exactly. I understand his power. Now it's just being thrown into every episode. I would just like him to get past an arc without dying and resetting everything.

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2 21

Okay... Okay... Okay... Give me a second. I need to decompress what just happened.

So...
Lelouch's mother is a Geass user
in the same way CC was and used her Geass to basically
hole up in a little girl for years
. And
his mother
is in on what the Emperor was doing and is supporting him. Not only that, they purposefully
crippled Nunnally
so that way people would believe their stories. Did I get that right? ...What a f%#*ed up family.

Seems like
Kallen is still in love with Lelouch
. This will be her downfall. Ah the good ol' Yoko (Gurren Lagaan) Disease. Anyone who ends up
loving Lelouch will die.

And then by the end we get
Lelouch on the throne as the Emperor of Britania
. Talk about being able to turn the situation around quickly. What could they possibly have in store after this episode.

Okay... Okay... Okay... Give me a second. I need to decompress what just happened.

So...
. And
his mother
is in on what the Emperor was doing and is supporting him. Not only that, they purposefully
crippled Nunnally
so that way people would believe their stories. Did I get that right? ...What a f%#*ed up family.

Seems like
. This will be her downfall. Ah the good ol' Yoko (Gurren Lagaan) Disease. Anyone who ends up
loving Lelouch will die.

. Talk about being able to turn the situation around quickly. What could they possibly have in store after this episode.

ALL HAIL LELOUCH.

The real Geass R2 starts here. :)

jman2050

So...
. And
his mother
crippled Nunnally

Seems like
loving Lelouch will die.

ALL HAIL LELOUCH

ALL HAIL LELOUCH

Sterok

Sailor Moon Crystal S3 9

Usagi, Mamoru, please stop making out over your daughter's corpse. I guess this is the real actual no take backs team up between the two groups. They didn't actually agree on what to do with Hotaru, but eh, they can make up something on the fly. And poor Hotaru not getting an ed.

Steins Gate 20

This is pretty much don't trust anyone the anime. Like wtf
Mr. Braun was actually FB from the very beginning lol. Jesus he shot both Moeka and him because the secret was revealed.
This anime really loves throwing everything at you.

Holy fuck
I forgot the first dmail was the one that negated Kurisu's death from happening. Holy shit, by having Kurisu live it lead to Mayuri's death. So basically he has to sacrifice one to save the other.

Yeah I'm starting to believe the world hates Okabe at this point. The time travel time gimmick is beginning to connect really nicely.

Keep watching ;p

Yeah that's screwed up....

Jarmel

Banned
My problem with Re:Zero's current arc is that the loops themselves are fairly boring until the last day/night. I haven't seen this week's episodes but much of the loops are devoid of any sense of tension until something inevitably goes wrong at the end. The setups for the arcs just aren't interesting enough. There isn't any sense of tension through the earlier parts leaving segments to be flat. So many other movies have done such a vastly better job with similar premises that it shows how lacking things are in Re:Zero.

The other problem is that I don't find Subaru to be an interesting lead due to how idiotic he generally is. The emotional stress is noteworthy but he's just too passive. Some might say that's the point in that he's supposed to be an everybody. Normal is vastly overrated.

It's also worth pointing out that in a number of time travel films, there is a threat outside the normal rules of the loop putting a sense of urgency to the character's actions inside the actual loop. For films like Groundshog Day there isn't but it's a comedy so there didn't need to be that impeding sense of time running out.

Another thing, look at the runtime of all those time travel movies. There's a reason almost all of them are fairly short. This arc is going to end up being roughly as long as Interstellar. Then people are talking about the next arc being 13 episodes...

I don't have a problem with arcs being long but you have to justify that length. Re:Zero hasn't given me that reason yet.

Squishy3

Ah, some good old patented Bleach/DBZ pacing.
You can always just pretend in DBZ that Goku and Frieza are fighting at speeds nobody can perceive and you're just watching it in slow motion.

Although I guess the same could be said of Netero's fight against the King.

I enjoy Re:Zero, alot, but that might my bias due to time travel stories, however, my issue with the show and this current arc in particular is that there's no goal right now for Subaru/this show works towards. Unlike other time-travel anime such as Erased and Steins;Gate (this one also done by White Fox (get your shit together White Fox)), the goal and/or reason for the time travel was established and clearly seen by the audience which creates the sense of urgency which is paramount in the genre of time-travel stories. With Re:Zero and Subaru and the current arc right now, there is no goal and the length/point of this arc feels useless making the drama being overly overdramatic for drama's sake.

With how the show began in its previous/first arc Subaru had a goal into saving Emilia which eventually led into saving the additional characters of Felt and Rom being part of that goal. His initial goal of entering this time-loop fantasy world universe was achieved, so, now what? Well we go introduce more characters and Subaru has to save them as well.

I see this show following the same story beats as Steins;Gate in
arcs dedicated to introducing character and saving them from bad ends
, however unlike Steins;Gate, Re:Zero doesn't earn it. Aside from Emilia and Felt (characters introduced in the first arc mind you), I couldn't care less about Rem, Ram (and to a lesser extent Beatrice and Roswaal), or the children because said characters aren't vital (I feel) to whatever goal the show is trying to achieve because the damn goal doesn't exist right now beyond surviving; no urgency whatsoever.

Beatrice was interesting only when it seemed like she knew he had already died, but I guess that was only an hypothesis that was never touched on.

The arc would be more compelling if it was of smaller solutions and of a size that the solution lay in the mansion somewhere. The second it became about leaving the mansion, going to the village, shaman touch etc it became drab.

I'll always stand by my opinion that the pacing of the entire ant arc was fucking perfect.

Honestly if you were to watch it on a weekly pace it may seem like a slog/pain in the ass.

However, if you binge watch it feels really nice and natural. I guess waiting on a weekly basis makes it feel long.

Ascheroth

Honestly if you were to watch it on a weekly pace it may seem like a slog/pain in the ass.

However, if you binge watch it feels really nice and natural. I guess waiting on a weekly basis makes it feel long.
I do think I watched that part weekly and my opinion still stands.

I enjoy Re:Zero, alot, but that might my bias due to time travel stories, however, my issue with the show and this current arc in particular is that there's no goal right now for Subaru/this show works towards. Unlike other time-travel anime such as Erased and Steins;Gate (this one also done by White Fox (get your shit together White Fox)), the goal and/or reason for the time travel was established and clearly seen by the audience which creates the sense of urgency which is paramount in the genre of time-travel stories. With Re:Zero and Subaru and the current arc right now, there is no goal and the length/point of this arc feels useless making the drama being overly overdramatic for drama's sake.

White Fox did not write Steins;Gate or Re:Zero, so I'm not sure what you are intending with this comment.

That's from Bojack Unbound, actually. The reason that Tien and Trunks are fighting is because they are facing off in a fighting tournament.

White Fox did not write Steins;Gate or Re:Zero, so I'm not sure what you are intending with this comment.

White Fox produced both Steins;Gate and currently Re:Zero. Yeah they didn't write it but it's not too much to assume they're familiar with these time travel stories (considering Steins;Gate) and the familiar story beats between the two shows right now.

Rainy

Banned
Tanaka-kun 08

This show is just relaxing and funny to watch. Always enjoy it.

Btw has anyone played the Trails in the Sky series? Looking into starting it..

Btw has anyone played the Trails in the Sky series? Looking into starting it..

You need two things:

1- A LOT of time.
2- A LOT of patience.

Takes quite a few chapters to get the story going and even once it does the games are long. Played the first one and it was great. It took so long for the second chapter to come out that any enthusiasm I had to get the cliffhanger from FC resolved was simply gone. You have the benefit of having both games available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom