• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoraxes

Tanaka-kun 08

This show is just relaxing and funny to watch. Always enjoy it.

Btw has anyone played the Trails in the Sky series? Looking into starting it..
Playing through all three released Trails games over the course of a month was one of the best times in my gaming life.

I've already replayed Cold Steel two times too. Gonna do another run for CS2, and another run of FC/SC when Third hits as well.

Probably my favorite gaming series.

Rainy

Banned
Playing through all three released Trails games over the course of a month was one of the best times in my gaming life.

I've already replayed Cold Steel two times too. Gonna do another run for CS2, and another run of FC/SC when Third hits as well.

Probably my favorite gaming series.

Do I play through Cold Steel or FC first?

And thanks everyone I'll def get into it then.

Squishy3

Space Patrol Luluco 09

I don't remember if Mach Speed did this in the original short or not but I lost it when he did Simon's thing from episode 11 of Gurren Lagann over Se'chan's "death."

tumblr_mm1w1yOxMu1rby56yo1_400.gif

apologies for tumblrgifnot really

Havent watched anime in a long time (besides Pokemon). Is Kabaneri still enjoyable or did it, uh, derail? I think I watched up to the 3rd or 4th episode. Animation still dope?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Hundred's lost my interest.

Probably because Emilia keeps getting sidelined and I have Puck now.

Thoraxes

Do I play through Cold Steel or FC first?

And thanks everyone I'll def get into it then.
TBH you can start with either, but I will say that the events of FC and SC will totally change the way you perceive the events of Cold Steel. It's in that regard I'd recommend the Sky games then Cold Steel if you need an order to play them in. In the timeline FC and SC also precede Cold Steel.

Space Adventure Cobra 1-7
download.png

Appropriate for my thoughts, but this is also just before he kills two female cyborgs.

Space Adventure Cobra feels like if you took early James Bond elements and dipped them in a sci-fi setting. Cobra is a whiz with his psychogun, good with his fists, and beautiful women practically fall at his feet. (He also has a cigar that allows him to breath underwater, so gadgets too.) Said women are usually the dangerous type, but so far don't seem to be any more important to the plot than the average Bond girl. The main villain so far, Crystal Bowie, and his immediate henchmen are the only ones capable of really giving Cobra a run for his money. It's that classic Bond problem where it rarely feels like our hero is any danger. That said, the action is still pretty fun.

Based on what I've seen so far, Cobra isn't a timeless classic, but it's fun. Sometimes that enough.

Cornbread78

Full Metal Alchemist ep.7-9
I'm enjoying what I've seen so far and Winfrey is a lot less annoying than I thought she would be. Her wrench attack on Al and s peach was perfect and well done.

I just can't wait until they can finally confront that evil woman and boy sidekick as they raise a ruckus around town. I can't say I'm impressed with the those two at this point, which is why I hope they get taken out sooner than later. In contrast, I'm enjoying the relationship between Edward/Al, as well as the way they interact with the rest of the military personnel around them. Big sexy Mr. Armstrong included, lol.

Cornbread78

Does anyone know a good anime to watch with my gf? The only one we've watched together is Himouto which she liked.

Clannad / Clannad After Story
Plastic Memories
Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches
Steins;Gate
Angel Beats
Erased
Acchi Kocchi
Usagi Drop
Eureka 7
Itazura na Kiss
One Week Friends
D Frag
Little Busters

Hundred's lost my interest.

Probably because Emilia keeps getting sidelined and I have Puck now.

I swear Puck doesn't even show up that often though!!

I forgot to watch this last Friday:

Kuromukuro 08

The more I watch the more I enjoy this show. I really like this dynamic of world building as well as character development. I'm more of a character kind of guy, hence why shows like Kiznaiver this season speak to me. I enjoy watching them interact and go through different emotions. This show also does a good job at building this world and showing us what does and doesn't exist, seeing Kennosuke use Yahoo answers was hilarious.

Also found it hilarious how the two disappeared kids
basically were alive and just didn't show up because they had to push the moterbike to school. Yeah, school, they didn't even go straight home to their parents LMFAO.

Full Metal Alchemist ep.7-9
I'm enjoying what I've seen so far and Winfrey is a lot less annoying than I thought she would be. Her wrench attack on Al and s peach was perfect and well done.

I just can't wait until they can finally confront that evil woman and boy sidekick as they raise a ruckus around town. I can't say I'm impressed with the those two at this point, which is why I hope they get taken out sooner than later. In contrast, I'm enjoying the relationship between Edward/Al, as well as the way they interact with the rest of the military personnel around them. Big sexy Mr. Armstrong included, lol.

Did you end up trying the dub??

Mailbox

Plastic Memories
Steins;Gate
Angel Beats
Erased
Acchi Kocchi
Usagi Drop
Eureka 7
Itazura na Kiss
One Week Friends
D Frag
Little Busters

Pretty much these, though Angel Beats might be hit or miss depending on the person.
If anything, a lot of these on this list will probably make her like anime more.

Free!
Glasslip
Guilty Crown

These, on the other hand, will make her hate anime.

Edit: Usagi Drop and Barakamon are a MUST.

Someone actually watched Glasslip because of DTL... And I don't think they have come back since then. We should have a warning about that show somewhere.

Nah, for the most part the show doesn't match its reputation. It's mostly just another one of those P.A. Works school romance shows but with a bizarre non-ending.

Mailbox

Someone actually watched Glasslip because of DTL... And I don't think they have come back since then. We should have a warning about that show somewhere.

Nah, for the most part the show doesn't match its reputation. It's mostly just another one of those P.A. Works school romance shows but with a bizarre non-ending.

welp, now I feel the need to watch it just to know how bad it is...

I mean, is it as bad as LoveLove or GreenGreen?

hmm... maybe after I finish what i'm doing right now... maybe...

It's not worth watching as its not all that interesting even in a bad way other than how it ends.

So I was looking at Sweetness and Lightning which is airing in the Summer.

I have to say it seems like a mix between Barakamon (comfy and heartwarming) and Koufuku Graffiti (cooking). Plus the child voice actor in Barakamon is voicing the lead child in Sweetness and Lightning.

I just find shows that have a guardian like figure taking care of a child really enjoyable. Hopefully it's adapted well because it's one of my anticipated anime for Summer.

The PV looks great.

The Flowers of Evil 02

jCZ3jaS.jpg

Oh this will go well

Y'know people say that Watamote makes them uncomfortable and I get that. Its a show that hits too close to home sometimes about a generally awkward girl. Flowers of Evil is a different kind of uncomfortable. The direction in this show is fantastic, and not just visually. The music and sound, man. It's the kind of show I have to pause every once in a while because its so uneasy. Like Curb Your Enthusiasm!

More about the rotoscoping - it allows an unparalleled sense of body language. I love animation, but there are reasonable limits. You can achieve the kind of expression required to make this series work normally, but only through a massive amount of effort, time and skill you'd find in productions like Jin-Roh.

Also, good ED fade-ins? This show has it. Creepy as fuck.

Russ T

Banned
The Flowers of Evil 02

Y'know people say that Watamote makes them uncomfortable and I get that. Its a show that hits too close to home sometimes about a generally awkward girl. Flowers of Evil is a different kind of uncomfortable. The direction in this show is fantastic, and not just visually. The music and sound, man. It's the kind of show I have to pause every once in a while because its so uneasy. Like Curb Your Enthusiasm!

More about the rotoscoping - it allows an unparalleled sense of body language. I love animation, but there are reasonable limits. You can achieve the kind of expression required to make this series work normally, but only through a massive amount of effort, time and skill you'd find in productions like Jin-Roh.

Flowers of Evil is fucking amazing.

The rotoscoping is definitely unsettling and weird sometimes, but I think that serves the purpose of the series far more often than it distracts. I can understand why some people are put off by it, but it worked so well for me.

I became so engrossed by it, I watched the whole thing in a day.

...I needed a big break from anything even remotely dark after that day.

And yeah that ED, and the fade-ins... It's, man, it's just fucking spot on. Mannnn Flowers of Evil is something special. I want to read the manga to pick the story back up, but I don't think it will affect me in the same way as the anime.

Mailbox

Hmm, what's Love love??

Love♥Love? is an horrible horrible anime that is part of 3 conjoining series Including Smash Hit! and Chou Henshin Cosprayers. While the idea of having a production of an anime being seen from multiple angles for multiple series is interesting, this does it horribly. I've only watched Love♥Love?, and despite being only 14 min per episode, it made me want to vomit.

Its bad.

Now I have that weird itch to try Smash Hit!....
I hear its even worse... but i don't believe that!

The Flowers of Evil 02

Hiroshi Nagahama is a beast when it comes to sound direction. Mushishi is the same; it's so unique in how subtle and meticulous it is in how it handles the voices, the ambient environmental sounds, and the integration of the music. Flowers of Evil is essentially the same style of direction, only more consistently unsettling and tension-filled. It's so unrelenting.

Yes, the rotoscoping was a good choice. When Nagahama was originally approached about directing this show, he refused because he thought Flowers of Evil could only be properly handled in live action, not animation. He was then approached a second time, after which he agreed on the condition that the show be entirely rotoscoped. It's amazing that the producers agreed to such an unconventional production technique.

What's really neat is that there are several different versions of the ED song (which actually existed before the anime), and the various episodes use different versions depending on the nuance of the mood the episode ends with. Episode 7 uses the original version of the ED song for a spectacular sequence.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
tanaka is an obnoxious prick ep1

what on earth do people like about this show

the MC's schtick is incredibly annoying, and he's completely lifeless and boring

yeah, i guess that's the point

but just because you try to be bad intentionally, doesn't make it any less bad

Plastic Memories
Steins;Gate
Angel Beats
Erased
Acchi Kocchi
Usagi Drop
Eureka 7
Itazura na Kiss
One Week Friends
D Frag
Little Busters

You just...get me.

Edit: How could you forget Your Lie in April?

Edit: Usagi Drop and Barakamon are a MUST.

Angel Beats is great. Barakamon is also really nice. I am glad I watched that show.

As someone who was extremely hyped for Glasslip before it started and as it was beginning, do not watch Glasslip. It's just a waste of time. The OP was nice and was the thing that kept me going.

Cornbread78

Crescent Love ep.1
It's been awhile since I just picked an older anime at random to watch, so I fired this one up tonight. The OP was a really good first impression and took me by surprise. The characters are all your standard fare personalities with decent designs and the initial plot is ok, but a little too similar to Cat Planet Cuties' initially. The comedy was pretty good and at least this has a classic romcom feel to the tone, so I'm interested to seeing where it goes.

Mailbox

the MC's schtick is incredibly annoying, and he's completely lifeless and boring

To be fair, the first episode isn't the best in this series. Tons of people hated it.
The good parts of this series come as more characters are introduced. In all honesty, Tanaka is the weakest character.

You just...get me.

Angel Beats is great. Barakamon is also really nice. I am glad I watched that show.

As someone who was extremely hyped for Glasslip before it started and as it was beginning, do not watch Glasslip. It's just a waste of time. The OP was nice and was the thing that kept me going.

Yeah, I liked Angel Beats too, but I also know its not for everyone.
I'll get to Glasslip eventually. Eventually.

I enjoy Tanaka-kun is Always Listless because

- The visual direction is consistently creative.
- The character designs, the art design, and the coloring are all attractive and blend well together.
- The music is good in itself and appropriate for the mood.
- The comedic timing is impeccable.
- The characters are charming, and have good chemistry with each other.

Sure, if I knew someone like Tanaka in real life he might be annoying, but this isn't real life so he's likable, especially as a duo with Ohta.

sonicmj1

Btw has anyone played the Trails in the Sky series? Looking into starting it..

I played First Chapter for 9 hours. In that time, I was struck by the sheer density of the world-building. Even just through the prologue, almost everyone in the town has their own little story that progresses with just about every action you take. It's remarkable.

But I was also struck with the density of lengthy fodder battles that don't particularly test the player in any way. A huge percentage of my time playing was spent doing pretty boring fights out in the field. I gave up because I felt like the game wasn't using my time effectively.

I guess I'm not much of a JRPG person in general.

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2 22
4147926_orig.jpg

What Lelouch was doing the whole episode.

Just like the last few episodes...this is going to take me a few minutes to process. I thought Lelouch for a second, for the sake of everyone involved, that he would go ahead and accept the
UNF proposal as he was weakening Britania for a good portion of the episode
, so I don't know what the play here is. I've never been this dumbfounded in a show before. I just don't see it. I don't see the outcome Lelouch is looking torwards.

And WHAT THE ACTUAL SHIT!
Nunnally is alive
!? And she's
declaring war on Lelouch.
This is some M Night Shamalan bullshit twist going on here. Holy SHIT! Jshdbdjeudysnejsudhenejdudychejsosusndgcydjwksi!!!

Cornbread78

You just...get me.

Crap, yeah, I forgot Your Lie in April and Barakamon. Anohana could go on that list as well, of you can get her to watch after those early scenes in episode 1.

The other shows are mostly easy to watch as a couple, especially for someone who probably only watches casually..

Clannad especially, if she stays interested enough through the first season has such a great story to it and is very very rewarding to watch as a couple, especially with the themes it presents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom