• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exalted

See, he might be fit or whatever but only by the standards of our world. I'm going to assume that to match super powered monsters or lightning quick humans you should need to be more than that.

Have you already forgotten the first episode, in which he beats up those three thugs . He completely overwhelms them in strength. He said he trained constantly and that his grip strength is over 70kg, as he almost crushed that thugs hand. :p

Junkers Come Here

V4CY0GZ.jpg
HVaGHTQ.jpg

Wow, some great timing there :p

e_i

RE:Zero episode 9

Wow, Subaru, did you have to be such a...a...man?
Rem didn't need saving you dumbfuck.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I must say that I'm surprised to see you, of all people, defending this show and (I'm going to assume) liking it to an extent.
I don't really know that our thoughts here are so different that I'm defending the show. I just didn't really have a perspective that the sequence of events here was a low point for the series. It was refreshing to move past the breaking point the show has been stuck on for quite a while. I feel like Rem brings a more layered character into a series that is often times very straightforward with how its cast operates. This path to viewing her as more than an adversary feels considerably more earned than what we saw in the last arc with Felt. It's not really just that Rem's opinion on Subaru changed, but she was pushed into a position where her behavior patterns changed to align more with Subaru as a result of protecting the village.

In addition to feeling a little restless and wanting to move the story forward, the larger scope of the action scene might lower my expectations for the climax here. Re:Zero's unique brand of swift brutality often comes in intentionally brief chunks that obscure its violence, and the end scene here asked for a more open interpretation of that which wound up working for me. I do not really have an expectation for this stuff to work for other people. There are plenty of things to criticize here, I just wanted to also highlight the pieces that I thought worked.

So I finally rewatched Barakamon and I have to say it's still as amazing as it was the first time I saw it. To me it's probably the best sol anime out their.

Yeah it really made me want a season 2. Thankfully Handa-kun will keep me entertained until a season 2 of Barakamon someday.

Please let a season 2 of Barakamon happen.

javac

So I just got done watching the first 5 episodes of Kimagure Orange Road and I absolutely love every second of it. I've been meaning to watch this one for a long time and I have to say the wait has really paid off and I feel silly for having the (albeit tiny) apprehensions that I did when going in. Right off of the bat the Sagisu Shiro soundtrack is straight up my alley as are the Akemi Takada character designs. The eyes are large and expressive, the hairstyles are fun and the fashion is cool and on point.
The first OP for the series encapsulates the series thus far succinctly and does a fantastic job of acclimating the audience to its world. The fast cuts are energetic and youthful and the music is exciting. The show is fun and has that city pop vibe running through its veins. The city pop genre of music is a favorite of mine and is generally described as being both mellow and jazzy, a product of the bubble economy-era of Japan wherein which Japan was known for its luxurious and urban lifestyle and all of these words sum up Kimagure Orange Road perfectly. The way in which the show is presented resonates with me on a level many shows don’t. The show is both lively and fun to watch but not without setting up further predicaments that will most definitely manifest into interesting story arcs down the road. I say this because so far the character interactions have been on point, sincere and realistic but the show makes sure not to go on too long without injecting a bit of liveliness here and there to help balance the episodes out. It is a comedy after all, and I do find it very funny (although the perverted friends’ trope does run thin as always). The recurring couple Umao and Ushiko for example are very funny to watch as you see them in popping up in strange predicaments reciting Romeo and Juliet. It’s this type of quirky humor that I find littered throughout the show that I love.
The interactions between each of the main character thus far as I said has been very mature and grown up and more importantly realistic and I can most certainly relate to the emotions and reactions on display, which is refreshing for a romantic drama. The show isn’t dour and downbeat but it also isn’t afraid of setting up more complex scenarios down the line, which excites me. Little things like the facial expressions of the characters and their body language has been presented really well which adds an extra dynamic to them and those little details make for a more believable relationship within this love triangle. The show does fantastic job of capturing what it was like growing up within a pre-smartphone and internet world, not having that instant line of communication with people and yet wanting to speak to them so much and the lingering emotions that appear because of this. Every day starts with school and it’s here where all of the gossip comes to life.
It goes without saying that I find the animation striking and appealing. Although the backgrounds aren’t intricately detailed and high production it still exudes a sense of life and place due to the use of natural and pastel colors which looks both warm and welcoming. Everything about this show so far is exactly that, warm, colorful and welcoming. The voice acting is pleasing to the ears, as is the music and the characters all look and come across as heartfelt, deep and earnest which leaves me happy to be here watching this show and I can’t wait to watch more.
The ED is also great, the music is both summery and wispy.

John Blade

So I just got done watching the first 5 episodes of Kimagure Orange Road and I absolutely love every second of it. I've been meaning to watch this one for a long time and I have to say the wait has really paid off and I feel silly for having the (albeit tiny) apprehensions that I did when going in. Right off of the bat the Sagisu Shiro soundtrack is straight up my alley as are the Akemi Takada character designs. The eyes are large and expressive, the hairstyles are fun and the fashion is cool and on point.

The first OP for the series encapsulates the series thus far succinctly and does a fantastic job of acclimating the audience to its world. The fast cuts are energetic and youthful and the music is exciting. The show is fun and has that city pop vibe running through its veins. The city pop genre of music is a favorite of mine and is generally described as being both mellow and jazzy, a product of the bubble economy-era of Japan wherein which Japan was known for its luxurious and urban lifestyle and all of these words sum up Kimagure Orange Road perfectly. The way in which the show is presented resonates with me on a level many shows don’t. The show is both lively and fun to watch but not without setting up further predicaments that will most definitely manifest into interesting story arcs down the road. I say this because so far the character interactions have been on point, sincere and realistic but the show makes sure not to go on too long without injecting a bit of liveliness here and there to help balance the episodes out. It is a comedy after all, and I do find it very funny (although the perverted friends’ trope does run thin as always). The recurring couple Umao and Ushiko for example are very funny to watch as you see them in popping up in strange predicaments reciting Romeo and Juliet. It’s this type of quirky humor that I find littered throughout the show that I love.

The interactions between each of the main character thus far as I said has been very mature and grown up and more importantly realistic and I can most certainly relate to the emotions and reactions on display, which is refreshing for a romantic drama. The show isn’t dour and downbeat but it also isn’t afraid of setting up more complex scenarios down the line, which excites me. Little things like the facial expressions of the characters and their body language has been presented really well which adds an extra dynamic to them and those little details make for a more believable relationship within this love triangle. The show does fantastic job of capturing what it was like growing up within a pre-smartphone and internet world, not having that instant line of communication with people and yet wanting to speak to them so much and the lingering emotions that appear because of this. Every day starts with school and it’s here where all of the gossip comes to life.

It goes without saying that I find the animation striking and appealing. Although the backgrounds aren’t intricately detailed and high production it still exudes a sense of life and place due to the use of natural and pastel colors which looks both warm and welcoming. Everything about this show so far is exactly that, warm, colorful and welcoming. The voice acting is pleasing to the ears, as is the music and the characters all look and come across as heartfelt, deep and earnest which leaves me happy to be here watching this show and I can’t wait to watch more.

The ED is also great, the music is both summery and wispy.

Lucky you. I am currently watching Maison Ikkoku right now and liking it so far as of now. We kinda need a separate thread for older anime show sometime here.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Kiznaiver 8

I feel like it would have worked better to simply explain much earlier on the connection between Sonozaki and Katsuhira ahead of time. It seems pretty apparent its that they were the kids in the original experiment and that the pain-sharing killed their ability to feel anything, but I almost feel like that reveal is so obvious that it would be disappointing, even though it seems super likely.

Theonik

Lucky you. I am currently watching Maison Ikkoku right now and liking it so far as of now. We kinda need a separate thread for older anime show sometime here.
This thread is perfectly appropriate for this discussion and when I actually used to be active here I used to post about this kind of stuff all the time.

Of course if you want to make it you can go ahead. There is plenty of fans of animation around here and the rest of GAF that would partake.

12-sai 8
It's funny that the girl giving advice is the one without boyfriend. Hiyama is so cute and Takao such a sadist.
The animation seemed worse in this episode.

kewlmyc

Kinda shat on it earlier this season since I though it was just your average LN harem show, but is Re:Zero actually pretty good?

pbayne

12-sai 8
It's funny that the girl giving advice is the one without boyfriend. Hiyama is so cute and Takao such a sadist.
The animation seemed worse in this episode.

Lol Marin's useless. None of her advice ever works, its just shit she picked up from her sister that she tries to copy.
Yeah some of the character designs were all over the place too.

Cornbread78

Kinda shat on it earlier this season since I though it was just your average LN harem show, but is Re:Zero actually pretty good?

Yeah, it's actually really good without all the tropey LN crap. It's actually kind of dark and is said to get a LOT darker as we go...

Crescent Love ep.2
Pretty good episode again with a littleless comedy this tine, but the show still surprisingly has a ton of heart. I'm interested to see how theyou princess and the biographer knows Tatsuya from the past, but I'm sure we will find out in time.

javac

I'm glad that you're enjoying Maison Ikkoku, I ended up getting the second Blu-ray set so I'm going to watch it when I get the chance, probably after this. In all honesty, I think that you should post your impressions in this thread whenever you get the chance. Not only would I enjoy reading the impressions but many others would too and I think by doing so you might inspire others to check out the shows and vice-versa. For example, even though my posts on Takarajima didn't encourage anyone in here to watch it, I'd like to think my Cobra posts did and even if they didn't I still enjoyed posting about them, because the show was fun. Even-though everyone is watching the current crop of shows, you do get people posting about older shows too very often in this thread, Junkers Come Here is on this very page for example and it's a great film.

You post more often in here and I will too, promise =)

Cornbread78

White Album ep.23
Lol, yes! Another notch to the belt of poor young Touya-kun. This time, the
senpai that denied him previously
dumped her man and jumped him. Thus is just too damn funny. Wait, as the episode ends he h as another girl is his pad, wow. This man is truly a god among woman, lol. Oh yeah, everyone is still miserable too.

I think Touya's body count is higher than Makoto's....

Just watching Full Metal Panic and no-one can pronounce Tuatha de Danann (Tu-ha de Dan-awn) not in the Japanese, which is understandable, or the damn dub which isn't as it's not hard to find an Irish person who could tell you.

Very unexpected. This definitely isn't the type of film that Funimation usually chases after. They must think that they can get it to sell just by promoting it as the "first anime film ever"! Still, I'm curious to watch it. If it's shown in a theater near me, I might see it.

I highly doubt Funimation intends to distribute this theatrically. If not even Disney's Fantasia can get people in theaters (the anniversary screening I went to was woefully barren), this obscure black-and-white WWII propaganda film certainly won't.

javac

I highly doubt Funimation intends to distribute this theatrically. If not even Disney's Fantasia can get people in theaters (the anniversary screening I went to was woefully barren), this obscure black-and-white WWII propaganda film certainly won't.

Anime Limited said the following when they announced it:

Momotaro's Divine Sea Warriors will also be screening at Scotland Loves Anime this year, and possibly other film festivals.

So not impossible depending on where you live :)

Theonik

Anime Limited is doing screenings in Scotland Loves Anime in October. They also told me during London MCM that they intend to have Jonathan Clements give a talk before and after the screening. Those might be recorded but we don't know as of now.

They are expecting the BD to be out sometime next year allowing lead time for Jonathan Clement's book to be printed.

Very unexpected. This definitely isn't the type of film that Funimation usually chases after. They must think that they can get it to sell just by promoting it as the "first anime film ever"! Still, I'm curious to watch it. If it's shown in a theater near me, I might see it.
I'm pretty sure this is due to Anime Limited doing most of the work. It's also not the first anime film!

Gundam Build Fighters 15

Cj0VjMEVAAAfIsW.jpg

My favorite shot of the episode. Very imposing shading on this closeup.

Sei/Reiji vs. Fellini was an excellent fight, especially as it is free from the outside interference that the past several episodes have focused on. It just allowed for passionate fighters to go all-out in trying to defeat each other, and the detailed attention paid to the steadily increasing damage to the two Gunpla made their feelings all the more impactful. It also had a good balance between thoughtful strategy and emotional fervor. The way the characters have been built up and the visual execution helps to sell me on the battle shounen heat, which annoys me when executed in a lazy fashion (which most recently I've seen happen in Yowamushi Pedal).

I think I'd tolerate better the plot thread with the Chairman trying to get Reiji knocked out if he wasn't such a sniveling brat. The Chairman isn't even fun to hate; he's just pathetic.

Anime Limited is doing screenings in Scotland Loves Anime in October. They also told me during London MCM that they intend to have Jonathan Clements give a talk before and after the screening. Those might be recorded but we don't know as of now.

They are expecting the BD to be out sometime next year allowing lead time for Jonathan Clement's book to be printed.

Film festivals are one thing, especially ones geared towards animation aficionados. The remastered version of Momotaro premiered at Cannes, after all. I'm just saying it's unlikely to get nationwide US theatrical showings as Funimation has been doing for GitS, Psychopass, and the Project Itoh films.

I'm pretty sure this is due to Anime Limited doing most of the work. It's also not the first anime film!

It's the first feature-length anime film (~76 min.).

Theonik

Film festivals are one thing, especially ones geared towards animation aficionados. The remastered version of Momotaro premiered at Cannes, after all. I'm just saying it's unlikely to get nationwide US theatrical showings as Funimation has been doing for GitS, Psychopass, and the Project Itoh films.
It's the first feature-length anime film (~76 min.).
Probably not, but Anime Limited probably is. They have tried to get everything they've had on their festivals on as many screens as they could afterwards.

As for it being the first feature length film, well yes. But he said film in general. There was even a 37 minute film in 1943 by the same director!

Cornbread78

Nagasarete Airantou ep.7
Cats vs. Dogs; remote all female island edition, lol. You gotta love when one of the girls ups the anty: "if you win, you can do whatever you want to me but if you lose, you can also do whatever you want to me." Of course, Ikuto didn't take her up on the offer, but it was all in good fun. I'm actually surprised that they have pretty much pushed all the haremy stuff aside and played this out like a SoL series, but it still an alright watch in small doses.

Clov

Fair point. Though since they do have the theatrical rights to it as well, I wouldn't be surprised to see a screening or two pop up somewhere.

As for it being the first feature length film, well yes. But they said film in general. There was even a 47 minute film in 1943 by the same director!

Interesting that it's Anime Limited doing most of the work; that definitely explains Funimation's involvement with it more. I guess they just saw an opportunity and took it!

First feature length film is more what I meant (due to Funimation's headline), though it's interesting to know that the same director made an earlier film as well! What exactly does qualify as feature length anyway? For some reason I always assumed it was 45 minutes minimum, but it might be higher than that.

Theonik

Interesting that it's Anime Limited doing most of the work; that definitely explains Funimation's involvement with it more. I guess they just saw an opportunity and took it!

First feature length film is more what I meant (due to Funimation's headline), though it's interesting to know that the same director made an earlier film as well! What exactly does qualify as feature length anyway? For some reason I always assumed it was 45 minutes minimum, but it might be higher than that.
At the very least they seem fully behind this release doing some pretty cool things with it.

The other movie is Momotarou's Sea Eagles, another propaganda film. I mistyped, it's 37 minutes. The Academy of Motion Pictures definition of feature lenght is 40 minutes, which it barely misses.

Sansha Sanyou 4

With Enishi Oshima handling much of the episode himself, the execution was significantly above the earlier episodes. There were a lot of inventive visual ideas, as well as consistently striking layouts. As the material itself isn't amazing, it really benefits from having this level of creative handling to better make it work.

Cornbread78

Crescent Love ep.3
Good ol' earth vs. moon cook-off. Of course, the childhood friend
loses like she should to
the beautiful moon princess. Pretty cute episode dancing along the lines of that invisible love triangle.

Shoujo manga Haikara-san ga Toru is getting an anime film in 2017.

rqCGodc.jpg

Wikipedia said:
The haikara of the title is Benio Hanamura, a 17-year-old schoolgirl in Tokyo circa 1920 (during the Taishō era). Benio lost her mother when she was very young and has been raised by her father, a high-ranking official in the Japanese army. As a result, she has grown into a tomboy - contrary to traditional Japanese notions of femininity, she studies kendo, drinks sake, dresses in often outlandish-looking Western fashions instead of the traditional kimono, and isn't as interested in housework as she is in literature. She also rejects the idea of arranged marriages and believes in a woman's right to a career and to marry for love.

Clov

At the very least they seem fully behind this release doing some pretty cool things with it.

The other movie is Momotarou's Sea Eagles, another propaganda film. I mistyped, it's 37 minutes. The Academy of Motion Pictures definition of feature lenght is 40 minutes, which it barely misses.

Interesting! It's slightly shorter than I thought it was.

Thinking about it, I don't think I've ever watched an anime old enough to be done in black and white. I ought to at least watch a few for the experience.

Steins Gate 21

It's pretty depressing when you realize every time Okabe time leaps he leaves a tragedy from a different timeline that's pretty much stuck in his head.

It's a continuous cycle.

Theonik

Interesting! It's slightly shorter than I thought it was.

Thinking about it, I don't think I've ever watched an anime old enough to be done in black and white. I ought to at least watch a few for the experience.
There was an anime classics release a few years ago which has some early 1900s anime which are in B&W, silent or originally intended to be viewed with live narration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom