• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qurupeke

Kabaneri 8

aka Mumei's dumb, part 2.

At the first half of the episode, I didn't really see why Biba-sama was bad, but the scenes on the train just turned him to a typical evil sadist. Also, his design is really similar to something out of the 16-bit era RPGs, which is actually pretty cool, but it feels out of place.

Szadek

I made it episode 20 of Log Horizon 2 and I don't think I can watch anymore of this.
Ever since the raid was over the series went downhill.

Line_HTX

As a follow up to my rec "experiment" last week. I asked MAL at the same time, what type of anime I should watch if I wanted to "Go on an Adventure," but it had to be a complete story... I've never even heard of half this stuff, which isn't surprising considering how little attention I've paid to the genre.

Below is a list of the shows thrown my way:

I put some comments on stuff I've seen or heard of in "( )," but knowing my tastes, is there anything else here worth a watch when I'm done everything else?

Let me help you with my thoughts.

Get rid of Akame ga Kill. It's the stupidest brain cancer I watched, even though the best girl won. They can't even do edgy right, and instead try to throw all of the biggest kitchen sinks at the wall to see if it'll stay put at the wall. Writing is horrid all around, doesn't matter if it was canon or not, it's just as bad as the manga. Look no further than all of our reactions to it in past Toonami threads, lol.

Last Exile and Eureka 7 were the first purchases I made when I decided I want to collect complete series of my favorites. Great setting, amazing music with insert songs that sound like The Beatles, the characters and the story feel good, and excellent dub perfect for this setting. I have not seen Silver Wing, but for this series, I know you'll love the emotions from a lot of the characters.

Seconding other people's recommendation on Wolf's Rain. A great journey-type story, and you can skip the 4 recap episodes from different perspectives. Another great dub that compliments the world it's in, and you cannot go wrong with Yoko Kanno's composition. You gotta ask yourself, what is Paradise?

Get rid of Parasyte. Fucking garbage at
the penultimate and final episode
just throws everything away.

pbayne

Watched some more Martian Successor Nadesico...lol wtf is happening with everything? Its madness. Whatever you expect a mecha to do the show pulls the exact opposite and its brilliant.

Theonik

Watched some more Martian Successor Nadesico...lol wtf is happening with everything? Its madness. Whatever you expect a mecha to do the show pulls the exact opposite and its brilliant.
It's a mecha parody. Pretty good show all things considered!

• Juuni Kokuki
    ...as is this. Can't remember how satisfying the ending is, though - it wraps up most it's loose ends within their own arcs, but it does just kind of end at a point of what is still an evolving world.

Junni Kokuki is one of my favorites. Has some of the best character development that I've seen in an anime. The end was fine iirc thhough some of the novels weren't adapted which is a shame.

Line_HTX

The ones that caught my eye from John Blade's post was Paranoia Agent and And Yet The Town Moves, though I have not seen the latter.

Kiritobread should stare at the Paranoia Agent opening and laugh like everyone in there.

Cornbread78

Shit, I have a lot more to watch now. I still have to work on my "Narag" New Years hacklog bully list.

Last Exile sounds like a "must-watch" though.

John Blade

Shit, I have a lot more to watch now. I still have to work on my "Narag" New Years hacklog bully list.

Last Exile sounds like a "must-watch" though.

Last Exile is a good show if you want a good adventure story. They is some area of the show where the tone change a bit but it didn't hurt the show too much. Also, great fleet battle to watch.

2nd season is kinda a mix bag for me. It kinda have some same stuff which you like the 1st season but the new main character is something I m not too fond on mostly the main female character of the show. Also, the main incident in the show and the reason for it is very stupid when you start to think about it. Even with the flaws, the show is okay for most part but not as great as the 1st season.

pbayne

It's a mecha parody. Pretty good show all things considered!

Lol some of the jabs at Gundam Wing in particular had me rolling

Kabaneri pf the Iron Fortress 8

I love me some action scholk but its like the cast of fire emblem has invaded the show. Ill forgive the confusing layout where characters seemed to teleport between locations because it was so OTT in its wackiness. I guess we're going into "the deadliest game of all...man" territory.

Jeez Biba-sama. I don't mind the idea of his character...but jesus he fit like 20 episodes worth of villainy into 20 minutes, a smidgen of pacing would be appreciated.

Cornbread78

FMA:B ep.14
Ok, so you could tell something was up, but now I know that
the president is one of those pieces of shit
looks like he is after Edward and Al as well. That endif ala T2, but with
drinking his body juices
was pretty grim..

Sansha Sanyou 6

The way all the characters end up gravitating to whatever the location of the day is reminds me of classic 1980s comedies like Urusei Yatsura and Kimagure Orange Road.

Taruranto

9XvOCAm.jpg

lol, these dudes are ANIME as fuck

Just T

Ajin: 8-10

Kei is in his ruthless mode trying to preserve his newly acquired peace; really sucks for Kou. Looks like Satou is about to kick things off too, I wonder if Tanaka will stay on his side though, he seemed a little concerned when that guy was talking, as he should be.

jonjonaug

It's Sho Aikawa doing his "fuck hero shows here's how things would REALLY go" schtick except he actually pulls it off pretty well this time around.

Cornbread78

FMA:B ep.15
I see we are still introducing new characters; this time they ate from the east (Chinese) and are good at martial arts. Overall, not much happened outside of that, but it was all a set-up episode for the next one when they find out about
Mr. Hughes' death.

Cornbread78

What"s Anime-GAF's view on No Game No Life? It seems pretty divisive from what I've gathered.

It opens with the worst type of fanservice.

That said, it is pretty enjoyable if you can look past that.

As Hell said, it's got some gross fanservice to open up the show, but thankfully, cleans up for the most part and becomes a pretty good series. You just won't have anyone recommend it because of that two second opening image...

Really unnecessary/gross fanservice...

What"s Anime-GAF's view on No Game No Life? It seems pretty divisive from what I've gathered.

It's a great anime filled with mind games of characters going at it with each other in games like chess and such. Also filled with alot of fanservice. If you can stomach said fanservice the anime is a great watch.

Russ T

Banned

the first two minutes feature a little sister rubbing all up on her older brother, and not in a playful way

also a panty shot iirc?

i dunno what's after that cause i stopped watching at that point, there's more than enough Actual Good content out there for me to have to put up with the worst kind of shit

JulianImp

Amazing color palette, cool opening, a nice world with interesting rules (everything's decided through complicated games)...

Then we get to the show being little more than a power fantasy/harem that opens its very first episode with the MC's loli non-blood related sister cameltoe and has him slowly recruiting girls into a harem in all but name, and the girls sharing bubbly baths together because why the hell not.

It also doesn't get to a good stopping point before the anime ends, which was a shame.

-Minsc-

Glad you liked the ending! I always love how reactions to the ending usually range from people losing their minds or legitimately enjoying it. They're always fun to read.

Code Geass was such a success that Sunrise has kept trying (and failing) to recapture its magic ever since.

If I actually went and watched the whole thing I'd say I'd be in the camp of enjoying the ending.

It is an excellent show that is unfortunately REALLY brought down by fucking awful fan-service. I could get past it and enjoy the actual good show that was there but I can 100% understand if people are turned off by the fan-service. It's not pretty. The loli fan-service is heavy but the show at least doesn't ship heavy incest tones, they keep the brother/sister relationship pretty pure (despite one moment that was obviously done for incest fetishists...)

I'd give it a try but if the first episode's fan service disturbs or makes you dislike it then drop it because it doesn't get better.

I personally love the show a great amount, was in my top 5 anime of the year it came out in but that's with an enormously heavy grain of salt. I have tasteful posters of it, which were unsurprisingly hard to find.

Sterok

Anne-Happy 9

How do you get stuck in a pool? Even for Hanako, that is impressive. Botan gets to save the day for once.

Netoge 9

Heh, the servants rushed to dress up as maids/butlers. Nanako gets a better look at the abyss known as Ako. And the abyss stared back at all of them.

JulianImp

What

NGNL is the most garish and lurid product since the Trolls DOS game.

Hey, let me be. I liked the (ab)use of the blues-purple-magenta color range and the non-black outlines used for the characters in most scenes. I'll concede it wasn't some masterful execution of anything by a long shot, but I found the crazy color palette interesting and not awful, either.

Just T

Ajin: 11-12

Satou's plan was destructive, Tosaki's counter wasn't bad but there were some holes there which lead to a loss.

Defuser

Attack on Trains ep 8

They have motocycles.......MOTORCYCLES!!!!

I don't know why I'm ok with other stuff like steam guns,mortars but not motocycles.

Cool show, bad fan service. If only anime stopped cramming weird fetish stuff, we'd have a lot more awesome shows.

Kabaneri 08

9XvOCAm.jpg

lol, these dudes are ANIME as fuck

My opinion summed up. This whole show is just anime as heck. And it wasn't just once, it was multiple times that I cringed. The first few episodes of this show was solid. But the more we get into the show, the more generic and B-tier it gets and, man does it disappoint me. I was sort of hoping to get something smart and interesting here. At this point the show's plot is just as formulaic and anime as it could be. What keeps me engaged is the fast-paced action and the art which for the most part still holds up.

I have mentioned it before, the reason why I watch anime, and the one thing that keeps me engaged is the characters. I just don't care about a single soul in this show. And Mumei? She is just getting annoying now and bringing the show down for me.

Ugh I wanted this to be so much more than what we are getting and the potential was there for it too! :(

Attack on Trains ep 8

They have motocycles.......MOTORCYCLES!!!!

I don't know why I'm ok with other stuff like steam guns,mortars but not motocycles.

Eh there were motorcycles (shitty ones) in the mid-late 19th century. That's not a huge stretch. The ones they had were at least as advanced as WW1 motorcycles. It's not out of line with the other shit they have. The Confederacy in the American Civil War had a big ass gun powered by steam but I'm not sure if that is legit or not.

Cornbread78

The mind games in NGNL were the best part of the show, it's a shame the other crap brought it down...

Also, is there anyone else here that hasn't watched Code Geass yet or am I the only one?

Yeah that animation isn't great...

...Still gonna check it out though.

Why do that when you could be watching the much better CG mecha show Danball Senki?

Freakin' LOL.

Also, is there anyone else here that hasn't watched Code Geass yet or am I the only one?

Just watch Geass already so you can watch the REAL most insane modern mecha show ever made and shove that filthy imitator Cross Ange out of your mind.

The Flowers of Evil 04

9wn02QS.jpg

What does this even mean

The leitmotif (is that the word? for a pervading sound throughout a work? I don't remember) of a beating heart does so much to make this feel uneasy. It's a sound every person knows and it is usually associated with stress or fear. The sound in this show really is spectacular. The scene after Kasuga enters the class and is mocked, and then it pans between lots of people in the class with sounds of whispering and giggling in the background give it a very anxious feel. In my mind, this is a horror show. A very down to Earth horror show without a killer, a monster or a life or death situation. Kasuga is just dealing with a crazy person. It's more like Silence of the Lambs or Misery. Given all I just said, I should probably watch Mushi-shi at some point since I've heard the same praises applied to that show.

The show also has a real good sense of space.

cObzLeu.jpg
VkQN1JL.jpg
o1PJ8aj.jpg

Depending on who it is and how, being this close can be comforting or frightening

Alright but lets talk about how Kasuga is a bad person. Kasuga? More like Kusoga. Cuz he's a piece of shit.

Md0dwY1.jpg

Bullshit meters are at peak levels cap'n

No its not. It's nearly entirely your fault.

Xejg8xc.jpg
VoSO45p.jpg
5wodI0E.jpg

oh fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck youuuuu

Wow. Just wow. How disgustingly self righteous of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom