• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Katanagatari ep.6
katana0601.jpg

What is this maddness, more relationship development between Shichika and Togame? For once, I actually appreciate how understated their "romantic" relationship is and how they are approaching its development. The moments they spend together in peace conversating about each other and their outlooks are by far the best part of the show. They are both clueless in trust, love and how to be intimate with someone, bit they are managing to continually build a bond both with their current business, and beyond?? Attack boy Shichika, be her sword for life. That hammock scene was great....

Of course, there is some good action
Shichika got rekt
for the first time in the show this episode and by a little Eskimo girl at that, some good comedy, "cheerio," and the general sense of adventure is pretty good as well. Oh, and the "bad guys" in this show are halfway tolerable antagonists for once.

duckroll

I've been thinking. If you were responsible for a Key the Metal Idol remake today. How would you do it? Would it still be about her wanting to become and idol and aiming to have a big concert performance setpiece in the climax? Does that even make sense? Wouldn't it be about her and Sakura sitting in their apartment setting up a blog, a Youtube/Niconico account, Twitter, Facebook, etc instead? How would this change the dynamics of the story? How would it impact the dramatic themes and social commentary presented in this classic anime series? Discuss.

Thoraxes

Kana ended up alone and the blue haired guy ended up with the girl who had a crush on him , not the girl he had a crush on.

So you're saying that Chidori will end up alone and Tenga will get with Nico? Eh, I wouldn't mind that.

Naw man, that's not what I was saying at all.

It's clear Tenga gonna Chidori, and Nico will eat shiiiiiiiiit

Probably.

Except I didn't say it was good. I wouldn't call NGNL a good series perse.

I said it was enjoyable.

Big difference.

I did.

It's a very good series that has a lot of unfortunate loli fanservice shit.

I don't think it having this large negative aspect negates the good things the show does. If you can recognize it has this big problematic element and point it out to people and go "Yeah this is real fucking bad" then I don't see a problem also recognizing the good parts of the show or even enjoying it.

That said, it's WickedLaharl so who fucking cares what he said?

Jintor

i think in a story sense you could get a similar feeling by seeing a 'completed music video'. But even today I think a Live as a climax to a band/music story still works 100%.

duckroll

Earlier this week, the Garo movie website put up some coverage of a talk event given by the principal staff members of the film: http://garo-divineflame.jp/news/

There are some choice quotes about the production.

The director Yuichiro Hayashi mentions that with Seong Ho Park completely talking the reins on the action sequences of the film, he had nothing to worry about on that aspect and could fully focus his own efforts on bringing out the nuance in the character drama and emotions.

Unit director Seong Ho Park (the action animator who was also responsible for the godly Leon vs Alfonso episode) handled the storyboards, direction, and animation direction for the action parts of the film, and in particular there were three major set pieces they focused their efforts on. There's a bridge fight, a temple fight, and the climax battle takes place in a lake. For the finale, director Hayashi specifically requested "Bike action"-ish elements and an aquatic fight scene, so Park had to make the elements work.

Park also mentions that as a big movie buff, he turned to Marvel films for reference on the camerawork of action sequences, and while he was designing the action he didn't want to think whether they could be done or not, but rather just made up the coolest shit he could think of in his head first. The storyboards ended up being challenging, but he just let the director of photography Yusuke Tannawa work his magic on it. Rofls.

Mmmmmm.

Sansha Sanyou 7

Cartoony animation sequences like this one really do help to make the characters more entertaining. Even something as simple as Tsuji's arm stretching as she reaches to close the door invests her with personality.

So you're saying it's Power Source of Five Leaves instead?

Actually it's Artillery of Five Leaves.

Earlier this week, the Garo movie website put up some coverage of a talk event given by the principal staff members of the film: http://garo-divineflame.jp/news/

There are some choice quotes about the production.

The director Yuichiro Hayashi mentions that with Seong Ho Park completely talking the reins on the action sequences of the film, he had nothing to worry about on that aspect and could fully focus his own efforts on bringing out the nuance in the character drama and emotions.

Unit director Seong Ho Park (the action animator who was also responsible for the godly Leon vs Alfonso episode) handled the storyboards, direction, and animation direction for the action parts of the film, and in particular there were three major set pieces they focused their efforts on. There's a bridge fight, a temple fight, and the climax battle takes place in a lake. For the finale, director Hayashi specifically requested "Bike action"-ish elements and an aquatic fight scene, so Park had to make the elements work.

Park also mentions that as a big movie buff, he turned to Marvel films for reference on the camerawork of action sequences, and while he was designing the action he didn't want to think whether they could be done or not, but rather just made up the coolest shit he could think of in his head first. The storyboards ended up being challenging, but he just let the director of photography Yusuke Tannawa work his magic on it. Rofls.

Mmmmmm.

I love Hayashi (and Park!). The action sequences in Garo TV were already creative and well staged, so I'm excited to see that translated to the big screen (please, Funi).

Gintama - 25

Okay, I admit, I kinda cheated my way to get here in first watching the first 3 episodes then skipping my way to episode 16 up to 25. Regardless I think during that time I had a pretty good feel for the show and while I did get some chuckles it wasn't laugh at loud funny. But I keep hearing this show gets better during its ~200 episode run and episode 25 in particular was something to look foward to, well here I am and god damn was it hilarious.

The war over the hot pot is not only hilarious for its ridiculousness but the animation quality has improved drastically giving more opportunity of facial expressions. It also helped that Katsura was part of this episode as he's a character I enjoy seeing with his chemistry wit Gintoki. Anyways, a great episode and glad I stuck with the show (sort of) for this long. I do hope future episodes from here retain similar quality and this particular one wasn't an outlier.

T-Rex.

Banned
Gintama - 25

Okay, I admit, I kinda cheated my way to get here in first watching the first 3 episodes then skipping my way to episode 16 up to 25. Regardless I think during that time I had a pretty good feel for the show and while I did get some chuckles it wasn't laugh at loud funny. But I keep hearing this show gets better during its ~200 episode run and episode 25 in particular was something to look foward to, well here I am and god damn was it hilarious.

The war over the hot pot is not only hilarious for its ridiculousness but the animation quality has improved drastically giving more opportunity of facial expressions. It also helped that Katsura was part of this episode as he's a character I enjoy seeing with his chemistry wit Gintoki. Anyways, a great episode and glad I stuck with the show (sort of) for this long. I do hope future episodes from here retain similar quality and this particular one wasn't an outlier.
I think you skipped the initial Kondo stalking episode. That shit is pure gold, you need to watch it!

ibyea

Banned
The Flowers of Evil 04

The leitmotif (is that the word? for a pervading sound throughout a work? I don't remember) of a beating heart does so much to make this feel uneasy. It's a sound every person knows and it is usually associated with stress or fear. The sound in this show really is spectacular. The scene after Kasuga enters the class and is mocked, and then it pans between lots of people in the class with sounds of whispering and giggling in the background give it a very anxious feel. In my mind, this is a horror show. A very down to Earth horror show without a killer, a monster or a life or death situation. Kasuga is just dealing with a crazy person. It's more like Silence of the Lambs or Misery. Given all I just said, I should probably watch Mushi-shi at some point since I've heard the same praises applied to that show.

The show also has a real good sense of space.

Alright but lets talk about how Kasuga is a bad person. Kasuga? More like Kusoga. Cuz he's a piece of shit.

No its not. It's nearly entirely your fault.

Wow. Just wow. How disgustingly self righteous of you.

Haha, yeah when my brother and I watched this show we wanted to strangle Kasuga out of frustration.

TrueBlue

Thanks for all the responses last page. If it gets too much I'll just skip a couple of minutes. Shouldn't be an issue though - I'm pretty desensitised to thst stuff.

It's a shame that fanservice seems to be the main flaw however. Not even particularly averse to fanservice, but type and context obviously play a big role in that.

duckroll

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-06-03/anime-tamago-announces-projects-for-2017/.102805
http://aja.gr.jp/jigyou/ikusei/bunkacho_anime_ikusei

Studio 4C's epic Red Ash 3DCG Kickstarter anime short has successfully been selected for next year's Anime Tamago lineup. This means they're getting a budget injection by the Japanese government to make their dreams a larger reality! Instead of a 12 minute animation short, the first episode being produced will now be over 20 minutes! Yayifications?

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
The Flowers of Evil 04

The leitmotif (is that the word? for a pervading sound throughout a work? I don't remember) of a beating heart does so much to make this feel uneasy. It's a sound every person knows and it is usually associated with stress or fear. The sound in this show really is spectacular. The scene after Kasuga enters the class and is mocked, and then it pans between lots of people in the class with sounds of whispering and giggling in the background give it a very anxious feel. In my mind, this is a horror show. A very down to Earth horror show without a killer, a monster or a life or death situation. Kasuga is just dealing with a crazy person. It's more like Silence of the Lambs or Misery. Given all I just said, I should probably watch Mushi-shi at some point since I've heard the same praises applied to that show.

The show also has a real good sense of space.

Alright but lets talk about how Kasuga is a bad person. Kasuga? More like Kusoga. Cuz he's a piece of shit.

No its not. It's nearly entirely your fault.

Wow. Just wow. How disgustingly self righteous of you.
Yeah, Kasuga is a pretentious boy who think he above all since he read flower of evil. Dude is a miserable teenager.

TrueBlue

No Game No Life Episode 1

Whoever said within "the first two seconds" was right. Like, literally as soon as the MCs are introduced.

Aside from that though - colour me intrigued. The world and its ten pledges looks very interesting, and I look forward to seeing how Blank cheat their way through things.

Series looks nice as well, the opening battle segment in particular standing out.

Overall, a solid opening.

Crocodile

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-06-03/anime-tamago-announces-projects-for-2017/.102805

Studio 4C's epic Red Ash 3DCG Kickstarter anime short has successfully been selected for next year's Anime Tamago lineup. This means they're getting a budget injection by the Japanese government to make their dreams a larger reality! Instead of a 12 minute animation short, the first episode being produced will now be over 20 minutes! Yayifications?

Inafune is the best business man ever! He even talked the government into getting him money :p

If it turns out to be a good product all the better I suppose. I still feel uncomfortable about the "white-washed" version of Call in this one but whatever I guess :/

TrueBlue

On second thought, re-reading some of the NGNL discussion of the last couple of pages, I think I'll just leave it be. I really like the premise but it seems like it just won't be worth the effort.

A pity.

If Inafune can no longer convince the public to give him money, at least he knows he can still convince the government to do so!

Quasar

Hmm that girl sounds like Naru from Barakamon which would mean they chose a child voice actor again. Neat.

edit:
Whoops, turned out it was Hina. Well, at least I recognized the voice was in Barakamon!

Yeah.

Loved what I read of the manga, so this has been much anticipated for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom