• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line_HTX

I personally believe that while AnimeGAF might never accept the Berserk series after being fundamentally opposed to it in advance, that it will probably be pretty popular with people who do want to see more Berserk animated. I just hope it doesn't hold back on account of also being on MBS.

Does it matter what channel it airs on?

pbayne

I'll always sup-port more of Berserk being animated. It might look to be in choppy waters atm, but im sure it'll be smooth sailing once it gets going.

JoJo DIU 10

Lol some of Josuke's faces were amazing. Peak JoJo right here.

Theonik

It's fine to not do any research into upcoming anime, just don't bother to issue an uninformed opinion then!
I'll probably look into them once we actually know things of substance about them. I don't think judging what people find exciting is very productive though! There's a reason why viewership gravitates to just a few shows besides simple taste.

It is also very unproductive to call people uninformed over this.

It determines the amount of censorship present on initial airing that might make or break the show in this case.

duckroll

Absolutely. The level of violence, gore, nudity, and sexual content in Berserk is absolutely not appropriate for broadcast TV in Japan, even late night. The fact the show will broadcast on WOWOW first, as an exclusive part of their new anime slot, is promising because it means the show could be conceived for cable first and foremost, with an edited version on MBS for the delay broadcast on Animeism.

Eumi

Tonio<<<<<<<<<DIO

I'm so happy to see the positive reaction to this from first timers, was really worried a bunch of people would be turned off by this stuff since it's a new direction for JoJo.

Edit: wait did I get that the wrong way round? I might have.

Tonio is the best is what I'm saying. Please understand.

Cornbread78

It gets too much love as it is, for an overrated melodramatic show...

It doesn't get much love here and isn't "overated," the overall ranking on MAL and Hummingbird is pretty high, but with good reason. It's a dramatic story with engaging characters and good story. Sure, it has melodrama but appreciated the way the story was presented to the very end. They went deeply into each character and really pulled out and displayed their inner thoughts and emotions in a believable way. This is a big contrast to most shows that dance around issues and present them in an awful fashion.

The most common complaint I hear is in regards to the mood whiplash they use by mixing a wacky comedic scene during or immediately after a dramatic monent. I can see why this can bother sone, but I dare to say, that method is almost as bad, if not worse in sone cases, in FMA:B from what I've seen so far.

Qurupeke

Beyond the Boundary 7-8
4BBHS6g.png
rjrijLn.png
nq6v05g.png
3QYMYOt.png
yTJo44j.png
aCrbqhd.png
There are still a few episodes left, but I think I have a basic understanding of the series now. I'm a bit confused on the hate the show gets. I've seen a lot of hyperbole when people don't like something, but I was prepared for something very bad when I started this.

It has quite a few flaws, undoubtedly so, but I don't really think they're enough to make this extremely bad or not enjoyable. Maybe mediocre, but the animation, the music, the backgrounds and the attention to the details, certainly give it a charm that elevates it to something of greater quality. I guess people expected something better or something different, considering it's more SoL and less "dark" than I thought at first. But nevertheless, I find it very hard to put it on the same category as trash...

The biggest offender on the anime is (still) the humor, which remains unnecessarily off putting most of the time. Maybe this is the thing that turned a lot of people away, and I could actually understand it. Furthermore, the pacing and the characters are kind of terrible. The anime moves quickly, which is actually good for the action and it guarantees that it isn't boring, but there have been plenty of weird emotional transitions. Mirai's relationship with Akihito and especially the siblings progressed really fast, and even though at this point they've grown closer, it felt a bit forced at first. And the whole deal with Sakura, ready to kill Mirai and on the next morning she casually sleeps with her. Maybe they were trying to adapt a lot of volumes, I'm not really sure why this happens.

Anyway, I think I sound a bit negative on the show myself, but I still like quite a few things about it, other than Kyoani's treatment and the action of course. The SoL aspect certainly works on me, and I actually enjoyed the silly stuff with the idols on episode 6 a lot. The atmosphere of the show is great, even though the distinction to what is serious and what is just the characters having fun has been a bit hazy. The direction is pretty good too, despite some decisions that are bothering me.

Oh, and while I'm not really keen on the main cast, the side characters are decent and very intimidating. I love the foreshadowing and the power games that seem to happen between them. And the yomu designs are decent and outworldish, certainly on point. The show is generally very pleasant to watch, as I expected it to be very "edgy". It can still be dark and over the top, but without turning completely ridiculous.

Tl;dr: It's not bad.
Maybe I'm giving it a lot more attention and time than the one it deserves. Maybe I should have watched something better instead of this. But I think it's worth it so far. The posts are getting a bit lengthy though.
How unpleasant!

I honestly don't understand why people would say Summer looks barren. It literally has more shows to watch then freaking Spring.

You have...

91 Days
Handa-kun (prequel of Barakamon very funny)
Orange
Rewrite
Mob Psycho
Berserk
Sweetness and Lightning (incredibly fluffy)
Relife
D.Gray-Man
Battery
Arslan
Soma
Tales of Zestria
Drifters

I mean it's looking better than Spring.

duckroll

It doesn't get much love here and isn't "overated," the overall ranking on MAL and Hummingbird is pretty high, but with good reason. It's a dramatic story with engaging characters and good story. Sure, it has melodrama but appreciated the way the story was presented to the very end. They went deeply into each character and really pulled out and displayed their inner thoughts and emotions in a believable way. This is a big contrast to most shows that dance around issues and present them in an awful fashion.

The most common complaint I hear is in regards to the mood whiplash they use by mixing a wacky comedic scene during or immediately after a dramatic monent. I can see why this can bother sone, but I dare to say, that method is almost as bad, if not worse in sone cases, in FMA:B from what I've seen so far.

It's a cheap emotionally manipulative show. There's nothing engaging about that. It's the same shallow crap people tend to enjoy in Korean dramas. Not a sign of quality, just a sign that people have low expectations. It's an insult to dramas which have characterization and drama executed with actual nuance to say that something like this is deep. It would be like saying a Key show is good. Lol.

Furthermore, outside of the cool animation, FMA:B is a shitty dramatic show too. Poor pacing, average directing. OG FMA for life.

I personally believe that while AnimeGAF might never accept the Berserk series after being fundamentally opposed to it in advance, that it will probably be pretty popular with people who do want to see more Berserk animated. I just hope it doesn't hold back on account of also being on MBS.

It's not like I want the show to be bad, fundamentally it just doesn't look appealing at all. It would be amazing if it did turn out decent or good, but my expectations are rock bottom.

And of course it will be popular it has the Berserk name on it. I'm not the kind of fan who accepts everything with the brand on it on a silver plate. If I'm a fan of a series then I probably have a level of expectations because I am a fan of the series, and so far the 2016 Berserk anime seems to be falling drastically below that.

It doesn't get much love here and isn't "overated,"

the overall ranking on MAL and Hummingbird is pretty high, but with good reason.

Hmmm. HMMMMMMM.

Cornbread78

In regards to this summer, there may only be a couple "big" shows coming out, but there is a little bit of everything for people to check out. I plan on checking out about 10-15 shows right off the bat, but I can already tell that I'm going to drop a few because they are likely poorly written trash. I'll still give them a chance before U drop and trash them though....

Ange Vierge, D GRAY Man, Battery, 91 Days, Orange, ReWrite, ReLIFE, Handa-kun, Hatsukoi Monster, Kono Bijutsubu, Nejimaki Seirei, Qualidea, Regalia, Soma, Taboo Tattoo, Tales of Zestiria, Planetarian, etc.

blurr

I pretty much picked Your Lie in April after I heard so much praise during the time it aired, it had all the themes I'd like but it just didn't live up to it - melodrama as they say. Heck I didn't even mind the out of tone comedy as much as the drama.

Your Lie in April doesn't look like a show I would enjoy. Its comedy style reminds me of FMA (negative) and it seems most of the praise people give to the show boils down to "The Feels" (also negative.)

The only parts of Your Lie in April that I'm really enjoying are the performances, really. :|

Like I said before, the mood whiplash with the comedy and drama is a really big detriment. It makes it difficult to actually feel for the characters when one second I'm supposed to be sad and the next I'm supposed to be laughing.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Girls und Panzer der film
This is pretty much a love letter to fans. Those who enjoy cute girls doing badass tankery, this is what you wanted and everything you hoped for. 2 hours running time, and 3/4 of the movie was great choreographed tanks action. The comparison to Mad Max Fury Road is right. The action are bombastic full of insane but fun stunt. There's a lot of interesting camera angle, the First person shot segment was great. The animation, CG or 2d was detailed, though there's usual sore spot for some CG. The soundtrack which mostly orchestra sounding was great and as memorable as the tv series.

The only flaw from this movie is probably the amount of characters in it and some spotty CG. All character from the tv series appear, then there's new characters for the movie too. It's not exactly a character driven movie, so it's really just a minor flaw.

Conclusion: a great continuation movie that know exactly what the fans want.

Have we gotten a successor to Amagami/Photo Kano yet?
Bout time to start catching up on some anime again and would like something along those lines to start with.

Theonik

Your Lie in April doesn't look like a show I would enjoy. Its comedy style reminds me of FMA (negative) and it seems most of the praise people give to the show boils down to "The Feels" (also negative.)
I have begun completely ignoring the opinions of people that refer to 'The feels' it's worked out fantastically so far.

blurr

What would be a better way to say your interpretation of "feels"? not that I intend to justify the term, I'm curious.

Cornbread78

It's a cheap emotionally manipulative show. There's nothing engaging about that. It's the same shallow crap people tend to enjoy in Korean dramas. Not a sign of quality, just a sign that people have low expectations. It's an insult to dramas which have characterization and drama executed with actual nuance to say that something like this is deep. It would be like saying a Key show is good. Lol.

Furthermore, outside of the cool animation, FMA:B is a shitty dramatic show too. Poor pacing, average directing. OG FMA for life.

Well, being emotionally manipulative is the point of these kinds of shows. For that, the show really hits it's mark with how it all plays out. I appreciated the imagery they used to present the story as well; at times it was over the top, but it fit. What I perceive as emotional is completely different as the stone hearted guy next to me, and we're bound to pull different thoughts and emotions from a dramatic moment. YLIA is no different in thar regaed, however, I was able to identify with Kaori, Kousei and those around them to the end.

Line_HTX

The only parts of Your Lie in April that I'm really enjoying are the performances, really. :|

Like I said before, the mood whiplash with the comedy and drama is a really big detriment. It makes it difficult to actually feel for the characters when one second I'm supposed to be sad and the next I'm supposed to be laughing.

There were too many whiplashes that it just killed the point of certain scenes.

I have begun completely ignoring the opinions of people that refer to 'The feels' it's worked out fantastically so far.

Maybe it's unfair but I always associate da feelz with the are games art kind of arguments (mostly useless) or what have you arguments where it always boils down to "Yeah but did it make you cry?" and that kind of thinking has always seemed to me like people are underselling their own point. Like Journey or Telltale's The Walking Dead, which I'm pretty sure was the genesis of the feels, when people praise those games eventually someone will say "It's a game that made me cry!" It's the same with Clannad or whatever other KEY garbage there is. If making someone cry is the best achievement you can raise for your medium then you aren't doing that good of a job. That's of course not to say that it can't be effective in games like Nier or Metal Gear Solid 3 but I'd say those games have actual pathos, or anime like Jin-Roh or Gintama. Yeah, I named those 'cuz I did cry at some point during them but I wouldn't name that as a selling point.

/nonsensicalrant

Qurupeke

Diamond is Unbreakable 10

Better food reactions than Soma. Easily the most enjoyable episode so far and the final "confrontation" was so intense.

Russ T

Banned

I have never and will never use the phrase "the feels" in a, uh, legitimate(?) fashion. How dare you associate me with such people!

You're right, it isn't. I meant the melodrama wasn't evocative so much as exaggerated and not in a stylistic sense.

Yeah that's fair! Even if I disagree.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
What would be a better way to say your interpretation of "feels"? not that I intend to justify the term, I'm curious.
Did emotions or even really life itself exist before memes? Probably not.

Line_HTX

Maybe it's unfair but I always associate da feelz with the are games art kind of arguments (mostly useless) or what have you arguments where it always boils down to "Yeah but did it make you cry?" and that kind of thinking has always seemed to me like people are underselling their own point. Like Journey or Telltale's The Walking Dead, which I'm pretty sure was the genesis of the feels, when people praise those games eventually someone will say "It's a game that made me cry!" It's the same with Clannad or whatever other KEY garbage there is. If making someone cry is the best achievement you can raise for your medium then you aren't doing that good of a job. That's of course not to say that it can't be effective in games like Nier or Metal Gear Solid 3 but I'd say those games have actual pathos, or anime like Jin-Roh or Gintama. Yeah, I named those 'cuz I did cry at some point during them but I wouldn't name that as a selling point.

/nonsensicalrant

Does Nier have a beautiful Duwang?

:lol

pbayne

Im not stepping up to bat for Your Lie in April here(i think its an okay show but nothing great) but of the people who don't like here, how many actually finished it?

Maybe its just me but i tend to have no opinion on a show if i didn't finish it or get close to finishing, because i feel i didn't really give it a chance. Not that makes someone else's opinion invalid but eh i dunno, it just feels unfair to certain shows at times.

Line_HTX

Im not stepping up to bat for Your Lie in April here(i think its an okay show but nothing great) but of the people who don't like here, how many actually finished it?

Maybe its just me but i tend to have no opinion on a show if i didn't finish it or get close to finishing, because i feel i didn't really give it a chance. Not that makes someone else's opinion invalid but eh i dunno, it just feels unfair to certain shows at times.

I was very patient and got to the halfway point, then I couldn't go anymore.

blurr

I have watched to the end, I did find the ending moving but not to an extent I can overlook what I had been through.

duckroll

Terrible perspective to have. Entertainment should be judged based on the format it is designed for. If a television series hold the viewer's attention, that's on it. The viewer gave it a chance. Giving something a chance means consuming it in the way it was designed to be consumed. If you walk out of a movie after 10 minutes, sure, maaaaaaaybe you didn't give it a fair shot, but even then, if it was really awful, why bother. But if you watch an episode of a series and it sucks, well it sucks. No one can be faulted for not wanting to invest more time into garbage. Time is valuable. Wasting it on bad disposable entertainment is pointless. Telling people not to waste their time on the same shit is just doing a public service.

phaze

Jojo 10

The worst of Soma and Jojo combined together. Yuck.

I did however very much appreciate the break in the usual pattern of things with Tonio (seemingly) not turning out hostile.

But can someone finally murder Okuyasu dead. Painfully please.

Now to rewatch #9 and reassure myself it was indeed as stupid as it seemed to me on the first watch.

Luloco 10
8.856/10

I haven't been as warm on this show as others but this one was magnificent

Just T

Yeah I also thought Your Lie in April had some bad comedy whiplash, that aggressive shit. I really didn't like how they went about things with Kousei. It was still pretty good though, I just also think it peeked early and there are a few characters I still didn't care for in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom