• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line_HTX

At least Onii-sama's auto-revive in Dengeki wasn't as broken as I thought it would be. You still revive with a pretty low amount of hearth! Haha

pbayne

Terrible perspective to have. Entertainment should be judged based on the format it is designed for. If a television series hold the viewer's attention, that's on it. The viewer gave it a chance. Giving something a chance means consuming it in the way it was designed to be consumed. If you walk out of a movie after 10 minutes, sure, maaaaaaaybe you didn't give it a fair shot, but even then, if it was really awful, why bother. But if you watch an episode of a series and it sucks, well it sucks. No one can be faulted for not wanting to invest more time into garbage. Time is valuable. Wasting it on bad disposable entertainment is pointless. Telling people not to waste their time on the same shit is just doing a public service.

I get what you mean but i think im coming from the perspective of if i know a lot of people liked a show (example Your Lie in April) i don't think i should go around de-faming it if i only watched 3 or 4 episodes. I don't see the benefit of being negative to spoil others enjoyment or warn people off a show i don't know much about.

Sure there's crap that you know is bad immediately, but i just tend to drop and completely forget about them/never mention them again. I guess what im trying to say(rather poorly) is that i don't agree with the mindset of "well i hated the first 4 episodes of x show therefore its bad and the rest of it is bad and ill tell the world why i thought it was bad" when it could have been amazing after that.

Eh i guess its all semantics/personal preferences what people like/spend their time on though.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
It's okay for fiction to be emotionally manipulative, but when there is little craft to the approach it's just going to come off as silly to most people. Blunt pleas for an emotional connection to the audience are often even more alienating to those identifying them. Charles Dickens could be considered a regular peddler of melodrama, but his unique brand of wit and capability to construct a cohesive story that truly moves are almost unmatched. Your Lie in April does not really have a smartly told or thoughtful story to back its emotional demands.

At least Onii-sama's auto-revive in Dengeki wasn't as broken as I thought it would be. You still revive with a pretty low amount of hearth! Haha

No no, when he resurrects or heals someone it hurts Onii-sama immensely. Like he's taking on their sins pain. All hail our Randian ubermensch Messiah and his beautiful and pure imouto. Amen.

Russ T

Banned
of course, it wasn't entirely like that, there were moments the melodrama felt justified but for the better part of it I have not found it evocative

your use of exclamations intimidates me

Sorry I'm very excitable!!!!

If it's any consolation, I have realized over time that i use exclamation points when I'm trying to sound positive or lighten the mood! I don't know why!

blurr

While I completely agree with duckroll, a lot of times I see people dropping something over the initial content being different from what they 'expect' rather than appreciating/not appreciating something for what it is. That's their prerogative of course but it's sad when things go underappreciated. Case in point, the first ten episodes of Steins;Gate which isn't perfect but I thought had a great build up and fun moments but for a lot of people I had suggested or picked it over all the hype, it was a slog until they reached the 13th episode.

The first 8 episodes of JJBA S1 also comes to mind which I enjoyed.

This depends on the person of course.

I have wisely decided to forego most anime this weekend in favor of reading books. I have the Game of ThronesA Song of Ice and Fire book series and it is collecting dust. Narag is my inspiration.

Yes I know GoTA Song of Ice and Fire is anime as fuck but baby steps you see.

I thought everybody's favourite anime was shit, and that's why we're all stuck here forever ;p

Or at least until we all get permed

I have wisely decided to forego most anime this weekend in favor of reading books. I have the Game of Thrones book series and it is collecting dust. Narag is my inspiration.

Yes I know GoT is anime as fuck but baby steps you see.

A Song of Ice and Fire is more manga as fuck, since it will never be finished.

convo

Jojo 10

The worst of Soma and Jojo combined together. Yuck.

What? I didn't see girls getting their clothes blown off in a lewd way, instead we got a buff guy getting healthy with some gore. I don't see the commonalities besides reacting to good food here.

Wanderer5

Well the Berserk anime is going to be on Crunchyroll, so guess I am kind leaning towards that service again (don't feel like spending for both CR and Funimation heh). I sure D.Gray-man is going to be on Funimation, but I likely wouldn't mind waiting a week later for each episode.

Depends what original anime or stuff I haven't seen before catches my eye I suppose. There Orange at the very least, but not sure about anything else yet.

duckroll

While I completely agree with duckroll, a lot of times I see people dropping something over the initial content being different from what they 'expect' rather than appreciating/not appreciating something for what it is. That's their prerogative of course but it's sad when things go underappreciated. Case in point, the first ten episodes of Steins;Gate which isn't perfect but I thought had a great build up and fun moments but for a lot of people I had suggested or picked it over all the hype, it was a slog until they reached the 13th episode.

The first 8 episodes of JJBA S1 also comes to mind which I enjoyed.

This depends on the person of course.

That's fine and all, but it's on them. I mean, ultimately who cares? If we're talking about an actual debate about the quality of a show, if someone watched part of a show and dropped it because it's not what they expected and they didn't want what it turned out to be, that's not a knock on the show. People who are interested in that sort of thing is not going to look at that sort of opinion and be turned off. People who don't care for that sort of thing either will then know not to check it out because they might have had the same misconception. Either way it is valuable information to have.

I think if a show changes in direction later on, or earlier expectations turn out to be very different to what a show ends up being, that's worth discussion. Someone who drops a show early might miss out on that, but that's when you argue the point rather than argue the person. It's useless to go "DID YOU EVEN WATCH ALL OF IT?" as a counterpoint because the default response to that can be "no, but so what". If there is an actual point to be made about the later content in a series, make that point instead. It's like going "CAN YOU DO BETTER HUH?!" when someone criticizes writing or direction. Just worthless noise.

Mailbox

Jesus, I leave the thread for a few days and for some reason everyone hates Your lie in April now?

What the hell happened?
Jesus....

Mind you, I didn't like the slapstick or the awkward art style transitions early in the series, but I still really really enjoyed it despite those things.

Next thing you know stuff like Barakamon and Usagi Drop will get shit on. :/

duckroll

I don't think a single long term poster in this thread has changed their opinion on Your Lie in April since it was airing. So the idea that it was well loved and then people started shitting on it now is patently false.

Well the Berserk anime is going to be on Crunchyroll, so guess I am kind leaning towards that service again (don't feel like spending for both CR and Funimation heh). I sure D.Gray-man is going to be on Funimation, but I likely wouldn't mind waiting a week later for each episode.

Depends what original anime or stuff I haven't seen before catches my eye I suppose. There Orange at the very least, but not sure about anything else yet.
D.Gray-man wont go to funimation and I am pretty sure it's going to be on crunchyroll.

Mailbox

I don't think a single long term poster in this thread has changed their opinion on Your Lie in April since it was airing. So the idea that it was well loved and then people started shitting on it now is patently false.

Sure as hell wasn't this hated.

Iirc it seemed more like people were taking the show at face value back the , taking the good with the bad, and with the last couple of pages it's all focus on the bad.

Seems like expression of what was bad in many series gets disproportionally larger as what was good gets significantly smaller as shows age in this thread :/

Even through they had licensed the original anime? You don't think they would try for this too?
I think there was a problem with how much the licenser were asking for the license and as a matter of fact they only have 51 episodes of the 103 licensed.

So yea I doubt they are going to try getting this. It's a shame since I really liked natsu's VA as Allen Walker.

Wanderer5

I think there was a problem with how much the licenser were asking for the license and as a matter of fact they only have 51 episodes of the 103 licensed. So yea I doubt they are going to try getting this. It's a shame since I really liked natsu's VA as Allen Walker.

Aaaaaaah okay, well we find out soon enough.

Maybe this anime will re kindle the D.Gray-man fan in me some more heh, through I read some of the manga again not too long ago, and still keep up on the new chapters.

blurr

That's fine and all, but it's on them. I mean, ultimately who cares? If we're talking about an actual debate about the quality of a show, if someone watched part of a show and dropped it because it's not what they expected and they didn't want what it turned out to be, that's not a knock on the show. People who are interested in that sort of thing is not going to look at that sort of opinion and be turned off. People who don't care for that sort of thing either will then know not to check it out because they might have had the same misconception. Either way it is valuable information to have.

Exactly, it's on them in this case and yes, them dropping a show over it turning out to be different from what they want has little to no concrete consequences. I'm just saying it is sad when things go underappreciated but you know, that's just a feeling, nobody cares about my feelings on that. I did feel obligated to point it out though so at least I care :)

I think if a show changes in direction later on, or earlier expectations turn out to be very different to what a show ends up being, that's worth discussion. Someone who drops a show early might miss out on that, but that's when you argue the point rather than argue the person. It's useless to go "DID YOU EVEN WATCH ALL OF IT?" as a counterpoint because the default response to that can be "no, but so what". If there is an actual point to be made about the later content in a series, make that point instead. It's like going "CAN YOU DO BETTER HUH?!" when someone criticizes writing or direction. Just worthless noise.

Yea, in cases like Your Lie in April I find your argument completely credible.

Crocodile

It's fine to not do any research into upcoming anime, just don't bother to issue an uninformed opinion then!

Of course, everybody has their own tastes. It just seems like a pretty varied season with a number of promising shows with promising material, promising staff, and promising PVs, so unless your tastes are narrow it seems strange to consider it a bust already. Anything can go awry no matter how much promise it looks to have, but that's the nature of TV. Also, I don't get this anime fan thing of considering any series that doesn't start for the very first time in a certain season to no longer exist.

I don't think most people are saying much of the Summer season will be outright bad but I also don't think its unfair to say a lot of shows don't have obvious hooks or make strong first impressions. It's hard to generate pre-season hype without hooks or strong first/surface impressions.

It's a cheap emotionally manipulative show. There's nothing engaging about that. It's the same shallow crap people tend to enjoy in Korean dramas. Not a sign of quality, just a sign that people have low expectations. It's an insult to dramas which have characterization and drama executed with actual nuance to say that something like this is deep. It would be like saying a Key show is good. Lol.

Furthermore, outside of the cool animation, FMA:B is a shitty dramatic show too. Poor pacing, average directing. OG FMA for life.

*Rightfully bashes emotionally manipulative shows*

*Praises OG FMA*

satiama_ok_thumbnail_grande.jpg

In the aim to not be 100% snarky, I'll say that one of my issues with OG FMA is how it often went out of its way to be emotionally manipulative. So if you specifically want to praise it for its pacing or direction I guess I won't stop you but it just feels a bit ironic that these conversations about You Lie in April and FMA are occurring in parallel yet there is this big thing connecting them as well

Cornbread78

Christ. Can... can we all go back to hating on things no one will defend?

No, because everyone's favorite anime sucks; NO exceptions. We tried foguring it out a few months ago, but I don't think that there was a single universally praised show that AnimeGAF could agree on, lol.

Jarmel

Banned
Bad shows? Yup.
I was about to argue that most good works of fiction are designed to be emotionally manipulative but dimb beat me to it.
It's okay for fiction to be emotionally manipulative, but when there is little craft to the approach it's just going to come off as silly to most people. Blunt pleas for an emotional connection to the audience are often even more alienating to those identifying them. Charles Dickens could be considered a regular peddler of melodrama, but his unique brand of wit and capability to construct a cohesive story that truly moves are almost unmatched. Your Lie in April does not really have an smartly told or thoughtful story to back its emotional demands.
Right, it's about the approach and delivery.
"Defaming" lol. I don't give a shit about your feelings. Your favorite anime is shit. :p
056.jpg

Jarmel

Banned
It doesn't get much love here and isn't "overated," the overall ranking on MAL and Hummingbird is pretty high, but with good reason. It's a dramatic story with engaging characters and good story. Sure, it has melodrama but appreciated the way the story was presented to the very end. They went deeply into each character and really pulled out and displayed their inner thoughts and emotions in a believable way. This is a big contrast to most shows that dance around issues and present them in an awful fashion.

The most common complaint I hear is in regards to the mood whiplash they use by mixing a wacky comedic scene during or immediately after a dramatic monent. I can see why this can bother sone, but I dare to say, that method is almost as bad, if not worse in sone cases, in FMA:B from what I've seen so far.

The difference is that with FMA:B is that it doesn't have such a realistic tone to it so the tone whiplashes are mostly fine. Your Lie in April has a really depressing and dark tone to it that FMA:B never generally reaches and so when it switches to physical comedy it comes off as extreme.

Also there's the tone deafness of having physical abuse heaped onto a person who suffered physical abuse as a child, and then playing it off comedically.

Jesus, I leave the thread for a few days and for some reason everyone hates Your lie in April now?

What the hell happened?
Jesus....

Mind you, I didn't like the slapstick or the awkward art style transitions early in the series, but I still really really enjoyed it despite those things.

Next thing you know stuff like Barakamon and Usagi Drop will get shit on. :/

I can't understand how anyone could hate Barakamon.

It's like you hate fun.

phaze

What? I didn't see girls getting their clothes blown off in a lewd way, instead we got a buff guy getting healthy with some gore. I don't see the commonalities besides reacting to good food here.

Dreary, overlong exposition on how the food tastes and how it was prepared.

What did Koyasu have to do with anything this episode?

Bad characters names are hard to memorize 'kay ?

Kabane Ja Nai 08
Miksa, Eren >> Ikoma, Mumei

At this point, I'm on the verge of saying the only thing this might have over AoT is the pacing but I guess it still probably the better looking show.

Sure.

Gundam 00: A wakening of the Trailblazer is the worst Gundam product of all time and the second anime I hate the most.
Lies the 00 movie was great fun and I loved the action. G-reco would be the worst gundam.

Chivalry of a white knight would be a show everyone can hate and no one would defend. It was just wayy to terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom