• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Szadek

Bad shows? Yup.
Any art piece in any medium is supposed to manipulated you emotionally in some way or another.
Maybe it's unfair but I always associate da feelz with the are games art kind of arguments (mostly useless) or what have you arguments where it always boils down to "Yeah but did it make you cry?" and that kind of thinking has always seemed to me like people are underselling their own point. Like Journey or Telltale's The Walking Dead, which I'm pretty sure was the genesis of the feels, when people praise those games eventually someone will say "It's a game that made me cry!" It's the same with Clannad or whatever other KEY garbage there is. If making someone cry is the best achievement you can raise for your medium then you aren't doing that good of a job. That's of course not to say that it can't be effective in games like Nier or Metal Gear Solid 3 but I'd say those games have actual pathos, or anime like Jin-Roh or Gintama. Yeah, I named those 'cuz I did cry at some point during them but I wouldn't name that as a selling point.

/nonsensicalrant
Strongly disagree with that. If you manage to engage the audience that much, you are certainly doing at least a pretty good job.

The worst thing about Attack on Titan is that Eren will become even more insufferable in Season 2.

This guy is completely trash.

I'm glad they pushed the anime back.

pbayne

No, because everyone's favorite anime sucks; NO exceptions. We tried foguring it out a few months ago, but I don't think that there was a single universally praised show that AnimeGAF could agree on, lol.

I mean Nurse Witch Komugi-chan R still has a 100% approval rating lol

Cornbread78

The difference is that with FMA:B is that it doesn't have such a realistic tone to it so the tone whiplashes are mostly fine. Your Lie in April has a really depressing and dark tone to it that FMA:B never generally reaches and so when it switches to physical comedy it comes off as extreme.

Also there's the tone deafness of having physical abuse heaped onto a person who suffered physical abuse as a child, and then playing it off comedically.

I don't know, I have already come across a few pretty dark moments in FMA:B like when taking about their pasts abd what happened to them/ their family, that have been interrupted by Edward breaking down into his silly faces, etc. My buddy told me they did that so things didn't get too dark for the viewer, however, it has the same affect as YLIA. I haven't gotten far enough to see of that continues throughout, but I am able to look past that for the most part.

Funny enough, this same comedic method is now being used by Twin Star Exorcists.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Jesus, I leave the thread for a few days and for some reason everyone hates Your lie in April now?

Lying is an awful habit no matter the month. It's only right and proper that people are negative about a show that encourages such behaviour with its title.

read books. abandon anime

TUSR' make that the summer OT subtitle

I'm making the OT and no.

bFtYeE6.png

jonjonaug

I loved Awakening of the Trailblazer as a pure popcorn movie where a bunch of stupid shit happens.

But I've also never watched Gundam 00 and have no attachment to the series. I just saw the movie with a bunch of friends at a con.

Just about every word spoken or thought from Your Lie in April's characters turned them into less believable human beings. If you actually look at what they fuck they're saying and thinking (gotta empathize the latter if you consider the ludicrous amount of monologues), most of it is bullshit. I mean it's not surprising in a show that ones to sell you the idea that someone literally, not just metaphorically, lost the ability to 'hear the notes/sounds' when playing a Piano due to trauma.

My problem certainly wasn't given this show too few episodes. Rather, I liked the concept and basic setup for the characters but nothing about the execution was any good.

Narag

I loved Awakening of the Trailblazer as a pure popcorn movie where a bunch of stupid shit happens.

But I've also never watched Gundam 00 and have no attachment to the series. I just saw the movie with a bunch of friends at a con.

I could see it bring enjoyable that way.

Russ T

Banned
real talk i bawled my fucking eyes out halfway through she and her cat

in my defense i am a massive crybaby childboy in a rubber adult bodysuit

Dreary, overlong exposition on how the food tastes and how it was prepared.

I wish they would've actually shown how it was prepared, that's what I like the most about Soma. Obviously that would've been counter-intuitive for this JoJo episode.

Kabane Ja Nai 08
Miksa, Eren >> Ikoma, Mumei

At this point, I'm on the verge of saying the only thing this might have over AoT is the pacing but I guess it still probably the better looking show.

I already preferred AoT character design early on and with these newly introduced super anime-looking dudes Kabaneri's just getting worse and worse. AoT had also way better action sequences. There's just so little visually appealing happening during those fights against the Kabane. Besides, the visuals certainly no longer hold up to what we've seen at the beginning.

And yeh, I can give this show better pacing. It's just that pacing by itself doesn't matter when there's nothing good to get through.

I'm glad that at least here on AnimeGAF most people have come to realize that these characters were getting worse quickly. On Reddit I constantly read the justifications à la "Yeh, well I totally love how stupid Mumei is because that's how a 12 years old would be!" I bet it's the same people who originally praised Mumei and Ikoma for being so badass and able.

I'll probably look into them once we actually know things of substance about them. I don't think judging what people find exciting is very productive though! There's a reason why viewership gravitates to just a few shows besides simple taste.

It is also very unproductive to call people uninformed over this.

This may be a personal hangup, but while I don't mind people who only care about anime when it's an adaptation of material they're familiar with, and I understand why they would focus on that, I do mind when people say that anime is bad if it doesn't have copious amounts of adaptations of material they've read or sequels to shows they watched years back. There's a tunnel vision that can be especially strong among anime fans, which can lead to deserving anime being neglected and forgotten about. That's what I'm concerned about.

And while I don't think it's unproductive to try to educate people who don't do as much in-depth research as I do (which I certainly don't expect most people to care to do), I will say that it's unproductive to do the whole season comparison thing that happens constantly, and I do try to not let it bother me too much.

Are you one of those people that dislike gAGE?

He's a sane person who knows to stay the hell away from that garbage.

If I do end up watching it, I'll probably end up just repeating what Corvo's been saying about it for years regardless!

That is to say, HITLER GUNDAM.

...Or not. Seriously, don't do watch it man. You'll just end up hating yourself for wasting your time.

As someone who still reads the Attack on Titan manga I dislike everyone in the cast besides Erwin and Levi. I'm also disappointed that Ikoma's character didn't go in the direction I thought it would, where he would save and fight out of spite.

duckroll

As someone who still reads the Attack on Titan manga I dislike everyone in the cast besides Erwin and Levi. I'm also disappointed that Ikoma's character didn't go in the direction I thought it would, where he would save and fight out of spite.

Have they gotten to the basement yet?

duckroll

Wait, is that page real? I've seen it before but I thought it was a photoshop to push the basement gag. Did the author really parody his own shortcomings in his own comic? Jesus.

Narag

Wait, is that page real? I've seen it before but I thought it was a photoshop to push the basement gag. Did the author really parody his own shortcomings in his own comic? Jesus.

obv author insert material at him becoming a victim of his own success and not actually being able to end the story

duckroll

Are there any signs that they will even be making another effort to get to the basement anytime soon? Or has it been completely derailed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom