• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaze

Are there any signs that they will even be making another effort to get to the basement anytime soon? Or has it been completely derailed?

Since this is going into actual details and manga spoilers I'm gonna tag this -

They are close. Very close. They are fighting to retrieve the area where the basement is but they are fighting the Colossal, Armored and Ape Titan at the same time and bullshit like Armored's head being cut off but he sent his consciousness into his nervous system and regenerated keep happening so its taking forever. Eren is about to get a nakama powerup from Armin and the Colossal is slowly burning down because the longer he is in the form and the more steam he expels the faster he loses his muscle mass, he's very skinny now. I'm expecting at least one more twist in this fight though, some new entrant. Probably Ymir or some shit.

You can check the manga spoiler thread for more details or I can just feed you info whenever its relevant. There's like 4 more days until the next chapter!! MAYBE THIS ONE IS IT

Nah

Theonik

This may be a personal hangup, but while I don't mind people who only care about anime when it's an adaptation of material they're familiar with, and I understand why they would focus on that, I do mind when people say that anime is bad if it doesn't have copious amounts of adaptations of material they've read or sequels to shows they watched years back. There's a tunnel vision that can be especially strong among anime fans, which can lead to deserving anime being neglected and forgotten about. That's what I'm concerned about.

And while I don't think it's unproductive to try to educate people who don't do as much in-depth research as I do (which I certainly don't expect most people to care to do), I will say that it's unproductive to do the whole season comparison thing that happens constantly, and I do try to not let it bother me too much.
I mean yes, you hit the nail on the head with regards to the pointlessness of season comparisons yet people will always do this so...

I feel that my decision to stop reading AoT is being validated more with each month.

It's still an enjoyable read and I've been reading it since around late 2011 early 2012 so I ain't stopping now. Although I think my main reason for keeping up with it is because I have to know and man does it always feel close to something happening. It's not as painful as reading Bleach weekly.

I bought into the mysteries but unlike One Piece I have no confidence they will end up being fulfilling.

duckroll

It's still an enjoyable read and I've been reading it since around late 2011 early 2012 so I ain't stopping now. Although I think my main reason for keeping up with it is because I have to know and man does it always feel close to something happening. It's not as painful as reading Bleach weekly.

Well you can't stop reading. If you do I won't have someone to alert me when the basement moment happens!

Okay.
Koutetsujou_08_21.jpg

That's pretty silly.

duckroll

They didn't even explain the existence of that thing either. I guess after the kabane-mech-colony thingy, everything goes.

What's there to explain? We already know that they have the ability to fuse together and eventually form a whole fused colony. This is just a more basic form of the same thing as a mid-boss. The show is bad enough with the character writing, why would you want it to drag itself down even further with pointless exposition explaining obvious stuff?!

Wasn't AOT supposed to end early, but since the series got immensely popular he decided to continue the series.

I mean he did initially thought of having the whole cast die but had a change of plans because it would upset his fans.

It sucks that the author's original idea was thrown away.

phaze

Beyond the Boundary 7-8

There are still a few episodes left, but I think I have a basic understanding of the series now. I'm a bit confused on the hate the show gets. I've seen a lot of hyperbole when people don't like something, but I was prepared for something very bad when I started this.

It has quite a few flaws, undoubtedly so, but I don't really think they're enough to make this extremely bad or not enjoyable. Maybe mediocre, but the animation, the music, the backgrounds and the attention to the details, certainly give it a charm that elevates it to something of greater quality. I guess people expected something better or something different, considering it's more SoL and less "dark" than I thought at first. But nevertheless, I find it very hard to put it on the same category as trash...

The biggest offender on the anime is (still) the humor, which remains unnecessarily off putting most of the time. Maybe this is the thing that turned a lot of people away, and I could actually understand it. Furthermore, the pacing and the characters are kind of terrible. The anime moves quickly, which is actually good for the action and it guarantees that it isn't boring, but there have been plenty of weird emotional transitions. Mirai's relationship with Akihito and especially the siblings progressed really fast, and even though at this point they've grown closer, it felt a bit forced at first. And the whole deal with Sakura, ready to kill Mirai and on the next morning she casually sleeps with her. Maybe they were trying to adapt a lot of volumes, I'm not really sure why this happens.

Anyway, I think I sound a bit negative on the show myself, but I still like quite a few things about it, other than Kyoani's treatment and the action of course. The SoL aspect certainly works on me, and I actually enjoyed the silly stuff with the idols on episode 6 a lot. The atmosphere of the show is great, even though the distinction to what is serious and what is just the characters having fun has been a bit hazy. The direction is pretty good too, despite some decisions that are bothering me.

Oh, and while I'm not really keen on the main cast, the side characters are decent and very intimidating. I love the foreshadowing and the power games that seem to happen between them. And the yomu designs are decent and outworldish, certainly on point. The show is generally very pleasant to watch, as I expected it to be very "edgy". It can still be dark and over the top, but without turning completely ridiculous.

Tl;dr: It's not bad.
Maybe I'm giving it a lot more attention and time than the one it deserves. Maybe I should have watched something better instead of this. But I think it's worth it so far. The posts are getting a bit lengthy though.
How unpleasant!

One of us. One of us. And therearedozensofus.gif

Your confusion mirrors mine, I'm not going to hold it up as some masterpiece (and oh boy, with that ending I wouldn't dare to) but it's a fun and well paced and produced show. Given some of the shounen tripe that gets favourable reception, the reigning consensus puzzles me. (Though I liked the mains too and didn't mind the humour most of the time.) People clearly just can't handle female MC in their battle shows !

That said Sakura arc and the ending is really bad.

And the movie is awful. I'm pretty sure the two former or at least the last one is KyoAni original but yeah ...
-----------------------------------
Do please post after ep 9
00w1scx.png

Wasn't AOT supposed to end early, but since the series got immensely popular he decided to continue the series.

I mean didn't he initially thought of having the whole cast die but decided not to because it would upset his fans.

That all sounds like hearsay. I've learned to not take much of any of that stuff seriously after believing plenty of stuff that turned out to be fake about Toriyama and Dragon Ball's run. Unless you can find an actual legit interview then it's best to ignore it.

I've scoured all of Oda's SBS and interviews so I can at least know what's what about One Piece aside from stuff blocked by the language barrier

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable - 10

I can see why Metroid was hyped for this episode.

Not only were the colours, visuals, sound, and everything else on point for this episode, but the reason it's so good is because
of the way it completely subverts your expectations of what's going to happen.

I'm so used to the routine formula of normal thing turning weird before crazy guy using weird thing tries to kill the crew, so Tonio actually turning out to be a legit good guy with good intentions hilarious. It's especially effective the way the show constantly foreshadows things going wrong as usual with the opening scene and the general suspicious aura of the restaurant.

That and SPAGHETTI PUNCHING.

pbayne

I mean didn't he initially thought of having the whole cast die but decided not to because it would upset his fans.

Probably was extended further than was originally planned. It wouldn't be hard to believe.
Doubt he would seriously kill off all major characters though just because an editor would never allow it for fear of backlash. Reminds me of Kenshin's author admitting he wanted to kill off
Karou
, but got shot down immediately by Jump editors.

JCG

Looking from the outside, I am getting the impression that some people just don't want to see entirely predictable and standardized genre tropes (whether zombie, shounen or otherwise) in their AoT clone show.

Is that correct?

Narag

Looking from the outside, I am getting the impression that some people just don't want to see entirely predictable and standardized genre tropes (whether zombie, shounen or otherwise) in their AoT clone show.

Is that correct?

I imagine people would be fine with them if the execution was there.

JCG

I imagine people would be fine with them if the execution was there.

Fair enough. But, beyond the inevitable drop in animation quality that everyone saw coming (same studio as AoT), several of the reactions read more like a primarily conceptual aversion.

Cornbread78

FMA:B ep.16
So, Major Focker huh? How nice, lol. Pretty strong episode as the boys and Winry finally find out about Colonel Hughes'
death.... "mommy, don't cry"
that hurt.... At least Edward is mature enough to recognize how his actions are affecting everyone around him.

One of us. One of us. And therearedozensofus.gif

Your confusion mirrors mine, I'm not going to hold it up as some masterpiece (and oh boy, with that ending I wouldn't dare to) but it's a fun and well paced and produced show. Given some of the shounen tripe that gets favourable reception, the reigning consensus puzzles me. (Though I liked the mains too and didn't mind the humour most of the time.) People clearly just can't handle female MC in their battle shows !

I mean shounen tripe might still be a tad above the LN trash this is?

Qurupeke

Do please post after ep 9
00w1scx.png
I'll probably post when I'm done with the series, but I watched episode 10 and I don't think I'm prepared for what's coming!

The only person who maybe considers Hyouka OVA to be a high point for the series is firehawk...

Oh, but it's a high point... Just not a high point on the series' quality!

Episode 6 of Beyond the Boundary is similar to it, because both of them feel really "off" compared to the rest of their respective series. It was actually an even bigger shock than Hyouka 11.5 for me.

jgminto

Jojo 10

The worst of Soma and Jojo combined together. Yuck.

I did however very much appreciate the break in the usual pattern of things with Tonio (seemingly) not turning out hostile.

But can someone finally murder Okuyasu dead. Painfully please.

Now to rewatch #9 and reassure myself it was indeed as stupid as it seemed to me on the first watch.
This is a SliceSaber tier opinion.

zulux21

What"s Anime-GAF's view on No Game No Life? It seems pretty divisive from what I've gathered.

it was my AOTY the year it came out.

also I see you watched the first episode and found it promising.
really you should overall enjoy it though. the people saying it didn't get to a good stopping point baffle me.

ignore the last 3 minutes that set up for future stuff (that was merely added to the anime for a possible second season and to get people to go out and buy books) and it's a fine stopping point... to the point where in the books (very very minor spoiler)
they just go off on a random adventure because they earned a break.

I mean I really don't know what people would consider a good stopping point, as it ends at a (very very generic minor spoiler)
major milestone and natural break point.

Line_HTX

Netoge 09

"Would you mind being a little less assertive?"

This is one hell of a sleepover episode, lol and at the very end...

"Huh?" staring at PLOT.

Just T

Ushio and Tora: 36

Well done Hyou.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable: 10

Saw this episode being hyped up for a while now; Why exactly? Haven't the slightest clue but it was straight, that ending though.

Kabaneri 8

Any positive the show got before has been slowly going down. Mumei's character keeps getting worst and worst, and this new set of characters introduced this late in the game? Ugh.

Taruranto

^I really like Kabaneri MC (He was a tad obnoxious in this last episode, though) and supporting cast (Mumei aside) though.

Even Ayame felt like what Sunrise tried to do with Kudelia but failed.

Must be the lack of romance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom