• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pooya

lost 10

that was like 3 seasons of lost in 20 minutes, very impressive how compact this is lol and so shameless. Why Mizushima directed this pos, he had a good run...

Grexeno

Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto 08

LT95NfF.png

I must go, my people need me.

Deadly

Asterisk 22
So much foreshadowing for what's next this episode... I hope it gets another season someday.
Yay! Another tankery fan!

The short OVAs which came with the home video releases aren't really necessary and aside from the last one (which is a celebration party post-series) they aren't very good. The longer OVA is the Anzio battle they skipped in the middle of the series and it's well worth watching.

Ended up watching them anyways. Yeah they didn't add much :(. I'll check out the Anzio one next and then on to the movie!

kewlmyc

About the new KIZNAIVER episode, I've never watched an episode of anything that made my favorite character become my one of my least favorite character in the span of 22 minutes. Fuck Tenga, he's a hypocrite who's overprotective of Chidori (not Kacchon's fault that she has a nervous breakdown every time he interacts with Sonozaki) and is also a hypocrite as pointed out by Yuta. Plus, I got the feeling he was just beating Kacchon up out of jealously by the end of it. Hope he can bounce back because he's now my second least favorite character. Still better than Chidori though.

duckroll

About the new KIZNAIVER episode, I've never watched an episode of anything that made my favorite character become my one of my least favorite character in the span of 22 minutes. Fuck Tenga, he's a hypocrite who's overprotective of Chidori (not Kacchon's fault that she has a nervous breakdown every time he interacts with Sonozaki) and is also a hypocrite as pointed out by Yuta. Plus, I got the feeling he was just beating Kacchon up out of jealously by the end of it. Hope he can bounce back because he's now my second least favorite character. Still better than Chidori though.

Kiznaiver is impressive because it has a gimmick premise for the purpose of generating character drama, but it actually follows through on all the rules, expectations, and consequences of that gimmick, owning it as a unique narrative point rather than just flavoring. The natural assumption given the premise of a group of people being connected emotionally by force, would be that eventually they start to hate each other because being too close to a person can reveal things which are distasteful, even if the person seems nice and friendly on the surface. Not only have they followed through with that in the character relations, but the same holds true for how the audience perceives the characters. The more we know about them, the less there is to like about them.

zulux21

That tends to be the case with a lot of anime; the company that makes the dub and subtitles often don't own those, and they end up belonging to the Japanese company that owns the international rights. That's why many re-releases of anime by different companies will end up having the same dub as the original release, since the previous company that released it doesn't own it.

Of course, there are some older anime where the company that released the anime overseas owns the dub. Since a lot of these companies don't exist anymore, it can be a bit difficult to figure out what company currently has the rights to what. What makes it more complicated is that sometimes a company that ended up with a defunct company's assets may not even realize they have the rights to an English dub of something so obscure. I've heard rumors that some modern day anime companies (like Discotek) just choose to ignore this and release their version with certain dubs without properly having the rights to do so, since nobody seems to notice or care. Not sure if that's true or not, though.

it was mentioned that it could have been possible to own the dub and would have then required tv tokyo to license it from them, but when all was said and done it would be about a wash and wasn't worth the extra risk.

aka something like.

could retain rights to the dub for an extra 15k.
when getting released in other regions they would likely be offered 10-20k for the dub to license it from them making it about equal, or if they skipped the dub they would just be out the money.

they didn't give out the exact details but that is how they made it sound. either way I am just happy EU will have a chance to own the series with a quality dub as well.

Kiznaiver is impressive because it has a gimmick premise for the purpose of generating character drama, but it actually follows through on all the rules, expectations, and consequences of that gimmick, owning it as a unique narrative point rather than just flavoring. The natural assumption given the premise of a group of people being connected emotionally by force, would be that eventually they start to hate each other because being too close to a person can reveal things which are distasteful, even if the person seems nice and friendly on the surface. Not only have they followed through with that in the character relations, but the same holds true for how the audience perceives the characters. The more we know about them, the less there is to like about them.

Interesting.

This reminds me of Kino's Journey's first episode, where Kino visits this country where an experiment happened that allowed the people there to hear each other's thoughts, thinking that they'd be able to understand each other better because of it and end pain entirely, only for the opposite to end up happening with everybody driving themselves away from each other due to feeling everyone's thoughts and inner pain, causing everyone in the country to live in seclusion.

Maybe I'll check out Kiznaiver.

kewlmyc

Interesting.

This reminds me of Kino's Journey's first episode, where Kino visits this country where an experiment happened that allowed the people there to hear each other's thoughts, thinking that they'd be able to understand each other better because of it and end pain entirely, only for the opposite to end up happening with everybody driving themselves away from each other due to feeling everyone's thoughts and inner pain, causing everyone in the country to live in seclusion.

Maybe I'll check out Kiznaiver.

You should. In the running if not the winner of best anime of the season.

Gundam Build Fighters 21

It bothers me a little how everything with the Build Strike is now coming down to the Build Knuckle, and the repeated strategy of "we'll punch our opponent until they break down under our love of Gunpla Battle" is a bit tiresome. Still, the drama with Aila this episode was pretty well handled.

Narag

Ace Attorney 9

Ep wasn't handled as well as it could have been but nowhere near as poorly as it might've been going by the first eps of the show. I've been enjoying the sight gags I normally wouldn't since it gives the show character it's been lacking.

Qurupeke

Yeah, Tenga is the worst. Seemed so selfish. The most painful scenes weren't the ones with Chidori, but Nico's. I really didn't expect that and it certainly hit hard. And Tenga kept his focus on Chidori despite all that... Just the worst!!!

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Space Patrol Luluco Season 4 ep.1
Digging the new opening.
Alpha Omega Nova: Hail Blackholeian

Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou 8

This show soundtrack rulez.

Aki-at

Kiznaiver - 9

And now I've learnt how to say "It hurts" in Japanese!

I wonder how next they'll break Chidori into a million pieces, I can only imagine they'll hack the radio waves at one point when Nori and MC are out talking about their date.

Diamond is Unbreakable - 10

This episode was amazing, especially the last bit with the soap. I kept thinking
Tonio was a good guy but the episode did really well to sell me on the misdirection.

FullMetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - 13

I think I preferred the original fight vs Greed, but that might be nostelgia distorting my memory.

Kiznaiver Episode 9:

Take this lesson to heart, shipping ruins everything. Also, I reiterate is seems like Trigger is rebelling against the very concept of love now.

Shipping will heal them.

Kiznaiver 09

tumblr_o89bxnRubU1qcsnnso1_540.gif

Finally Tenga. This episode was amazing. They are finally getting to see what each of them really feels and consequently know them better.

What Nori did to Nico was savage and while Yuta did have a bit of a point with Tenga the situation is not the same. Yes Tenga is not the selfless person he seemed to be and he can act selfish for Chidori, but he's not like Katsuhira at all. Tenga did not know about Nico's affection for him, even the show kept it subtle at best, and when he found his final stance was what to say to her. Compare this to Katsuhira, who Chidori was been affectionate with for years and explicitly laid out her feelings for him and yet he continues to act like nothing has happened and doesn't even give a response. Although, Katsuhira does have an emotion problem which seems to only fade with Nori.

phaze

Kiznaiver 09
There's something inherently comical about about a neat line of 3/4 people getting their romantic feelings ignored while at the same time ignoring the ones directed at them and it's unfortunately stopping me from being able to fully embrace, sympathize and care for their predicament no matter how good the execution of that concept was. Fortunately it was still fairly restrained until the last third of the ep. The OST was once again superb.

Also wow at how cold blooded Sonozaki was.

Narag

Ace Attorney 10

Serviceable. Could have been better if the "back from the dead" moments where Naruhodo had another chance when all seemed lost was handled better.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I feel like the ending of Kiznaiver's episode as the brutal end of a shipping war is just hilarious.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Diamond is unbreakable 10
I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS.
I love the direction of this episode to make Tonio looks 'MENACING' when he really is just a good chef who want to serve healthy and delicious food. Though i imagine cleaning his restaurant will be a pain in the ass. guts and blood literally spilling out.

kewlmyc

Shipping will heal them.

Kiznaiver 09

Finally Tenga. This episode was amazing. They are finally getting to see what each of them really feels and consequently know them better.

What Nori did to Nico was savage and while Yuta did have a bit of a point with Tenga the situation is not the same. Yes Tenga is not the selfless person he seemed to be and he can act selfish for Chidori, but he's not like Katsuhira at all. Tenga did not know about Nico's affection for him, even the show kept it subtle at best, and when he found his final stance was what to say to her. Compare this to Katsuhira, who Chidori was been affectionate with for years and explicitly laid out her feelings for him and yet he continues to act like nothing has happened and doesn't even give a response. Although, Katsuhira does have an emotion problem which seems to only fade with Nori.

When Katsuhira asked about Chidori's feelings back in like episode 2, she responded that she used to like him, key word being used, and reset their relationship back to status quo for them. So to Katsuhira, she's a close friend that used to have a crush on him. Everything up until episode 8 could be seen as her just being close friends with him, especially due to his "lack of emotions" making him you standard oblivious MC. Yeah, she confessed last episode, and it was a dick move to leave in the middle of it, but he didn't hear any of it and was completely unaware of what she was saying due to him having epiphany about his past at that moment. Not saying that Katsuhira isn't partially guilty (running away when he was asked to protect Chidori), but I feel Tenga was totally in the wrong this episode and that the situation between him and Nico is more alike than you think. Both are boys who are interested in someone else and are not sure what to do when a girl that currently has romantic feelings for them (unbeknownst to them) runs away in tears. He forced Katsuhira, who isn't in the best emotional state himself at that moment, to chase after Chidori without knowing what to do, but when it's Tenga's turn to do the same, he doesn't do it.

When Katsuhira asked about Chidori's feelings back in like episode 2, she responded that she used to like him, key word being used, and reset their relationship back to status quo for them. So to Katsuhira, she's a close friend that used to have a crush on him. Everything up until episode 8 could be seen as her just being close friends with him, especially due to his "lack of emotions" making him you standard oblivious MC. Yeah, she confessed last episode, and it was a dick move to leave in the middle of it, but he didn't hear any of it and was completely unaware of what she was saying due to him having epiphany about his past at that moment. Not saying that Katsuhira isn't partially guilty (running away when he was asked to protect Chidori), but I feel Tenga was totally in the wrong this episode and that the situation between him and Nico is more alike than you think. Both are boys who are interested in someone else and are not sure what to do when a girl that currently has romantic feelings for them (unbeknownst to them) runs away in tears. He forced Katsuhira, who isn't in the best emotional state himself at that moment, to chase after Chidori without knowing what to do, but when it's Tenga's turn to do the same, he doesn't do it.

But Tenga was at least wondering how to respond to Nico.
Katsuhira is guilty for being ignorant/indecisive. He holds Chidori only when hearing what she wants, a near meaningless hug unlike his one with Nori.
Tenga is guilty for being selfish and too forceful. You can't force Katsuhira to be with Chidori and beating him to the ground was excessive.
Chidori is guilty for being selfish for not being able to accept Katsuhira's connection with Nori.
Nori right now seems bluntly manipulative but I wonder what she is planning.
Nico is the only one who I thought was shown positively (the other three didn't have much of a role).

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
They explained exactly why Tenga beat the shit out of Katsuhira though (same as in the first couple of episodes); Katsuhira's lack of emotion makes it impossible empathize or relate to him, which causes super negative reactions. The fact that he basically didn't give a fuck about a thing Tenga REALLY cared about kind of naturally led to him reacting that way.

Qurupeke

They explained exactly why Tenga beat the shit out of Katsuhira though. Nobody can empathize with Katsuhira's complete lack of emotion, so they tend to react very negatively to him. The fact he did it to something Tenga felt strongly about didn't help.

We can all agree that both of them are complete shit.

Tanaka-kun 9

A strong showing for WcDonalds. I love that the cashier just assumed Tanaka would drop his order and she'd have to clean it up. How are there this many ways to exploit Tanaka's lethargy for humour.

Also, anyone disappointed by the lack of Miyano in this ep should check out this week's twitter anime, which is about Tanaka not responding to her texts.

Clov

it was mentioned that it could have been possible to own the dub and would have then required tv tokyo to license it from them, but when all was said and done it would be about a wash and wasn't worth the extra risk.

aka something like.

could retain rights to the dub for an extra 15k.
when getting released in other regions they would likely be offered 10-20k for the dub to license it from them making it about equal, or if they skipped the dub they would just be out the money.

they didn't give out the exact details but that is how they made it sound. either way I am just happy EU will have a chance to own the series with a quality dub as well.

Interesting! Wasn't aware that was even an option. Seems like a lot of companies over here must pass on it, though.

phaze

Tanaka-kun is Always Listlesss 09
That look from Ohta for the the tile card and beginning of the OP was just priceless
fsexuxzk8stz.gif

I feel like I might be repeating myself but this has really grown on me to an extent I absolutely would not expect considering I nearly dropped it after first two eps. And Ohta's sister looks like yet another good addition to the cast.

One thing that slightly bothers me is Rin's obsession on the point of her brother, which, while fairly restrained and used for humor only still feels a bit out of place for a show like this. But maybe it's just my trauma from having seen too many stories where that angle was plain disturbing.

jman2050

Kiznaiver 09

Man is this entire project set up just to ether Chidori at every opportunity? Did she anger Hera in a past life?

How this is written by the same person who writes Maiyoga is beyond me. Wtf is Okada.

Okada is like a strong Vodka. Good in moderation and even mixed with other things, but too much of it can rot your liverbrain. But then some people like that sort of thing.

Incidentally, watching BRS TV is like downing an entire bottle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom