• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line_HTX

Okada is like a strong Vodka. Good in moderation and even mixed with other things, but too much of it can rot your liverbrain. But then some people like that sort of thing.

Incidentally, watching BRS TV is like downing an entire bottle.

No way... It can't be that bad, can it??

Just T

Kiznaiver: 9

Alright so they all know Katsuhira is going through some shit at the moment with his past coming up and that he isn't emotionally all together so why act like all he doing is wrong. It's like they don't really care what he's feeling and why he's feeling it. They should have just stayed their ass in the classroom while the story finished but alas the rest of the events couldn't play out.

Which led to Tenga being a little bitch this episode, for whatever reason he likes Chidori it was obvious, that doesn't mean he gotta act so impulsively, just chill out for a second. Then being hypocritical when it comes to Nico and he in the spotlight. When Yuta pointed it out it should have clicked but instead he goes out to pummel Katsuhira because his feelings are in disarray, fuck outta here.

Chidori need to just take her L gracefully, go cut her hair or something then move on, let it go. As for Nico, it's sad to see her like that she tried to handle it the best she could though but the episode just wasn't having that. I'm getting more interested in Noriko as it goes along, Katsuhira is getting some feeling back but I wonder what's going on inside her head with her emotions but it was nice to get more of that backstory between the two.

Ah, during that last scene with Maki couldn't help but picture Yuta thinking: "Things were starting to go so well for me until you guys fucked it up."

So yeah this was a pretty good episode, at this point I still don't like Chidori. Don't really like Tenga either. The others are cool though but I wonder what they're going to do with Hisomu.

Tenga is just terrible at dealing with Katsuhira. Since Katsuhira shows little to no emotion I think that just makes Tenga even angrier, even without the romantic aspect.

Line_HTX

And yet Katsuhira still can't feel any pain while everyone else is lying on the ground.

I'm almost hoping that Tenga go punch Yamada-sensei and give him a derpy face like Urushibara-sensei did when she kicked him below the belt.

Deadly

Girls und Panzer der FILM
Oh man this was so goooood. Movie format allowed the battles to be even better than in the TV series. There has to be more eventually....right?!?! Pro League? World Tournament? University? I guess it would get redundant.. but still I want moaaaar :(

Chi-Ha Tan Academy was so... uuuuugh. I know their whole shtick is comic relief but man they were just fail after fail. The concept of Boko is so wack too :lol

Girls und Panzer der FILM
Oh man this was so goooood. Movie format allowed the battles to be even better than in the TV series. There has to be more eventually....right?!?! Pro League? World Tournament? University? I guess it would get redundant.. but still I want moaaaar :(

Chi-Ha Tan Academy was so... uuuuugh. I know their whole shtick is comic relief but man they were just fail after fail. The concept of Boko is so wack too :lol

The film did set up the idea of preparing a Japanese pro team to send to the World Tournament, and I could easily see a continuation picking up on that (though they'd need something more to sell that concept since they already used national-themed schools for the TV series). With how massively successful the film has been, I can't believe the producers will let the franchise rest here.

T-Rex.

Banned
School Days
ZiG6evj.jpg
My first ever watch bet. My last ever watch bet. I dunno who I hate more: my friend for recommend this abomination to me, or myself for watching it through until the end. I knew it was pretty infamous on here but it was even worse than I was expecting. I'm going to rewatch Carnival Phantasm because I need some eye/mind bleach after that.

School Days

My first ever watch bet. My last ever watch bet. I dunno who I hate more: my friend for recommend this abomination to me, or myself for watching it through until the end. I knew it was pretty infamous on here but it was even worse than I was expecting. I'm going to rewatch Carnival Phantasm because I need some eye/mind bleach after that.

Well, if you already knew about it, then you only got yourself to blame.

Girls Und Panzer 1-7

I have so many questions. So this is a society where aircraft carriers are built solely to house all-female schools, nobody minds property destruction, and it's totally okay to just LOSE TRACK of half a dozen tanks. One of them is found inside a storage room deep in the bowels of a ship when there's no way it could've possibly fit in the ships corridors. I can only surmise they built the ship around the tank, which further begs the question how they got the tank out of the ship.

I expected the main character's traumatic backstory to be losing an important match or something, but evidently her family's upset because she lost a tank battle to save the life of her teammate? I mean, really? This is the worst anime family since Evangelion. Why even have tank battles over large bodies of water and rickety bridges for that matter? Not to mention how often people just poke their bodies out of the tank.

Jintor

Girls Und Panzer 1-7
One of them is found inside a storage room deep in the bowels of a ship when there's no way it could've possibly fit in the ships corridors. I can only surmise they built the ship around the tank, which further begs the question how they got the tank out of the ship.

haven't you ever had a class assemble a car on the roof of a building or some shit? probably just a grad day prank.

As for the rest of it... uh... LOOK A PANZER *volleys smoke grenade, leaves*

(You really do have to get used to the fact that explosions are apparently all for show because they absolutely do not stop sticking their heads out of tanks)

I gotta say this last episode made me actually for once feel for Katsuhira and once again I say, the episode itself was fucking outstanding.

The guy always was this empty shell, that we weren't quite sure about at the start. As time went on we
came to know it was all due to this trauma he had gone through, the previous Kiznaiver effect.
We literally
saw him cry.
It was so damn powerful. For once we see him in a
moment of weakness, as he both holds Sonozaki in his arms and his previous Kiznaiver scar pulsates in his chest.
We NEVER saw that from his character, it almost shocked me when it happened. The way it happened to was so damned emotional, and you just can't help but feel for the guy. Then comes Tenga, which literally was only beating him up because of how in love Chidori is with Katsuhira, grouped up with every other character crumbling emotionally, almost as if it were to be a domino effect.

Kiznaiver is going
to shit yet again all around Katsuhira, but the feeling he had when he was remembering his past, holding Sonozaki just wasn't there.
All there was in his head was confusion, frustration.

I cannot wait to see what happens next week after this episode.
They are surely going to disband aren't they.

Flying Witch 09

The Return of The Mandrake is going to be glorious.

I wish Aniplex would give us a BD release of God Eater. Dont care much for Asterisk Wars, Erased, or Charlotte to buy them.

Their Asterisk Wars does come with the CD though "Soundtrack Remix CD “The Asterisk War Infusion Mix #1” By Composer Rasmus Faber" which I kind of at least want.

Thoraxes

I wish Aniplex would give us a BD release of God Eater. Dont care much for Asterisk Wars, Erased, or Charlotte to buy them.

Their Asterisk Wars does come with the CD though "Soundtrack Remix CD “The Asterisk War Infusion Mix #1” By Composer Rasmus Faber" which I kind of at least want.

This is super good news for me. I really liked Asterisk War so i'll definitely be picking up the BDs (def. the limited editions)! I don't really care about a dub or anything, but it's good for the people that want that.

And some bonus Rasmus Faber music is always a good thing in my book!

And they announced Erased BDs too? I gotta get those as well. Now if they could just announce a Kizu BD release...

Mailbox

Wait...what if Kiznaiver really is just one cour, and it ends with everyone not being friends?...

giphy.gif

If that actually happens, I'll applaud. That is the kind of thing that no one wants to make. Because why would anyone watch people crumble in their relationships? I doubt that would happen though, but if it does... man. Idk... Maybe Trigger will have the balls to do it.

Maybe.

Thoraxes

Kiznaiver - 09

Holy shit at the end I got really uncomfortable. Haven't seen anything go to utter shit (situationally) like that in an episode in a long time.

I don't even know where you go from here.

Haifuri - 09

Abe-sama~

Raxus

Someone needs to make a Gif with all the characters of Kisnaver in Clerks 2 with Chidori saying fuck you to everyone but Nico 'You're cool' Nico: *Thumbs Up*

Someone needs to make a Gif with all the characters of Kisnaver in Clerks 2 with Chidori saying fuck you to everyone but Nico 'You're cool' Nico: *Thumbs Up*

Isn't that Half-baked? I hope so or I've been quoting the wrong movie for years

More on topic for this thread, I've been rewatching Escaflowne. This is the first time Ive watched it all the way through since around 1998. It still holds up pretty well, and I love what they do with the music. Some parts of the music really give me a Ghost in the Shell vibe for some reason.

If that actually happens, I'll applaud. That is the kind of thing that no one wants to make. Because why would anyone watch people crumble in their relationships? I doubt that would happen though, but if it does... man. Idk... Maybe Trigger will have the balls to do it.

Maybe.

The philosophy behind Kiznaiver doesn't strike me as nihilistic enough to go for a straight-up bad end for everyone. I imagine it'll try to create some kind of emotional reconciliation for the characters, though it may end up a bittersweet one.

I thought it was one cour, this felt like the setup for the climax.

Yeah, you only pull off this kind of stuff when you're preparing for the grand finale. There's plenty of time in the remaining 3 episodes to reach a resolution.

Man fuck that episode of Kiznaiver. Way too painful to watch unfold even when what happened was expected. Outstanding direction was shown in this episode too. Definitely my anime of the season for now.

Clov

From what I recently heard, the rights to Eva TV are about as hard to license as the rights to Macross.

Woah, seriously? I can understand a high license fee and a long holdback period for NGE BDs, but surely the series can't be in the same sort of legal minefield as Macross.

I'd absolutely love that.

The moral of the story, don't hook up people with mind reading abilities kids or you'll end up hating your friends.

But were they really ever friends?

This point of the whole show if the characters unwillingly opening themselves up to other people. It's breaking down boundaries that even friends might not break. I think them being connected actually prevents them from having any form of friendship.

SkyOdin

Kiznaiver - 09

Holy shit at the end I got really uncomfortable. Haven't seen anything go to utter shit (situationally) like that in an episode in a long time.

I don't even know where you go from here.

They'll go watch some movies or eat ice cream or something, let their heads cool and start talking to each other again. What happened in Kiznaiver was just the dramatic blow up of emotions. It happens among friends. It was a case where you are angry and frustrated with someone, but seeing that person get hurt hurts you in turn. It is a miserable cycle of emotions, but it ends. After that, you patch things up and return to normal. I've been there, more times than I like, really. That is why that scene felt so genuine to me.

Even the ending of the episode showed the beginnings of the healing. The rain was gone, the sky was blue, and the storm had passed. There were still lying miserable in the puddles, and they had exhausted themselves, but the suffering had passed. All they need to do is just pick themselves back up and reach out to each other again.

Cornbread78

Kiznaiver ep.9
Holy fuck balls it hurts.. Pretty intense ending, but at least everything (their feelings) is out in the open now. I still want to know why Katsuhira is an empty she'll still and I'm guessing that is what the last couple episodes has to focus on; making him whole again as Sono promised to him as a child. Oh and that kick to sensei's jewels was great and she is right, they are all extremely broken at this point, but let's see if they can fix it now that "the rains gone"

Kansoku

Between the actually really fucking good Kiznaiver and the totally insane and bad (but highly entertaining) Mayoiga, Okada sure is winning my heart this season.

Clov

What I'm referring to is this tweet.

Ah, I see. I can imagine since the BDs are relatively recent for NGE (and due to its massive popularity) it's not an easy pick-up. It's something that I'm certain will come over eventually though; it's too popular of a property in the West as well to not make it over here. It will just take a while. I don't really think it's a Macross situation, where immense legal difficulties are discouraging any attempts at bringing it over again.

School Days

I warned people. This was when I learned that AnimeGAF had a dark side and that The List wasn't exclusive to good anime...

JulianImp

This point of the whole show if the characters unwillingly opening themselves up to other people. It's breaking down boundaries that even friends might not break. I think them being connected actually prevents them from having any form of friendship.

Yup. It's just like how Kokoro Connect had its cast forcibly open up to each other, only Kiznaiver's doing it for all characters at once in one big awful moment for them all rather than calling one or two characters out per arc like Kokoro Connect did.

It's definitely one of the best shows that have come out this year so far, but I still think I liked Kokoro Connect more because that had love as one of the facets the characters had to explore, and each character got a whole arc to do that while Kiznaiver has to fit everything into a single cour, so for example Maki's issues were presented and that plot thread got tied up (for the most part) within a single episode, and with the remaining episode count I don't think we'll get to see everyone else get explored in the same way.

Given these constraints, I understand that the show using a love dodecahedron and focusing mostly on Katsuhira's background are both acceptable, but I think I'd actually have liked it more if unrequited love wasn't as much of a focus and the plot would've also tackled each character's issues and insecurities more thoroughly.

I warned people. This was when I learned that AnimeGAF had a dark side and that The List wasn't exclusive to good anime...

I agree that it was awful, but I kind of enjoy thinking it was created by someone making a wish to a monkey's paw asking for a harem anime where the MC actually hooked up with girls unlike most wimpy harem protags.

Expanding upon this, it's funny how much of a selfish jerk every single character is and how convoluted lies get even a couple episodes into it. The source material isn't any better though (it being an eroge and all), with every single route relying on everyone betraying each other in the most idiotic of ways and creating awful, sick relationships between Makoto and the girls (self-destructive manipulative Sekai, self-deluded yandere Katsura, Sekai's best friend who still makes a move on the MC, and that childhood friend of Makoto's who constantly bullies Katsura for the lulz).

Thoraxes

They'll go watch some movies or eat ice cream or something, let their heads cool and start talking to each other again. What happened in Kiznaiver was just the dramatic blow up of emotions. It happens among friends. It was a case where you are angry and frustrated with someone, but seeing that person get hurt hurts you in turn. It is a miserable cycle of emotions, but it ends. After that, you patch things up and return to normal. I've been there, more times than I like, really. That is why that scene felt so genuine to me.

Even the ending of the episode showed the beginnings of the healing. The rain was gone, the sky was blue, and the storm had passed. There were still lying miserable in the puddles, and they had exhausted themselves, but the suffering had passed. All they need to do is just pick themselves back up and reach out to each other again.

I've had different experiences burning my own bridges at that age, heh. I just wonder which people are going to approach which first.

Jarmel

Banned
Fafner 10

Aside from the obligatory purple prose at the end, this episode was notably better executed than the series has been up to now, in both writing and direction. It handled character drama surrounding Kazuki and thematic exploration of this cage of an island fairly well, integrated a heretofore absent sense of humor smoothly, and even had a few interesting visual ideas, particularly in the stark style of Kazuki's flashbacks. Since Ubukata hasn't come on board yet, I'm not sure if there's a reason I can ascribe this change to, aside from noting that the episode was storyboarded and directed by Akihiro Enomoto, chief director on Yamato 2199.

The first 'half' ends ok, even before the Ubukata switch the show gets better. Again I'm not saying it necessarily gets good but it does feel a bit more cohesive and put together. I'm looking forward to your opinions as to the second half as for me it felt like the show found a voice and came together as a work.

Kiznaiver: 9
Ah, during that last scene with Maki couldn't help but picture Yuta thinking: "Things were starting to go so well for me until you guys fucked it up."

"Just when I was about to get laid. Goddamnit."

Aki-at

Shiki - END

Everything burns. Mindless horror that kept me busy doing the ironing. In the end the show conveniently forgot the vampires superpowers and everyone turned out to be idiots or assholes,
especially the monk.
5/10

Even with my friends I'm sure we'd end up hating them if every little minor thought got exposed or shared with me!

But no I wouldn't have classed these guys as friends... more like "work" buddies if nothing else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom