• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly really liked the Chairman.

With so many Gundam shows having self-righteous, super-serious, boring bad guys, it felt so refreshing to see one be so incompetent and whiny for once. With his assistant basically babying him I thought they added to the show's charm.

I also feel that GBF sort of earns its shounen escalation stuff as well, with how good it handles everything to get to that point.

Refreshing? Theres numerous kids anime with that same sort of antagonist so I dont think its refreshing.

Yea there are problems with the tournament arc due to the rigging. It's pretty bullshit that they hyped up that fight and then kicked out the floor underneath the viewer. It's like poisoning the lead before the final battle. It's a bullshit way of ratcheting up the tension but it comes across as hollow.

Yep. The 2nd half of GBF is written like a poorly booked wrestling storyline. The build up is great and then they never give the audience the fight they want to see and never give them a clean match.

My Hero Academia 10

Really enjoyed this episode. The way they animate Midoriya's destroyed appendages flopping/swinging after he uses his power never fails to disgust/crack me up.

Tuck

Kiznaiver - 9
Its a shipping show where everyone loses. This episode was so fucking good. The music, the direction, it really kept be engaged.

I'm not usually a fan of melodrama, yet for some reason it works here. I do think the show has lost some of its earlier sublty, which i figured would happen, but is a bit disappointing. But seeing how this is all coming together is great.

Ok Trigger, don't fuck this up. This is AOTS/AOTY material so far, and you're so close to the finish line.

Syrinx

Flying Witch 9

I'm not sure if this is a criticism of the show so much as my personal taste in this kind of show, but Flying Witch spends entirely too much time in Kei's house and backyard.

phaze

I forgot to mention it, but Beyond the Boundary has its own dramatic namedrop moment, which is actually very similar to "You know, Ellie, we really are The Last of Us.".

I had no idea that the second movie was a continuation. And apparently there's an ONA series or something too.

And it's not us who are wrong about the series, it's everyone else!

Even if you end up not liking the show, episode 6 is a must watch!

Prequel OVA is alright.

The movie is the most unbearable love story since Eureka 7, a terrible retread of certain plotlines from the show proper and at the same time a horrendous end to the plotlines they left unresolved by borking the TV ending, so that they'd have something to do in this one. Still very pretty and well directed but abomination nonetheless. I guess you could say I feel about the movie like most probably do about the show proper.
I see, yet another tragic watchbet.

Is this what you wanted phaze & Qurupeke? Are you happy it has come this far?

largex5uz0.gif

Nah I regret nothing.

Kiznaiver - 9
Its a shipping show where everyone loses. This episode was so fucking good. The music, the direction, it really kept be engaged.

I'm not usually a fan of melodrama, yet for some reason it works here. I do think the show has lost some of its earlier sublty, which i figured would happen, but is a bit disappointing. But seeing how this is all coming together is great.

Ok Trigger, don't fuck this up. This is AOTS/AOTY material so far, and you're so close to the finish line.

There's 3 more episodes right? I thought we would learn more about Tenga and Nico's background but I'm not so sure anymore.

Sölf

Why are the Hero Academia cliffhanger always so evil?! D:
I really wanted to wait for this season to end before I switch to the manga, but god, it's so good.

The movie is the most unbearable love story since Eureka 7, a terrible retread of certain plotlines from the show proper and at the same time a horrendous end to the plotlines they left unresolved by borking the TV endin,g so that they'd have something to do in this still very pretty and well directed but abomination nonetheless. I guess you could say I feel about the movie like most probably do about the show proper.

So the movie's good then, gotcha.

Hopefully we also learn more about purple guy, cause he's done jack shit so far.

I hate how this post immediately made me think about Five Nights at Freddy's.

Eumi

Hopefully we also learn more about purple guy, cause he's done jack shit so far.

I dunno, he hasn't done much, but he's often been a voice of reason that other characters couldn't be. He's kind of the only person who really has a handle on things. I'm not sure it's enough to justify his character, but I can definitely see why he's there.

Smh people watching KnK instead of watching the much superior KyoAni show Hyouka. And I know there are a few of you here that haven't yet, I'm keeping a
black
list of you all stored in my brain.

Cornbread78

Asterisk ep.22
I think this is one of the more blatant "go read the LN" fuck you's I'very come across in awhile. With only two episodes left, they introduce a while new world environment and brand new characters, but have yet to even cone close to finishing anything about Ayato's sister. With no S3 hinted at in the slightest, this was a big FU move from them.

Asterisk ep.22
I think this is one of the more blatant "go read the LN" fuck you's I'very come across in awhile. With only two episodes left, they introduce a while new world environment and brand new characters, but have yet to even cone close to finishing anything about Ayato's sister. With no S3 hinted at in the slightest, this was a big FU move from them.
I'd be shocked if this didn't get a third season. For SOME reason, this show is super popular. Heck the west may be getting the Vita game and all.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Boku no Hero Academia Episode 10:

So at last we have some actual villains attacking and the result is a lot less interesting then it should be. Mainly because most of the enemy here are so generic they didn't even bother to name most. Also, the reason something seems off about this plan is because in spite of its meticulousness it is rather sloppy and arrogant all things considered. On the bright side Frog Girl finally gets a chance to actually shine and show why people actually like her. On the other hand, the person who said we needed to get to know the lecherous purple baby who is just the absolute worst character show thus far needs to be fired.

Ascheroth

Asterisk ep.22

I mean at this point you should probably know already that if you value conclusions to stories, watching LN adaptions isn't the best of ideas (most of the time).

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Smh people watching KnK instead of watching the much superior KyoAni show Hyouka. And I know there are a few of you here that haven't yet, I'm keeping a
black
list of you all stored in my brain.

I thought Hyokua was overrated a fuck but I can still get behind this because seriously Beyond the Boundary was just a pile of the usual shitty LN tropes in a much brighter package.

Cornbread78

I mean at this point you should probably know already that if you value conclusions to stories, watching LN adaptions isn't the best of ideas (most of the time).

Ph, I get it, but they aren't even TRYING, lol.

I'd be shocked if this didn't get a third season. For SOME reason, this show is super popular. Heck the west may be getting the Vita game and all.

Yeah, I saw the Vita announcement, but nothing about the anime continuing

Deadly

Very nice to hear! The show is actually good. Sure there's still the harem elements but the story can be extremely intriguing as the world-building was done very well.

Although, there's only 10 volumes out so far and it seems that this season will end in the middle of volume 6. They could do at least 1 season as of now.

But as much as I enjoy this, I hope A-1 does the rest of GATE first. I mean that's already a completed series!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I thought the world collectively dropped The Ass War once the likes of The Big Order and Hundred started airing.

I thought Hyokua was overrated a fuck but I can still get behind this because seriously Beyond the Boundary was just a pile of the usual shitty LN tropes in a much brighter package.

I remember being so stoked when it got announced, coming from Hyouka. All I got was a pile of glasses fetishism and bloody edginess. Not what I was expecting or wanting at all from their next work.

This show is popular? I had no idea. It's not selling well at all in Japan.

Go to any anime website, even crunchyroll and all you see is this show being pushed to hell and back. Go see how happy people got when the BDs got announced. Online people talk about it non-stop. Fan art wise, the show is full of it. I don't see the appeal at all. I don't think there is a show that actually annoyed me as much as Asterisk did.

pbayne

Nijiiro Days 21

Come on show start making some couple already. Im tepid towards the " i can't remember we kissed" stuff, hopefully it gets resolved quickly.

Flying Witch 9

lol what noises was Akane making.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I remember being so stoked when it got announced, coming from Hyouka. All I got was a pile of glasses fetishism and bloody edginess. Not what I was expecting or wanting at all from their next work.

Go to any anime website, even crunchyroll and all you see is this show being pushed to hell and back. Go see how happy people got when the BDs got announced. Online people talk about it non-stop. Fan art wise, the show is full of it. I don't see the appeal at all. I don't think there is a show that actually annoyed me as much as Asterisk did.

The Asterisk War probably just got lucky and hit the genetic pick six of popularity.

Hey, you Asterisk War fans should be grateful that you even got a Season 2! I'm still waiting for Accel World Season 2!

I thought I might have gotten that with the announcement last year, but noooo instead I get a movie that takes place AFTER VOLUME 19. You know where season 1 finished? VOLUME 4.

The Asterisk War probably just got lucky and hit the genetic pick six of popularity.

It's a poor man's Mahouka, but people will take what they are given. Mahouka wasn't great, but at least it was a fun watch. This one just made me cringe.

I hope oniisama graces us with his presence once more ahahaha.

Hey, you Asterisk War fans should be grateful that you even got a Season 2! I'm still waiting for Accel World Season 2!

I thought I might have gotten that with the announcement last year, but noooo instead I get a movie that takes place AFTER VOLUME 19. You know where season 1 finished? VOLUME 4.
I actually enjoyed Accel World. Didn't know there was a movie coming out, this saddens me a bit though.

Boku no Hero Academia Episode 10:

So at last we have some actual villains attacking and the result is a lot less interesting then it should be. Mainly because most of the enemy here are so generic they didn't even bother to name most. Also, the reason something seems off about this plan is because in spite of its meticulousness it is rather sloppy and arrogant all things considered. On the bright side Frog Girl finally gets a chance to actually shine and show why people actually like her. On the other hand, the person who said we needed to get to know the lecherous purple baby who is just the absolute worst character show thus far needs to be fired.

This is very much intentional

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
It's a poor man's Mahouka, but people will take what they are given. Mahouka wasn't great, but at least it was a fun watch. This one just made me cringe.

I hope oniisama graces us with his presence once more ahahaha.

More to the point it is a show so generic and stale that I have actually seen people get it confused with Chivalry of a Failed Knight on more then one occasion.

More to the point it is a show so generic and stale that I have actually seen people get it confused with Chivalry of a Failed Knight on more then one occasion.

Oh yeah same here! Funny because that same thing actually happened to a friend of mine when I brought up the Asterisk game coming over. He much preferred Chivalry and hated Asterisk as much as me. His excitement dropped as soon as I told him Chivalry never even got a game of its own, much less a localization trademark.

I actually enjoyed Accel World. Didn't know there was a movie coming out, this saddens me a bit though.

Accel World I felt was all right because it did so many things I didn't expect the usual LN shows to do.

The idea of the Accelerated World was legitimately interesting to me and I loved how everybody turned into a wacky-looking robot going into it. Sunrise animating it really worked to the show's favour in that regard.

I liked how the stakes weren't extreme as "die in the game die for real". Instead of fighting for survival, they're fighting to keep control of what is essentially a minor superpower.

The fact that the game they were in was moreso a fighting game than a fantasy RPG also helped make things more fun to watch.

That's not to say the show was without its faults. Haru is basically pre-episode 11 Simon from Gurren Lagann throughout the entire show. The villain in the show's second half is extremely weak (though I liked the way
the show handled his "death", all things considered.
). And of course with this being a LN adaptation there's the general usual baggage of fanservice along with harem anime tropes, even though there's a significant less presence of the latter compared to other shows.

Gvitor

Boku no Hero Academia 10

I already caved and read the manga after last week's cliffhanger, but this was still very nice. The story really picks up after here, shame it will be 1-cour.

Mineta is the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom