• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kiznaiver 9

So I liked but now I love this show. However is it wrong of me if the show ends in either total suicide pact or hedonistic orgy?

ZiQV1iy.jpg

The first 'half' ends ok, even before the Ubukata switch the show gets better. Again I'm not saying it necessarily gets good but it does feel a bit more cohesive and put together. I'm looking forward to your opinions as to the second half as for me it felt like the show found a voice and came together as a work.

That's probably a very common opinion of it, I think. The attempts at an exposition-less and vague setting made it difficult for me to get interested in the world, and any side characters that even got a bit of focus got killed off, so everything boiled down to just a very thick Eva-clone tendencies with defend the island episodes and a somewhat angsty MC.

Diamond is Unbreakable 10

I had been a little disappointed when I found out Yuugo Kanno was returning as composer from Stardust Crusaders, but his work has leveled up along with the rest of the production. The music in this episode was particularly excellent, and so perfectly choreographed along with the shifts in mood and events.

The art in the kitchen scene was crazy good.

Narag

Space Pirate Captain Harlock (2013)

Basically Captain Harlock: Advent Children in the first hour then they dial up the space opera to 11 for the second and it gets pretty good.

Gvitor

Kiznaiver 09

Holy shit this episode. They're all broken after this.

Except for the masochist dude. He is as random as it gets.

Gundam Build Fighters 24

This. Is. Bullshit.

Seriously, I am so angry at the narrative direction this show has taken. Chairman Mashita has been a parasite on this show from the moment of his introduction, and now he has succeeded in ruining what should have been a satisfying climax with his nonsense. He's not even a satisfying villain, and his brief backstory given here just makes him even more lame. This show really didn't need a character like him.

I feel similarly here to the ending of FMA: Brotherhood, where just about everything I liked about the narrative is sacrificed on the altar of shounen escalation.

Crocodile

Diamond is Unbreakable 10

I had been a little disappointed when I found out Yuugo Kanno was returning as composer from Stardust Crusaders, but his work has leveled up along with the rest of the production. The music in this episode was particularly excellent, and so perfectly choreographed along with the shifts in mood and events.

The art in the kitchen scene was crazy good.

????

Kanno did great work on Crusaders. I think you would be the first person I've seen who didn't like it. I'm not sure why one would be afraid of their return for DIU. What didn't you like about their job on Crusaders?

Gundam Build Fighters 24

This. Is. Bullshit.

Seriously, I am so angry at the narrative direction this show has taken. Chairman Mashita has been a parasite on this show from the moment of his introduction, and now he has succeeded in ruining what should have been a satisfying climax with his nonsense. He's not even a satisfying villain, and his brief backstory given here just makes him even more lame. This show really didn't need a character like him.

I feel similarly here to the ending of FMA: Brotherhood, where just about everything I liked about the narrative is sacrificed on the altar of shounen escalation.

Here's a handy gif you might find useful in the future:

giphy.gif

Anyway, I agree that the chairman had a weak backstory and added little to the show except some dumb plot contrivances. Weakened the ending.

Disagree with the FMA:B jab. The escalation made sense, was earned and exciting. Especially compared to the nonsense that was the FMA 03 ending.

Gundam Build Fighters 24

This. Is. Bullshit.

I honestly really liked the Chairman.

With so many Gundam shows having self-righteous, super-serious, boring bad guys, it felt so refreshing to see one be so incompetent and whiny for once. With his assistant basically babying him I thought they added to the show's charm.

I also feel that GBF sort of earns its shounen escalation stuff as well, with how good it handles everything to get to that point.

????

Kanno did great work on Crusaders. I think you would be the first person I've seen who didn't like it. I'm not sure why one would be afraid of their return for DIU. What didn't you like about their job on Crusaders?

It wasn't that I didn't like it, but it didn't really stand out compared to Iwasaki's work for Battle Tendency, and I was expecting them to change composers again since they used three different ones for Parts 1-3. But I can't complain with how things turned out!

Anyway, I agree that the chairman had a weak backstory and added little to the show except some dumb plot contrivances. Weakened the ending.

Disagree with the FMA:B jab. The escalation made sense, was earned and exciting. Especially compared to the nonsense that was the FMA 03 ending.

I feel like I've gotten into the FMA debate a million times by now, so I'll just say I found the Brotherhood ending painfully dull and leave it at that.

I honestly really liked the Chairman.

With so many Gundam shows having self-righteous, super-serious, boring bad guys, it felt so refreshing to see one be so incompetent and whiny for once. With his assistant basically babying him I thought they added to the show's charm.

I also feel that GBF sort of earns its shounen escalation stuff as well, with how good it handles everything to get to that point.

Chairman Mashita feels like he belongs with the jobbers like the Gyan guy Sei fights in the first episode or the German contestant who was always trying to take down Fellini, not as the ultimate antagonist at the show's climax.

The big reason I'm upset is that ever since episode 6 the show had set up the expectation of a conclusive rematch between Yuuki and Sei/Reiji, been constantly building up both sides and steadily hyping up their reencounter in the finals - but then we reach the finals and instead of that longed for rematch we have brainwashing where Yuuki suddenly becomes a lamer rehash of Aila instead of getting to fight as himself. The beauty of episode 6, the passion of 15, the thoughtfulness of 18 - it's all replaced with the whining of a petty thief. That is not the conclusion I hoped for.

Jarmel

Banned
The big reason I'm upset is that ever since episode 6 the show had set up the expectation of a conclusive rematch between Yuuki and Sei/Reiji, been constantly building up both sides and steadily hyping up their reencounter in the finals - but then we reach the finals and instead of that longed for rematch we have brainwashing where Yuuki suddenly becomes a lamer rehash of Aila instead of getting to fight as himself. The beauty of episode 6, the passion of 15, the thoughtfulness of 18 - it's all replaced with the whining of a petty thief. That is not the conclusion I hoped for.

Yea there are problems with the tournament arc due to the rigging. It's pretty bullshit that they hyped up that fight and then kicked out the floor underneath the viewer. It's like poisoning the lead before the final battle. It's a bullshit way of ratcheting up the tension but it comes across as hollow.

Mushishi Zoku Sho 6

The variety of moods and kinds of stories Mushishi is able to get out of its fable framework is an important part of what separates it from lesser supernatural series such as Natsume's Book of Friends.

Tenga is just terrible at dealing with Katsuhira. Since Katsuhira shows little to no emotion I think that just makes Tenga even angrier, even without the romantic aspect.

Yeah, though there's a difference between being emotionless and being thoughtless. Katsuhira has shown to be able to think about how other people may feel yet when it comes to Chidori, his childhood friend no less, he gives no fucks. Totally deserved that first punch.

Wait...what if Kiznaiver really is just one cour, and it ends with everyone not being friends?...

giphy.gif

If only it was 2 ;___;

Qurupeke

The really cool (and sad) thing with Kiznaiver is that someone will end up alone. Yuta-Maki are probably safe, but the the rest are just a mess.

Eumi

The really cool (and sad) thing with Kiznaiver is that someone will end up alone. Yuta-Maki are probably safe, but the the rest are just a mess.

I don't want anyone to end up with anyone. Maybe Katsuhira and Sonozaki but even then. Just end with no one happy but they've all grown as people.

duckroll

????

It was fun having 3 different composers for Phantom Blood, Battle Tendency, and Stardust Crusaders. It gave each series a unique feel and they should have continued expanding that musical range instead of falling into a safe choice after being comfortable with it.

Ascheroth

Kuromukuro #9

Very nice resolution to the "I don't want to get into the damn robot" situation. The fight was okay as well, I especially like how the show continues to involve the environment for tactics.
Some more mysteries got open up as well (
was that watch on that 'thing' in the cave or what it was the same as Yukinas fathers?
)

My biggest problem right now is Kaya, though. I get he is written to be annoying (at least I hope it's intentional), but holy fucking shit, what a streaming pile of shit that guy is. You got nearly killed last time because of your fetish for getting a high viewcount on your streams. What to do? Repeat and get nearly killed AGAIN at the nextbest opportunity.
Seriously, if someone doesn't lock him away after this or beats him to a bloody pulp until he can't walk a single step on his own for his insufferable idiocy, I don't know.
Fuck that guy.

Crocodile

It wasn't that I didn't like it, but it didn't really stand out compared to Iwasaki's work for Battle Tendency, and I was expecting them to change composers again since they used three different ones for Parts 1-3. But I can't complain with how things turned out!.

It was fun having 3 different composers for Phantom Blood, Battle Tendency, and Stardust Crusaders. It gave each series a unique feel and they should have continued expanding that musical range instead of falling into a safe choice after being comfortable with it.

I too expected a composer swap for Part IV and was surprised to learn when it wasn't happening. Given the fall out with Iwasaki (even though he did turn in excellent work for Part II) and the seemingly good relationship with Kanno they have, I guess DP figured "if it ain't broke don't fix it!".

Eumi

I too expected a composer swap for Part IV and was surprised to learn when it wasn't happening. Given the fall out with Iwasaki (even though he did turn in excellent work for Part II) and the seemingly good relationship with Kanno they have, I guess DP figured "if it ain't broke don't fix it!".

I actually like keeping the same composer from part 3 onwards though. Part 3 pretty much sets up the feel of the entire rest of JoJo up to part 7, so keeping the music the same just feels right to me.

Helps that the ost has been on point for part 4 so far. It's a huge step up from part 3, and since next week is our first big fight against an antagonist, it may only get better.

Kinda sucks they can't get any RHCP music for the ending though. But that's a completely different story.

Line_HTX

I don't want anyone to end up with anyone. Maybe Katsuhira and Sonozaki but even then. Just end with no one happy but they've all grown as people.

I think that Okada wants to torture Chidori until the very end.

This experiment has been awful, and they STILL haven't explained the point of it beyond maintaining peace. Or am I missing something here that it means something different entirely?

Ascheroth

This experiment has been awful, and they STILL haven't explained the point of it beyond maintaining peace. Or am I missing something here that it means something different entirely?

From my point of view this 'for peace' talk is mainly an excuse that Yamada uses to justify his god complex. There probably is something more to it, or Urushii wouldn't give in that easily, but I do think that the way it's been playing out is mainly Yamada stroking his ego.

phaze

Beyond the Boundary [END]

After Kiznaiver, I was absolutely destroyed by this, it killed me inside. The ending was so over the top that it actually reminded me of stuff like Madoka, or even Gurren Lagann. It was crazy, and I think I liked it for the most part. But it was also an emotional rollercoaster, especially the last 5 minutes or so. Very sad. And I have no idea what happened to the last scene.
I'd be more content if the last minute hadn't happened. It didn't really ruin the ending, but felt unnecessary. Still, I'm happy Mirai is alive.

It's really nice when you watch a show with the absolute lowest expectations and it turns out that you end up loving it. Spoilers, of course, and I wouldn't recommend clicking these links if you intend to watch the show, but some sakuga:

Cool Scene 1
Cool Scene 2
Cool Scene 3

Pretty much every action scene was great actually...

Glad you liked it. For my own validation if nothing else. Seeing other people react similarly to an extent, lets me believe I'm not quite as mad for liking it as I've been led to believe. lol

Now that I rewatched bit of #10, I'm reminded of just what a thing of beauty, the integration of OP into that episode's story was.

Well, at least I think she's alive...

Find out by watching the movie.
00w1scx.png

Kiznaiver 9

So I liked but now I love this show. However is it wrong of me if the show ends in either total suicide pact or hedonistic orgy?
The latter I would say.

pbayne

Probably the end result will be to find a middle ground between 2 extremes- completely knowing what each other feels and thinks, which as is shown would just drive people further apart if you could actually do that. And the other extreme being the MC shutting everyone out, rejecting any relationships. So a middle ground of while its important to be emotionally sensitive to others pain and you can lean on them for support, its also partly your own responsibility to bear that pain and not force it onto others.

Thats probably the most predictable end i can think of. Lol i usually zone out when they talk about the kizna experiment stuff though so i might not remember the details too well.

Edit: As for everyone being friends i think we may get a Christmas time "everyones happy" ending were they all kiss and make up. But it would fitting if some of the group realized "hey we're too different to be friends and there's nothing wrong with that". Lol like could you actually imagine Hisomu and Maki being close friends for example?

Eumi

From what I see it really is just "help people better understand each other through mental and physical links", which is why that teacher is kinda feeling like shit since all it seems to be doing is fucking them up. Although part of me still thinks it's probably all a big elaborate ruse so Sonozaki can make out with Katsuhira.

phaze

Boku no Hero Academia 10

So this is what an endlessly monologuing shounen protagonist feels like.

<Nitpicking>This show has established no mechanics for people getting stronger outside of their quirks. Shouldn't Eraserhead's physical feats, given the nature of his ability, be still bound by normal human capabilities ? It sure didn't seem that way. </Nitpicking>

jgminto

I'm curious how many people here watching Kiznaiver have seen Sense8? I think the only difference with the connection at this point is the usage of other members' experiences and skills in fights and other tense situation which I could see being an aspect of Kiznaiver when it was originally a battle anime.

blurr

Kiznaiver 09

Well, that didn't end well but not that I find myself devastated over it. I'm just not finding it compelling, giving it some more thought on why and it's not that there's anything inherently bad but the themes/matter on which the drama plays out don't interest me much or at least not as much as it used to. It's a bit ironic though, essentially this show has all the elements that would make me love it but that wasn't entirely the case. I still find the premise interesting though.

I'm not sure I get what Kizuna system is trying to achieve at this point, stronger connection? to what end? there's probably some detail that's being hidden. I also don't quite understand the what exactly has been done to Sonozaki and Katsuhira, probably gonna be revealed later.

duckroll

I'm curious how many people here watching Kiznaiver have seen Sense8? I think the only difference with the connection at this point is the usage of other members' experiences and skills in fights and other tense situation which I could see being an aspect of Kiznaiver when it was originally a battle anime.

There's a huge difference. Sense8 is about people who are not physically connected being linked mentally and emotionally, allowing them to expand their perception of the world and gain a closer understanding of the differences in humanity. It is idealistic and optimistic.

Kiznaiver is about people who are physically around each other being forced to share their pain with each other and in doing so they each realize how weak, fragile, and selfish human beings are. It is a much more cynical work.

convo

Boku no Hero Academia 10

So this is what an endlessly monologuing shounen protagonist feels like.

<Nitpicking>This show has established no mechanics for people getting stronger outside of their quirks. Shouldn't Eraserhead's physical feats, given the nature of his ability, be still bound by normal human capabilities ? It sure didn't seem that way. </Nitpicking>

The "normal human capabilities" in this series might be more impressive than actual real life you know,how can Batman not feel sleepy when he fights crime all night? Skill and gadgetry are still important in a world like this.

Jintor

honestly aizara's magic bandages basically give him batman + doc ock + power erasure. OP as fuck

Also I hadn't really thought about how much Asui is basically spiderman's power set but with a cool calm collected chick instead of a smart-talky nerd

Qurupeke

I forgot to mention it, but Beyond the Boundary has its own dramatic namedrop moment, which is actually very similar to "You know, Ellie, we really are The Last of Us.".

Find out by watching the movie.
00w1scx.png

I had no idea that the second movie was a continuation. And apparently there's an ONA series or something too.

And it's not us who are wrong about the series, it's everyone else!

Beyond the Boundary 01

Beyond ridiculousness. Glasses girl is cute.

Even if you end up not liking the show, episode 6 is a must watch!

I just want a happy ending for Chidori and Nico. Sonozaki sucks and she's an awful person. She can end up with a Gomorin or something, I don't care.

jgminto

There's a huge difference. Sense8 is about people who are not physically connected being linked mentally and emotionally, allowing them to expand their perception of the world and gain a closer understanding of the differences in humanity. It is idealistic and optimistic.

Kiznaiver is about people who are physically around each other being forced to share their pain with each other and in doing so they each realize how weak, fragile, and selfish human beings are. It is a much more cynical work.
That's true, the emotional tone is very different but there are similarities in the development of the mental and emotional connection between the group members. They both start with a limited connection that develops with their personal relationships. The connection in Sense8 ultimately leads to something above a relationship between regular individuals and that could potentially be a goal with the Kiznaivers as well but the way their personalities and emotions clash in their current state makes that unlikely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom