• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

I'm pretty cool with harsh tonal shifts, I just hope the crackpot continues to be a crackpot.

And all I'm saying was
Envy should have gone down first for killing best guy, instead my two favourite sins kicked the bucket :(

Enjoy the ride. Don't forget to watchthe OVA right after... I wonder if AquaWateria remembered to..

Gundam Build Fighters 25 - END

So I thought I'd discuss some of the ways Gundam Build Fighters decides to break its own established rules in the last episode.

- First, there is the most obvious departure with precedence by the Plavsky particles running amuck and seeming to threaten a breakdown of reality. From the beginning through episode 24, it had been firmly established that Gunpla can only move within an activated Gunpla Battle System, an enclosed arena with its own rules that does not have any effect on the world outside it. This eliminates any real-world stakes - there does not seem to be any danger of Gunpla hurting, let alone killing, humans. The only interaction between the two worlds is through the "cockpit" display and controls that pop up when someone initiates a Gunpla Battle. The Plavsky explosion that happens at the end of episode 24 leading into 25 threatens this divide, causing the stadium to be visually replaced by a display of space that completely surrounds the human characters, though it acts as more of a visual illusion than anything else. The characters physically act as if they are still in the stadium - they are still bound by gravity to a solid ground, even if it has become invisible. The show never really gets into what could be the ultimate result of this phenomenon if not stopped - not that I think the logistical details are important, but this combined with the sudden escalation from simple game to JRPG final boss makes it difficult to take the threat seriously. Still, this is the least significant of the rule-breaking.

I think you're looking a bit too deep into this part here. I don't think viewers were really meant to take that part of the final battle that seriously.

- A more significant narrative consequence of the Plavsky explosion is the enemy being faced by the cast. Up through episode 24, all the battles had been between individual robots. Each of these robots was controlled by a particular person, with the exception of computer-controlled AI opponents which showed up on two occasions. A lot of attention was paid to giving each robot, drawn from across the Gundam franchise, its own visual personality, usually matching that with the personality of its owner. With episode 23 establishing the presence of life-size replicas of a Gundam and a Zaku as part of the nearby festival, it might be thought that those would play some role in the finale, as an even larger version of the giant Zaku that interrupted the Battle Royale in the preliminaries. That did not end up being the case, however. Instead, the enemies the main cast fights in the final episode are: 1) hundreds of faceless mook robots, 2) a fortress maze, 3) an unmanned gun, and 4) a crystal. All of these have no personality compared with all the robots fought up to now. Since there is no one controlling them, as they are the result of a system gone berserk, none of these enemies have any goals or objectives either. It's completely baffling to me that for the final confrontation of your series, you would choose the most forgettable and bland opponents possible. Especially after robbing the viewers of the rematch between Yuuki and Sei/Reiji that has been built up for almost the entire show through brainwashing shenanigans, this is an incredibly anticlimactic climax. Sure, it allows basically every significant character to show up and fight together, some whose robots we are seeing for the first time (Sei's father, Ramba Ral, Mao's master), but it feels so hollow and contrived.

I feel like making all the significant characters fight together at the end was entirely the point of those enemies.

When the entire show involves these characters fighting each other (friendly or otherwise), it feels good to see everybody fighting together at the very end. Sure it's a bit contrived, but I feel like the show kinda earns the moment.

- Speaking of pointless drama, we also have Reiji's disappearance. Reiji had actually disappeared once before in the exact same manner - at the end of episode 2 - and indeed, Sei flashes back to that scene as he sees Reiji disappearing here. But in episode 2 Reiji reappeared immediately in the post-ED segment, with no long-term consequences. That raises the question of why he would not be able to do the same thing again this time, which weakens the drama being set up where the show acts like Sei will never see Reiji again. The extraterrestrial visitor having to depart for his home planet at the end of a story is a common occurrence, but its impact is not as great when the story has established multiple ways for visitors to travel back and forth between the two worlds. Again, it feels like cheap, unearned drama.

I'm pretty sure him not being able to do the same thing has something to do with the big Plavisky stone being destroyed, IIRC.

These inconsistencies taken together destroy my ability to treat the finale as the deathly serious climax it wants to be. Instead, all I am left with is a sour taste in my mouth and a wish that the writer had better planned out the story instead of seemingly pulling an ending out of thin air.

As fair as your criticisms are, I don't think the finale was really intended to be something all that super serious. Crazy stuff is happening yes and the characters are reacting accordingly to it, but it's more or less just to be used as an excuse just to throw all the characters together for one big final showdown. And with all the good the show has done with its characters, I feel like the show earns it. I guess whether you feel the same or not ultimately varies on one's investment in the show and the Gundam franchise as a whole, but for me, I just loved the show just going all out like that.

Still, you're not exactly wrong with your points. I still rank G Gundam as the better Gundam show than GBF despite how much I love the latter.

In other words, Gundam for the past 8 years or so have been complete doo-doo.

;P
They hit their peak a loooong time ago :'v

GundamWing.jpg

All you said is true but we still got to see Ral and Mao's Master completely blow out hundreds of dudes without even trying and turning the entire screen into explosions. Also Crossbone was in it.

I can imagine that this ending (as well as other details throughout the show) works better for people who have watched most of the Gundam franchise and are heavily invested in it. They can recognize all the cameos and nods to past works. However, I am unable to judge the show on how good a piece of Gundam fanservice it is and can only evaluate it on its own independent merits.

And I'm 99% sure that in the ending credits they show Nils and Caroline in space on some Yajima mission and Nils invents a way to manufacture the particles so they can battoru again. Thats what happened anyway. So in Try Nils is pretty much Gunpla God since he invented the system, he refuses to fight because it would be unfair even to Meijin

They do show Nils and Caroline together, but it wasn't clear what they were doing, and if they were going to go that route I'm not sure why they needed to pull the "We'll never battle again!" card immediately before. It's so cheap.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't read the thread that thoroughly nowadays, so I hadn't noticed that pbayne was watching the show, but holy shit 12-sai is kind of amazing. First episode is has the kiss!
DIebkEol.jpg

What makes it weird, for me anyway, is that this is clearly aimed at girls - or maybe women who are meant to clearly identify with the main characters. The first episode has a period/cramp storyline.
4FmtDtYl.jpg

4EtcUZil.jpg

And of course there's nothing wrong with that (the second episode has the characters go get themselves properly fitted for bras), but trying to identify with the body issues of 12 year old girls isn't something I'd ever really thought about.

That said, it seems to drop into standard shoujo fair after episode 3... if you can get over the age of the characters, it's probably the best shoujo that I've seen in awhile. Too bad it's not licensed.

What makes it weird, for me anyway, is that this is clearly aimed at girls - or maybe women who are meant to clearly identify with the main characters. The first episode has a period/cramp storyline.
4FmtDtYl.jpg

4EtcUZil.jpg

Not a fan when age isn't more apparent in character design if that teacher/nurse on the right is supposed to be significantly older.

Haven't really heard much about this, might give it a go some time.

Narag

Go on and tell me how bad my taste is, but I liked this GaoGaiGar FINAL fight scene more than any mecha scene in Evangelion.

I'm sorry folks, as great a subversion of the mecha genre that Evangelion is, pure hot-blooded, all-out super robot spirit will always be my jam when it comes to anime.

Guy vs Mamoru was better because of how personal it was. The slight chance it was the real Mamoru gave it a sincere weight and a genuine sense of everything falling apart before their eyes. That Mamoru mastering the finishing move that was killing Guy in the TV series and using it to murder ChoRyuJin was the ultimate slap in the face.

I hope you check out G Gundam at some point too, Hosanna.

I might, but since I didn't really care for Giant Robo I'm not optimistic about caring for any other Imagawa works.

I don't read the thread that thoroughly nowadays, so I hadn't noticed that pbayne was watching the show, but holy shit 12-sai is kind of amazing. First episode is has the kiss!

What makes it weird, for me anyway, is that this is clearly aimed at girls - or maybe women who are meant to clearly identify with the main characters.

Since 12-sai airs during prime-time - 7:30 PM, to be exact - it is absolutely aimed at preteen girls (and maybe their mothers as well).

Guy vs Mamoru was better because of how personal it was. The slight chance it was the real Mamoru gave it a sincere weight and a genuine sense of everything falling apart before their eyes. That Mamoru mastering the finishing move that was killing Guy in the TV series and using it to murder ChoRyuJin was the ultimate slap in the face.

I can definitely agree with you there 100%. I actually debated between linking that for a second because it's a really major highlight of the OVA for that very reason. Story and character-wise, it's definitely a superior moment.

I personally like the Guy VS Palparepa rematch better though because after all the suffering in the OVA it feels so good seeing that curbstomp with Guy slowly uttering the Hell and Heaven chant with every punch, with him uttering that the Sol Masters have been nothing but cowards the whole time. It's one of Nobuyuki Hiyama's best VA performances.

I might, but since I didn't really care for Giant Robo I'm not optimistic about caring for any other Imagawa works.

While I won't lie and say G Gundam isn't super robot up to the max with the wacky designs and finishing moves, I still think it's worth watching if you want to see some genuinely good character development.

I think you'd definitely enjoy it moreso than you did Gundam Build Fighters' ending. It's similar to Majin Bone where the show ends not with a fight but with a really important character moment that serves as the perfect climax to what the show builds up to throughout its run.

It's so good it makes me recommend it to anime fans in general, not just mecha fans.

Steins:Gate - 4

Man am I loving Kyoma and Christiana's interaction with each other, their squabbles bounce off so well off of each other. The card battle segment was ace too haha.

She got
killed off too early :(

Another reason why OG Full Metal Alchemist is better.

Busaiku

The Boy and the Beast

The beginning felt too rushed, Kyuuta and everyone just went into this too easily. Definitely could've used some worldbuilding, the interactions between beasts and humans just felt so jarring. Watching Kyuuta grow up was a blast, and even despite my complaints about him accepting the situation too easily, I liked his transition back into how man life. But overall, a lack of understanding as to the roles of humans and beasts really hindered the experience. Definitely the weakest of his originals.

The Girl Who Kept Through Time

The ending has me a bit stumped, but it was definitely executed better than The Boy and the Beast. This was a much funnier one than the rest of his movies, with a lot of emphasis on slapstick. Think they left the tempura stuff go too easily, but that's probably just me. Not as fun as Summer Wars, but I liked it a lot. But Makoto was super dumb.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Holy shit. I'm not even done reading corvo's review of Cross Ange and I"m dying. Wow.

EDIT: Agree with Corvo's review 100%. Except I didn't really have a problem with the mecha or the fight scenes all that much. Other than that Cross Ange's a pretty offensive bad show.

Fafner 11

The direction the plot is going here, with Kazuki (and in turn Kariya) tricked and taken by the Neo UN, is an interesting turn of events and I'm curious to see where it goes. I'm glad to see that the show is going to explore the outside world in more depth rather than staying mostly confined to the island. The 2D mecha-on-mecha action looked pretty bad though; the less of that, the better.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Since 12-sai airs during prime-time - 7:30 PM, to be exact - it is absolutely aimed at preteen girls (and maybe their mothers as well).
That sort of makes sense. The first two episodes definitely feel like "teaching moment" episodes.
It's funny though, I guess PreCure is aimed at an even younger prepubescent audience, even if the characters seem to be the same age.

Not a fan when age isn't more apparent in character design if that teacher/nurse on the right is supposed to be significantly older.

Haven't really heard much about this, might give it a go some time.
It's that very shoujo-ey shoujo character design that you see in every other shoujo manga. The only thing that differentiates the characters is the hair.
It's neat if nothing else, and it definitely is the best shoujo romance in a while.

Thoraxes

I didn't know and yet the town moves come out in Blu ray. Do anyone know the quality of the blue ray for this show or is it an upscale. Still, good show to watch.

It looks to be native HD. Though I have zero clue if it's 1080p or 720p.

I can take some caps at 1080p for you if you want. It looks REAL crisp on bluray. Just came out this month from Sentai after a long ass time.

John Blade

It looks to be native HD. Though I have zero clue if it's 1080p or 720p.

I can take some caps at 1080p for you if you want. It looks REAL crisp on bluray. Just came out this month from Sentai after a long ass time.

Do take some pics for me to see. I own the DVD and surprise they did release this show on Blu-ray. Will look some info online about this.

pbayne

And of course there's nothing wrong with that (the second episode has the characters go get themselves properly fitted for bras), but trying to identify with the body issues of 12 year old girls isn't something I'd ever really thought about.

That said, it seems to drop into standard shoujo fair after episode 3... if you can get over the age of the characters, it's probably the best shoujo that I've seen in awhile. Too bad it's not licensed.

Lol it is quintessential shoujo with all the good/bad that entails, it actually becomes hilarious how many tropes and cliches they manage to pull off later. The show has zero originality aside from the characters ages but it just does everything to a competent level and with enough energy that you forgive it.
People talking about Lost Village and Big Order- nah this is the show with the real fucking weird, inappropriate dialogue. I think i laugh more in disbelief at this show, as the sense of humor often kills the momentum of any episode with how out of no-where it comes.

John Blade

Look like the MC got his grooves back and manage to kick the alien ass. Also, got to see what so special the suit can do on the person. Very interesting to see how it multi the MC power abilities when attacking the alien. Still, have no clue why they have to kill the alien for except to help the government to do the dirty work. Look like we found out if the MC will kill the alien before the timer run out in the next episode.

A very entertaining episode to watch and yup, more gore to see in the beginning. Just hope the MC friend won' t get kill yet as he look like he go a very bad cut from the attack.

Sölf

I enjoy the characters and the naval battles use actual real world tactics and weapons in much the same way GuP does. Unfortunately the McGuffin that drives the plot is utter nonsense and every time it pops up in an episode it annoys me no end -
hamsters infect crews with a virus that makes them hyper aggressive but in an orderly ship crew kind of a way?

On the up side the McGuffin doesn't show up until episode 5 and the ship to ship combat until then is excellent. I'm still in on the strength of those fights and when the show is fighting it is at its best but every time the McGuffin returns I question myself.

It's definitly not bad, but it's so slow in comparison. Could also be because most battles are only 1 on 1, were as Girls und Panzer has several tanks on each side, which makes the battles much more frantic imo.

Cornbread78

Holy shit. I'm not even done reading corvo's review of Cross Ange and I"m dying. Wow.

EDIT: Agree with Corvo's review 100%. Except I didn't really have a problem with the mecha or the fight scenes all that much. Other than that Cross Ange's a pretty offensive bad show.

But, but, but. ... It's entertaining as fuck.

blurr

Maybe I should watch how Gantz turned out in anime form. It was a crazy ride with not very pleasant moments but enjoyable nonetheless.

Qurupeke

Ping Pong The Animation [END]
ipMaPV2.png

Obligatory EVA reference.
Fantastic and very satisfying ending to a great series. I think I enjoyed it far more than I expected.

In the end, I'm not entirely sure if this was the story of Peco or Smile, but I guess it was actually for both of them. I was afraid the ending would be a repeat of the story with "Butterfly Jo", but the injured knee was a red herring, and I'm totally fine with this, considering the whole "Hero" theme. It's actually pretty cool they embraced the development of the characters and that was reflected perfectly on that final match. Also, I loved how they revealed the winner of the match through the photo at the final scene. Pretty cool and it emphasized once again that the sport wasn't the central aspect of the series.

The only thing I didn't really like much was the artstyle they choose. I prefer it over using something common, and it actually worked greatly in order to show the dynamics of the sport, but I think it looked a bit ugly at times. Still, I think it generally suited to the show, so I'm not completely against it and I'm drawing a blank when I try to find a better fit, which wouldn't diminish the series.

Anyway, really unique series and it was a lot of fun. Highly recommended!

Sölf

The only thing I didn't really like much was the artstyle they choose. I prefer it over using something common, and it actually worked greatly in order to show the dynamics of the sport, but I think it looked a bit ugly at times. Still, I think it generally suited to the show, so I'm not completely against it and I'm drawing a blank when I try to find a better fit, which wouldn't diminish the series.

Well, it's the original manga artstyle.

Thoraxes

Do take some pics for me to see. I own the DVD and surprise they did release this show on Blu-ray. Will look some info online about this.

Just random shots I took my scanning through the first disc of episodes. All are uncompressed pngs at 1080p.

If I had to take a guess, I think it's a 720p upscale. Still looks good though. Just having and actual HD version to finally buy is great.

Qurupeke

Sölf;206046905 said:
Well, it's the original manga artstyle.

They look very similar, as both of them want to look realistic, but the lines on the show look rough, which seems to be a an artstyle choice.

John Blade

Just random shots I took my scanning through the first disc of episodes. All are uncompressed pngs at 1080p.

If I had to take a guess, I think it's a 720p upscale. Still looks good though. Just having and actual HD version to finally buy is great.

Man...make me consider to buy the show again just so I can own the blue ray version. A you should watch the show as it's very good.

But, but, but. ... It's entertaining as fuck.

Whatever "fun" is there to be had in Cross Ange is nullified by the fact that what's being shown on screen is physically offensive and repulsive.

I can turn my brain off to enjoy certain shows but the stuff people say is in Cross Ange is stuff that goes way too far to ignore.

If I watched Cross Ange I would not be entertained. I'd be angry.

blurr

I didn't mind if not liked Ping Pong's art style. My favorite moment in the final episode was when Smile gets injured, he tastes his blood saying "My blood tastes like iron". What a spectacle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom