• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Twin Star Exorcists ep.10
Dku1Win.jpg

Well, it looks like we just met the best character in the show so far; Sensei Subaru, Benio's master. She is awesome! That Kagare fight was sick and can can really work all kinds of guns. Really good episode with a great mix of comedy and action, with more relationship and character growth. Marriage training was hilarious.. Plus, it looks like we get more Master Subaru next week, so all is right in the world! The show is much better than I expected and it's a shame so many completely dismissed it as standard shounen drab, because it's a really fun show to watch.

Ascheroth

Is Jo Jo getting a second cour through the summer?

It's 39 episodes as far as we know. So summer and fall season as well.

Whatever "fun" is there to be had in Cross Ange is nullified by the fact that what's being shown on screen is physically offensive and repulsive.

I can turn my brain off to enjoy certain shows but the stuff people say is in Cross Ange is stuff that goes way too far to ignore.

If I watched Cross Ange I would not be entertained. I'd be angry.

The way you manage to be so angry at stuff you haven't even seen yourself is sometimes really baffling.

Twin Star Exorcists #10

That was fun.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
If you want to say Ping Pong's production does not always deliver, sure, fine, but the art style is legitimately remarkable. Kinetic. Expressive. Great use of color. An astounding example of perspective, which carries in tow really fantastic layout work. Really impressive background work too that often doesn't get mentioned that is richly shaded and detailed.

Cornbread78

It's 39 episodes as far as we know. So summer and fall season as well.

The way you manage to be so angry at stuff you haven't even seen yourself is sometimes really baffling.

Twin Star Exorcists #10

That was fun.

Thank you for the JoJo bit and yeah,

TSE was really fun this week and Subaru-Sama is the best! I guess all the manga folks are all pissed off online because this was a "filler" episode and she does not appear until much later in the manga and doesn't really appear much at all, but yet she got almost a full episode here, plus more next week. She was both badass and great, lol.

Thoraxes

Man...make me consider to buy the show again just so I can own the blue ray version. A you should watch the show as it's very good.

Oh i've seen the show before, but I really wanted to purchase a bluray version for forever. First time I saw it was with a friend's DVDs.

jgminto

Ping Pong is a modern classic. If I were to recommend someone a show from this decade disregarding their personal taste, it would easily be Ping Pong. If somebody has watched to the Christmas episode and doesn't consider it brilliant, I probably wouldn't hold much stock in their opinions on media.

Ascheroth

Thank you for the JoJo bit and yeah,

TSE was really fun this week and Subaru-Sama is the best! I guess all the manga folks are all pissed off online because this was a "filler" episode and she does not appear until much later in the manga and doesn't really appear much at all, but yet she got almost a full episode here, plus more next week. She was both badass and great, lol.

I'm a manga reader myself, but I like what they're doing.
The fact that it was going to be different from the manga should have been clear the moment it was known to be 50 episodes.
The 'fillers' are fun and are actually interwoven in the source material in a meaningful way most of the time and also don't prevent the manga material to play out like it did in the manga.
(The last 2 episodes for example were manga material)

When I'm told that a show that has badly made CG Robots and a scene where a man is strapped to a table and raped and then forced to apologize for it is a partially well-regarded show here, how could I not be angry at it from that alone?

Ping Pong reminds me of the Dr Katz Professional Therapist because the line work is basically the same to me. I like Dr Katz more though.

Cornbread78

Entertaining is not the word I would use. It felt like watching a chemistry lab.

You sound like you work for the NFL (no fun league) lol. Trainwrecks and nonsensicle shit can often be very entertaining to watch. Cross Ange just happened to be exactly that for me.

ASWV5tr.gif

Truth be told, I actually love this gif... great imagery.

Qurupeke

If you want to say Ping Pong's production does not always deliver, sure, fine, but the art style is legitimately remarkable. Kinetic. Expressive. Great use of color. An astounding example of perspective, which carries in tow really fantastic layout work. Really impressive background work too that often doesn't get mentioned that is richly shaded and detailed.

It's stuff like what you posted, along with every ping pong match in the show, that make it impossible to say that I'm against it or it's bad. Because that would be a lie. The art was generally very detailed, but there were a few instances that they'd lose that and turn to something that looked like a transition animation or a rough sketch. Sometimes this worked, sometimes it looked bad. I guess I just didn't like it when it didn't deliver and this rubbed the wrong way, because I completely agree with you.

Ping Pong is a modern classic. If I were to recommend someone a show from this decade disregarding their personal taste, it would easily be Ping Pong. If somebody has watched to the Christmas episode and doesn't consider it brilliant, I probably wouldn't hold much stock in their opinions on media.

The best thing about the Christmas episode is how it signified a "new page" for every character. I especially liked Wenge's change.

The episode actually reminded me Trapeze's Christmas episode, which was also great.

Cornbread78

I'm a manga reader myself, but I like what they're doing.
The fact that it was going to be different from the manga should have been clear the moment it was known to be 50 episodes.
The 'fillers' are fun and are actually interwoven in the source material in a meaningful way most of the time and also don't prevent the manga material to play out like it did in the manga.
(The last 2 episodes for example were manga material)

The last 3 episodes have been really, really good! I guess I can see why some purest get upset, but it all appears to fit when watching the show and it is very good, so it's all a plus for me!

Sölf;206042421 said:
It's definitly not bad, but it's so slow in comparison. Could also be because most battles are only 1 on 1, were as Girls und Panzer has several tanks on each side, which makes the battles much more frantic imo.
Yeah you're right it is significantly less frantic fighting than in GuP but I feel a lot of that is down to the different nature of naval vs armoured warfare. Although GuP does specifically focus on close range battles to give itself that pace (after all the point of Germany's big cats was that they could kill from well over a kilometre away).

When I'm told that a show that has badly made CG Robots and a scene where a man is strapped to a table and raped and then forced to apologize for it is a partially well-regarded show here, how could I not be angry at it from that alone?

You haven't even seen any Cross Ange despite all your incessant whining about it? Hah. It's one thing to hear bad things about a show and avoid it, it's another to crusade against it like this without knowing it first hand.

Aki-at

Another reason why OG Full Metal Alchemist is better.

Yeah I have to admit I was taken aback by how quickly
Lust, Martel and Greed were taken out of commission, I greatly enjoyed their expanded roles in the original.
That being said I'm loving the addition of Ling to the cast and so far it's still a toss up for me between the two, I'm enjoying the lighter tone with Brotherhood, the villains and general plot, but at the same time I felt more emotional impact in the original (With some great scenes accompanied by a stellar soundtrack) still early days and the original might overtaking it again.

It's still cool to have two completely different takes on the Fullmetal series though!

You haven't even seen any Cross Ange despite all your incessant whining about it? Hah. It's one thing to hear bad things about a show and avoid it, it's another to crusade against it like this without knowing it first hand.

Look, I researched Cross Ange. Everything I've read about it just makes me get more and more angry at it. If I watched it, I'm certain those feelings would only escalate.

Why would you be forced to apologize for it? Who is forcing you?

No no, the character in the show was forced to apologize for it, not me.

There's a scene where the male MC is bolted to a table, raped by several women, then the female MC forces him to apologize for it afterwards.

No no, the character in the show was forced to apologize for it, not me.

There's a scene where the male MC is bolted to a table, raped by several women, then the female MC forces him to apologize for it afterwards.

Oh, I see. I misunderstood your post, for which I apologize.

At any rate, Cross Ange sounds like a thoroughly vile show, but it's important to remember that when you talk about it being "partially well-regarded here", you're talking about the same sort of people who enjoy Infinite Stratos and Hundred, the "so bad it's good" irony brigade who routinely revel in some of the worst anime has to offer.

Cornbread78

Ain't kayos talking about Cross Ange and not Twin Star Exorcists? :p

Oops, forgot to comment on his, lol.

I'll revisit later, gotta do some client e-mails/calls, etc..

Another random question, Twin Star Exorcist is continuing straight through with the 50 episodes, correct? Are they taking a break between cours?

John Blade

Man...what the hell with Jouichirou? He have some sick mind character who like to see people die in crazy way. Make you wonder if he like coming back just so he can see new people getting kill for fun as he was in this game for over a year based on what he explain about this Gantz.

Also, start to understand a bit more of this game the MC and his friend is going through. A very interesting game where they're suppose to be death but not yet and they give kinda a second chance by asking them to complete this game. Also, no one can see them when they're in the game which can explain what happend in the last episode. If they loose, they're already death for good but if they win or survive the game, they can go back to the world they live in like they're fine. Very weird but can be very interesting to see where it can go next.

An okay episode. More explain what the hell is happening of this game which answer some questions. Still, will like to see what MC will be doing next now he know about this stuff.

Theonik

At any rate, Cross Ange sounds like a thoroughly vile show, but it's important to remember that when you talk about it being "partially well-regarded here", you're talking about the same sort of people who enjoy Infinite Stratos and Hundred, the "so bad it's good" irony brigade who routinely revel in some of the worst anime has to offer.
I don't think these shows are 'well regarded' here at all. People watch them and praise them for their entertainment value not their quality. And there is definitely entertainment value to be had in these formulas of shows mind that IS, Hundread and Cross Ange are all different kettles of fish. The other thing that's weird is there seems to be an allusion of an AnimeGAF hivemind here.

Your posts also sound pretty bitter here.

Man...what the hell with Jouichirou? He have some sick mind character who like to see people die in crazy way. Make you wonder if he like coming back just so he can see new people getting kill for fun as he was in this game for over a year based on what he explain about this Gantz.

Also, start to understand a bit more of this game the MC and his friend is going through. A very interesting game where they're suppose to be death but not yet and they give kinda a second chance by asking them to complete this game. Also, no one can see them when they're in the game which can explain what happend in the last episode. If they loose, they're already death for good but if they win or survive the game, they can go back to the world they live in like they're fine. Very weird but can be very interesting to see where it can go next.

An okay episode. More explain what the hell is happening of this game which answer some questions. Still, will like to see what MC will be doing next now he know about this stuff.

This series was enjoyable to read but holy fuck does it turn into extreme bullshit later on.

Line_HTX

You sound like you work for the NFL (no fun league) lol. Trainwrecks and nonsensicle shit can often be very entertaining to watch. Cross Ange just happened to be exactly that for me.

ASWV5tr.gif

Truth be told, I actually love this gif... great imagery.

The upcoming regular season is going to be fun!

;P

I don't think these shows are 'well regarded' here at all. People watch them and praise them for their entertainment value not their quality. And there is definitely entertainment value to be had in these formulas of shows mind that IS, Hundread and Cross Ange are all different kettles of fish. The other thing that's weird is there seems to be an allusion of an AnimeGAF hivemind here.

Your posts also sound pretty bitter here.

I actually agree with you, and that was the point I was trying to make to nintendoman - that people aren't praising Cross Ange for being well-made and well-written (at least I haven't seen anyone here claim that), but enjoying it as trashy entertainment they can laugh at. That's why I think his strong anti Cross Ange campaign is misguided.

I actually agree with you, and that was the point I was trying to make to nintendoman - that people aren't praising Cross Ange for being well-made and well-written (at least I haven't seen anyone here claim that), but enjoying it as trashy entertainment they can laugh at. That's why I think his strong anti Cross Ange campaign is misguided.

See, I understand that's not what people are praising Cross Ange for. My point is I feel like watching Cross Ange even as trashy entertainment to laugh at is too much too far.

I'm not opposed to watching trash once in a while. I know there are trashy shows that people ironically enjoy, that's what the List is for. Some trashy shows once in a while is okay.

But Cross Ange is different. The more I think about it the more I feel like it shouldn't be enjoyed either way. It's one thing to laugh at all the girls in a harem show desperately trying to get romantically involved with the MC with all the harem hijinks in Hundred, but why are people laughing at girls getting raped and horribly ripped apart in Cross Ange?

It's disturbing to me. I generally don't mind watching anime for mindless entertainment but the stuff I hear is heavily featured in Cross Ange well, crosses a line. It bothers me that people so casually say "Cross Ange is the best mecha of 2015" without so much as giving a second thought as to all the disgusting imagery in it. Unironically or not, it feels so wrong to me.

JulianImp

I dont what will happen if I do.

SAO rewatch equals event horizon confirmed.

Regarding "so-bad-it's-good" shows, I'm kind of okay with watching one or two per season, but only when the show actually manages to be entertaining because of how ridiculously bad it is. Over time, my threshold is getting narrower, so I feel like I just am not enjoying current bad stuff such as Hundred, Mayoiga or Big Order.

JulianImp

We could do an SAO "Let's ReWatch" just for fun, lol.

I'd actually be okay with it. A mass metaphorical suicide pact sounds fun, because we could argue back and forth about stuff rather than simply posting random impressions everybody skims over due to not being about seasonal shows.

pbayne

12-Sai 9

Lol i had to stop watching for a while. Jesus there's a joke in this episode that had me banging my head against the wall. Other than that, pretty nothing episode.

Clannad End

Yup that was an ending *insert Cornbread avatar pic of literally the end scene*.

On the whole i really enjoyed it. Id say its a better comedy/SOL than anything else though with a fair bit of downtime(seriously at times there's less plot than K-ON). Like it has a certain reputation, so i was expecting really overblown, sappy drama...but that never happened and its probably my biggest fault of the show that its drama rarely hits home with me. And if anything it could have easily gotten away with a bit of melodrama at times to sell some of the bigger moments.

You can tell that the writing veers around the VN routes(it makes a bit of awkwardness but its still good since the right decision was to focus on the main couple) and cuts some characters short but i still liked the majority of the cast even if their individual arcs were a bit lacking, and i can't believe how much i liked Sunohara by the end, plus Akio and Sanae are just the greatest. I love KyoAni's comedy a lot(more than their other stuff really) and i found the show hysterical at times.

Obviously the highlight for me was Nagisa and Tomoya's relationship being slowly built up...and Cornbread is right to say its one of the best couples in anime.

I know its essentially a Part 1 of a story
and After Story is supposed to be infinite sadness mode... :(
, so i look forward to watching After Story some day.

Clannad Sakagami OVA

Lol it feels weird to see Tomoya with someone who isn't Nagisa. I dunno...it was what it was i guess, a VN route ending without a lot of context but it was still very sweet and told a decent story in 20 minutes.

John Blade

Nothing much to say about this episode. It's more of the backstory of the three characters and how their react when they come back to the world when they can leave the room. Kinda found out more of the female MC, Kei, backstory a bit (well..found out her older sister is alive after she felt in the bathtub and is in the hospital). Don't know if it help push the story a bit so.....meh.

For Masaru, his younger brother might be wondering of what happen to him based on what he saw on the news. Nothing much to say in this backstory except his mom is a bitch attitude toward him and the younger brother (step mom?).

For the MC, fun to see him using the suit in a fight even though it's very short. Would be cool to own the suit which can maximize your power when fighting someone. Kinda weird of how the suit start up (thinking naughty thing on female Kei body which basically give the MC a hard on). Lastly, he somehow got lucky at the end when female Kei manage to find where he live (more naughty stuff coming?).

Also, another thing I notice, the creator of Gantz might have a naughty mind as he like to show either woman with big tits or naughty scene which show Kei basically naked and removing her underwear. Guess he like the audience to have the same feeling when seeing them on screen. Not saying I hate it but I am guessing they will be more of this in this show from the look of it.

(PS: I bet the creator is bias against fans who like more ass than boobies).

How many female nudes scene in this episode
Female Kei : 5 scenes

Cornbread78

Clannad End

Yup that was an ending *insert Cornbread avatar pic of literally the end scene*.

On the whole i really enjoyed it. Id say its a better comedy/SOL than anything else though with a fair bit of downtime(seriously at times there's less plot than K-ON). Like it has a certain reputation, so i was expecting really overblown, sappy drama...but that never happened and its probably my biggest fault of the show that its drama rarely hits home with me. And if anything it could have easily gotten away with a bit of melodrama at times to sell some of the bigger moments.

You can tell that the writing veers around the VN routes(it makes a bit of awkwardness but its still good since the right decision was to focus on the main couple) and cuts some characters short but i still liked the majority of the cast even if their individual arcs were a bit lacking, and i can't believe how much i liked Sunohara by the end, plus Akio and Sanae are just the greatest. I love KyoAni's comedy a lot(more than their other stuff really) and i found the show hysterical at times.

Obviously the highlight for me was Nagisa and Tomoya's relationship being slowly built up...and Cornbread is right to say its one of the best couples in anime.

I know its essentially a Part 1 of a story
and After Story is supposed to be infinite sadness mode... :(
, so i look forward to watching After Story some day.

Most of the stuff you hear about and what most people get their "feels" from is upcoming in After Story. Knowing what you have seen now, you should plow right into it so you don't forget some of the small details that make a big impact in what is to come.

After Story is truly what defines Clannad since S1 was a complete set-up for what happens in the second half of After Story as the emotional roller coaster begins... $hit is about to get real...

Oh, and yeah, that baseball/picnic scene is really really good:

https://youtu.be/stRh4SdP0Ws

LXQte8Z.gif

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Nothing much to say about this episode. It's more of the backstory of the three characters and how their react when they come back to the world when they can leave the room. Kinda found out more of the female MC, Kei, backstory a bit (well..found out her older sister is alive after she felt in the bathtub and is in the hospital). Don't know if it help push the story a bit so.....meh.

For Masaru, his younger brother might be wondering of what happen to him based on what he saw on the news. Nothing much to say in this backstory except his mom is a bitch attitude toward him and the younger brother (step mom?).

For the MC, fun to see him using the suit in a fight even though it's very short. Would be cool to own the suit which can maximize your power when fighting someone. Kinda weird of how the suit start up (thinking naughty thing on female Kei body which basically give the MC a hard on). Lastly, he somehow got lucky at the end when female Kei manage to find where he live (more naughty stuff coming?).

Also, another thing I notice, the creator of Gantz might have a naughty mind as he like to show either woman with big tits or naughty scene which show Kei basically naked and removing her underwear. Guess he like the audience to have the same feeling when seeing them on screen. Not saying I hate it but I am guessing they will be more of this in this show from the look of it.

(PS: I bet the creator is bias against fans who like more ass than boobies).

Female Kei : 5 scenes

Can confirm that Hiroya Oku is pervert and boobs man. He's supposedly one of the first author that use a technique he called "tits motion trail" to draw tits movement (i'm not kidding, i think you can find him talking about it in omake in Gantz vol.1 or 2, i forgot)

John Blade

Can confirm that Hiroya Oku is pervert and boobs man. He's supposedly one of the first author that use a technique he called "tits motion trail" to draw tits movement (i'm not kidding, i think you can find him talking about it in omake in Gantz vol.1 or 2, i forgot)

Jeeze....you don't need to impress people that you're the 1st one who make a special tits movement in your work. I don't think the audience really care about that as they will most likely do something when they're watching or reading his work when they see it.

For Cornbread78, man...you manage to get more people to watch Clannad. I guess once I finish few more anime in my backlogged, I will most likely watch it (or you start forcing me to watch it asap).

Eumi

I really want SAO to finish at some point so I can binge it all at once. Now that's some good ironic trash to watch, although I'd probably have to share the pain with someone.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Bakuon 10
The struggle of a short person. Chisame making some really good anime faces.
The ending song was changed to Raimu senpai version. That was interesting.

John Blade

To the people who help make the story for this episode, fuck you to set it up a bait for what was about to happen as almost every audience was about to have special time for what was about to happen (or expect to happen).

More backstory for the female Kai of her life and look like she is a very suicidal which isn't a good thing consider who she was with at that time of the show (male Kai) as he was about to take an opportunity to fuck her like a restless dog in heat.

Also, introduce another character in the show. Can't really say much as all I know is he is a biker gang and have a family. I am guessing he might be the next person to come into the game.

The old lady from the 1st episode is back here with her grandchildren. I am guessing they is something important of her as you kinda have a small explanation few episode before hand. Wondering what will happen to her or her grandchildren.

Look like they is more info of Masaru backstory. The woman who bitch at him isn't his step mom by her aunt. I guess his parent is maybe death and they have to go to his aunt because of this who isn't please at them (beating his younger brother for god sake).

I guess we can discuss how the creator have set up this entire episode which is basically the MC was about to have sex with female Kai. A very clever way to build it up in the entire episode and then throw a curve ball at us when you found out she isn't ready for it that night. Will give a FU at the creator and also a smart move to piss the audience a bit.

Like I say, nothing much to discuss here. More backstory and maybe a new character but nothing really push the plot of the show at all for now.

Female Kei : 17 scenes
Random girl: 1 scene

Cornbread78

For Cornbread78, man...you manage to get more people to watch Clannad. I guess once I finish few more anime in my backlogged, I will most likely watch it (or you start forcing me to watch it asap).

Yeah, you need to get on that ASAP. It's a very worthwhile experience, IMO.

I really want SAO to finish at some point so I can binge it all at once. Now that's some good ironic trash to watch, although I'd probably have to share the pain with someone.

Might as well start now. It will be at least another year before we even start to see anything on season 3. They have to get that movie out there first...

Russ T

Banned
I can't get out of the video games and western television loop! I finally decided it was time to play Uncharted (never played one before, about to finish the first game), and I also got caught up on Supernatural (at least what's on Netflix) and Dark Matter and now I'm catching up on Person of Interest. None of that is anime!!!

Natsuyuki Rendezvous was pretty good, though. I liked that one.

phaze

Bungou Stray Dogs 10

You know Akutagawa, we really are Bungou Stray Dogs.

Is there a better ingredient for a hot blooded shounen then mc that spills said hot blood with awe inducing frequency ? I think not.
ap89ydtexzvi.png

But really, some good action, A tier shots wrapped around DTL love triangle and bonus hetero love story. Even Dazai managed to sneak a few nice lines in the little time that was allotted to him. Probably my favourite episode so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom