• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those who care, the staff of the upcoming Digimon Universe: Appli Monsters anime has been revealed:

Director: Gou Koda (DokiDoki Precure)
Series Composition: Yoichi Kato (Aikatsu, Youkai Watch)
Character Design: Kenichi Ohnuki (Gundam Build Fighters)

Not really familiar with the works of any of these staff members, but I at least like the Digimon designs. I'm remaining cautiously hopeful about the show.

Cornbread78

Fullmetal Alchemist:B ep.20
[
oNNFqfh.jpg

Edward you genius, but man what a miserable scene to watch as he
dug up his mother's burial site and discovered it really wasn't her remains and he didn't kill her twice.
Still an awful scene, but the moment with his master and her husband made it especially worthwhile.... Also, Winry, you're starting to see Edward a little differently now, aren't ya?

Cornbread78

Fullmetal Alchemist:B ep.21
feOMmF1.png

It got real nasty towards the end there, but the above scene was pretty funny as Edward teased Colonel Mustang. The action is heating up also as they unravel all the humocculus mystery as well. I really hope they get to kill the fatty next episode...

Rightfully call it out as me being nationalistic about this, but that instrument was not a Koto. 'tis called Kantele, which is the most Finnish instrument one could possibly imagine. Our local folklore equivalent of Gandalf (well,it was actually Kalevala that influenced the creation of the Lord of the Rings but w/e) had one fashioned from the jawbones of giant pike. The BGM itself played during the mini-operation of taking out the Karl is an old, folksy Finnish song, Säkkijärven Polkka.
Thanks, I didn't know this. It looked a little like a koto so I assumed that's what it was, but I guess not. I know I'm not a music fan, but I would have liked less of her playing it, and more of an actual introduction to the team, instead of the pretty much nothing they have...

2 of the girls were casually namedropped during the action, but their names were actually male. Mika and Mikko are both 100% male Finnish names that reaaaaally don't work for females on any possible level, except ofc this is all still happening in Japan where both names are fully functional feminine names, go figure. Some Wiki-ing revealed the loader/gunner being named Aki, which makes her much the same with the other two.
That kind of thing is weird, yes. But don't some people at these themed schools have Japanese names? Or are they just Japanese people taking on names themed for the school they're attending, is that the idea? I've generally thought that that's it.

The presence of the Finnic team in the movie seems to be a continued proof of the weird mutual cultural boner between Finns and Japanese, plus I guess they wanted to get the last of the Axis states included in the movie, despite the fact we got all our tanks from other countries.
All? Unless Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, Croatia, and such are included somewhere I don't know about, it's not actually ALL. I know Japan likes Finland for whatever reason and always includes them in this kind of thing (also see Strike Witches), but those others are always forgotten... though the Serbs certainly remember how horrible the Croatian WWII state was.

The BT-42 was a horrible scratch-built and welded compromise vehicle used as a desperate stopgap measure to help combat the overwhelming difference between the tank arsenal of Finland and the Soviets. A failed one at that, as the BT-42s didn't achieve shit, unlike in this movie :p
Heh... yeah, I did look up the tank after watching the movie, and it sounds like it was near-useless in reality, quite different from the really useful, tough tank of the film... :)

So I have no idea what that form is for, but I assumed it was a transfer form to get back to Maho's school since everyone was going to be sent their to different places.
We don't know where they were going to transfer to, it was never mentioned. I didn't have an assumption like that while watching it, it more seemed like they were just hoping that somehow the President would save the school somehow... and whatever school was on that form, it wasn't important enough to mention. You think she'd go back to Black Forest Academy? I don't know about that, she wasn't happy there...

But even without that assumption, it looks like the mother knew that Miho was there all along, but things were just awkward to the point where they couldn't or didn't want to see each other, so Maho was just the one smoothing things over between them.
I don't know, you think the mother knew? I wasn't sure if she knew or not, and I thought that Maho's "ssh" motion when Miho asked about how it got stamped was a 'well I just did it without asking mother' sign... you think she maybe actually told their mother, but then didn't tell Miho about that? I don't know, that seems unlikely to me. I mean, if the mother actually was that okay with reconciling while Miho was there, even given Miho's issues with her mother, I'd think Maho would in some way broach the subject while Miho was home, but she didn't.

The fact that the mother helps save Miho's school is a way for her to acknowledge that Miho's way of driving tanks is as effective as their own family tank tradition, so she wants to let her keep developing on her own without being forced to come back home against her will.

But yes, I still would have liked to see a scene with them in the same room at least. Even if it was in the credits. lol
Well, Maho was at the match as well, so the mother has the out of potentially saying that she was really there to watch Maho and not Miho, I guess, had the issue come up... but yes, that she helped save Miho's school was avery good sign, regardless of her excuse for why. That's the main reason I was disappointed when there wasn't a scene in the ending between the two of them, that set me up to expect more, and it didn't happen.

I'm of the mind that an S2 of GuP is inevitable so if they're going to have any closure with the family they'll put it there or in a second movie.

I don't really have anything to base this off other than that the movie was hella successful, but still.
Well, that the movie was quite successful definitely is a good sign for the franchise continuing, but it isn't any kind of guarantee. I'd love to see an S2 of course though, yes. The series is good, and that ending probably was incomplete on purpose...

I'm sure it's inevitable. Gotta milk that cow while it's still producing!

This time they have to save Maho's school from closing and Miho is the only one who can do it. lol
Here's hoping there is a S2, but come up with a better plot than "a revision of the same thing again" would be my suggestion. :p

Jintor

That kind of thing is weird, yes. But don't some people at these themed schools have Japanese names? Or are they just Japanese people taking on names themed for the school they're attending, is that the idea? I've generally thought that that's it.

The ones that have weird names are mostly nicknames. Black Forest girls tend to stick to their Japanese names for instance, but Darjaleen, Assam et al at St. Gloriana are, I dunno, soul names or whatever. Anzio's Il Duce Anchovy is actually Anzai Chiyomi, for instance.

All? Unless Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, Croatia, and such are included somewhere I don't know about, it's not actually ALL. I know Japan likes Finland for whatever reason and always includes them in this kind of thing (also see Strike Witches), but those others are always forgotten... though the Serbs certainly remember how horrible the Croatian WWII state was.

There are a few more that aren't mentioned in-show (some briefly visible on the Tournament Board in that first round, others are expanded universe material).

Yogurt Academy = Bulgaria
Waffle Academy = Belgium
Count High = Hungary/Romania
Maple High = Canada
Koala Forest = Australia/ANZAC
BC Free = Vichy France and Free France
Magnoit Line = Early France
Blue Division = Spain
Viking Marine High = Norway
Gregor High = Czechloslovakia?
Viggen High = ???
Bonple High = Poland

In terms of side explorations, Magnoit Line have a dedicated manga while Bonple, BC Free, and a previously unmentioned Burmese-based school are seen in Ribbon Warrior. Little Army 2 also shows a few more schools, Bellwall Academy (like Oorai, a mish-mash with no unifying theme) and West Kureouji Grona (St. Gloriana knockoff school)

Samurai Flamenco 1

I have to say, starting with a smoking cop stumbling upon a naked guy in a back alley is a pretty good way to open a show.

I'm still a bit miffed knowing that the mundane nature I love about this first episode quickly disappears, but hopefully the show will at least be able to retain the pithy writing and energetic direction that I also like about this episode.

patapuf

I'm thinking about getting Ghost in the Shell SAC.

Are the blue rays good or is there a dvd set that is better (price aside)?

Theonik

Space Adventure Cobra
This movie is essentially a retelling of the first arc of the show. Characters are re-arranged and modified to fit the new narrative including parts of Cobra's backstory.

It was pretty good, some very different visual directions to the series as well which I found nice. I did prefer the series narrative though and I felt Cobra was cooler in the series. The other thing that really threw me off was Cobra's voice actor here being different. I feel the VA for the series to be pretty much perfect so this was distracting throughout the film.

If you finished cobra and want more you can do much worse than watching this film.

The Finnish girls are basically a bunch of non Moomin Moomins characters.

And they are glorious and also add another layer of narration into the mix. And they also reminds us that GuP is a cheater drama.

So despite warnings I decided to watch episode 1 of Big Order.

Is this show meant to be comedic?

*military men unload two full clips of gunfire from fully automatic at MC*

"Stop shooting! I'll finish him off!"

this is before that character knows the MC has a supernatural ability that lets him repel gunfire. And a cloud of dust was kicked up, making it impossible for her to know MC was even still alive.

jgminto

Samurai Flamenco 1

I have to say, starting with a smoking cop stumbling upon a naked guy in a back alley is a pretty good way to open a show.

I'm still a bit miffed knowing that the mundane nature I love about this first episode quickly disappears, but hopefully the show will at least be able to retain the pithy writing and energetic direction that I also like about this episode.
The shift was a big disappointment for me as someone who enjoyed the original tone immensely. There's still enjoyable moments but the first two shifts in story largely fell flat. It's actually quite frustrating seeing people say "It gets good at episode 7" when it throws a lot of what made that show enjoyable out the window at that moment.

John Blade

I love the lead characters design.

I hope it has world triggers composer. (Kenji Kawai )

Don't care about the new show but do care about the composer as I m a fan of his music. Love his music quite a bit.

Well, going to watch Do you remember love and will post an impression later this weekend. Man...love old macoross show.

Samurai Flamenco 1

What's probably the best thing about Samurai Flamenco aside from the places it goes is that no matter what happens its characters remain fairly grounded and consistent. It makes the show legit good, not just List good in my opinion.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Cornbread78

G Gundam ep. 21
PUhs0v0.jpg

This crests from the Alliance are the same as the Kiznaiver, lol. Domon is trying to be a man and battle master yet again, but with Rain in his arms, lol. The dub is so over the top dramatic, I laugh half the time I'm watching this, lol.

jgminto

What's probably the best thing about Samurai Flamenco aside from the places it goes is that no matter what happens its characters remain fairly grounded and consistent. It makes the show legit good, not just List good in my opinion.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
I would have preferred the characters go through an actual connected story with personal development instead of a car crash of Sentai and Superhero homages before trying to give a shit again in the last few episodes. Hazama and Goto's relationship sure was interesting but now let's focus on a completely dull Super Sentai group for a third of the series.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
We don't know where they were going to transfer to, it was never mentioned. I didn't have an assumption like that while watching it, it more seemed like they were just hoping that somehow the President would save the school somehow... and whatever school was on that form, it wasn't important enough to mention. You think she'd go back to Black Forest Academy? I don't know about that, she wasn't happy there...
Maybe if someone else subs it and translates the form (or someone here could just read it I guess lol), we'll find out for sure. Otherwise, I'm not sure why she'd need her mom to sign the form anyway.
I don't know, you think the mother knew? I wasn't sure if she knew or not, and I thought that Maho's "ssh" motion when Miho asked about how it got stamped was a 'well I just did it without asking mother' sign... you think she maybe actually told their mother, but then didn't tell Miho about that? I don't know, that seems unlikely to me. I mean, if the mother actually was that okay with reconciling while Miho was there, even given Miho's issues with her mother, I'd think Maho would in some way broach the subject while Miho was home, but she didn't.
Yeah, the fact that the mother referred to a "guest" for me basically gave it away. I just assume it's a case of them being awkward around each other and not wanting to meet I suppose.

Well, Maho was at the match as well, so the mother has the out of potentially saying that she was really there to watch Maho and not Miho, I guess, had the issue come up... but yes, that she helped save Miho's school was avery good sign, regardless of her excuse for why. That's the main reason I was disappointed when there wasn't a scene in the ending between the two of them, that set me up to expect more, and it didn't happen.
Well, she also had to let her team join Miho's school as well, so she was definitely on board.

Here's hoping there is a S2, but come up with a better plot than "a revision of the same thing again" would be my suggestion. :p
I would have thought the same with the movie. lol

Clov

At the AnimeNEXT con coming up this weekend, Discotek will be having a panel on Sunday. Apparently they have a lot of new announcements they've saved up for it. I'm pretty excited to see what they have in store! Sevakis had been hyping it up on his twitter much earlier, saying that they managed to get something big, with the hints that this title (or titles) is pre-90s and that it's not Macross related. I wonder what they managed to grab? Maybe the Urusei Yatsura movies?

Jintor

the thing that kickstarts the movie is literally 'everything you did in the tv series was for naught', lol

i wish they'd come up with a better excuse than just pulling the rug out from under them

Cornbread78

G Gundam Ep. 22
51EKKme.jpg

Poor rain.. you gotta love how Domon knows how she is the only part of his future he needs to protect, as verified through his training, however, he still treats her like $hit at times. He's also still a little childish, lol. Looks like he lied to her yet again... more broken promises...

This voice acting is too funny...

Baalzebup

Oh, they are definitely all still supposed to be Japanese and their names reflect that. The name choices are actually very brilliant, as they fully work as Japanese feminine names while also being Finnish male names.
Ya got me there. Shows that I haven't brushed up on WW2 in a long time, beside a book on Normandy. Somehow the teeth of time are quick to erode all other countries beside the first official triumvirate unless one is somehow invested in some of the others. High time to read up on WW2 on the eastern front, it seems. Though the side material does cover most of those, as Jintor mentioned.

I would have preferred the characters go through an actual connected story with personal development instead of a car crash of Sentai and Superhero homages before trying to give a shit again in the last few episodes. Hazama and Goto's relationship sure was interesting but now let's focus on a completely dull Super Sentai group for a third of the series.

I agree that
the Flamengers Arc kind of overstays its welcome, but I wouldn't exactly call it a waste of space.

I liked the documentary episode. It's super silly, but at the same time it adds a funny and clever layer of realism to all the ridiculous things happening on screen.

I feel like the show kinda does still have a connected story with good character development through those homages. Hazama and Goto's relationship isn't put on hold in the middle of the series, and the show does a good job at keeping the latter the straight-man in a crazy world with a wacky partner without making him annoying.

Deadly

What's interesting is that these teams are under the Japan Senshado Federation but take the themes of various countries over the world. A new season could introduce actual teams from other countries for a world tournament but that makes it kinda redundant character-wise. Really makes me wonder what they do if they make another season.

G Gundam Ep. 22
51EKKme.jpg

Poor rain.. you gotta love how Domon knows how she is the only part of his future he needs to protect, as verified through his training, however, he still treats her like $hit at times. He's also still a little childish, lol. Looks like he lied to her yet again... more broken promises...

This voice acting is too funny...

I really like the voice acting in G gundam, even more since I noticed Domon/Master Asia share the same VA has X/Sigma.

It's a relationship that transcend the media barrier.

Cornbread78

G Gundam ep.23
WwjyFGv.png

An epic battle for all of humanity Domon finds his true form, thanks to Neo Germany, who is.... wait
Is that his bro?
What is this madness!? I still have to laugh at the dub every time a battle starts, because it is so over the top, but that's alright, it actually gives the show a little more charm, since it is an older show. Good stuff, hopefully, this helps propel Domon into manhood...

I really like the voice acting in G gundam, even more since I noticed Domon/Master Asia share the same VA has X/Sigma.
It's a relationship that transcend the media barrier.

LOL, it's not bad at all, it's just pretty dated and so extravagant, it brings a certain level of charm and awesomeness to the show. SHINNNNNNNING FIIIIINGGGGERRRR!

actually planning to go in early august, anything worth visiting specifically?

The train station (duh :p) with a tourist information place filled with all kinds of goods (get a stamp map if they still got some), Resort Outlets Ōarai where they got the GuP Gallery and the nearby Marine Tower with the Girls und Panzer cafe, Ōarai Isosaki Shrine and check out the anime ema + the nearby ryokan with the room full of GuP goods, this shopping street if you want to check out all the cardboard cutouts, and that building seen in Shirobako (tell the owner you're friends with that Norwegian guy that visited :p).

If you want to do some non-GuP stuff, check out the Aqua World aquarium or the beach near the aquarium with the surfers.

Oh, and rent a bike at the train station or at Resort Outlets Ōarai unless you fancy waiting for the once an hour or so bus or walk :p

Man God

Non-Canon Member
G Gundam ep. 21
PUhs0v0.jpg

This crests from the Alliance are the same as the Kiznaiver, lol. Domon is trying to be a man and battle master yet again, but with Rain in his arms, lol. The dub is so over the top dramatic, I laugh half the time I'm watching this, lol.

The dub is the most beautiful thing to ever come out of Canada. You haven't even begun to fathom its greatness.

Cornbread78

dotHJiJ.gif

I'm trying to finish up the text and images for the summer preview thread, but I could use a little boost. Can you guys help me out by providing a 1 liner for each of the below that answers:

"Why should someone be interested and watch "xxxx" show?"

Manga GAF only gave me a couple answers, so above all else, I'm looking to fill in some of the blanks for some the top survey scorers that TUSR did last week

Shows needed:

• Food Wars! (Shokugeki no Souma: Ni no Sara)
  • Berserk (2016)
  • Mob Psycho 100:
  • ReLife:
  • ReWrite:
  • Handa-kun
  • 91 Days:
  • Tales of Zestiria the X:
  • D.Gray-man HALLOW
  • Danganronpa 3: The End of Kibougamine Gakuen - Mirai Hen
  • Danganronpa 3: The End of Kibougamine Gakuen - Zetsubou Hen

John Blade

dotHJiJ.gif

I'm trying to finish up the text and images for the summer preview thread, but I could use a little boost. Can you guys help me out by providing a 1 liner for each of the below that answers:

"Why should someone be interested and watch "xxxx" show?"

Manga GAF only gave me a couple answers, so above all else, I'm looking to fill in some of the blanks for some the top survey scorers that TUSR did last week

Shows needed:

• Food Wars! (Shokugeki no Souma: Ni no Sara)
  • Berserk (2016)
  • Mob Psycho 100:
  • ReLife:
  • ReWrite:
  • Handa-kun
  • 91 Days:
  • Tales of Zestiria the X:
  • D.Gray-man HALLOW
  • Danganronpa 3: The End of Kibougamine Gakuen - Mirai Hen
  • Danganronpa 3: The End of Kibougamine Gakuen - Zetsubou Hen

Can't help you as most anime on the list are show that is recent. Only watching older anime now as current anime isn't for me or not interest me much.

I can add one

"Why should someone be interested and watch "Food Wars! (Shokugeki no Souma: Ni no Sara)" show?"
The creator original work is into Hentai manga which I heard is interesting. If you like his hentai stuff, you might like this.

Cornbread78

"Why should someone be interested and watch "Food Wars! (Shokugeki no Souma: Ni no Sara)" show?"
The creator original work is into Hentai manga which I heard is interesting. If you like his hentai stuff, you might like this.

OMFG... I just LOL'd waaay too loud in my cubicle...

Russ T

Banned
Hey guys sell me on Re:Zero.

A real life buddy has been telling me to watch it, so now I'm curious what it is, and it seems to be fairly popular around here!

blurr

Fullmetal Alchemist:B ep.20
[
oNNFqfh.jpg

Edward you genius, but man what a miserable scene to watch as he
dug up his mother's burial site and discovered it really wasn't her remains and he didn't kill her twice.
Still an awful scene, but the moment with his master and her husband made it especially worthwhile.... Also, Winry, you're starting to see Edward a little differently now, aren't ya?

Man, forgot about this scene, should rewatch it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom