• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Negator

But Cross Ange is different. The more I think about it the more I feel like it shouldn't be enjoyed either way. It's one thing to laugh at all the girls in a harem show desperately trying to get romantically involved with the MC with all the harem hijinks in Hundred, but why are people laughing at girls getting raped and horribly ripped apart in Cross Ange?

Those aren't the moments we are laughing at though. I really think you should watch it yourself.

Narag

When I'm told that a show that has badly made CG Robots and a scene where a man is strapped to a table and raped and then forced to apologize for it is a partially well-regarded show here, how could I not be angry at it from that alone?

This sounds cool. Gonna watch it

Aki-at

Steins;Gate - 6

Between Makisa crying for no real reason last episode and how everyone
mouthed off time machine one after another even when realising someone new was in the flat
there were a few out of place moments. Still it's been a great show so far and I can already see the slow shift into a more darker mood.

Line_HTX

Steins;Gate - 6

Between Makisa crying for no real reason last episode and how everyone
mouthed off time machine one after another even when realising someone new was in the flat
there were a few out of place moments. Still it's been a great show so far and I can already see the slow shift into a more darker mood.

I misread that as Mikasa for some reason, lol

Narag

Why haven't you continued Danball Senki W yet?!?

Books -> Yamato -> current stuff atm
Summer will be cleanup at last. I'll even finish Shigurui for phaze.

For now duckroll has told me he'd blow up this thread if I stopped reading PKD so in a way I'm doing this for you.

Baalzebup

See, I understand that's not what people are praising Cross Ange for. My point is I feel like watching Cross Ange even as trashy entertainment to laugh at is too much too far.

I'm not opposed to watching trash once in a while. I know there are trashy shows that people ironically enjoy, that's what the List is for. Some trashy shows once in a while is okay.

But Cross Ange is different. The more I think about it the more I feel like it shouldn't be enjoyed either way. It's one thing to laugh at all the girls in a harem show desperately trying to get romantically involved with the MC with all the harem hijinks in Hundred, but why are people laughing at girls getting raped and horribly ripped apart in Cross Ange?

It's disturbing to me. I generally don't mind watching anime for mindless entertainment but the stuff I hear is heavily featured in Cross Ange well, crosses a line. It bothers me that people so casually say "Cross Ange is the best mecha of 2015" without so much as giving a second thought as to all the disgusting imagery in it. Unironically or not, it feels so wrong to me.

I honestly don't remember a single post here that reveled at or laughed at those scenes. You seem to be coming up with a more and more ludicrous view on what the entertaining elements of Cross Ange are for the people who get some entertainment out of it. The teardown of the overall plot, or the lack of one and all the holes that comes with writing shit as you go, by Jexhius back in the day was spot on and Corvos blogpost about the show isn't wrong in that Cross Ange is trash, but it is still just a single, subjective view on the series as a whole, and one leaves out critical information to warp the view on several points made and contains several factual errors (Like Tusk ever actually apologizing for the time he was trapped to the table and molested by the dragonettes, or Ange demanding an apology over it) and weird interpretations. I also don't see the series actually trying to present some of the happenings as "the right thing" or somehow actually positive as Corvos rant implied. In general, you seem to take Corvos post as a bit too much of a Word of God, which I find quite horrifying considering the hyperbolic nature of it.

I found genuine entertainment in Ange giving shit to people who are being shit. I liked her moments of lethal competence. I found the mech design itself to be pretty cool. I found some of the comedy bits funny, though some of them, like Tusk managing to fall face-first to Anges crotch all the time, were extremely tiresome, unfunny and stupid, but actively taking offense at something so plain stupid seems excessive, especially since Ange is clearly portrayed as a flawed character, no matter what stupid platitudes the God-villain spews.

The sins of Cross Ange are many and cover most of the aspects that a show can have flaws in, but it is not some great crime against humanity or even the world of anime that Corvo paints it as.
When I'm told that a show that has badly made CG Robots and a scene where a man is strapped to a table and raped and then forced to apologize for it is a partially well-regarded show here, how could I not be angry at it from that alone?
This sounds cool. Gonna watch it

Worth repeating, bolded is staight up untrue.

You should watch it Nintendoman...

Not happening.

The only way you could get me to possibly watch it would be if five or six other people in this thread watched all of Majin Bone.

Sound unfair? Well so does watching Cross Ange to me.

For now duckroll has told me he'd blow up this thread if I stopped reading PKD so in a way I'm doing this for you.

Ah. Thanks for fighting the good fight then.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
When people watch bad or trashy shows that are currently airing you kind of just shrug it off because there's the shared sense of discovery that they might get out of it. When people deliberately go out of their way to find old rotten stuff from months/years ago it's just this repulsively sad act that leaves me bewildered. Like seriously reevaluate your life.

Russ T

Banned
When people watch bad or trashy shows that are currently airing you kind of just shrug it off because there's the shared sense of discovery that they might get out of it. When people deliberately go out of their way to find old rotten stuff from months/years ago it's just this repulsively sad act that leaves me bewildered. Like seriously reevaluate your life.

Harsh... But fair!

Jarmel

Banned

That reminds me, need to watch Mad Bull 34.

Fafner 12

This is the first episode Tow Ubukata has written (still as co-writer for now), and his presence is immediately felt by the eradication of the purpose prose monologue that every episode until this one ended with. Thank goodness that's gone! It always felt like posturing in an attempt to give the narrative more gravitas, but it wasn't as poetic and thoughtful as it took itself to be. If you ever have the temptation to tack on these sorts of monologues to the beginning or ending of episodes, you should stop yourself, go watch Glass Fleet, and then ask yourself if that's really the impression you want to give people.

Anyway, while the show remains ugly and I don't anticipate that changing until I get past the original TV series, it does continue to explore more and more interesting narrative ideas. In particular, I liked the dynamic between parents and children that this episode continued to explore, especially the reluctance of parents to send their children off to fight on the front lines. I haven't seen another mecha anime which seriously delved into the parents of mecha pilots like this one. (Eva touches on parenthood with the Ikaris, but that's an extremely dysfunctional relationship where there is practically no parenting going on.) I also like that one father is furiously writing manga in secret for his son to read, to give him inspiration he won't find anywhere else. It's touches like that that help to create a more fully realized and believable world.

Theonik

What's old is new again. The sense of discovery and the spirit of the hatewatch (heitowochi damashi) doesn't necessarily rely on shared experience though, there is still a sense of community shared by hatewatchers. That is to say people enjoy seeing people see shows they hated as much as shows they hate if not more because reactions to these shows tend to be more entertaining.

2017 is already looking great for anime.
CkcantqUoAAd0B9.jpg

That reminds me, need to watch Mad Bull 34.

Mad Bull 34 is actually good. Feels like a movie Jean Claude Van Damme or Arnold would have made when they were really drunk and desperate. There's a part where Sleepy takes off his pants to reveal of cluster of grenades tied to his pubic hairs. Also the Predator is in it.

Eumi

Maybe we could just let people enjoy what they want? Hell, I don't really even give a shit about other people's opinions unless they're different to mine. There's nothing more fun to me the trying to figure out how somebody could possibly love that garbage.

Jarmel

Banned
Fafner 12

This is the first episode Tow Ubukata has written (still as co-writer for now), and his presence is immediately felt by the eradication of the purpose prose monologue that every episode until this one ended with. Thank goodness that's gone! It always felt like posturing in an attempt to give the narrative more gravitas, but it wasn't as poetic and thoughtful as it took itself to be. If you ever have the temptation to tack on these sorts of monologues to the beginning or ending of episodes, you should stop yourself, go watch Glass Fleet, and then ask yourself if that's really the impression you want to give people.
I noticed that immediately too. I think it was either episode 5 or 6 that really irritated me on that front (it was about one of the mechs going underwater) because it was so overblown for the actual ending and just comes off as pretentious. That's something that'll become more apparent as the show goes on but it loses most (not all) of that ostentatious quality. Ubukata does introduce some other writing faults but it's still by some miracle a step up from what preceded it. Weirdly enough he reintroduces that monologue stuff at the end, in Exodus, but it's not as bad as the S1 lines.
Anyway, while the show remains ugly and I don't anticipate that changing until I get past the original TV series, it does continue to explore more and more interesting narrative ideas. In particular, I liked the dynamic between parents and children that this episode continued to explore, especially the reluctance of parents to send their children off to fight on the front lines. I haven't seen another mecha anime which seriously delved into the parents of mecha pilots like this one. (Eva touches on parenthood with the Ikaris, but that's an extremely dysfunctional relationship where there is practically no parenting going on.) I also like that one father is furiously writing manga in secret for his son to read, to give him inspiration he won't find anywhere else. It's touches like that that help to create a more fully realized and believable world.
That's something I should discuss but I'll wait till you get further in, as Fafner is fairly unique in how it handles the concept of 'generations'. There's a big emphasis on what a person passes down and what their legacy is. I can't think of any other show that handles the idea of passing down the torch as well as Fafner does. It'll become more apparent as you get further into the franchise.

Negator

One man's trash is another man's treasure!

I don't really agree with this at all. Just because there is not a shared sense of discovery does not mean there is no sense of discovery. Just because Cross Ange is considered bad doesn't mean it is inherently valueless.

Maybe we could just let people enjoy what they want? Hell, I don't really even give a shit about other people's opinions unless they're different to mine. There's nothing more fun to me the trying to figure out how somebody could possibly love that garbage.

Yeah. Let people enjoy what they want, good anime or not you are still "wasting time" anyway. Who am I to say that my time waster is better than theirs. "Your favourite anime is shit" culture needs to go, and as a community on here we should be better than that, and be inviting towards others rather than insulting them.

John Blade

People, just watch any anime you're interested in if it's bad or not. Need more people to go watch Golgo 13 (TV and the anime movie and ova). Watching the TV show and they're so many dumb things happen but it's a fun watch even if Golgo 13 is a dick sometime.

20080327a18.jpg

People, just watch any anime you're interested in if it's bad or not. Need more people to go watch Golgo 13 (TV and the anime movie and ova). Watching the TV show and they're so many dumb things happen but it's a fun watch even if Golgo 13 is a dick sometime.

20080327a18.jpg

Just looking at that statue made me start undressing

Eumi

Yeah. Let people enjoy what they want, good anime or not you are still "wasting time" anyway. Who am I to say that my time waster is better than theirs. "Your favourite anime is shit" culture needs to go, and as a community on here we should be better than that, and be inviting towards others rather than insulting them.

Oh no no no no I never want to stop being told everything I love is garbage. Just, you know, keep it limited to hating on the show, not the person. No ones worse for enjoying something.

Cornbread78

Katanagatari ep.7
katana0701.jpg

Damn, Nee-san, wtf!? Such a strangly toned episode in the end as they
had to fight and eventually kill his sister because she wanted to die. Even as he killed her, he was filled with and displaying emotion. (Actually, it was the first time he has shown any emotions at all. All is took was Nee-San weed waking Togame's hair, then the ensuing death blow.
after all that emotional outburst, we get a quiet moment with the two of them essentially declaring themselves
a family since neither of them has any family left at all..

Just looking at that statue made me start undressing

Such a cheap and easy date, lol.

duckroll

Reported for defamation.

20080327a18.jpg

Okay, seeing that big statue with a stern look, and then a poster with a smiling Pocchama right behind it is my new favorite thing.

I noticed that immediately too. I think it was either episode 5 or 6 that really irritated me on that front (it was about one of the mechs going underwater) because it was so overblown for the actual ending and just comes off as pretentious. That's something that'll become more apparent as the show goes on but it loses most (not all) of that ostentatious quality. Ubukata does introduce some other writing faults but it's still by some miracle a step up from what preceded it.

Not really a miracle. While Fafner had some interesting ideas at the outset, in terms of the actual writing of the dialogue and implementation of those ideas it had nowhere to go but up.

That's something I should discuss but I'll wait till you get further in, as Fafner is fairly unique in how it handles the concept of 'generations'. There's a big emphasis on what a person passes down and what their legacy is. I can't think of any other show that handles the idea of passing down the torch as well as Fafner does. It'll become more apparent as you get further into the franchise.

I'm looking forward to it. Anime in general usually doesn't seriously consider the concept of multiple generations, partially because adults are so often sidelined.

Syrinx

Sketchbook

Honestly one of my new favorite SoL anime. Sora is one of my favorite protagonists in the genre as well, and the slow pace and her inner thoughts showing how she perceives the world around blend really well. The members of the art club also made for a great supporting cast.

The only parts I wasn't too big on were the parts with the cats, which is weird since slow-paced SoL/healing anime almost require cats. I like their reactions to Sora giving them expired food, but other than that, eh. I liked the gray housecat that hung around them and just did cat things the whole time, though.

Would watch more if it existed.

So my funimation yearly subscription lapsed in April, it's June and I haven't been auto charged....... I'm still able to watch everything......

Fafner 12

Yeah, I really loved the focus on parents and family in Fafner. It wasn't something I was used to seeing, especially since the non-fucked up familial relationships was pretty much opposite of the early Eva clone vibes it gave off. Not to mention how they mostly remained relevant and important throughout the entire show.

Jarmel

Banned
Not really a miracle. While Fafner had some interesting ideas at the outset, in terms of the actual writing of the dialogue and implementation of those ideas it had nowhere to go but up..

You have to remember this is the man who wrote Mardock Scramble. Going up was still in question.
I'm looking forward to it. Anime in general usually doesn't seriously consider the concept of multiple generations, partially because adults are so often sidelined.

It starts to become apparent in the movie but you can kinda pick it up earlier on as well. Looking back even the OVAs had traces of that generational component. I think it's so prevalent in Fafner due to the demands of piloting and also how large the adult cast is. They literally can only pilot the mechs for so long before it kills them, thus meaning they have to rely on others.

It's really unique and kinda cool as it displays the progression of time in a meaningful way.

Fafner 13

Well, this kind of blows the series wide open. In multiple ways.

It starts to become apparent in the movie but you can kinda pick it up earlier on as well. Looking back even the OVAs had traces of that generational component. I think it's so prevalent in Fafner due to the demands of piloting and also how large the adult cast is. They literally can only pilot the mechs for so long before it kills them, thus meaning they have to rely on others.

That's another thing I appreciate about Fafner; it actually gives a good reason for why teenagers are the only ones who can pilot the mecha, through pilots needing brain plasticity to properly meld with the mecha.

For those who care, the staff of the upcoming Digimon Universe: Appli Monsters anime has been revealed:

Director: Gou Koda (DokiDoki Precure)
Series Composition: Yoichi Kato (Aikatsu, Youkai Watch)
Character Design: Kenichi Ohnuki (Gundam Build Fighters)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom