• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aki-at

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood - 21

Full of plenty of jokes, Edward teasing Mustang was probably the stand out bit but damn was it odd to see him drawn as some sort of lizard haha.

Steins;Gate - 12

I could feel it coming for a while now but
:'( Mayuri noooooo!

Quasar

Please Anime Gaf, forgive my drunken intrusions, but why oh why does Sword Art Online get to continue while the obviously superior Log Horizon goes under?? Help me understand the madness.

Well both continue, just in book form.

SAO is an order of magnitude more popular though.

The Lost Village 11
CkomBNiXIAAWzoT.jpg

Shes awful manipulating fragile emotional Speedstar like that :(. I wish more time was spent on it, but it sets it up nicely I think for Mitsumune to finally save Speedstar. Speedstar will be overjoyed.

Samurai Flamenco 2

It's a good thing evil monsters ended up being real, because Hazama actually does need to quit his day job.

Just wondering, how much of the show have you been spoiled on?

Because Kirito x Asuna 4eva...

You know, for the show to claim that it really cares about this particular pairing, there's not that much of it is there?

I mean sure, the first half of the first season was (partially, anyways. Amidst all the other stuff) about how they fell in love, then the second season turns Asuna into Princess Peach and they have no more interaction until the last two episodes.

Now, I didn't watch Season 2 of SAO, but from what I can remember from impressions here, doesn't Kirito literally spend the first half of it playing another game with another girl? And wasn't the next arc after it just about Asuna playing another game with another girl?

How many moments of intimacy do Kirito and Asuna share post season 1? What moments of actual genuine affection between the two are there? I remember a few screencaps where Kirito's introducing Sinon to Asuna and he doesn't even mention the fact that she's his girlfriend. Really think about that!

Bottom line, putting aside all of SAO's problems, how can one even enjoy it for the Kirito and Asuna shipping when said ship basically comes to a screeching halt at the end of the first season?

I've seen enough impressions to know the rough outline of how things go.

Not exactly unexpected considering all the wink-wink nudge-nudges that goes on with this show, me usually being one of them in particular.

Still, aside from the shock factor of several things I do feel like Samurai Flamenco's character moments are good enough to carry the show as well.

Cardfight!! Vanguard G STRIDE GATE Episode 28 (EndDub)
Cards of the day were Interdimensional Beast, Metallica Phoenix and Retroactive Time Maiden, Uluru.

Plot wise, excellent 2nd episode of the season, the reveals
confirming that that guy we saw was in fact Chrono's dad was good and left things open to see how he will take things with Kouji Ibuki (I assume Kamui doesnt know), but that Chrono's aunt and at least Shinn know?.

Kiznaiver - 1

OMEyWEF.jpg

Yes, I was hyped for the latest My Hero Academia arc, too.

So as I thought, the very basis of this plot takes a page from the first episode of Kino's Journey. The key difference being that this city hopes to bring people together through people's wounds to understand pain rather than read people's thoughts to do so.

Given how impressions of this show have been, I can see it working out just as well here as it did there.

Kuromukuro 7

Masayuki Yoshihara delivered a strong episode here. While I could have done without some of the pool moments, the main drama surrounding Yukina was quite well done, especially the scene between her and her mom at the end.

Narag

Voltron: Legendary Defender 4

Eps 1 & 2 felt episodic but the last two are a little more serialized which is what I'd prefer. Don't need Voltron every ep because nothing can ruin a robot show like unnecessary robot shit for the sake of it.

Voltron: Legendary Defender 4

Eps 1 & 2 felt episodic but the last two are a little more serialized which is what I'd prefer. Don't need Voltron every ep because nothing can ruin a robot show like unnecessary robot shit for the sake of it.

I trust you to let me know if it's worth watching in the end.

Guys

This voltron show

It's pretty damn good. It's like the revamp of Thundercats before it shat the bed good. Like Im more entertained with this than any other Anime this season. I guess this is what the team can do when they aren't tied behind the avatar hacks

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
i forget everything about harry potter but whats so bad about it

Here's a snippet

*Spoilers*

For years, there has been a rumor about an existing time-turner that Draco and Astoria had used to go back in time and have Voldemort father their kid. In short, some people believe that Scorpius is Voldemort’s son.

Narag

Voltron: Legendary Defender 5

aight show can be decent when it's doing the scifi action thing and not making fart jokes. PIdge character arc is good too.

blurr

There are definitely cases where game reviewers provide ammunition for people to criticize video games as a whole, particularly when it comes to the perception that video games are for immature men whose brains are stuck in perpetual puberty. Extolling Sword Art Online provides similar ammunition in relation to anime. It's all the more significant since, as alluded to by MetroidPrimeRib, there are so few "professional" critics in the anime sphere as compared to the game sphere, and so it is much easier for unconventional games to gain visibility and appreciation than it is for unconventional anime to do so.

I do agree, the situation with games considerably better than anime in a sense, had this same discussion with my friends yesterday. I find it amazing that avant garde/artistic games have a market and some even manage to make a profit partly due to the attention they manage to get(even if a lot of gamers end up hating it eventually). I hope the situation improves with anime but I also think that approachable anime are a start to the medium in general(for some if not for everyone).

Cornbread78

Fullmetal Alchemist:B ep.25-26
This is good stuff man. It ended on a damn cliffhanger though. How did it work out? That image of
Al's body in that other are, damn ..
the show really has been good outside of a few nitpick things, but damn, what happens next? Was this the end of the cour/season? I started 27, but it's been all rehash so far. .

Kabaneri Ep 9

Well there goes the series. It's following the exact same shitty path that AoT did where it keeps throwing newer and newer things (characters, monsters, locations) on top of the pile without really talking about or reviewing what had happened before or just sticking with one goddamn group of people for more than an episode.

It telegraphed the hell out of the antagonist. I guess I should have expected this, but somehow I'm still disappointed.

JulianImp

Big Order #9
Yup, still sucks. More exposition, more boring plot twists and more girls wanting the MC pretty bad but him only having eyes for his little sister. Meh.

Mayoiga #11
Yup, still sucks. Did we really need more exposition? Also, Koharun's evil plot is boring as hell. At this rate, I'm expecting ultra zombie granny to kill lesser characters for some worf effect, but I'd honestly enjoy it more if it went fully off the rails and had everyone unite together against their inner demons because the power of friendship and stuff.

JoJo DIU #11
Decent-ish episode, even though the stand fight itself was kind of boring and had some wonky pacing with all the Okuyasu staredowns. Seeing him use his stand to warp ahead was interesting enough, at the very least.

Flying Witch #5-6
I agree that this show succeeds at making magic feel a lot more mundane than most other stories involving magic do. I guess it's another decent seasonal show that I'd much rather recommend over most others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom