• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wanderer5

Hirasawa is just writing an insert song for the show. The soundtrack proper is written by Shiro Sagisu, like the Studio 4C movies.

Ah okay.

So is this anime covering both the Black Swordsman and Conviction Arc? Like I wonder how much they going to focus on the manga stuff that was before the flashback to the golden age (basically the battle against the Snake Baron and the Count).

Through there so much to cover in the Conviction Arc heh.

Edit: Oh yeah they definitely going to cover the events at the Tower of Conviction.

berserk-new-kv.jpg

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Ushio and Tora Season 2, Episode 11:

Holy fuck I am beyond bored with the final battle getting interrupted by backstory and introspection but this should be the end of that hopefully.

Cornbread78

Fullmetal Alchemist ep.24
VRL3uP9.png

Well it's all come down to this. Looks like Mustang made the wrong choice trying to report everything and now that cliffhanger is gonna piss me off. Edward and Envy are also
eaten by super-powered fatty glutton... WTF?!
that's not right man.... Lots of forshadowing as well with the whole country is going to be used as a
transmutation circle killing everyone
What are they trying to do!!!!??

BIG ORDER Episode 9 – Order! Uncover the Truth!
Ckm_fVqUkAAkhD0.jpg

Great Hoshimiya Eiji, Pretty intense start, why the laser have to be there to cover everything :(

The reveals are all compelling
though Eiji still believing he caused the great destruction was a bit painful since we knew he didnt but he didnt know, everyone else of importance knew even

phaze

Irregular but still important, weekly Jojo questions 11

Spoilers for the latest Jojo episode
--

--

--
017008c9rap.jpg

What's wrong with you face.

You three were literally 20 meters away from him. It took you 3 minutes of awful anime dialogue to cover that distance. Shamefur disrpray. Maybe if you tried actually running during the time you talked, stood in place or just calmly walked you'd make it.

Wait what. Not only did he manage to cleave both the torso and the earth in one go, when said torso was clearly above the ground, he left a vertical and not a horizontal mark on the ground. This is some Tenshin geometric paradox shit right here.

But alright he's cleaved in half, the wounds of the Stand clearly transfer to the Stand User. We hardly knew ya. RIP.
Oh.

Oh I must have remember that wrongly. Clearly the wounds don't transfer. My bad.

Ah I see. I understand everything now.

RHCP is a long distance Stand, they are usually weaker but allow the Stand user to operate them from far away and semi automatically. Those start to show up in Part 4.

Just don't try and apply all encompassing logic to Stands. It doesn't work. There's always a contradiction. The only ones that are true are -

Stand Users attract other Stand Users

Stands grow weaker over distance. Note - sometimes the Stand range is pretty much infinite so this will never take effect. These stands usually aren't strong or combat oriented though.

Aki-at

Steins;Gate - 11

This is getting 2 spooky 4 me. The animation turning bright white as Okabe raced towards the lab to make sure
Mayuri was safe
helped elevate the tension. The final moment as Okabe finally grasps his situation was perfect way to end the episode.

Crocodile

Space Patrol Luluco 11

I'm going to be kind of annoyed if the girl gets the guy in this instance. The good lesson here should be that Luluco treats love more seriously and Nova gets the beatdown he deserves. Overall I actually liked this episode a lot but I fear it set up an ending I'm not sure I'll like.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure - DIU 11

I dunno I wasn't feeling this episode. It seems people are saying its more an adaptation issue than a source material issue but the whole "let's leisurely stroll over to our friend who is fighting a deadly enemy when we could run or one of us can stop time" stretched my suspension of disbelief too far. I also called the motorcycle hosting RHCP from a mile away and I'm surprised none of the protagonists thought it would have been an issue. Strikes me as one of those cases where the good guys are being written intentionally dumb or else the entire scenario wouldn't work.

Also, why is Jotaro telling us Joesph's entire medical history? "Dude is old" should be plenty good enough.

RHCP is a long distance Stand, they are usually weaker but allow the Stand user to operate them from far away and semi automatically. Those start to show up in Part 4.

Just don't try and apply all encompassing logic to Stands. It doesn't work. There's always a contradiction. The only ones that are true are -

Stand Users attract other Stand Users

Stands grow weaker over distance. Note - sometimes the Stand range is pretty much infinite so this will never take effect.

I feel Stand rules could stand to be a little more consistent. One Piece has what I consider generally consistent Devil Fruit power rules and yet the creativity and variability of DF powers has been shown to be near infinite so far.

Cornbread78

Big Order ep.9
Eiji, she was naked and on top of you, ready to make a baby with you,
but you deny her because you want your
imouto? What the heck man..... Then Rin goes
and gets killed
But hey, that ending.... She really is the evil one!

JulianImp

Big Order ep.9
Eiji, she was naked and on top of you, ready to make a baby with you,
but you deny her because you want your
imouto? What the heck man..... Then Rin goes
and gets killed
But hey, that ending.... She really is the evil one!

Don't wish upon the monkey's paw, lest we get more School Days.

I feel Stand rules could stand to be a little more consistent. One Piece has what I consider generally consistent Devil Fruit power rules and yet the creativity and variability of DF powers has been shown to be near infinite so far.

Nah bro trust me you do NOT want that. It's all fine and dandy to have the power set of One Piece where the powers are more simple and easier to follow yet malleable or Hunter x Hunter where there's a 200 page rulebook on every Nen ability but you don't want to restrict Araki. Those rulesets work because One Piece is One Piece and HxH is HxH. JoJo is just kind of out there. There doesn't need to be consistency for Stands because you get into late Part 4, Part 5 and Part 6 where its just "OK I GUESS THIS IS HAPPENING NOW." Eventually once we get knee deep into Part 5 and then Part 6 every fight will just be the characters yelling WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON and its awesome

Eumi

I'm suprised people are even complaining about logic in JoJo. I mean Christ we're on essentially season 4 now, surely people should have learnt that Araki doesn't think anything through.

Well I'm sad even if I disagreed with his reviews. Having positive reviews of anime there rather than the constant weird negative to anime in the western games press was a good thing Imo. Hopefully if kotaku survives they get a replacement.

The presence of an anime reviewer on a major gaming website who says "Sword Art Online is the smartest anime in years and also Flowers of Evil is zzzz" can only further harm the reputation of anime.

Qurupeke

I'm suprised people are even complaining about logic in JoJo. I mean Christ we're on essentially season 4 now, surely people should have learnt that Araki doesn't think anything through.

I can't wait to see people's reactions on a particular stand on Part 5.

Quasar

The presence of an anime reviewer on a major gaming website who says "Sword Art Online is the smartest anime in years and also Flowers of Evil is zzzz" can only further harm the reputation of anime.

You might as well say that the games press harms games as a medium because of their reviews.

Given The epicness of the flowers flop, thats hardly a radical opinion. And given I dropped it after 1 episode, not one I'm going to rail against.

You might as well say that the games press harms games as a medium because of their reviews.

Given The epicness of the flowers flop, thats hardly a radical opinion. And given I dropped it after 1 episode, not one I'm going to rail against.

Weird avant-garde games or games way out of left field don't flop terribly, though. There's way more wiggle room in games because the audience is way larger.

Ascheroth

Yuuki Yuuna Yuusha #07-08

Well that was heavy. But expected.
That said, I really like the structure of the show so far.
The first 6 episodes tell their complete fight with epilogue and everything, and episode 7 is essentially a 'restart', but they're tonally entirely different.

Crocodile

Nah bro trust me you do NOT want that. It's all fine and dandy to have the power set of One Piece where the powers are more simple and easier to follow yet malleable or Hunter x Hunter where there's a 200 page rulebook on every Nen ability but you don't want to restrict Araki. Those rulesets work because One Piece is One Piece and HxH is HxH. JoJo is just kind of out there. There doesn't need to be consistency for Stands because you get into late Part 4, Part 5 and Part 6 where its just "OK I GUESS THIS IS HAPPENING NOW." Eventually once we get knee deep into Part 5 and then Part 6 every fight will just be the characters yelling WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON and its awesome

It's less about what Stands can or can't do and more about things like the ability to recall or not recall Stands or how Stand damage corresponds to user damage that could use more consistency. Some encounters just randomly "break rules" in ways that are less awesome and more confounding like "why don't they just do this?".

I can like something and not like every aspect of it. Things can be "wacky" or "off-the-wall" and still consistent.

It's less about what Stands can or can't do and more about things like the ability to recall or not recall Stands or how Stand damage corresponds to user damage that could use more consistency. Some encounters just randomly "break rules" in ways that are less awesome and more confounding like "why don't they just do this?".

I can like something and not like every aspect of it. Things can be "wacky" or "off-the-wall" and still consistent.

Stands become more and more puzzle like and weird as things go on. There'll be less time to wonder why x didnt do y when insane shit is poppin off. Sometimes the goal isn't to live, kill or survive either.

Concrete Revolutio Episode 23

He's gonna time travel! IT'S GONNA BE FIN-FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK! Anyway, Jiro has basically been morphed into a villain at this point. Or be more precise, Jiro has been labeled a vilalin, and simply met the roll. ConRevo has waded in themes of labeling, and how by putting small barriers between people can have large outcomes. Now, it's bringing it to the front with its main character. Man, I have no idea how this show is gonna end.

Need last episode now...

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure 11

Why use Joseph as a cliffhanger twice? I don't really see the reason why he had to be in the previous episode because he didn't appear today. How did this happen in the manga?

I still had a good time all in all, the directing made it a bit too obvious that there was something wrong with the bike though.

BIG order 09

I feel like I've been waiting for three episodes for "something" to happen. I guess they're going all out next week but I'm afraid this overly complicated parallel world stuff will overshadow it a bit.

There were still some enjoyable bits in these three episodes, like the first scene filled with light-rays and how Rin died instantly, but when a one-off monster of the week episode concluded with the opponent getting beaten by fish (AKA the best way to beat someone) it makes you wonder why there even is a story in the first place.

Eumi

I mean if you just think about it a little RHCP makes a lot of sense by JoJo standards. Damage doesn't affect the user because the stand is made of electricity (think the mist stand from Stardust). If the stand is able to just reform then damage has never transferred to the user.

As for recalling it, it's not really been fully stated yet but not every stand can just be recalled at will. Some stands, like Oingis book for example, exist as physical objects in the world. Others, like Star Platinum, are just astral projections so they can be recalled whenever. RHCP is a weird one since it is both a projection and a physical object. Since that's the case, that he can't recall it at will makes a lot of sense. I mean, if he did, would he not be electrocuted since he's pulling a high amount of electricity to himself?

Stands don't follow consistent rules that can be simply written out. If you want you can go stand by stand and analyse it, but everything goes much smoother if you can just accept things as they are.

I mean, as pointed out before, Heavy fucking Weather.

Cornbread78

Crescent Love ep.9
CnKgZd0.jpg

Ok, lots of bad stuff going on around this lovey-dovey couple as predicted. That third party alien
beat the living $hit outta Tatsuya, for reasons...
so now it's time for a trip to the moon for a sure showdown with her chosen fiancé. This should be very interesting...

phaze

But I was told that Part 4 is where Araki graduates into the basics of writing. And that it has best battles or best battle system evarrr.

I mean, why should one watch Jojo ? For it's interesting characters ? For the thoughtful character arcs and character development ? For it's interesting themes like, I dunno, the corruption of XIX century working class ? For the plot that is a parade of Monster of two Weeks encounters ? I can understand to a degree when someone says humour but I rarely find the one in Jojo funny, more often than not I find it obnoxious, especially when a character needs to scream for 20 seconds a description of what is just transpiring at the screen cause that's what the dialogue was in the manga so let's put it the anime too.

The battles are the meat of this show, I dare say no one would disagree with this statement but when they amount to supreme, Kubo-tier nonsense that breaks its own rules, resorts incessantly to characters taking a hit with a dumbstick, like frequently is the case here, I find it impossible to enjoy it or to care.

Yeah, Stand recalling is something that bothered me too lately.

There are definitely cases where game reviewers provide ammunition for people to criticize video games as a whole, particularly when it comes to the perception that video games are for immature men whose brains are stuck in perpetual puberty. Extolling Sword Art Online provides similar ammunition in relation to anime. It's all the more significant since, as alluded to by MetroidPrimeRib, there are so few "professional" critics in the anime sphere as compared to the game sphere, and so it is much easier for unconventional games to gain visibility and appreciation than it is for unconventional anime to do so.

With Big Order episode 9...

wouldn't their plan die if Eiji dies? I think when I watched that, I kind of just said "fuck you" to the screen (in an upset/stupid shit kind of way).

Crocodile

I mean if you just think about it a little RHCP makes a lot of sense by JoJo standards. Damage doesn't affect the user because the stand is made of electricity (think the mist stand from Stardust). If the stand is able to just reform then damage has never transferred to the user.

As for recalling it, it's not really been fully stated yet but not every stand can just be recalled at will. Some stands, like Oingis book for example, exist as physical objects in the world. Others, like Star Platinum, are just astral projections so they can be recalled whenever. RHCP is a weird one since it is both a projection and a physical object. Since that's the case, that he can't recall it at will makes a lot of sense. I mean, if he did, would he not be electrocuted since he's pulling a high amount of electricity to himself?

Stands don't follow consistent rules that can be simply written out. If you want you can go stand by stand and analyse it, but everything goes much smoother if you can just accept things as they are.

I mean, as pointed out before, Heavy fucking Weather.

In my mind I had already compartmentalized and differentiated between Stands that are humanoid projections and Stands that are either made of physical substances or imprints on physical objects (I'm not sure if the latter two types should actually be considered the same type). The issue even there is that there is still a lack of consistency - N'Douls Geb and Angelo's Aqua Necklace are both Water-Based Stands but when those Stands were damaged or otherwise messed with, their users took damage. Iggy could dissipate and reform The Fool at will but RHCP or Angelo can't do the same? Speaking of recalling, why couldn't J.Geil recall Hanged Man at will? Even if it can only attack from reflected surfaces, it doesn't make sense that the Stand would have to perpetually exist on a surface - that whole encounter didn't totally make sense. Stands that specially imprint on an object (Strength, Wheel of Fortune, Thoth, Surface) have all actually been pretty consistent in how they act. Humanoid Projections and Substantive Stands have not.

I have no idea what Heavy Weather is or what it does. I know a little about extended Jojo lore and events from cultural osmosis but I'm an anime-only watcher, not a manga reader.

Cornbread78

With Big Order episode 9...

wouldn't their plan die if Eiji dies? I think when I watched that, I kind of just said "fuck you" to the screen (in an upset/stupid shit kind of way).

What I don't get is that imouto wants to jump on his D, but then
remembers everything and puts a sword through him,
like, umm, WTF?

What I don't get is that imouto wants to jump on his D, but then
remembers everything and puts a sword through him,
like, umm, WTF?

It makes no goddamn sense. Honestly, she has to be one of the most poorly written characters I've ever seen. I would rather her be a one dimensional character than have a character that literally jumps back and forth in so much (and so jarring) for what she does/wants to do. Even the most severe cases of ADD and bipolar-ness never would write something like her.

Eumi

In my mind I had already compartmentalized and differentiated between Stands that are humanoid projections and Stands that are either made of physical substances or imprints on physical objects (I'm not sure if the latter two types should actually be considered the same type). The issue even there is that there is still a lack of consistency - N'Douls Geb and Angelo's Aqua Necklace are both Water-Based Stands but when those Stands were damaged or otherwise messed with, their users took damage. Iggy could dissipate and reform The Fool at will but RHCP or Angelo can't do the same? Speaking of recalling, why couldn't J.Geil recall Hanged Man at will? Even if it can only attack from reflected surfaces, it doesn't make sense that the Stand would have to perpetually exist on a surface - that whole encounter didn't totally make sense. Stands that specially imprint on an object (Strength, Wheel of Fortune, Thoth, Surface) have all actually been pretty consistent in how they act. Humanoid Projections and Substantive Stands have not.

I have no idea what Heavy Weather is or what it does. I know a little about extended Jojo lore and events from cultural osmosis but I'm an anime-only watcher, not a manga reader.

The real secret is just that Araki can't write consistently at all. I guess I just can't find it in me to complain since if he stayed consistent the stands couldn't be as creative. I pray for you people in the upcoming parts though, stands just get more and more confusing as time goes on.

Cornbread78

It makes no goddamn sense. Honestly, she has to be one of the most poorly written characters I've ever seen. I would rather her be a one dimensional character than have a character that literally jumps back and forth in so much (and so jarring) for what she does/wants to do. Even the most severe cases of ADD and bipolar-ness never would write something like her.

I mean, the show is usually a ball of nonsense, buy the past few episodes have taken it to a whole new level of craziness and stupidity. .

I enjoy watching Jojo, particularly Battle Tendency and Diamond is Unbreakable, because it's enjoyable on a moment-to-moment basis with the character antics and interactions between friend and foe alike. The consistency of the large-scale plot or how well the concept of Stands holds up to logical scrutiny isn't important. I would much rather have a "anything goes" system like Stands than a "We'll give you reams upon reams of exposition on the logistical framework but still throw that out the window whenever we feel like" system like Nen in Hunter X Hunter.

I mean, the show is usually a ball of nonsense, buy the past few episodes have taken it to a whole new level of craziness and stupidity. .

For me, it's literally me skipping parts because I know they don't matter or I don't care, and I still feel lost and it just gets dumber. I think my other issue is that, thinking about it now, there is no generally good idea as to where anyone or anything is to anyone else.
Where is this dam to everything? Where is this dam and why are they flooding it? Are they attacking a town now? How did he find his sister? WHAT THE FUCK IS HAPPENING!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom