• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.
I enjoy watching Jojo, particularly Battle Tendency and Diamond is Unbreakable, because it's enjoyable on a moment-to-moment basis with the character antics and interactions between friend and foe alike. The consistency of the large-scale plot or how well the concept of Stands holds up to logical scrutiny isn't important. I would much rather have a "anything goes" system like Stands than a "We'll give you reams upon reams of exposition on the logistical framework but still throw that out the window whenever we feel like" system like Nen in Hunter X Hunter.

While I disagree with the Nen part, as I feel that there's a great level of detail put into it in Hunter X Hunter, I generally feel the same way when it comes to Jojo. If something doesn't make sense, I can figure out the reasoning on my own. It's about the character moments and the increasing ridiculousness that come from the fights.

Cornbread78

For me, it's literally me skipping parts because I know they don't matter or I don't care, and I still feel lost and it just gets dumber. I think my other issue is that, thinking about it now, there is no generally good idea as to where anyone or anything is to anyone else.
Where is this dam to everything? Where is this dam and why are they flooding it? Are they attacking a town now? How did he find his sister? WHAT THE FUCK IS HAPPENING!?

I think the whole treatment of Rin
being told to back off eiji by imouto, then being killed mercilessly off a bridge
was hilarious and completely stupid at the same time. I mean, WTF was that, lol. This whole show man... I'm waiting for next week when
Rin is revived alongside Eiji
in a teary confession scene where she jumps on top of him and asks to be his baby daddy as well..

Sailor Moon Crystal III 2

Having all the transformations back-to-back is rather excessive, but they are pretty so I can't say I mind too much.

With the limited length and close adherence to the manga, even this much improved season of Crystal isn't going to have the chance for a lot of the character work and antics I enjoyed about the original Sailor Moon anime. Still, it's successful at creating some moments of moody atmosphere and silly comedy, and has some fabulous animation, and that's good enough to be enjoyable.

Narag

Flymv1n.jpg

Eumi

Ok, so my exams finish tomorrow. After I'm free I'm was gonna finish off JoJoLion, so would you people recommend Beserk when I'm done with that? I normally don't like stuff that isn't finished but if it's good that won't matter. And if so, do I just read the manga or is there a good anime path?

Fortunate are those that remember the story of Byston Well

phantasien2-dunbine-snap02.jpg

Aura Battler Dunbine feels like one of the lost mecha sereis from the 80s. However among all the real robot and super robot shows we got in that time period this isn't like any other show when it comes to its style.

Directed by everyone's favorite Gundam director, Yoshiyuki Tomino, Aura Battler Dunbine takes place in the world of Byston Well, a world connected to Earth you still stuck in its medieval time. The story kicks off when Show Zama, a motorcyle racer, gets pulled through a portal in Japan into Byston Well and is conscripted into the army of Lord Drake to fight as one of his champions.

Lord Drake has come into the possession of future military technology courtesy of the appropriately named Shot Weapon( you kinda just have to deal with these kind of names if you're watching a Tomino show). As such Drake has used this begin a campaign of peace by reuniting the Land of Mi.

However like all Tomino shows not all is as it originally seems and Show finds himself caught in the middle of an escalating war all while trying to find a way back home.

bellvine_ap.jpg

The aesthetics of the show are quite unique. There's a strange dissonance going on when horses and carriages are being used to haul around giant robot parts. Soldiers go around using bows and arrows packed with gunpowder rather than just making guns as well. The inconsistencies of the technology however only add to the charm of the show.

The setting is pretty fascinating. Byston Well and more specifically the Land of Mi is a full blown fantasy world. The feudal system is alive and well and fairies/Silkies and fantastical beasts roam around in the woods and plains. The sky of Byston Well is actually an ocean hence the places name and so at times the cast finds themselves in some fairly otherworldly locations.

The plot feels like it would fall right in line with Tomino's Gundam shows. There's political intrigue, unrequited love, people getting slapped, and characters talking to themselves at normal speaking rather than keeping to themselves. There's the typical narrative development of a ship carrying a group of young people as the head across the world. There's the recurring rivals that constantly attack the ship but get repelled by titular mecha each and every time as well the inclusion of a mascot like character in the form of Cham the fairy.

Speaking of characters, the names feel like Tomino was literally just try to mess with the audience as you got stuff like Keen Kiss and Burne Bannings in the first couple of episodes.

The actual direction of the show so far has been a bit slow but as I mentioned earlier there's the gradual sense of escalation building up underneath it all. Without spoiling too much the weapons have begun advancing more and more and the antagonists are more than willing to compromise their goals in order to achieve victory.

Overall this is a fairly entertaining series that on any other day I would probably have overlooked. I'm just a little over 1/5 of the way through though so I've still got a lot to check out.

jgminto

But I was told that Part 4 is where Araki graduates into the basics of writing. And that it has best battles or best battle system evarrr.

I mean, why should one watch Jojo ? For it's interesting characters ? For the thoughtful character arcs and character development ? For it's interesting themes like, I dunno, the corruption of XIX century working class ? For the plot that is a parade of Monster of two Weeks encounters ? I can understand to a degree when someone says humour but I rarely find the one in Jojo funny, more often than not I find it obnoxious, especially when a character needs to scream for 20 seconds a description of what is just transpiring at the screen cause that's what the dialogue was in the manga so let's put it the anime too.

The battles are the meat of this show, I dare say no one would disagree with this statement but when they amount to supreme, Kubo-tier nonsense that breaks its own rules, resorts incessantly to characters taking a hit with a dumbstick, like frequently is the case here, I find it impossible to enjoy it or to care.

Yeah, Stand recalling is something that bothered me too lately.
If you want a series that explains every aspect of every character's power upfront, then Jojo probably isn't for you. Araki could have explained everything that seemed inconsistent upfront or he could just leave it to the reader to accept the differences and come up with their own reasoning to create more enjoyable pacing. One of the things that makes Jojo better than many shounen series is that it's not limited by a large, arbitrary rule set. There are catagories of stands (close range, long range, automatic) and that's basically the only qualifier for their potential. I also don't know what you're talking about with characters acting stupid this episode. Okuyasu is stupid, that's part of his character.

Qurupeke

People should really watch Inferno Cop. It's pretty short(like 20 minutes of actual content), it's on Crunchyroll and it's crazy. You need to understand the deep Trigger lore to its fullest in order to maximize Luluco's entertainment value.

First the Berserk news. Now the Harry Potter play plot.

Just fucking end it now. Please. The pain is too much.

People should really watch Inferno Cop. It's pretty short(like 20 minutes of actual content), it's on Crunchyroll and it's crazy. You need to understand the deep Trigger lore to its fullest in order to maximize Luluco's entertainment value.

it isn't funny though. Like it loses its amusing schtick within 2 episodes, and then it keeps going. Same shit with their Ninja show. Like it was funny for 1 or 2 episodes, then they kept going.

pbayne

Nekomonogatari: Kuro

Meh, mediocre if even that.
Wasn't feeling this arc at all. Once you're used to the novelty of the visuals of the series they stop wowing you and this arc brought nothing new to the table in that regard and in some ways felt like a real downgrade in terms of creativity. Which would be fine if the dialogue and characters were engaging but even then there were multiple times i was just bored beyond belief. Even Araragi didn't seem charming or witty as he usually is.

Some of Hanakawa's backstory was sort of interesting in regards to how she changes between this and Bake. But overall it was a bit of a disappointment for me.

Kuromukuro 10

Pls someone kill Akagi fast.

Also that is quite the way to get yourself out of a handcuff.

Danball Senki 31-35

The Akihabara Kingdom arc was weak outside of some battles. Hopefully the show picks up since we are entering the final stretch.

Mayoiga 7

what the fuck is this shit, these are the stupidest fucking people on earth. I haven't hated an entire cast this badly since School Days.

Overwatch would make good cartoon material, but I doubt they would capitalize on the characters personality and designs and try and make some serious Metzen bullcrap.

The animated shorts are enough for me.

nah but thats what im saying, the animated shorts that try and be serious are pretty lame. When it comes to crafting an actual story Blizzard is pretty shit at it now, what they are good at is having fun characters with good little quips and dialogue things. This is the game that made the most generic cowboy talk in the world "It's High Noon" into something fun. If they were to focus more on that kinda stuff I'd be in. I think a lot of that comes from the outside though. I can't associate D.Va without her being a little gremlin Umaru mountain dew chugging shitposter, and I can't associate Mercy not being healmom and Soldier; 76 not being gruffdad.

But that'd require Blizzard to expand out in multi-media. Hey, maybe the WarCraft movie will do really good and they'll think about it.

Meesh

Please Anime Gaf, forgive my drunken intrusions, but why oh why does Sword Art Online get to continue while the obviously superior Log Horizon goes under?? Help me understand the madness.

Please Anime Gaf, forgive my drunken intrusions, but why oh why does Sword Art Online get to continue while the obviously superior Log Horizon goes under?? Help me understand the madness.

1. SAO is more popular, came first.
2. Log Horizon's material is nearly all adapted.
3. Log Horizon author got arrested for tax evasion, or the company that published him got in trouble for tax evasion. I'm not sure which. He'll likely still continue to write either way.

Meesh

1. SAO is more popular, came first.
2. Log Horizon's material is nearly all adapted.
3. Log Horizon author got arrested for tax evasion, or the company that published him got in trouble for tax evasion. I'm not sure which. He'll likely still continue to write either way.
Wow... The wealth of info here never ceases to amaze me. Thanks for the reply. :)

also season 2 of log horizon got uninteresting since they focused less on economics and Shiroe being a manipulative badass and instead opted to do raids and the misadventures of the kiddie who gives a fuck

The boy and the beast

Maaaan what movie! It was AMAZING!

While simple it was charming and the characters were likeable. There was some amazing shots and many moments gave me a good laugh.

There was one scene in particular were we could feel the power/impact of Komatetsu's punch that made me go *AWESOME!*

Overall I am quite pleased with my purchase and time invested! It was great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom