• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.
That has to be the best description of anime-gaf ever! I back your statement 100% since I could never write how I think as clear as you just did. toxic is the right word.

If somebody thinks that AnimeGAF is toxic now, then I'd wonder what they'd think of it if they saw it a few years ago :p

Of course... Back then Cajun was also here replying to 80% of the posts so I guess that evened it out.

Szadek

Hi. My name is names2hard4you.

I liked SAO. I liked Mahouka too.

Hope we can all be friends.
From now on we are enemies.

JFBirXm.gif
Who excatly is she aiming at?
It sure isn't the lolii, because the water obviously misses her by quite a bit.

Defuser

If somebody thinks that AnimeGAF is toxic now, then I'd wonder what they'd think of it if they saw it a few years ago :p

Of course... Back then Cajun was also here replying to 80% of the posts so I guess that evened it out.
He maybe replying 80% of the posts but 90% of his post consists of creepy comments on the girl/loli being a cutie and making cringe sqeeel sounds on cute stuff. How is he popular among some gaffers is fucking mystery.

Line_HTX

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress 09

DHQwwiv.png

This is the most difficult level of Angry Birds you'll ever witness, Horobi. And maybe at the end, the Gates of Valhalla might have a random chance of appearing.

z2txJEu.png

Blow a giant hole in the wall? Gigantic wide hitbox energy blast from the mouth? In a perfect world, Horobi would pulverize and beat the fuck out of the Armored Titan to the death and then obliterate him with said energy blast.

rXropp6.png

Congratulations, Mumei. You have now caused a complete destruction of an entire station. This was all your responsibility.

LOL at that random minigun from inside the room. And I hope Ikoma headshots that old man who knocked him out.

Line_HTX

Yea, sometimes I'm amazed how cornbread managed to stick around for so long still being himself. Not that I dislike him of course, on the contrary makes me think this place is not as hostile as everyone make it to be haha.

Truth be told, I salute Kiritobread to stay above the fray and still be the top poster while still playing games. I know I razz on him for SAO, but at least there's common ground to be found in other places.

Football, however, is a different story and zswordsman can attest to this...

;P

DOTA is toxic, Puck.

DeKappa

blurr

I picked a lot of shows solely over them have cute characters. Regretted most of it. I'm a lot more decisive now that I have little time to watch but I might watch one or two out of guilty pleasure (and probably regret it again).

He maybe replying 80% of the posts but 90% of his post consists of creepy comments on the girl/loli being a cutie and making cringe sqeeel sounds on cute stuff. How is he popular among some gaffers is fucking mystery.

He was positive and welcoming unlike the rest of us miserable bastards. :p

Jintor

i posted for ages on deviantart and animesuki, so cajun had enough brains most of the time to not quite tip over into that territory.

except when he didn't. rip

As a relatively new arrival (~5 months or so) I've found here quite welcoming, any questions I've had were answered and plenty of folks have been willing to offer suggestions on shows they enjoy. Sure 'your favourite X is shit' is a part of this community but it's a part of every fan community I've ever participated in online. Toxic would be a gross exaggeration to my mind as I haven't seen any of the 'you like popular thing, you are shit' that I associate with that.

Drive by posts are fine by me, not everyone is able to express themselves in detail and more than once I've run into things I don't feel are worth the effort to delve into why. If the thread devolved into all drive-by it would be terrible but it seems to me there's a few dozen folks who probably comprise 70+% of the posts.

On the upside I'm rewatching Inou Battles In Everyday Life and it's still great.
In before 'No it's not' ;p

Expelled From Paradise

Expelled From Paradise is that movie that seems pretty content with being an enjoyable 2 hour sci-fi romp. It has some thematic musings, but it wants to make you smile and chuckle first. I gotta say, for a CG movie, it looks pretty great. The final battle, a 15 minute fight between the leads and squads of mecha was a genuinely great robot fight. I wouldn't say it's a fantastic film. It drags a bit in the beginning, and I wish we got to see some more of DEVA, but it's a fun ride. Well worth watching.

Eumi

As an even newer poster (like a month and a half I think?) you're all lovely people except for the times when you're not.

John Blade

Man....I just doing stuff here and people here are like trying to kill each other. I guess the fans of us want to murder people who don't like our show.

Well, might start the process to finish Grantz this month and move on to another show.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
This week's Luluco is the first time I've ever seen rhubarb and custard in an anime.

Objectively this is the first instance of good taste in anime.

Man....I just doing stuff here and people here are like trying to kill each other. I guess the fans of us want to murder people who don't like our show.

If there's one thing that needs killing it's this kind of hyperbole. This is fairly tame drama and I don't get why some of you act like we're on a meltdown or something.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I find it strange that animegaf could be considered mean these days, considering it was pretty much a 15 person chat thread in the peak animegaf days from like 4 or 5 years ago and we'd run through like 4 OTs by just trolling each other.

Didn't K-On GAF basically spawn from that period because half the thread hated K-On? lol

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
On a positive note, I recently saved anime in the UK by buying both Love Live series on BD.

My experience with MVM's official shop, anime-on-line.com, is a mixed bag. On a massive positive note they are super prompt shipping out my stuff. I got both series well before release. Heck, S2 technically still isn't out yet. Also they tend to give a decent discount on preorders. But on the flip side their payment page is one of the worst I've used. It's the only site I've ever had problems using my credit card with and it also seems to throw up an address error. I eventually had to settle with using my PayPal instead.

Cornbread78

Nagasarete Airantou ep.8
Yes, now we get some hilarious harem hijinks. Thus was pretty damn funny stuff as Rin tries to court Ikuto, but her imouto was not having it, lol

Beyond the Boundary 3

The exposition in this is so clunky. Having two senior magical girls explain to each other what the witches are was kind of funny. Then theres the build up to walpurgisnacht which amounts to nothing except another character introduced in the most random way possible. There are too many characters and none of them are given any amount of depth save defining their fetishes.

John Blade

They're days I feel like people here on GAF want to make this topic like 4 chan or Redit. Kinda sad as this is how we kill Anime Thread.

Also...
119310%20-%20%7Bchannel%7C%23animegaf%7D%20%7Bnick%7Cdimb%7D.jpg

blurr

Beyond the Boundary 3

The exposition in this is so clunky. Having two senior magical girls explain to each other what the witches are was kind of funny. Then theres the build up to walpurgisnacht which amounts to nothing except another character introduced in the most random way possible. There are too many characters and none of them are given any amount of depth save defining their fetishes.

having a great time I see

Damn, that was great. It's rare to see animeGaf all fired up like this. We should definitely have more conversation topics like this, that isn't about one particular person's view on a particular show.

I just hope outsiders read this, and that they aren't "afraid" to join. I never really got the impression that this place is intimidating until someone pointed it out.

Jintor

flying witch 10

holy shit nao. please teach her to cut an onion properly i am having intense finger fear right now. please never cut an onion or any vegetable like this

Oh man someone kindly and gently teaching someone who doesn't know how to cook how to cook! i dunno if i've ever seen this in anime before!

man those cookies look disturbingly realistic

I can kinda get the gist of everyone but the dad's accent is so incredibly thick and he's slanging so much I literally have zero idea what he's saying. He might as well be speaking French!

bees and fingers. my heart is healed. what a relaxing show.

Eva rewatch - 26

Wasn't sure if I was going to enjoy these last two episodes this time around. The ending, the last ~5mins of ep26, really grew on me and I do still love that. The 'instrumentality' and analysis of some of the character's psyche is alright and it's pretty neat given the circumstances the production was under. Like, if you've run out of budget, going with this undoubtedly unique kind of mindfuckery is smart. Thematically these last 2 episodes also remain perfectly in line with the rest of the show, in fact, these psychedelic sequences became more common towards the end anyways.

That said, even though the budget constraints where dealt relatively well with, they're still very apparent and recycling so many sequences and having generally very little animation does suck a bit. I also enjoy character development more when it's embedded in an actual tangible story or events. Fortunately Evangelion excelled at that for the previous 24 episodes and the instrumentality does justify what these last two episodes are. Though, instrumentality itself is near impossible to really wrap your head around and it's not surprising the results of it will likely never be explained fully.

Since I've forgotten so many details, I'm curious how the instrumentality sequences in End of Eva play out. With the strangling and all there might be more interesting scenes to it but yeh, I'll see.

In the end, I'm certainly glad these last two episodes of the TV series exist in this state. Also must be some of the more meta and interesting production shenanigans in TV history.

As for the rest of Eva, or the show in its entirety: It's a damn masterpiece. It was even better than I had I remembered it to be. The one thing I'm not too fond of are the too cryptic plot concerning Seele and stuff and I'll have to read up on that, yet again. For the most part I actually really like the overarching story's structure and how the mystery is handled in Eva. It's just that towards the end that I become confused about some of the motivations and so on.

Mendrox

I bet it's a massive overreaction and the next arc will be good. Show's been legitimately great so far, I doubt that's going to get thrown out the window with the next arc.

It's not getting thrown out of the video.

It just gets about 1000% more dark, intense and crazy, but it isn't bad. Arc 3 is good stuff and the show starts here for real.

Shergal

Eva rewatch - 26

Wasn't sure if I was going to enjoy these last two episodes this time around. The ending, the last ~5mins of ep26, really grew on me and I do still love that. The 'instrumentality' and analysis of some of the character's psyche is alright and it's pretty neat given the circumstances the production was under. Like, if you've run out of budget, going with this undoubtedly unique kind of mindfuckery is smart. Thematically these last 2 episodes also remain perfectly in line with the rest of the show, in fact, these psychedelic sequences became more common towards the end anyways.

That said, even though the budget constraints where dealt relatively well with, they're still very apparent and recycling so many sequences and having generally very little animation does suck a bit. I also enjoy character development more when it's embedded in an actual tangible story or events. Fortunately Evangelion excelled at that for the previous 24 episodes and the instrumentality does justify what these last two episodes are. Though, instrumentality itself is near impossible to really wrap your head around and it's not surprising the results of it will likely never be explained fully.

Since I've forgotten so many details, I'm curious how the instrumentality sequences in End of Eva play out. With the strangling and all there might be more interesting scenes to it but yeh, I'll see.

In the end, I'm certainly glad these last two episodes of the TV series exist in this state. Also must be some of the more meta and interesting production shenanigans in TV history.

As for the rest of Eva, or the show in its entirety: It's a damn masterpiece. It was even better than I had I remembered it to be. The one thing I'm not too fond of are the too cryptic plot concerning Seele and stuff and I'll have to read up on that, yet again. For the most part I actually really like the overarching story's structure and how the mystery is handled in Eva. It's just that towards the end that I become confused about some of the motivations and so on.
When I watched it recently I ended up thinking episode 25 isn't really that great and has to retread&recycle a lot, whereas episode 26 is amazing and actually has a lot of purely new animation and content. The two often get lumped together as if they were a single entity but imo there's a lot of differences between them and a rather notorious quality gap.

I think one of the interesting things about EVA, looking at it in its context, is how Anno gradually started disregarding the story and plot he had begun planning out to get more and more direct in dealing with the things he wanted to address. That culminates with the "no story, only theme" final episodes but it's a process that starts at around episode 16 and is kickstarted so neatly it almost feels planned in a way. The third act of the show is such a whirlwind of new plot points, twists and piles of answers that posit more questions that it becomes something quite intense to watch through. Everything goes so fast in terms of the big picture yet the show has no problem slowing down to a crawl whenever they get into a character's head or something particularly relevant to them is happening, biggest examples being the two famous held shots (elevator & kaworu) that feel like islands within the pace of the act.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom