• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaze

Ouran High School Host Club up to 23
zzouran2uzzkg.jpg
zouran463lmc.jpg
zouran33ul60.jpg
zzouranj4xgu.jpg

#23 was my favourite episode in a long, long while. Bossa Nova's "confession", if you can call it that, and its circumstances were a thing of beauty. Never underestimate the flames of moe indeed. Beyond that, the show's reaction faces was even on point then usual, especially with Tamaki. The latter in general had a wealth of great moments, from his usual despair that someone dares to hit on Haruhi, his peculiar imagination, to finally realising the feelings he harbors for Haruhi might be something else than "fatherly" affection. I guess this is finally the moment the drama the show has been slightly hinting and building to begins in earnest.

Boku no Hero Academia 11

The last few minutes was one of few times this series managed to rise itself above utter mediocrity and worse. Animation too seemed to be better than usual.

With dread, I'm starting to suspect that when people say that this show manages to handle its extended cast well they really mean: "There's always a bunch of plot irrelevant fights for these boring and irrelevant characters to appear in and battle a series of even less relevant mooks." I thank thee o great Kishi-sama for shoving Konoha 9 up my face, relatively sparingly from what I remember. Only now I'm beginning to appreciate your greatness in that regard.

Re: Zero 11

On okay denouement to this arc. The sudden jump into an extended flashback felt a bit jarring but the rest of episode justified it I guess. Though I've to say, I really liked it's first 2/3 but somehow my enthusiasm petered a bit over the last three episodes. Sill decent and I still have faith in the next arc.

With dread, I'm starting to suspect that when people say that this show manages to handle its extended cast well they really mean: "There's always a bunch of plot irrelevant fights for these boring and irrelevant characters to appear in and battle a series of even less relevant mooks." I thank thee o great Kishi-sama for shoving Konoha 9 up my face, relatively sparingly from what I remember. Only now I'm beginning to appreciate your greatness in that regard.

This isn't even remotely true.

Ouran High School Host Club up to 23

#23 was my favourite episode in a long, long while. Bossa Nova's "confession", if you can call it that, and its circumstances was a thing of beauty. Never underestimate the flames of moe indeed. Beyond that, the show's reaction faces was even on point then usual, especially with Tamaki. The latter in general had a wealth of great moments, from his usual despair that someone dares to hit on Haruhi, his peculiar imagination, to finally realising the feelings he harbors for Haruhi might be something else than "fatherly" affection. I guess this is finally the moment the drama the show has been slightly hinting and building to begins in earnest.

I have no idea what this show is but those screenshots look neat.

I have no idea what this show is but those screenshots look neat.

It is one of the best anime comedies and certainly the most fun shoujo show I've seen (an admittedly small sample there). Really daft premise but they stretch further than you'd think and even manage to get some character development in there too. Mostly though it's just really funny

Qurupeke

Wow. Today I realized that I never finished SAO II. I had dropped it after the Odin arc and I was under the assumption that it was over.

It's an adaptation of a shoujo romantic comedy manga, vaguely (but not really) reverse harem, directed by Igarashi at Bones. It's pretty good, with generally well-handled comedy with occasional touches of drama and fun characters.

It is one of the best anime comedies and certainly the most fun shoujo show I've seen (an admittedly small sample there). Really daft premise but they stretch further than you'd think and even manage to get some character development in there too. Mostly though it's just really funny

Aye, might have to check it out some day.

phaze

Aye, might have to check it out some day.

I'm a bit underwhelmed with it at times cause it's only rarely living up to the promise of the first 3 episodes (which I loved) but it's pretty good nonetheless. A grand well of reaction faces.

-----

Speaking of dropping, how were the last 2-3 episodes of Kurumokoro ? Any sharks that were jumped ? I somehow forgot about it along the way.

JulianImp

You missed the best arc..

As far as SAO is concerned, I agree that Mother's Rosario is somewhat tied for best arc alongside the very first one. The show as a whole is still bad in my opinion, but those two arcs were better than ALO and GGO arcs, which both decided to include rapist antagonists because reasons (I really wish the author could come up with different ways to make the bad guys bad than that).

I'd probably rate the arcs as such: Mother's Rosario = SAO >>>>>> GGO > Excalibur > ALO

JulianImp

Mother's Rosario was by far the best arc of the SAO franchise.

Aincrad, ALO, GGO, and Excalibur are well below it.

Well yeah, but SAO's first part was somewhat okay-ish, at least until Asuna took several steps down in badassery to make Kirito look good and the final battle ended up being an overly forced 1v1 with a diavolus ex machina to set things up.

I still can't forgive the writer for not giving a use to the revival crystal Kirito handed over to Klein... like, the show could've either used it in the final battle (but I guess that'd have made Kirito look bad for having to rely on his friends), or at least give us a short story where Klein used it to save someone or something; then again, perhaps that part was just left out of the anime adaptation, but it seemed like a really ridiculous chekov's gun that was never fired.

MR had an antagonist that was neither a rapist nor a god wannabe though, and it also proved that there could be a decent story without Kirito interfering all the time... but it still had him be more relevant than he had the right to by both pretending to lose so that Asuna would get a turn at fighting Yuki, and then he showed up to save the day against the final raid monster, robbing Asuna and Yuki of part of the accomplishment of getting through it all by themselves.

:D Ok I'll finish watching Sound Eupho! I watched the first two episodes a while back and was impressed by the animation already but not really grabbed straight away by the story and characters. Mostly though I had a sudden craving for robots and wandered off.

Cornbread78

Asterisk ep.23
Damn, I should have just dropped this after the Pheonix Festa episode so I wouldn't have to get angry at all the new plot developments right as the series is coming to a close.
Marry
Julius Ayato, Cladia as well, just like big bro.....

You know Cornbread, you always seem to get genuinely pissed off whenever you watch these LN shows about how they don't have endings. You could always, you know, look up the show before you watch it and see if the LN is still ongoing or not, which 95% of the time will always be the case. You've seen so many at this point that it makes me wonder why you bother starting them!

I mean, you say you watch these shows because they're just entertainment but you're clearly not getting entertained when they do that stuff!

Cornbread78

Cerberus ep.11
Damn, she got upgraded about 15 years, so she no longer an evil loli....

Good adventure overall and I'm looking forward to its ending next week.

Aki-at

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - 27

Trying to remember if Hohenheim was this stoic in the original series, I swear I remember him with more smiles and roses.

Sony E3 Press Conference - Episode 22

Great opening, what shocking twists through out but then ends on a flat note, how anticlimactic. Not as great as the last episode but still good fun.

Narag

Speaking of dreams dying...
the_end.jpg

Jiro is gonna die.

And then the revolutio is gonna be over.

And thus the revolutio will not be televised. ;_;

jiro's gonna power ultimapolis with his blood

and they will take to the stars

and the dreamer will wake up

it'll be like the st. elsewhere ending

AnimeGAF I'm still trying to catch my breath from that Sony conference. Sheesh, that was some hot fire right there. You don't realize how much you love this kind of medium until an event like this one comes and takes you on a trip.

Cornbread78

AnimeGAF I'm still trying to catch my breath from that Sony conference. Sheesh, that was some hot fire right there. You don't realize how much you love this kind of medium until an event like this one comes and takes you on a trip.

Lol, I was watching it live in my phone via the YouTube "gaming" app. I think I pissed a few customers off... possibly.... Oh well, it was worth it. There was a specific game missing from the conference that I know is coming, but it wasn't present at either conference today. They must be saving it for their own conference...

Aki-at

Lol, I was watching it live in my phone via the YouTube "gaming" app. I think I pissed a few customers off... possibly.... Oh well, it was worth it. There was a specific game missing from the conference that I know is coming, but it wasn't present at either conference today. They must be saving it for their own conference...

Only event left is the live Atlus / SEGA show so Shenmue- damnit can't even use that joke anymore. THANKS YU!

Jintor

i'm not really complaining, but it's surprisingly easy to get by without seeing anything if i stay off twitter and gaming side mainpage actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom