• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The Japnese Blu Ray market is basically nonsensical to begin with.

I bet it would have sold more if the didn't cost like 9000 yen or whatever.

kewlmyc

Kiznaiver v1 sold 657 DVDs and 659 BDs.

Eh, at least it's an original anime so we'll be *hopefully* getting a closed-ended conclusion. It's not like adaptions that sell badly and you never get the see the end of the story, unless you either learn Japanese and pick up the source material or hope someone officially/unofficially translates it (looking at you Rokka).

kewlmyc

Bomba Bomba Bomba

Damn when was the last time Trigger got a hit show since KLK and LWA?

You act as if Trigger has a huge lineup. Before this season, they've only had two shows air since KLK, and it pains me to even describe Ninja Slayer as a "show".

*Double Post, sorry*

Defuser

You act as if Trigger has a huge lineup. Before this season, they've only had two shows air since KLK, and it pains me to even describe Ninja Slayer as a "show".

*Double Post, sorry*

Yeah but at this rate they gonna end up like Manglobe. Nothing but bombs.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I mean people don't buy BD in Japan to watch them. They just give studios money for no actual reason other than owning a physical disc.

Re zero - 01

K02V0De.png
GA7F6df.png

Yeh that was some LN trash tier characterization and exposition. Half of the time when the MC opens his mouth I'm wondering if he's mostly talking to the audience. Since the writer(s) fail to establish this character naturally they're forcing this awkward dialogue down your throat.

"I guess anyone's eyes would be tired after holing up in their room, gaming all day."

Okay, how about you just show us that? Maybe a scene how he's leaving his house, maybe we can see his relation to his family that way, too! Would be a quick way too roughly establish the guy. But then again, he later tells us he's some gaming nerd that lives alone (because of course he does) and trains himself some combat stuff which apparently really does translate in an ability to shut down street thugs. His reaction to being drawn into that alternative world was also a telltale that this show doesn't take its character and world particularly serious. As he's dying for the first time he's mostly concerned about saving the princess, too. Yawn.

Time loop plots can be rather fun, which is why I decided to give it a try after all, but after these first 50mins I've had my fill. Doesn't surprise me that this show's supposedly going down some super edgy path, since this opening episode tried to rely on some edge already.

Speaking of dropping, how were the last 2-3 episodes of Kurumokoro ? Any sharks that were jumped ? I somehow forgot about it along the way.

Dunno if that was addressed at me. I've dropped that show after 5 episodes. Those still watching seem to enjoy it just fine recently if I'm not mistaken.

Ascheroth

Macross Delta #11

Every scene with the enemy pilots is damn boring, but thankfully the other 2/3 of the episode was great. Great aftermath to
Messers death
and lots of character development moments.
The moment where Kaname took over Mikumos lead vocals was excellent.
Next episode looks to be really hype as well.

Cornbread78

Re zero - 01
Time loop plots can be rather fun, which is why I decided to give it a try after all, but after these first 50mins I've had my fill. Doesn't surprise me that this show's supposedly going down some super edgy path, since this opening episode tried to rely on some edge already.
Dunno if that was addressed at me. I've dropped that show after 5 episodes. Those still watching seem to enjoy it just fine recently if I'm not mistaken.

Dude. You should really go back and watch the next couple episodes, because ep.1 is just purely set-up. I meant, the show hits even more of it's stride around ep.4.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
People blaming Japanese anime fans for Kiznaiver sales is good for a laugh. Be real. Show is not that great. Who needs to own it on BRD?

Mendrox

Re zero - 01

Yeh that was some LN trash tier characterization and exposition. Half of the time when the MC opens his mouth I'm wondering if he's mostly talking to the audience. Since the writer(s) fail to establish this character naturally they're forcing this awkward dialogue down your throat.

"I guess anyone's eyes would be tired after holing up in their room, gaming all day."

Okay, how about you just show us that? Maybe a scene how he's leaving his house, maybe we can see his relation to his family that way, too! Would be a quick way too roughly establish the guy. But then again, he later tells us he's some gaming nerd that lives alone (because of course he does) and trains himself some combat stuff which apparently really does translate in an ability to shut down street thugs. His reaction to being drawn into that alternative world was also a telltale that this show doesn't take its character and world particularly serious. As he's dying for the first time he's mostly concerned about saving the princess, too. Yawn.

lol dude, please keep watching. It's not the typical ichi sekai (or what that genre is called) anime. It's also not typical edgy or shit. It really is good.

phaze

Re zero - 01

On one hand I'd tell you to continue cause it get's better (and it does) on the other hand, I don't think it's an improvement of a magnitude that would satisfy you and more broadly speaking, I simply don't think it's a show geared for you. lol There'd be plenty of other issues you'd take umbrage with I imagine.

Nah, just a broad question cause I'm not sure if it's worth going back to it, as I was pretty indifferent on it.

Ouran High School Host Club 24

Kyoya's previous backstory didn't do much for me as his situation seemed fairly cliche but while this episode didn't change much in that department, the story of the beginnings of his friendship with Tamaki and of his breakout from the cage, to call it like that, was finely written and nicely executed, with some powerful imagery to boot. Good stuff.

-----

Oh Dear ...

JulianImp

Bomba Bomba Bomba

Damn when was the last time Trigger got a hit show since KLK and LWA?

...Wait, was that just now a Wetrix reference?

It's kind of sad that it didn't sell, but then again Japanese blu-rays having two episodes each and costing 8K yen feels like a total rip-off.

It isn't like KLK and LWA were twenty years ago, either.

Re zero - 01

I'd still suggest that you give it some more time. The MC unfortunately does keep rambling on about references that are clearly meant for the audience every now and then, but things get waybetter later on. The loops do use death as a mechanic, but it isn't a focus of the show (still, Subaru does have to die in meaningful ways to help him unravel what the hell's going on).

duckroll

As Jesus once said, let he who is without sin cast the first stone. Did anyone here buy the Kiznaiver BDs? No? Well those who did can complain about Japanese fans not buying it. :p

THjaEg6.jpg

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
He's just doing his typical drive-by disdain.
Not really disdain. There are things I like about Kiznaiver, but the show has lots of shortcomings. I think about doing some longer write ups on it sometimes but I'm dying and it's not like the series is motivating enough to really warrant regular dissection. Just wanted to point out that it's amusing for people to critique the purchasing habits of Japanese anime watchers for something most people will forget by a year from now.

As Jesus once said, let he who is without sin cast the first stone. Did anyone here buy the Kiznaiver BDs? No? Well those who did can complain about Japanese fans not buying it. :p

THjaEg6.jpg

If it gets licensed I probably will. The only other show I really would buy is Hyouka, but we all know that is never going to happen.

Is there an AnimeGAF PS4 community?

Yup I made one for us on the day those launched. Should be up with Gaf-Chan as the avatar. There's quite a few of us in there.

People blaming Japanese anime fans for Kiznaiver sales is good for a laugh. Be real. Show is not that great. Who needs to own it on BRD?

You might have a point if disc sales and quality would correlate more when it comes to anime. Or are you saying Gundam SEED Destiny is one of the best animes ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom