• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Madoka was just a year before GuP iirc. Though I don't know how far back we're defining as recent.

Yes, Girls und Panzer started in 2012. Though if we consider the most recent entries in the two franchises, the Girls und Panzer movie outperformed Madoka Rebellion in both the box office and disc sales. Also, it's worth noting that the success of Girls und Panzer came as something of a surprise, whereas Madoka was clearly manufactured for success by Aniplex.

Cornbread78

I find it funny that I've been playing SAO:Lost Song for awhile now and I'm getting towards the end of the story and low and behold, the main plot is very similar to
Kiznaiver
I almost LOL'd very loudly in the laundry mat because of the similarities, lol.

Jarmel

Banned
The approach stated by Makabe at the end of this episode - that coexistence between Festum and humans is not only desirable but possible - is a key factor that distinguishes this series from being just another Eva clone.

The show started out as an Eva clone but the later episodes (and Exodus) makes it out to be closer to an Arthur C. Clarke work. Would be interesting to hear Ubukata talk about his inspiration for the show as I imagine it would be very different from Yamanobe's inspirations.

Narag

The show started out as an Eva clone but the later episodes (and Exodus) makes it out to be closer to an Arthur C. Clarke work. Would be interesting to hear Ubukata talk about his inspiration for the show as I imagine it would be very different from Yamanobe's inspirations.

This catches my eye.

Narag

The Ultimate Collector's Edition will include the contents of the standard edition, as well as The Melancholy of Haruhi-chan Suzumiya, Nyorōn Churuya-san, and The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan anime, as well as a filler box with art cards featuring the series' characters. Funimation notes that the filler box "happens to be about the same size as a Blu-ray case and can be removed to fit something else…"

What could that be?

Sterok

Maho Girls 19

More adventures in the Magic World. Mysterious guy that Headmaster is. I don't dislike him, but I would prefer not focusing on him any more than necessary. About time the Big Bad spoke. That tree must hate fliers. That is one creepy caterpillar. I laughed at the door falling over. Really lame fight.

It's kind of funny how the Fafner light novel, which is Ubukata's alternate retelinng of the first few episodes, has the marketing blurb on the back "Based upon the anime from the producers of Neon Genesis Evangelion, Fafner: Dead Aggressor..."

Crocodile

It's a sad world where Kiznaiver struggles commercially and something like Girls und Panzer excels. I just found nothing engaging or really enjoyable about the later on top of having unappealing aesthetics.

JulianImp

Narag-kun denwa

The best part is I just finished reading Endless Eight and it's just yet another short Haruhi arc. Honestly, I actually appreciate the anime for elevating yet another irrelevant story into one of the most (in)famous story arcs in any anime.

It's a sad world where Kiznaiver struggles commercially and something like Girls und Panzer excels. I just found nothing engaging or really enjoyable about the later on top of having unappealing aesthetics.

Replace the bolded with anything. People still gobble up yearly game franchises, bottom-tier soap operas are the norm, there was a whole bunch of crass <whatever> Movie series, and books such as Fifty Shades of Grey or Twilight actually sell well enough to build franchises upon their awful premises.

Most mass media is 90% regurgitated trash, but at least we're getting so much new stuff so quickly nowadays that it's way easier to sift through all the bad stuff and find a couple gems every now and then.

Jarmel

Banned
Kiznaiver- 10
i8nbpE4.png

If Nico's happy then I'm happy.
Well that was depressing. It's kinda hard to comment on the show as there isn't that much thematic depth to it and instead it's being driven almost purely by the character interactions and drama. It's a good thing then that those elements are fairly interesting and riveting. This episode serves as a sort of cooldown episode after all the pain from last week and, surprisingly enough, jumps past the summer. I thought they would make a big event about losing the Kiznaiver connection and instead they jump past it.
I loved this sequence for a number of reasons. One being the lack of background as it helps make the characters stand out more and emphasizes the space between them due to there not being any physical objects or really anything there. The bright colors serve as a contrast to the dark color palette in the past few episodes. You could say the dark colors were a reflection of the inner turmoil and strong emotions boiled up in the cast but here, there's an apathetic response to each other and the colors are kinda plain in response.
The audience can also see just from the body language, with the slumped shoulders, as to the mental state of the cast. That along with the use of the cell phones again reaffirms the mental separation between the characters. Use of text messages is viewed as being detached from the other party, so I thought it was fitting that the director used it here as a way of showing the character relationships breaking apart. Not to mention the characters aren't facing each other or Kazuhira and so the audience nor Katsuhira can see what they're thinking. I think that is particularly effective in Kiznaiver's case as so much emotion is depicted in the eyes and it's fairly easy to read what a character is thinking when the audience can see a person's face.
For example look at the above shot, you can see from the smirk and eyes that the teacher is mocking Chidori with the intent to emotionally hurt her. He's a real piece of shit by the way. He knows exactly what he's doing and what the response will be. It's not just him though but also the mayor, with the closeup on the eyes at the end that signify that he's being serious with Urushii and that he's also giving her an implication as well. It adds a lot to a show like this when reading a facial expression or body language tells you something about their mindset.
351erfl.png

Urushii looking sideways is both a sign of regret and embarrassment.
The character art in general has been really nice due in combination of the detailed closeups but also a strong emphasis on the lighting. There's been a lot of effort put into the layouts and framing and as a result, this is easily Trigger's best looking show despite the lack of insane sakuga. It's kinda funny watching this will all the emotive eyework after reading that animator's complaint about spending so much time on the eyes.
The ending was another great finish, continuing the show's current streak. Direction-wise, there's a strong use of color that aids the emotional impact of the moment. Seeing how lively these kids were in black and white and then how 'dead' they are in color, is an oxymoronical use of color. I also thought the shift at the end was a good way of connecting the past to the present and emphasizing the tragedy that has occurred. I have no clue how all the people who ran this aren't in jail. Katsuhira crying at the end was pretty brutal not only in how it was visually shown but also Yuki Kaiji putting in some of the best work of his life. It's a really ugly cry/scream on the audio side and in moments like that, the ugliness helps reflect the humanity in the character.

javac

I still haven't forgot that I was recommended to watch Kiznaiver by a bunch of you all so I'll watch it once it's out on BD, I don't do streaming!

duckroll

Yes, Girls und Panzer started in 2012. Though if we consider the most recent entries in the two franchises, the Girls und Panzer movie outperformed Madoka Rebellion in both the box office and disc sales. Also, it's worth noting that the success of Girls und Panzer came as something of a surprise, whereas Madoka was clearly manufactured for success by Aniplex.

Lets be fair. Pretty much everything on the production level is "manufactured for success" when it comes to entertainment. We're talking about TV anime filled with ingredients which the creators hope will catch on and be popular here. Not some highly artistic personal expression. That doesn't mean producers expect everything to be successful, they can only hope, especially with a market as crappy as this.

Madoka is "dark edgy magical girl show with plot twists" and GooP is "cute girls doing cute tank things as school sport". Both are manufactured from aspects of popular genres and trends. The fact that Bandai Visual is bad at logistics and undershipped the first volume just means Aniplex is better at business forecast and meeting production demand when something gets hot. Not like Bandai Visual never made this mistake before. The exact same thing happened with Tiger and Bunny, and no one can say that wasn't "manufactured for success". :p

I stopped watching like halfway through episode 4, but I'm super high on it right now. The first 6 episodes are basically all buildup, and everything after that is all payoff.

Kiznaiver - 2

I can see where the Kamina comparisons with Tenga are coming from. He's got the same general body-shape and the same hot-blooded cocky attitude. I could have sworn he had the same VA as Kamina as well before looking it up.

I hope the sharing pain thing has more of a purpose other than being used to keep these teens in check and serving as an explanation as to why nobody suffers a serious injury after falling down a flight of stairs and being tased over and over.

Kiznaiver - 2

I can see where the Kamina comparisons with Tenga are coming from. He's got the same general body-shape and the same hot-blooded cocky attitude. I could have sworn he had the same VA as Kamina as well before looking it up.

I hope the sharing pain thing has more of a purpose other than being used to keep these teens in check and serving as an explanation as to why nobody suffers a serious injury after falling down a flight of stairs and being tased over and over.

Takes a bit to get there, but dontchu worry

Fafner 21

The episode started so positive that I spent the whole time waiting for the other shoe to drop, and of course at the very end it did a vengeance.
If Koyo could make it back, at least somewhat, hopefully Sakura will be able to do the same.

What I'd really like to know is what happened on the production of the original Fafner to make them switch writers midway through.

At worst, Girls und Panzer is fairly harmless. (Unless you think it's raising a new generation of militaristic Japanese who will look to use tanks to conquer other countries, but I don't think there's much to support that.) I wouldn't use that as an example of the worst anime selling well. Really, commercial success in anime is more of a fluke than anything you can seriously nail down the reasons for.

Also, I have to say the Girls und Panzer movie has some excellent aesthetic moments, particularly the flashback with Miho and her sister.

Lets be fair. Pretty much everything on the production level is "manufactured for success" when it comes to entertainment. We're talking about TV anime filled with ingredients which the creators hope will catch on and be popular here. Not some highly artistic personal expression. That doesn't mean producers expect everything to be successful, they can only hope, especially with a market as crappy as this.

Madoka is "dark edgy magical girl show with plot twists" and GooP is "cute girls doing cute tank things as school sport". Both are manufactured from aspects of popular genres and trends. The fact that Bandai Visual is bad at logistics and undershipped the first volume just means Aniplex is better at business forecast and meeting production demand when something gets hot. Not like Bandai Visual never made this mistake before. The exact same thing happened with Tiger and Bunny, and no one can say that wasn't "manufactured for success". :p

I'm not quite as cynical, but fair enough. Of course producers in most cases are going to hope for a return on their investment (though sometimes you wonder).

What I'd really like to know is what happened on the production of the original Fafner to make them switch writers midway through.
Only speculation, but Fafner was his first anime, wasn't it? He does mention in the afterword of the novel version that he felt like an amateur in anime production at the time, so maybe that caused some issues.

Narag

Q: "What does Inferno Cop think of people who drink just ice?"
A: Translator tries to explain the joke, and the panelists start laughing hysterically, almost falling out of their chairs
A: "That is best question we've heard in the last two, no, THREE years."
A: "I don't know, but we're definitely going to use that in the next short."
A: "Here, take three marshmallows."

too good

Q: If you could take any anime and change it to make it more TRIGGER-esque, what would it be and what would you change?

A: "It would be Toy Story. We would give everyone transformation scenes and Buzz Lightyear would have a secret special move and yell a lot." This yelling was then demonstrated.

amazing

Quasar

So Kuromakuro starts July 1st outside Japan.

Guess that means given its a still airing 2 cour show that both it wont be dubbed and it will be a week to week thing like Netflix does with some live action shows from Japan.

Line_HTX

duckroll

I'm not quite as cynical, but fair enough. Of course producers in most cases are going to hope for a return on their investment (though sometimes you wonder).

Is it cynical though? I mean that's just acknowledging the reality of the business. I think it would be hypocritical to say that Madoka is somehow a less "creative" work in any way because it was "engineered" to be successful. In entertainment there is always compromise between the business of meeting popular demand and individual artistic expression. Putting Girls und Panzer on a pedestal while sneering at Madoka just seems silly to me.

I like both shows, although Madoka definitely suffers more in the test of time because it is a series which relies a lot on shock value and plot twists. But that's a critique of the actual content and execution, and not that it was "created to make money" like that's some dirty word. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom