• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
You might have a point if disc sales and quality would correlate more when it comes to anime. Or are you saying Gundam SEED Destiny is one of the best animes ever?
It's a matter of expectations. If actual great anime does not always sell why would Kiznaiver?

phaze

Huh, Ouran's High School Host Club denouement doesn't feel very definitive. Did it adapt just part of the manga and slapped an anime original ending at the hmmm end ?

Edit: Well duh, manga ended in 2010, anime is from 2006

That has a lot better chance of being good then an Attack on Titan or Full Metal Alchemist movie. They just have to make sure the Kagune CGI isn't terrible.

It will be

Oh yeah, count on it.

Come to think of it, maybe it means (if Terra Formars is anything to go by) that :re anime is coming too.

Yup he's not wrong, the whole show has about 4 episodes of good material and the rest is the most bland of repetitive filler. I felt less pandered to by Qwaser than this thing

Jex

[On Kiznaiver's very low BD/DVD sales]
Not really disdain. There are things I like about Kiznaiver, but the show has lots of shortcomings. I think about doing some longer write ups on it sometimes but I'm dying and it's not like the series is motivating enough to really warrant regular dissection. Just wanted to point out that it's amusing for people to critique the purchasing habits of Japanese anime watchers for something most people will forget by a year from now.

Even though I feel like you are essentially kicking someone when they're down I can't really disagree with your assessment. I say that as someone who has enjoyed and defended the show since the first episode aired.

I believe that the shows greatest strengths are it's attractive visuals, effective direction and it's emotionally engaging characters. However, I don't think that it really excels in those areas to the point of being a "great anime".

For example, the lighting might be Hyouka-eseque but you could hardly accuse the overall production quality of the series to be anywhere near the level of a KyoAni series. The direction, will being very effective is hardly as inspired or memorable as a Ping Pong or a Flowers of Evil. And so on and so forth.

Moreover, while I'm certainly really hooked on the show to the point where I am eagerly the airing of each episode, I can acknowledge that the shows appeal is somewhat transient. It hardly engages with any kind of fundamental human experience or weighty theme to the degree that the show will have some kind of fundamental resonance and appeal a decade from now.

Still, that said, I feel like the show is still very good and I am sad to see that it hasn't sold well. It probably doesn't help that it's a wholly original IP as well as being a show without a traditional 'hook'. The Kiznaiver system, as it was originally conceived, was a hook for a shounen-battle series. At the very least, that kind of work has a built-in audience that it might have appealed to. Yet, in it's current form, Kiznaiver doesn't really play into the particular needs of any traditional otaku audience. It's essentially a character drama about teenage relationships but it's dressed in such bizarre garb that it probably repels those looking for a traditional drama. I could not tell you which "market" the show is for and, unsurprisingly, it appear to be for no-one.

Personally, I don't think Kiznaiver compares unfavorably to my favorite anime throughout history. That's just my tastes, of course, and it won't have the enduring popularity of Cowboy Bebop or even Attack on Titan, but I confess I consult myself about the anime I remember more than I consult anime fans at large.

Of course, Kiznaiver still has two more episodes to go and it could still muck things up where I end up as dissatisfied with it as I am with many of the 2013 anime I've been watching lately (From the New World, Kyousougiga, Gundam Build Fighters). So I'm not going to lay down a final opinion on it until it's over.

I mean, I'm not terribly surprised by Kiznaiver's sales.

Off the top of my head, wholly original anime seem to sell poorly. Death Parade, Rolling Girls, Punch Line, Concrete Revolutio, Kiznaiver. All either bombs or very light sales.

I think the most successful original anime in recent years was Aldnoah.Zero. Look at that, and know despair.

Jex

Personally, I don't think Kiznaiver compares unfavorably to my favorite anime throughout history. That's just my tastes, of course, and it won't have the enduring popularity of Cowboy Bebop or even Attack on Titan, but I confess I consult myself about the anime I remember more than I consult anime fans at large.

Of course, Kiznaiver still has two more episodes to go and it could still muck things up where I end up as dissatisfied with it as I am with many of the 2013 anime I've been watching lately (From the New World, Kyousougiga, Gundam Build Fighters). So I'm not going to lay down a final opinion on it until it's over.

You're certainly right to point out that there is an inherent folly in trying to assess a work before it's complete (or even trying to assess a work's potential place in history while it's airing) and I've actually found Kiznaiver to be a series which has resonated more strongly with me with each passing week.

(Also, if nothing else, Kiznaiver has one of my favourite OP's of all time and I feel pretty comfortable about calling that now. It's just perfect).

Off the top of my head, wholly original anime seem to sell poorly. Death Parade, Rolling Girls, Punch Line, Concrete Revolutio, Kiznaiver. All either bombs or very light sales.

I think the most successful original anime in recent years was Aldnoah.Zero. Look at that, and know despair.

No, the most successful original anime in recent years is easily Girls und Panzer. That franchise is wildly successful and only seems to be getting more popular with time, confounding the usual life cycle of these things. (Symphogear would be another original anime that has only become more successful and popular over time.)

Other than that, a notable recent success is Osomatsu-san, which while not wholly original as it draws inspiration from the Osomatsu-kun manga, isn't an adaptation of that manga or anything else and is essentially a new franchise which has gained a massive following with a primarily female fanbase.

(Also, if nothing else, Kiznaiver has one of my favourite OP's of all time and I feel pretty comfortable about calling that now. It's just perfect).

Agreed.

One thing I really like about Kiznaiver's OP is that it contains multiple narrative and thematic connections with the show proper, and so when I watch it I am reminded of why I love the show. It is similar to Garo the Animation OP 1 in that regard. Contrast this with the Un-Go OP, which is quite good in itself but which is attached to a bad show, or even the Ping Pong OP, which is visually fantastic and attached to a good show but which doesn't have any significant connections with the show that reminds me of why I like it.

Cornbread78

How did Charlotte and Plastic Memories do as Original anime series?

Line_HTX

017065kxrtq.jpg

Kiznaiver v1 sold 657 DVDs and 659 BDs.

SMH, people have no appreciation for trying to be different. They probably prefer Imaishi style of story instead.

Bad tastes everywhere.

No, the most successful original anime in recent years is easily Girls und Panzer. That franchise is wildly successful and only seems to be getting more popular with time, confounding the usual life cycle of these things. (Symphogear would be another original anime that has only become more successful and popular over time.)

Other than that, a notable recent success is Osomatsu-san, which while not wholly original as it draws inspiration from the Osomatsu-kun manga, isn't an adaptation of that manga or anything else and is essentially a new franchise which has gained a massive following with a primarily female fanbase.

Agreed.

Oh right, man, how did I forget about Girl and Panzer?

Also, I agree, Kiznaiver's opening is fantastic.

How did Charlotte and Plastic Memories do as Original anime series?

Plastic Memories had pretty tepid sales. Charlotte was actually a surprising success.

Huh, Ouran's High School Host Club denouement doesn't feel very definitive. Did it adapt just part of the manga and slapped an anime original ending at the hmmm end ?

Edit: Well duh, manga ended in 2010, anime is from 2006

The last two episode of the Ouran anime are an anime-original ending, which isn't that great. Although I've heard the manga ending isn't too hot either.

Mokoi

Banned
I would search for this myself; however, I kind of need to remember soon.

There is this show that has a training montage gymanst with a robot in it. Would any of yall know what it is I'm thinking of, but cannot name?

phaze

The last two episode of the Ouran anime are an anime-original ending, which isn't that great. Although I've heard the manga ending isn't too hot either.

I liked it well enough but it definitely felt that way. I don't think I can even call it a reverse harem now lol Despite it bubbling under the surface here and there, it never quite went anywhere with the lovey dovey stuff

I would search for this myself; however, I kind of need to remember soon.

There is this show that has a training montage with a robot in it. Would any of yall know what it is I'm thinking of, but cannot name?

Gunbuster ?

Cornbread78

Plastic Memories had pretty tepid sales. Charlotte was actually a surprising success.

You can check out here to see more or less how a show sold.

Nice Site with some cool info:

Charlotte 2015 Summer: 7,245
Plastic Memories 2015 Spring: 1,977
Ore Monogatari!! 2015 Spring: 711
AIR 2005 Winter 25,181
Angel Beats! 2010 Spring 41,638
Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai 2011 Spring 42,196
Barakamon 2014 Summer 6,792
Bakemonogatari 2009 Summer 112,434
Clannad 2007 Fall 32,114
Clannad: After Story 2008 Fall 27,562
Cross Game 2009 Spring 579
Etotama 2015 Spring 986
Sword Art Online 2012 Summer 36,148
Sword Art Online II 2014 Summer 20,707

GAF Favs:
Ping Pong 2014 Spring: 3,772
Nurse Witch Komugi-chan R 2016 Winter: 100
Code Geass Hangyaku no Lelouch 2006 Fall 75,617
Code Geass Hangyaku no Lelouch R2 2008 Spring 65,102
Infinite Stratos 2011 Winter 37,113
Infinite Stratos 2 2013 Fall 16,904
Koukyoushihen Eureka Seven 2005 Spring 22,902
Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai 2010 Fall 30,483
Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai. 2013 Spring 16,082
Osomatsu-san 2015 Fall 72,651
Punchline 2015 Spring 428
Shingeki no Kyojin 2013 Spring 52,052

Top 25:
Bakemonogatari 112,434 Shaft
Kidou Senshi Gundam SEED DESTINY 93,276 Sunrise
Kidou Senshi Gundam SEED 87,280 Sunrise
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica 84,257 Shaft
Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu 77,715 Kyoto Animation
Code Geass Hangyaku no Lelouch 75,617 Sunrise
Osomatsu-san 72,651 Studio Pierrot
Love Live! 2nd Season 67,296 Sunrise
Nisemonogatari 65,126 Shaft
Code Geass Hangyaku no Lelouch R2 65,102 Sunrise
Macross Frontier 62,527 Satelight
K-ON! 56,772 Kyoto Animation
Hagane no Renkinjutsushi 55,398 Bones
Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu (2009) 53,052 Kyoto Animation
Fate/Zero 52,217 ufotable
Shingeki no Kyojin 52,052 WIT Studio
K-ON!! 48,755 Kyoto Animation
Fate/Zero Second Season 46,344 ufotable
Girls und Panzer 44,949 Actas
Kidou Senshi Gundam 00 44,872 Sunrise
Monogatari Series Second Season 42,204 Shaft
Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai 42,196 A1 Pictures
Angel Beats! 41,638 PA Works
Kidou Senshi Gundam 00 S2 40,120 Sunrise

Why's everyone suddenly shitting on Kiznaiver? Did the people who were shitting on Re:Zero get bored?

"Everyone"? It's one person. I mean, I've seen others express their dislike for the show here in the past or on Twitter, and that's fair; no show is going to appeal to everyone everywhere.

Eumi

No yeah, not like every turned or anything. Just noticed that both shows had people really hyping them up for weeks and then over the last few days I saw a bunch of people not like Re:Zero. Just making a poor joke that the same things happening to Kiznaiver.

Taruranto

Nazi Episode #11

I don't get it, who are they to fool with this disclaimer? Usual keikaku dori by Yuuki. Kinda shitty they killed
Miyoshi
, though it makes sense narrative-wise: It was the first spy they showed and the one the fandom recognized the most/looked forward to see again.

In sense, this is probably the most realized episode of Joker Game since the first two episodes.

Narag

No yeah, not like every turned or anything. Just noticed that both shows had people really hyping them up for weeks and then over the last few days I saw a bunch of people not like Re:Zero. Just making a poor joke that the same things happening to Kiznaiver.

Are these the same people or new viewers that gave the shows a shot due to the fans speaking well of it?

Eumi

Are these the same people or new viewers that gave the shows a shot due to the fans speaking well of it?

Seem to be new people. I wasn't really getting at it initially but I do wonder how often people end up not liking things purely because others set up their expectations for them. In the case of Re:Zero this seems especially the case since it has all the signs of being garbage what with light novel adaptation and trapped in a fantasy world, but it's been very genuinely praised as good. Maybe people go into it wanting to not like it, or maybe they go into it thinking it's something it's not.

Kind of interested to catch the show once I have the time, since I think I'd be exactly the kind of person who's view on it has been coloured by the discussion.

Fafner 20

As the series has gone on, it has done a better job than the opening episodes of giving the characters opportunities to breathe instead of pushing them forward under the impetus of plot events. The show leading up to Shoko's death didn't bother to establish the characters enough to give an event like that the weight it wanted to have, but now the drama with Koyo this episode (and the lasting impact of Shoko's death on the characters) was able to be rather effective. The approach stated by Makabe at the end of this episode - that coexistence between Festum and humans is not only desirable but possible - is a key factor that distinguishes this series from being just another Eva clone.

BROTHERHOOD FINAL FANTASY XV – Episode 2: “Dogged Runner”

So I guess Prompto
lost a ton of weight uh.
We got to see a bit of their past,
LUNA AND THE DOGS TOO
and the world they lived in before it all went down. It was pretty similar to the one we live in now!

I liked this segment a lot, because I basically went through something similar to Prompto when I arrived in Canada as a high school kid, down to a T. Specifically the
losing weight as a kid, changing unhealthy habits and becoming more outgoing along with building up the initiative to meet others
. Who knew the character I hated could be redeemed with a 14min long anime, uh. Don't think it'll have the same impact to others as it did to me, there were no fancy animations or action segments at all.

Brotherhood Final Fantasy XV ep 2

Such a warm hearted lesson this teaches. If you want to be friends with a beautiful boy, you can't
be fat, so you have to lose weight and become hot
and start wearing a really shitty style of clothing. Then when you finally say hi to him and introduce yourself years later, even though he was always a loner he'll be all buddy buddy with you within 5 seconds because pretty people immediately become friends and start playfully shoving each other.

javac

E3 week as always has thrown a wrench in things so I'm behind and haven't watched anything in the last few days, but I did manage to finish my reviews but I'll post them later in the next thread since this one will bite the dust soon...I think.

Also going to watch marnie at the cinema tomorrow but no idea if I'll review that, I guess if I have something to say about it I may but I usually give it a few days to sink in so time will tell. I'll let you know what I think of it anyways.

Ermmmm...Zelda looks awesome.

Thoraxes

Madoka was just a year before GuP iirc. Though I don't know how far back we're defining as recent.

Cornbread78

Fullmetal Alchemist:B ep.28
Oh man, they finally meet the mastermind /God/Father and yup he is a douche. I am surprised Lin
gave up his humanity to become a humoculas. He must know that there's no going back now..
Good stuff though.

Final Fantasy XV Brotherhood 2
Prompto is perfect. Prompto Nocto backstory was perfect and then how friendly Nocto was, and he smiled and laughed. I love this episode so much.

I wish we could have got more time in school, I want a high school final fantasy thats not during warring times and filled with "nine and nine meet nine" mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom