• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Madoka seems to me to have been a far more a risky/creative bet than Girls und Panzer. I mean the name 'Girls and Tanks' says a lot. I still think Madoka holds up the test of time even without the twists due to the sheer range of emotions the show plays with vs GuP's happy go lucky everyone wins in the end style.

T-Rex.

Banned
Sure, why not? Could be fun... We can do both, lol.
I haven't seen Code Geass yet, plus I think it's up on UK Netflix, so I'd be in.

Does anyone know (based on staff/trailers etc) if I'm right to be excited for the upcoming Danganronpa anime(s), or should I lower my expectations? I'd google it myself, but I'm still playing through the 2nd game so am trying to avoid all other information. I don't want to watch a PV and end up spoiled on which characters survive etc.

Noirulus

Hunter x Hunter Season - 4 Episode 16

Wow the final fight against Genthru fucking sucked. Getting real tired of Gon's willpower plot armour. Not to menton Genthru barely looked hurt before getting knocked out by Gon.

Edit: Also I just wanna say this arc was great when it was about card collecting but then the villain's plot kicked in and it went downhill hard.

Edit2: WTF he uses the rarest card in greed island to fucking heal Genthru after

blurr

Hunter x Hunter Season - 4 Episode 16

Wow the final fight against Genthru fucking sucked. Getting real tired of Gon's willpower plot armour. Not to menton Genthru barely looked hurt before getting knocked out by Gon.

Edit: Also I just wanna say this arc was great when it was about card collecting but then the villain's plot kicked in and it went downhill hard.

Edit2: WTF he uses the rarest card in greed island to fucking heal Genthru after

I'm not sure if you're watching the 2011 one but personally, that was the best fight sequence in the show.

Cornbread78

No, no, no.

That would only make him more angry and even less willing to post here! Can we please stop pretending that Cross Ange was a worthwhile anime to watch in any way?

Again, lets no continue to blur lines here. There is a huge difference between entertainment and quality entertainment.

Again, lets no continue to blur lines here. There is a huge difference between entertainment and quality entertainment.

And as I said before, Cross Ange shouldn't qualify as either. It's a vile show with repulsive, disgusting imagery! Having a global let's watch of that would only scare people away and kill any potential for future let's watches!

Cornbread78

And as I said before, Cross Ange shouldn't qualify as either. It's a vile show with repulsive, disgusting imagery! Having a global let's watch of that would only scare people away and kill any potential for future let's watches!

I only said it could be fun, not that we would be doing it, lol.

I wouldn't actually consider anything with explicit sexual content in it, so Cross Ange would be disqualified immediately...

Cornbread78

I think doing one for Code Geass could be fun and I've been asked to do one for SAO as well.

SAO will have to have a strict set of rules set in the OP though since it would probably get a much larger audience mixed with those that are curious about what the show is and those that are doing a rewatch so they can thrash it alongside everyone else. I haven't watched the dubbed version, so I would be watching that to see how it sounds watching it in English.

It could be a lot of fun, but people would have to be careful to not continually talk about future episodes with the hint-hint, wink-wink, nudge-nudge stuff, and tone down taking a strong attitude towards others if they happen to like the show.

SAO is probably one of most popular shows out there for "casual" viewers to watch and may be the only anime some have ever watched... gross for some to hear, I know, but the enthusiasts would just have to be a little "gentler" and "welcoming" for anyone watching that does not understand the nuances of anime and may look past certain aspects that drive purist's crazy....

Code Geass is another study in itself. It doesn't have the brand recognition that SAO does, but because of it's "train wreck" effect, could be a ton of fun for everyone to join in and have fun with it.

Both are really long series though....

I mean he's busy with FFXIV and by and large hates this thread and the people in it so....

So I've heard, lol.

Jintor

personally i think if you only watch anime casually you'd be even less likely to overlook SAO's flaws because if you watch anime regularly some of them kinda just fade into the background!

I only said it could be fun, not that we would be doing it, lol.

I wouldn't actually consider anything with explicit sexual content in it, so Cross Ange would be disqualified immediately...

Oh thank goodness.

Sorry. You know how that show triggers me, haha.

SAO is probably one of most popular shows out there for "casual" viewers to watch and may be the only anime some have ever watched... gross for some to hear, I know, but the enthusiasts would just have to be a little "gentler" and "welcoming" for anyone watching that does not understand the nuances of anime and may look past certain aspects that drive purist's crazy....

Code Geass is another study in itself. It doesn't have the brand recognition that SAO does, but because of it's "train wreck" effect, could be a ton of fun for everyone to join in and have fun with it.

Both are really long series though....

It kind of does, the show is super popular.

Honestly though I find SAO's problems difficult to overlook even for casual watchers of anime!

I tried to enjoy the first half but only came out of it confused by the time-skips and the outright refusal of an explanation of the villain's motivations.

Then the second half completely assassinated what little character Asuna had and somehow had just as much of a depressing atmosphere as the first half even though the "you die in the game you die for real" thing was gone.

I mean, ToonamiGAF watched SAO, all of it. They despised it, and that community usually doesn't mind casual stuff at all. How many people do you think are legitimately going to enjoy SAO if you do this let's watch?

Is it cynical though? I mean that's just acknowledging the reality of the business. I think it would be hypocritical to say that Madoka is somehow a less "creative" work in any way because it was "engineered" to be successful. In entertainment there is always compromise between the business of meeting popular demand and individual artistic expression. Putting Girls und Panzer on a pedestal while sneering at Madoka just seems silly to me.

I like both shows, although Madoka definitely suffers more in the test of time because it is a series which relies a lot on shock value and plot twists. But that's a critique of the actual content and execution, and not that it was "created to make money" like that's some dirty word. :)

I wasn't intending to either put Girls und Panzer on a pedestal or sneer at Madoka, and I apologize if I gave off that impression.

Wabi

Neo Member
Re Zero and Boku no Hero have been such a joy to watch this season.
It's just sad that BnH is finishing soon, but at least Re Zero is only like half way through.

Cornbread78

Honestly though I find SAO's problems difficult to overlook even for casual watchers of anime!
I tried to enjoy the first half but only came out of it confused by the time-skips and the outright refusal of an explanation of the villain's motivations.
Then the second half completely assassinated what little character Asuna had and somehow had just as much of a depressing atmosphere as the first half even though the "you die in the game you die for real" thing was gone.
Like, ToonamiGAF watched SAO, all of it. They despised it, and that community usually doesn't mind casual stuff at all. How many people do you think are legitimately going to enjoy SAO if you do this let's watch?

I'm referring to someone that just happens to see the thread posted in OT, recognizes the name and starts taking a look to see what it is about. They would immediately recognize the name Sword Art Online from the gaming side and references they have heard online, etc. If they saw the same thread with Code Geass, they would probably just keep scrolling because they would not have really heard of it at all.

In regards to it's casual status, I'm going by what those I work with have heard and said about it. They don't really find a lot of faults in the writing and/or presentation. granted, a few of them have only seen season 1, but even the creepy villain stuff was fine with them. Actually, the Sugaha stuff was fine with most of them as well, since it was clearly stated they were not blood brother/sister and there was no kinky stuff going on.

When you aren't looking to discriminate, you don't. ToonamiGAF ran into the same thing. They already knew what it was about before it aired, and were told what to expect and were fed before hand, so there was already prejudice there..... Right or wrong, it changes perception of what the are watching, which is hugely different from watching it as a virgin experience...

Re Zero and Boku no Hero have been such a joy to watch this season.
It's just sad that BnH is finishing soon, but at least Re Zero is only like half way through.

I've actually enjoyed both for completely different reasons. The pacing in MHA has been pretty discouraging at times and the anime's reception has been strongly mixed, even though so the manga is hugely popular. We'll see, but it's almost a certainty that more seasons will be announced pretty soon...

ReZero is continuing right into it's second cour without a break, so the excitement is still there, but there is a huge tonal shift upcoming from everything that has been said, so we'll see.

Jintor

i wouldn't mind a lucky star rewatch. I haven't seen it since... I dunno, maybe a seaon or two after it aired?

It'd be nice to look back at KyoAni. I remember being kind of meh on Lucky Star until 9 episodes in, which is an interminable amount of time for me these days but I think I was watching while doing my part-time job which did a lot for my tolerance of shows.

Probably also watching Buffy for the first time back then.

Cornbread78

Twin Star Exorcist ep.11
lqyMHA0.gif

Gif is from last weeks episode, but Benio’s master is the bestest and this gif shows one reason why, lol.

Fun episode with both character and relationship development done in a good way. Master was pushing the right buttons to get them to seriously think about thinks and act in unison. Pretty cool battle to that end.. Looks like bad guys are showing up again next week, so some stuff should be going down again

I really like the pacing and tone of the show so far and it’s a shame it’s not getting more attention. Oh well, good stuff as always and I look forward to this continuing on through the summer.

Oh thank goodness.

Sorry. You know how that show triggers me, haha.

I mean, ToonamiGAF watched SAO, all of it. They despised it, and that community usually doesn't mind casual stuff at all. How many people do you think are legitimately going to enjoy SAO if you do this let's watch?

I can assure you casual anime watchers enjoy SAO from real life experience. I would consider my brother and his friends to be super casual watchers and they really enjoyed it and never complained about anything bad.

So if gaf people are as casuals they will surely enjoy it. I mean look at how well those SAO games are selling.

oh and btw SAO is not as bad as gaf makes it out to be

This is true. Same can be said about the infamous Attack on Titan. To a certain extent Tokyo Ghoul and One Punch Man too, and now MHA. Doesn't matter what we think, we are such a minority compared to the millions that just go watch whatever their best friend thought was awesome.

I'm using my school peers as reference btw. None of them actively watch seasonal anime, nor do they care to look at a seasonal calendar. They all watched these and liked them.

And just btw I think SAO Hollow Fragment was one of the most fun games I played on my Vita. Regardless of what I think of the series, down to a gameplay level, game was fun as shit and I'm glad it did well. To an extent it was also the reason why Bamco started listening to us and bringing more niche games over.

John Blade

More development of the main characters and other people in this episode. Some I can't say much as you don't know them much at all except for the minor thing (aka: gang member who have a kid). Other you start to see they emotional side aka; Masaru who will take the hit for his younger brother for over his aunt abusive side. This get interesting near the end of the episode when he vent his anger direct to a bully and beating the shit out of him while at the same time you can see him shaking a bit over it.

For the main male Kei, seeing the woman he met in the train station make him realize what is about to happen. I guess this episode and literally the last episode is basically foreshadowing of is going to happen soon (I guess the 2nd game quest is about to beginning).

Another naughty nude scene with female Kei which I guess to get the viewer happy to see her package. Back to the female Kei, I am confuse why they is a 2nd female Kei of where she live. She did say something about this in 2 episodes before but though it was her sister. Look like it isn't. WTF.....how she have a twin of her living her home now.....and why the creator didn't use this to have a threesome for the main male Kei (which you think the creator would have done if he can).

They're also another new characters in this episode. A grandma and her nephew which I guess something bad will happen to them and force them to come into the game and two female characters who have some talking scene here and one look like she have her eye on the main male Kei. Guess they will become important later in this series.

Guess, the build up is now ready and we will see the main character to get into the game soon in the next episode. Hope it will get crazy. So much more questions and few answer I have to say now at the half point of this season.

I rewatched Evangeliom not too long ago, and then the movies which I had never seen before. Still have the bad taste of 3.0 in my mouth.

I'm feeling some End of Evangelion today for some reason. Maybe I'll watch that once I get home tonight...

I can never seem to get tired of Evangelion, even though I don't really have a particular thing for mecha, or researching series at all.

This is true. Same can be said about the infamous Attack on Titan. To a certain extent Tokyo Ghoul and One Punch Man too, and now MHA. Doesn't matter what we think, we are such a minority compared to the millions that just go watch whatever their best friend thought was awesome.

I'm using my school peers as reference btw. None of them actively watch seasonal anime, nor do they care to look at a seasonal calendar. They all watched these and liked them.

And just btw I think SAO Hollow Fragment was one of the most fun games I played on my Vita. Regardless of what I think of the series, down to a gameplay level, game was fun as shit and I'm glad it did well. To an extent it was also the reason why Bamco started listening to us and bringing more niche games over.
I should finish SAO: Lost Song and hollow Fragment, one day when so many games aren't coming out.

e_i

The Asterisk War season 1 episodes 1-6

Tight tank guy needs to die. Kirin's uncle needs to die. Crazy puppet master girl needs to die. Kirin is fucking perfection.

Cornbread78

I should finish SAO: Lost Song and hollow Fragment, one day when so many games aren't coming out.

Hollow Fragments was better than Lost Song, but it's still fun. I'm almost done, but my mind keeps getting fried because they constantly mix cannon and non-cannon story elements from the anime...

I rewatched Evangeliom not too long ago, and then the movies which I had never seen before. Still have the bad taste of 3.0 in my mouth.

I'm feeling some End of Evangelion today for some reason. Maybe I'll watch that once I get home tonight...

I can never seem to get tired of Evangelion, even though I don't really have a particular thing for mecha, or researching series at all.

Same here! Evangelion is fantastic but compared to many here I really like 3.33.

I liked how much stuff is missing and how we are constantly asking myself *wtf happened*. You could say I like the non sense of the movie.

Add to that Kaworu(he's awesome), Shinji's emotinal journey, the visuals, the actions scenes and the god damn music and I think it's one of my favourite anime movies along digimon our war game, summer wars and EoE.

JulianImp

Wow, is a Lucky Star rewatch in demand globally :O

But it'd probably do badly if we tried to organize a Let's Watch around it because of how incestuous it is with all its anime in-jokes. I'd say that the humor ends up falling quite short if the audience can't pick up all the shout outs to animes, tropes and even VAs.

Madoka seems to me to have been a far more a risky/creative bet than Girls und Panzer. I mean the name 'Girls and Tanks' says a lot. I still think Madoka holds up the test of time even without the twists due to the sheer range of emotions the show plays with vs GuP's happy go lucky everyone wins in the end style.

Would claim that manufactured by Aniplex doesn't mean a lot if most of their season highlights flop quite hard.

blurr

Kiznaiver 10

Narrative progression explains a few details which are fine but I'm not sure where it's heading at this point considering the Kizuna project has been shut down. No global scale Kizuna system and consequential world peace? I am obviously asking too much out of it. Taking into account these kids were only distanced further as a result of it (at least some of them) and the 19 kids who were affected by the faulty experiment, most of them for life. Ouch (bzzt). World peace does come at a high price.

It does make sense why they went to great lengths(with Katsuhira and others) to make sure they get good data on the system, it didn't work until then. In hindsight it all adds up. It does bring the question if the data they've gathered has any value at this point.

My interpretation of Chidori's dilemma is that she can't reject Tenga over the reason that she will feel "better" because it's not her feelings at stake, it's his. It obviously isn't easy to reject someone and she herself had been in Tenga's predicament, I suppose what she says is understandable and all the more painful for her (am I doing this right?).

So taking the characters and the main narrative into account, I have diagnosed this show with a case of "no idea how this will be a happy ending".

But it'd probably do badly if we tried to organize a Let's Watch around it because of how incestuous it is with all its anime in-jokes. I'd say that the humor ends up falling quite short if the audience can't pick up all the shout outs to animes, tropes and even VAs.

to be fair though I did watch it when I was relatively new to anime - most of my memory of the show is hazy but I like the KonataxKagami gags the most, still find myself rewatching on YouTube

I have not played Lost Song, but that's because I don't like ALO, and because they stripped away everything that made HF great. SAO HR looks like a great return to form on the gameplay side, and it seems to have a lot more going for it. The fact that it's coming over has me excited. The MMO-lite gameplay was so addicting and fun, it seems even better this time around

Same here! Evangelion is fantastic but compared to many here I really like 3.33.

I liked how much stuff is missing and how we are constantly asking myself *wtf happened*. You could say I like the non sense of the movie.

Add to that Kaworu(he's awesome), Shinji's emotinal journey, the visuals, the actions scenes and the god damn music and I think it's one of my favourite anime movies along digimon our war game, summer wars and EoE.

3.33 may be a masterpiece for all I know, and maybe it will be once 4 drops. As a standalone piece in my opinion it had way too many issues and plot holes for me to enjoy it properly. I spent more time trying to make sense of what was in front of me than actually watching it, and it still made absolutely 0 sense. If 4 revisits these plot threads left hanging, maybe I'll go back and try to understand a little better. Otherwise I'll stick to rewatching the original show + EoE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom