• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russ T

Banned
well i'm an idiot i forgot a new season started and was wondering why the winter season thread was dead

Last night I saw Akira in the movie theater. I like that movie (and this is the second time I've seen it), but it doesn't feel like a particularly meaningful film, beyond the glamour of the visual and aural experience. The story seems to happen just... because. Without any real meaning behind it. But it also feels like it WANTS to be more than that.

So either it's failing to communicate things, or I'm failing to understand. Or a little of both.

The music is so goddamn good, though.

EDIT: Oh, also, I finally watched the new JoJo and yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

well i'm an idiot i forgot a new season started and was wondering why the winter season thread was dead

Last night I saw Akira in the movie theater. I like that movie (and this is the second time I've seen it), but it doesn't feel like a particularly meaningful film, beyond the glamour of the visual and aural experience. The story seems to happen just... because. Without any real meaning behind it. But it also feels like it WANTS to be more than that.

So either it's failing to communicate things, or I'm failing to understand. Or a little of both.

It's a 2 hour adaptation of around 800 pages of manga that wasn't finished. They chose to focus more on the visual aspect then the themes or story which was a good decision.

Cornbread78

Netoge 01
Didn't expect to enjoy this as much as I did, seems great. I knew about Ako being an actual girl but I didn't expect this to be a harem and the other two to be girls also.
Someone said Konosuba was better? I'll definitely have to watch that then.

The shows revolving an MMORPG when not taken too seriously like SAO seem to be generally rather good.

Which is exactly why you will like it so much, lol:

3Ke2YgR.gif

The main problem with Akira is that the manga wasn't finished when the movie was made so it kinda goes off the rails and several aspects are under developed. Notably, several characters that are important in the manga are cameo's at best in the film.

I still like the film overall but no, it's not just you failing to understand.

Russ T

Banned
It's a 2 hour adaptation of around 800 pages of manga that wasn't finished. They chose to focus more on the visual aspect then the themes or story which was a good decision.

I'm aware that it's an adaptation. However, I don't think I agree that it's a good decision if it still presents itself as if it has more layers but doesn't actually deliver said layers.

The main problem with Akira is that the manga wasn't finished when the movie was made so it kinda goes off the rails and several aspects are under developed. Notably, several characters that are important in the manga are cameo's at best in the film.

I still like the film overall but no, it's not just you failing to understand.

Yeah, that's definitely how it feels.

I suppose some day I should read the manga. Although I've heard it goes too far in the OPPOSITE direction, where everything is more rambly than it should be! Suppose I'll have to find out on my own.

Aki-at

Assassination Classroom S2 - 15

Might have to re-read the manga but I swear this is going a lot faster pace than I remember it. Still the next few episodes are going to be light on laughs and more on action/story so it might not have the same effect on me this time round. Still enjoyed it though and loved the beginning of
the fight with the ring of fire.

pbayne

There's actually a lot more material in the form of drama CDs that isn't covered in the anime. Unfortunately the majority of that is not translated.

Wow because there seems to be quite a few sequels and OVAs and there was still more ground to cover? Thats pretty impressive. What sort of material do they cover(if it doesn't spoil anything?

Monster | 3

No wonder this has 74 eps, because after three episodes I still don't know where the hell this is going. This is the one instance where I would have loved a german dub.

Thtat's odd that it didn't get a German dub considering its mostly set in Germany.
Push on a little and you'll get a good sense of how the show will progress.

And you thought there is never a girl online? Episode 1
CfdxHtfUkAABGCI.jpg

I cant believe they actually said that, lol. This anime has lots of heart and it actually feels different then I was led to believe. I thought it would be something else but its actually a friends online how do we become more outgoing IRL type of thing for Ako, and at least Schwein character. Really funny at times. I also liked the scenario, I wonder why more series havent done the online character meet offline type of thing before. I also imagine its definitely this initially awkward IRL at first especially online names.

Sad there arent any other male charas in the guild. Best in game chara.
CfdyxxGVIAAGiQ_.jpg
Cfdyx0FUIAAN2zo.jpg

Just T

Joker Game: 1

This was a little dull in the beginning but I thought it picked up along the way and got me interested enough for the second episode.

Bungou Stray Dogs: 1

This was a lot more goofy than I thought it'd be but I enjoyed the episode.

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress: 1

Nice start, it looks pretty good and was interesting enough, can be pretty brutal too.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Wow because there seems to be quite a few sequels and OVAs and there was still more ground to cover? Thats pretty impressive. What sort of material do they cover(if it doesn't spoil anything?
Yeah, it's quite impressive. There was also some weirdness because the drama CDs before the anime had a different cast.

I've only listened to a few, but they are mostly just short stories set in the universe similar to the anime. The most notable one, but I'm not sure if it's on youtube anymore, is one that is set after the events of the anime where the characters are reunited again.

Funny enough, there are also PS2 visual novels... but I know nothing about what those contain or if they are "canon".

Naruto Shippuden 455

nGrQXM3.gif

Just awesome.

The massacre scene and Fugaku's visions were fucking incredible. I've seen Itachi take his parents down many times before and every time that scene gets me. It was nice to see Itachi's ruthlessness and how badass of a shinobi he was. I guess we will see more of his Akatsuki adventures going forward?

Fugaku was the man. This and Kakashi's mini series just solidifies Danzo's shittiness and the third hokages uselessness.

This show looks damn good. I think we all knew it was going to look good, but it broke my expectations. Aside from the animations - which are every bit of not more fluid than Attack on Titan - the shading and attention to detail is absurd.

Not sure exactly where the story is going, but there are plenty of interesting details. Political intrigue, mentions of a Shogunate, the "zombie origin" story that every Zombie series should have, etc. MC seems much more capable than most as well - looking at you Erin.

Pokemon XY 8

7MMQWXi.jpg

Pokemon is back motherfuckers.

Serena is getting a lot of screen time and development, almost like Ash isn't the sole focus of this series.

How many times have we seen Itachi slaughter the Uchiha clan?

How many more times are we gonna see it?

If it shows new scenes of Itachi clowning fools and just being a general badass, they can keep showing it.

Ascheroth

Mawaru Penguindrum - 11

Waaaait. Where did that incident come from? I want to know what happened then, since it seems it connects a lot of characters..
And apparently the little girl with the hat was actually a little boy with a hat. Should have realized it when they called him Mario, but it seems I automatically associated the hat with female.
Ringo still hadn't given up and tried a final attack (can't believe those sketchy recipes actually work, lol), but realized she was on the wrong ship all along.
I haven't mentioned it so far, but I find it cute how the penguins mirror the personalities of their 'counterpart' in some way.
And then there's the Pingroup plastered everywhere.
I have a somewhat ominous feeling, since this Redhair mentioned another 'dangerous' group Kanba is associated with (where he got the money from I assume) and that the Pingroup symbol was under a Penguin force sticker on the box the 3 penguins came with, as shown in episode 9.

It was especially hard choosing just 3 screencaps this episode... I think I made around 40...

It also looks like it's time to take a break and watch Attack on Titan S2.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress Episode 1:

Studio Wit can bring the production value, for awhile at any rate, but I need to see that they can hold steadfast beyond this episode. Anyway, yea, this isn't just wanting to be Attack on Titan it is pretty much wearing its skin as a coat with some adjustments as we got this odd mix of Feudal Japan and Victorian Steampunk going on for world atheistic. Not sure where i Stand on Diet Eren other than I like him more then the real deal because he already has more depth then "must kill all of my enemy" and nothing more. Right, can't really dance around this issue any longer as I am already mulling the dropping of the series because zombies and not just zombies the same virus borne shambling messes that have been beaten beyond the pale. Though on the other hand, having zombies as the main nemesis does make the train idea work since otherwise those tracks would have been long ago destroyed.

Cornbread78

Crunchyroll got all the (apparently) good (but still shiiit) anime this season aside from MHA.

Good.

They are making up for the winter slaughter Funi gave them.

The basic is done, You want me to post now, Cruncryroll stream is delayed by 1 day iirc

Ceap, wasn't aware of the delay. OT OT's can be posted up to a week before the event / air date, so it's completely up to you, lol.

Qurupeke

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress 1
If the whole series looks likes that, I'm sold. Pretty stunning. I really like the setting and the trains can certainly create a claustrophobic atmosphere. The main character is interesting, I loved that scene in the end and his whole setup, even if it was risky. He's as angry as Eren but a lot more likable and certainly not as dumb. Mumei is, the one character that I love though. I adore her carefree and mysterious attitude, and that slash kick was soooo good. The highlight of the episode. Anyway, the series had a decent start. It's an interesting take on the "Zombie Apocalypse" genre, but the same could be said for Attack on Titan. Definitely looking forward to more and I'm actually curious to how the show will continue.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So there's a harem show about players playing an MMO... but they aren't trapped in it!

It's weird that this sounds like an original idea now in 2016. lol

Ascheroth

Kabaneri - 01

Pleasantly surprised. It looks really good (we'll see if Wit can keep it up) and I'm really digging the setting. MC is already way better then Eren, and his scene at the end was really intense. Dude doesn't fuck around.
Mumei is also already great, for the reasons Qurupeke already mentioned.
Curious in which direction it will go.

pbayne

Kanberi 1

Looked great. Definitely brought the wow factor and it established a good sense of scale. In terms of setting up a big high octone action show thumbs up. There were a shit ton of terms thrown around without much explanation, but i think that's fine for episode one.

Probably the downside being it feels uncomfortably similar already to AoT. And i can't stand the main character at all already. Even his character design(I like the character designs a lot in general) but why does he MC have those stupid half/half glasses? Unless he's color blind in one eye fucking take those off.

It would be refreshing if in one of these dystopion shows the ruling forces weren't against the protagonist or the people and genuinely wanted to help them.

Kabaneri 1
Hey that was actually a pretty solid opener that didn't have me laughing at the direction. That already puts it ahead of Attack on Titan.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Plot Twist: The basement is actually in a train. They find it at the end of the show, only to see that it already left the station right before they arrived. And so starts the second season..
I still think the basement holds the One Piece and that Luffy and Eren will have a super mega team up.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Netoge is not only generic harem without a hook like SAO, but it's also a decade behind in terms of casual gamer sexism.

GG's anime of the year for sure.

phaze

I dunno why people get so obsessed with the AoT's basement. Most shows of this ilk will have some kind of central mystery/plot point that will get dangled in front of you at one point and only get picked up on much, much later. From where S1 of AoT ended to where manga is at currently there has been a lot of new info revealed so it's not like the author put all of his apples into this mythical basement.

Not Attack on Titan 01
And again this season, I'm surprised at how much I enjoyed something I didn't previously put much faith into. High brow entertainment this is not, I also hate mc's design but a this was a very enjoyable premiere.

If this was really a go at AoT's casual fanbase then why would they insert this 13 year female kid in kimono, killing zombies with a ball on a stick her edgy shoes, into this. I'm pretty sure that part of Titan's appeal is supposed to be the relatively grounded vibe of its cast.

Sterok

Unhappy 1

So it's not just a club of unlucky people, but a whole class. I guess this will be my cute girls show of the season. Amusing enough, though there were too many skits breaking the pace.

Qurupeke

Netoge is not only generic harem without a hook like SAO, but it's also a decade behind in terms of casual gamer sexism.

GG's anime of the year for sure.

qft

I dunno why people get so obsessed with the AoT's basement. Most shows of this ilk will have some kind of central mystery/plot point that will get dangled in front of you at one point and only get picked up on much, much later. From where S1 of AoT ended to where manga is at currently there has been a lot of new info revealed so it's not like the author put all of his apples into this mythical basement.

The basement is pretty much the ending point anyway. They'll arrive there before the finale/final mission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom