• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

pan short 1

looks rubbish but 3 minutes of no subtitles is okay 'turn my brain off and see if you can follow the japanese' practice

PKrockin

Rewatching some Mushi-shi in preparation of watching Zoku Shou. This might be my favorite TV anime ever. I don't know how some dude telling a story about how his dad became obsessed with rainbows is so engrossing. It's so atmospheric.

It's a shame the people I've been recommending it to aren't giving it a chance because of the slow pacing.

Awesome, should I also see the movies/OVAs too?

The movies are anime-original stories connected with the 2011 series. The first OVA series completes the Yorkshin arc with the part of the manga that wasn't finished when the TV series ended and is pretty decent. The second and third OVA series cover Greed Island and are generally considered to be poor.

Jintor

Sakamoto 1

OP has rad music but the episode itself is pretty flat. Actually I kinda think it's worse than the manga... although I found the manga kind of wore itself thin pretty quickly, so...

I think I'll let others see if this is any good, but honestly, I'm more tempted to rewatch Gekkan Shoujo

Sakamoto 1

I think the manga is amusing in short reads, this felt more flat and 24 minutes of it was too long. It also was visually pretty mediocre, except in a few scenes.

Jintor

Gekkan Shoujo 1 (rewatch)

man, i kinda forgot how much pure romance direction they put in there only to pull the most obvious sad trombones to try and comedy it up

thankfully they get better about it... or they drop the romance direction unless they're building to something...

/edit bicycle scene still hilarious

Swagmoto 1

This was everything I hoped it would bee minus those stupid volleyball scenes really kill the pacing for no good reason. Was worried when I saw the episode was 24 minutes but combining two short chapters into 1 episode works well.

varkuriru

I laughed a lot at this one. Some of the jokes timing were a little off but some hit the mark perfectly to me. The bit at the end with the volleyball almost made up to the first two boring scenes. Finally, knowing that this one has the Gintama director has me fully on board.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Ace Attorney 2:

Talking about this is perhaps the most boring thing of all because there is not a lot to say if you know anything about the games and this remains a loyal to a fault adaptation of said games.

Arabesque

Well, having now seen the last Akito episode ... I'll give it this.

I didn't expect it to end like this back when the project was first announced lol

My general thoughts is that Akito the Exiled is a lot like Macross Zero, in that the story being told, while interesting enough, was ill suited for this type of release format and schedule. I still really like Akane's directorial work, and there is plenty of things to like about this OVA series, but I think that it had failed in its stated goal here in helping to expand the Code Geass universe.

Come to think of it, I think that all the attempts to expand the Code Geass universe had been largely unsuccessful. There were some manga and novel releases following the show as well that I think never went anywhere post the ending, given how conclusive it was.

What Arabesque said. Here's an old interview with the director published around the release of Akito Part 2.

Yeah, I recall reading some translated bits for this year's ago I think. This is the first time reading the whole thing so it gives a lot of clarity (and conformations) on what was going on and where the project was going.

I think that the bit about removing the "Gaiden" label was interesting, mainly because even though they took it out (and I remember noticing that between the announcement and release of the first OVA) it still was constrained by the fact it had to occur within the timeline of the show. It was ultimately a side story because in the context of the Code Geass timeline, only Lelouch's actions mattered in the end and the way the show concluded up gave a finality to not just his story, but to the entire world. There was no way for a story set in the transitional period between season 1 and R2 able to escape that, so at best it could only work as a small personal story. Which I guess is what it ended up becoming, just not that fitting given how bombastic and over the top the parent show was.

But I suppose that was the greater point. Introducing new blood, Taniguchi and Okouchi had been clear they were done with the show and had stepped away from working on the franchise, and Akane was given control of the steering wheels for his series more or less. In that case though I think the series would've worked a whole lot better as part of an anthology where different creatives gave their own vision of where the series were to go or story that were to happen during the time frame of the parent series. Even better would've been to abandon the original series and give them a clear slate to work with, so it wouldn't be constrained in fitting with Lelouch's story.

But I suppose there is no point going on about what could've been. The OVA series is now done after much delays and extensions, and Akane did what he wanted to do. It was pretty at least.

This bit made me laugh

Since they used a male with Lelouch, I decided this time I would make the main character in the story a female, so I came up with Leila. Then, when I revealed the setting for her “Leila…32 years old…has children…is divorced,” everyone was completely against it (laughs).

-----(Interviewer laughs)

A: I was like “what’s wrong with that?!” (laughing). I argued, “Lelouch was a student, so why can’t we use a 32 year-old for this story?! I think a 32 year-old heroine is totally acceptable!” but they all ganged up on me and finally persuaded me saying, “A 32 year-old in anime is too old! And she can’t have kids!” (laughs).

-----The result then was a mature 17 year-old (laughs).

Man, he should've fought more to keep his original idea lol It would've been a really cool idea for a protagonist, but I guess they would've never allowed him to go with it haha

Also, for the last 10 years or so, I’ve been absorbed in the history of the Roman Empire. Rome began as a monarchy, but a backlash against that led to a republic. In other words, a kind of democratic political system was born with a parliamentary system made up of the Roman senate and prominent lawmakers. After that, Rome transitioned to an empire when they could no longer politically maintain the vast expansion of territory, but when the empire came to the end of its road, Rome was destroyed which led to the Middle Ages throughout Europe. You could argue that Rome was the birthplace of Europe and even America. That really fascinated me, and the more I learned about Rome, the more I was able to comprehend European culture, art, and of course their political systems.

I always knew he was cool. Shame he never managed to fit more of that into the show.

Jintor

i really love the roman transitional phase from fucked up republic to slightly less fucked up but still ultimately fucked up empire

great period of history. plus a shittonne of political chichianary. chinaviary. chinavery. shennanigans.

phaze

Any reason to not be moderately interested in Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge Tanaka-kun is Always Listless ? This flew completely under my radar but it looks pretty nice, mc sounds like Houtaru to a t, Non Non Biyori Director, no voluptuous tsundere smashing mc's face in sight. Can I be slightly hyped ?

Deadly

Akito 5
This whole consciousness thing was a dumb addition. The conclusion to this was so...meh. Lelouch and Suzaku was totally wasted.

Looks like this marks the true end of Code Geass

Dang, I was asleep during the time when people were discussing Concrete Revolutio, I do want to still share my two cents though.

While it's the first thing that gets brought up most of the time, I personally don't think that the timeline is the biggest hurdle to overcome when watching the show. Even without using the dates that the show provides there are a lot of clues that allow the viewer to ballpark in which timeframe the events are taking place.

Knowing the exact dates isn't even that important. Just use the most recent episode for example. To understand the scenes you only really needed to know whether they happened before or after the Jiro vs. Detective fight in episode three. This was quite easy to figure out even without looking up a timeline.

During my initial watch of the show, I struggled more with keeping track of the vast roster of characters. Because of that, a lot of scenes in the show fell flat for me.
In a way, Concrete Revolutio demands the viewer to put in some effort to at least remember the main goals of all the characters. I'm sure everyone is different, but for me it was hard to recall small details from a show that airs on a weekly basis. I'd say watching the whole show in one go would be the best way to tackle it.

It's definitely a series that requires the viewer to get invested in order to fully enjoy it. During the seasonal break, I sat down once again to rewatch the first season in its entirety and the whole picture became a lot clearer to me. After that I spent some time reading and researching the show and over time I really started to appreciate ConRevo.

Concrete Revolutio has this unique aspect which allows a viewer to really dive into everything it has to offer, whether it's analysing the characters or looking up all the historical/pop culture references that are woven through the story. There’s just so much to explore.

That being said, I’d still admit that for me a big chunk of episode 14 was just this:

GBwiYlb.png

But Concrete Revolutio is one of those show for which I’ll gladly rewatch it over and over until I fully understand it.

--------------------

Btw, for those curious. Tooth-missing skeleton is a Gashadokuro I think

Any reason to not be moderately interested in Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge Tanaka-kun is Always Listless ? This flew completely under my radar but it looks pretty nice, mc sounds like Houtaru to a t, Non Non Biyori Director, no voluptuous tsundere smashing mc's face in sight. Can I be slightly hyped ?

It seems to be a comfy, calm show directed by the Non Non Biyori guy, who to me is pretty good at making comfy and calm shows. I'm going to give it a try.

I think someone in this thread said that he/she disliked the manga though.

Arabesque

i really love the roman transitional phase from fucked up republic to slightly less fucked up but still ultimately fucked up empire

great period of history. plus a shittonne of political chichianary. chinaviary. chinavery. shennanigans.

It was listening to Dan Carlin's Death Throes of The Republic that got me into reading Tom Holland's books on the subject over the past year, and then moving on to bing reading about Roman Birtian and the Byzantium empire. The Rupicon and Dynasty books are super fascinating in how much things had gone to shit to cause the Romans to switch back to complete authoritarian rule, and reading about the stories that occurred at the time in the colonies like Biritan and how the international police affected the domestic and vice versa. It really is a great period.

The politics alone are worth talking about for how insane some of the things that happened.

Tune in for my fifty page review tomorrow if I don't blow up the new PC I'm building when I get home!

Going to be interesting one way or another lol

Frankly, there are various legitimate issues with the final Akito the Exiled chapter...but I'd say it was more rushed and compressed than pointless. I also didn't think OVAs 3 or 4 were particularly problematic as a whole. Nor do I share your reaction against happy endings per se. Sure, the writing could have done more to make it feel earned (for instance, certain extra people could have died to make the tone less sappy), but I thought it was within regular anime standards all the same. Which, admittedly, isn't saying much.

I think given the issues Code Geass has in general when it comes to writing and its own super duper happy ending, the Akito ending feels like it's oddly the most comparable with it lol

I think it's clear that things started to go a little off the rails when episodes 3 and 4 came around, and we needed an extra episode to conclude the show. Truth be told I think that the vision Akane had changed mid way (or hadn't bee clear until then) which caused things to land here.

Everything that I read about it makes it seem like it's going to be a good show. Looking forward to it personally.

pbayne

Im pretty unhype for it. The manga is not really that funny and the Tanaka's schik gets tiresome very quickly. The strongest aspect of it is probably the bromance between the two main guys.

Since the first episodes have aired for most (all?) of the shows so far this season what has caught everyone's interests? I've only watched Mayoiga and I'm wondering what else is worth watching.

Super Lovers and Shounen Maid are easily best first episodes thus far of the season.

Gundam Unicorn RE 0096 as well (though I didnt have any way to see the original Unicorn)

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Sakamoto desu ga ep.1
I expect more from the director of Gintama and Danshi Nichijou. It's a decent adaptation, but i think the director could do better than this. I hope they ramp up swag factor and be more creative for the next episode. So far, i like it, but i want more than just liking it. I want to be basked in swagamoto full glory! I want to be amazed!

Kuromukuro 01

Solid first episode, not something AOTS level but good enough to make me wanna watch episode 2, and i like the OP song.
Also heroine is pretty lively and of course, moe lol.

Oh and yeah subs are out.
Thanks /a/

Ascheroth

Since the first episodes have aired for most (all?) of the shows so far this season what has caught everyone's interests? I've only watched Mayoiga and I'm wondering what else is worth watching.

What I've personally liked the most so far:
My Hero Academia: Very well done action shonen
JoJo Part 4: It's more JoJo and more fabulous then ever
Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress: It's Attack on Titan with zombies and steampunk
Joker Game: spy fiction set in 1937
Kagewani S2: the first season was great and so far the has't dissapointed. It's a very atmospheric horror show with excellent creature design. Every episode is only 8 minutes, so watching the entire first season would only take about 2 hours.

Decent:
Re:Zero: the first half drags a bit, but there's a very neat twist in the second. Has potential.
Twin Star Exorcists: a nice action shonen with some neat action and visuals and fun characters, but could still go either way.

I'm probably forgetting things, but whatever.

phaze

phoenix296
Last 20 episodes of Cowboy Bebop
Last 20 episodes of Shin Sekai Yori
kumikoehur9.png

Nothing, nothing at all.... IT SUCKS!

There's Super Lovers.

It seems to be a comfy, calm show directed by the Non Non Biyori guy, who to me is pretty good at making comfy and calm shows. I'm going to give it a try.

I think someone in this thread said that he/she disliked the manga though.

Everything that I read about it makes it seem like it's going to be a good show. Looking forward to it personally.
Hype rising.

Im pretty unhype for it. The manga is not really that funny and the Tanaka's schik gets tiresome very quickly. The strongest aspect of it is probably the bromance between the two main guys.
Hype ballon bursted.

Sakamoto 01

Unfunny, repetitive and visually dull. I guess I'll tune for a bit next week but this looks like a certain drop.

Kabaneri of the iron fortress
I KNEW IT, that some serie would do for me this season too!
music is killing it.. same author of unicorn..
production from wit (attack of the titan)..
chara design mikimoti..
director araki..

i can only say.. more in my vein!

Future Card Buddyfight DDD [Triple D] Episode 2
tumblr_o5chuicF751r5r707o1_500.png
tumblr_o5ddsenP8u1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Okay Im so glad they added some sparkles to already pretty Tasuke Ryuenji, that is just what he needed. And then Noboru Kodo! Best buddyfighter in Aibo Academy.

I also still love the jump rope ending.

The buddyfight this episode was pretty fun even if it was another chance to teach us the rules we have already been familiar with.

Aoi Shouta finally speaks!

Fireblend

Banned
Watched some first episodes to see if I'd stick to something this season.

Hero Academia was great, definitely watching that. I feel like Bones hasn't done anything I've actually enjoyed since Brotherhood so here's hoping this I finally enjoy.

Kabaneri was surprisingly good, specially considering I hated AoT. This looks really good and even if I see the similarities with AoT I feel like this had way better execution.

Joker Game was... Alright. I'll give it one more episode and see if it grabs me. The slow pace may make me drop it.

Luluco feels like something I'm going to watch all the way through out of curiosity just like I did with Panty & Stocking :p

Mayoiga... Eh. I'll watch the second one but I'm 100% sure I'm dropping it eventually.

Ace Attorney was shit. From the character design to the slides how animation, it's unwatchable. Too bad since I'm a huge fan of the games but yeah, I'm not ruining my memories watching that.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Kuromukuro Episode 1:

That was the definition of average, not terrible but nothing really stood out aside from the extreme role reversal we got going on here. Once again, I do not see myself watching this for very long should it continue at this pace.

Jintor

It was listening to Dan Carlin's Death Throes of The Republic that got me into reading Tom Holland's books on the subject over the past year, and then moving on to bing reading about Roman Birtian and the Byzantium empire. The Rupicon and Dynasty books are super fascinating in how much things had gone to shit to cause the Romans to switch back to complete authoritarian rule, and reading about the stories that occurred at the time in the colonies like Biritan and how the international police affected the domestic and vice versa. It really is a great period.

The politics alone are worth talking about for how insane some of the things that happened.

Yeah, I remember reading Masters of Rome as a young lad and being amazed that at some point I had become completely enthralled by reading about an aging senator attempting to push a land reform bill through the senate so he could make good on his promise to his legions, and in turn, gradually creating a narrative where armies were beholden to their generals and not to their country

of course, this was republican rome, where bribery, beating your opponents, and blatantly ignoring rural demographics was par for the course. so politics was slightly more interesting at the time.

BluWacky

I have Dynasty sat on the shelf for me to read. Must get around to that...

The ancient world is just fascinating - I do say this as a Classicist by trade, mind you. That said, I can't get excited about Roman Britain. I've come to realise that I just don't find my own country particularly interesting; I like living here (aside from the dreadful weather), but I'm far more interested in what's going on or happened in other places.

(I'm also more of a literature/philosophy man than a historian, mind you; I'm not particularly interested in the minutiae of economics or military strategy, I just like stories. Imperial scandal and intrigue I can handle; where Alexander the Great chose to station his sarissa-wielders and why sends me off to sleep.)

With the notable exception of Alexander Senki, the Classical world is markedly untapped as a source by anime (alright, fine, Thermae Romae kind of counts). Saint Seiya steals the iconography but not the spirit of Classical mythology. Part of me keeps meaning to get around to watching Arslan in terms of its depiction of quasi-Persia, I suppose.

Back on topic - I can't believe it took nearly four years for Akito to be finished. No-one cares any more! The bandwagon has well and truly rolled off into the sunset on Code Geass. At least Akane is now free to go and work on something else.

kmax

Koutetsu no Kabaneri episode 1

This one was a pleasant surprise, actually. First impression was that it was going to be an Attack on Titan rip-off (1. it still kinda is 2. I know, same studio) but this was a solid premiere. Good animation, nice premise, interesting characters all around.

With the notable exception of Alexander Senki, the Classical world is markedly untapped as a source by anime (alright, fine, Thermae Romae kind of counts). Saint Seiya steals the iconography but not the spirit of Classical mythology. Part of me keeps meaning to get around to watching Arslan in terms of its depiction of quasi-Persia, I suppose.

Run Melos also counts. Even if it's based on a Japanese story, the setting is ancient Greece.

Jintor

transplant the fall of the roman republic to space rome or something and bam. next space opera in the house. steal all characters verbatin.

japanese sulla gonna fucking be the most debaucherous villain protagonist ever

Ace attorney 2
Huge improvement, and it also looks like they managed to cut a huge chunk of the investigation stage into important parts, so no complains there.

Man, I just remembered how crazy this case is cause IIRC
phoenix had to fight for his innocence at the later part

Edit: I forgot about it but this happened

RIN-NE Season 2 Episode 26 – Black Cat Oboro
Cfm5elgWEAUcp4m.jpg

I must have missed the voice cast news but I didnt know Matsuoka would be in this as Oboro. I hope Oboro has many more episodes as he and Ageha are pretty funny.

Im glad this is back, its so funny.

-

I prefer the old broadcast day for it instead of Saturday. I wish second seasons would stop changing air dates.

Sakamoto desu ga - 01

Didn't find majority of the scenes funny. The ~20 min format works against this type of one stick comedy, making it feel repetitive in my opinion. One could've hoped it'd at least be visually stimulating, but it fails on that front as well.
Not impressed at all after hearing the praise for this beforehand (which when I think about it might just have been #LOLSWAG), might not just be my type of comedy. I hope the new character in the next episode can mix things up a bit.

Btw, for those curious. Tooth-missing skeleton is a Gashadokuro I think

that's pretty neat, nice find

I'm really struggling to find stuff to like this season, similar to last season where I only really watched ERASED. I think some of it is because the manga I used to have time to read has all been adapted by now, Sakamoto being probably the last of the bunch.

Where are the equivalents of my favourites like Shokugeki no Soma, Shigatsu wa kimi no Uso, Gekkan Shoujo, Akame ga KILL, Tokyo Ghoul, Barakamon, Akagami no Shirayukihime, Oremonogatari, Hanasaku Iroha, Hyouka, Spice & Wolf etc.?

Maybe I just need to catch up on what's currently popular in manga, as I'm more likely to commit to reading a few chapters than watching an episode of an anime.

I need my beauftiful, non-robot anime that has some combo of romance, comedy, general laid back SoL with amazing soundtracks. I realise Tokyo Ghoul and Akame ga KILL! don't really fit in, but they had cool elements I liked.

I'll watch Boku no Hero Academia since the first episode was pretty good, but other than that... struggling.

Sakamoto 1

People really thought it was unfunny and dull? Is this Saturday treating them that badly? This was not as funny as the kids animes I watch but I still laughed a lot (bullies one was funnier than the second one in this episode).

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I'm really struggling to find stuff to like this season, similar to last season where I only really watched ERASED. I think some of it is because the manga I used to have time to read has all been adapted by now, Sakamoto being probably the last of the bunch.

Where are the equivalents of my favourites like Shokugeki no Soma, Shigatsu wa kimi no Uso, Gekkan Shoujo, Akame ga KILL, Tokyo Ghoul, Barakamon, Akagami no Shirayukihime, Oremonogatari, Hanasaku Iroha, Hyouka, Spice & Wolf etc.?

Maybe I just need to catch up on what's currently popular in manga, as I'm more likely to commit to reading a few chapters than watching an episode of an anime.

I need my beauftiful, non-robot anime that has some combo of romance, comedy, general laid back SoL with amazing soundtracks. I realise Tokyo Ghoul and Akame ga KILL! don't really fit in, but they had cool elements I liked.

I'll watch Boku no Hero Academia since the first episode was pretty good, but other than that... struggling.

mmm mayyybe you'll like Flying Witch? It's more on the laidback/SOL side of things tho

Just T

Sakamoto desu ga: 1

Well that was underwhelming as fuck, got a chuckle or two but idk thought it would be hilarious. Just the first ep though so will see how it goes.

Mayoiga: 2

These characters....

Swagamoto 1

Adaptation is all right. Not gonna lie nothing of the adaptation really added value to the comedy, the OP feels lazy. But I love Sakamoto the Manga, what I read, so much that I'll keep watching in hopes it goes further than I ever got on the Manga. The volleyball transition was too much, it worked on nichibros but in here I was like "again?"

Probably could have been better adapted but the swag was so strong I'll keep at it.

I need my beauftiful, non-robot anime that has some combo of romance, comedy, general laid back SoL with amazing soundtracks.

I have the perfect show for you: Tanaka-kun is Always Listless. The first episode just aired, and it has all the qualities you're looking for: very laid back, good comedy, excellent soundtrack, a little light romance - everything you could want. I had faith that the Non Non Biyori director would come through, and he totally did. Really pleasant.

duckroll

Good news is that my PC didn't blow up! Got a scare when I saw my CPU temp go up to 80 degrees just browsing through the BIOS settings though. A stupid wire was clipping the CPU fan and preventing it from spinning. Rofl.

Now I'm just sitting around waiting for drives to clone and to reinstall Windows and stuff.

The 100 page Akito thesis might have to wait though! I think I'll watch Lost Village ep2 first. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom