• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

I'm really struggling to find stuff to like this season, similar to last season where I only really watched ERASED. I think some of it is because the manga I used to have time to read has all been adapted by now, Sakamoto being probably the last of the bunch.

Where are the equivalents of my favourites like Shokugeki no Soma, Shigatsu wa kimi no Uso, Gekkan Shoujo, Akame ga KILL, Tokyo Ghoul, Barakamon, Akagami no Shirayukihime, Oremonogatari, Hanasaku Iroha, Hyouka, Spice & Wolf etc.?

Maybe I just need to catch up on what's currently popular in manga, as I'm more likely to commit to reading a few chapters than watching an episode of an anime.

I need my beauftiful, non-robot anime that has some combo of romance, comedy, general laid back SoL with amazing soundtracks. I realise Tokyo Ghoul and Akame ga KILL! don't really fit in, but they had cool elements I liked.

I'll watch Boku no Hero Academia since the first episode was pretty good, but other than that... struggling.

Yeah, they are kind of lacking with thise type of shows the past couple seasons. Have you watched Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches or Actually, I Am (Jitsu wa Watashi wa)? You could also go back a year and check out something like Ookami Shoujo to Kuro Ouji. Plastic Memories is a little more on the Drama/Romance side of things. You could also go back and watch sone really interesting stuff more on the drama side like Kokoro Connect or Little Busters. Not sure if those are too far back tough. But yeah, nothing from winter/spring seasons sticks out.

I want to protect this sigh:

8mX2xSy.jpg

Ascheroth

Asterisk S2 - 02

Oh god... someone please get rid of Flora, her voice is physically hurting me.
Transitional episode with some new info otherwise.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Call me if Mayoiga goes to pot and becomes another Another. I can see myself easily dropping this.

Haven't you heard? I'm Sakamoto - 1

This seems like the kind of thing that'd be better off as a series of shorts, rather than full-length episodes.

The stuff with the volleyball seemed to be just there to drag things out, and it wasn't particularly funny either.

Narag

Kiznaiver 1

• new Seven Deadly Sins of Japanese Culture and they're all anime character archetypes
  • a cast of whackjobs
  • literally sharing pain with the Kizuna system
based Okada

BluWacky

Tanaka-kun is Always Lazy 1

I'm confused. It's anime. It's a comedy. But... I laughed? Several times?

Unlike Sakamoto-san, some thought and care has gone into animating this. It has a pleasant art style and attractive colour palette (it reminds me a little of Nozaki-kun, to keep up the honorific-tastic titles). The music, with its silent-film-piano and jovial accordion, fits with the heavily relaxed tone; everything is drenched in sunlight and birdsong. The gags are inventively animated and paced - a particular favourite involves a sequence making fun of protagonists in general, but the structure of the final skit is perfect sitcom writing. Even the "eyecatches" are funny!

Thoroughly recommended, regardless of how the rest of the series turns out.

Defuser

Let me get this straight, Kuromukuro stream rights got picked up by Netflix. So in Netflix japan the streaming is 4 days late while the International netflixs won't be streaming this at all but releasing all in one go 3 months later for binge watching and most likely in dub? I don't see the logic why they to do that. Without any hype from people who watch it weekly, netflix binge watchers will probably ignore it.

No wonder I don't see discussion or buzz for Kuromukuro. Dead in the water.

Tanaka kun 1

The art style, music and sound design was really on point. But at what point do adults and parents get involved with a kid that has THIS much sloth? Either he's not sleeping enough at home or has some serious issues because nobody should be this sleepy if not for narcolepsy. What kind of friends does he have that they don't recognize it's an issue outside of "bro he's so lazy".

Once again a shout out to the music as the french-styled background music was great. But the only point I really smiled with was with the badminton and the piano scene, the rest of it I was getting more annoyed by how lazy this fucker was. Maybe next episode with a more upbeat character it'll pick up but a show starring a sloth isn't going to keep me entertained for long.

If I wanted a relaxing comedy I'd rather rewatch Polar Bear Cafe.

KIZNAIVER Episode 1

Just pretty boring to be honest.

The story doesn't really kick in till the latter half of the episode, and even then we don't get to really see anything substantial happen with the big reveal.

It's a set-up episode through and through.

Let me get this straight, Kuromukuro stream rights got picked up by Netflix. So in Netflix japan the streaming is 4 days late while the International netflixs won't be streaming this at all but releasing all in one go 3 months later for binge watching and probably in dub?

There are subs of this now.

Tanaka-kun is Always Lazy 1

I'm confused. It's anime. It's a comedy. But... I laughed? Several times?

Unlike Sakamoto-san, some thought and care has gone into animating this. It has a pleasant art style and attractive colour palette (it reminds me a little of Nozaki-kun, to keep up the honorific-tastic titles). The music, with its silent-film-piano and jovial accordion, fits with the heavily relaxed tone; everything is drenched in sunlight and birdsong. The gags are inventively animated and paced - a particular favourite involves a sequence making fun of protagonists in general, but the structure of the final skit is perfect sitcom writing. Even the "eyecatches" are funny!

Thoroughly recommended, regardless of how the rest of the series turns out.

Shinya Kawamo is a good director! He even does the same thing here as he did in Non Non Biyori of putting the next episode preview in an in-universe screen (TV in Non Non Biyori, phone here). Same deliberately slow pacing too. Good stuff.

Qurupeke

Kiznaiver 1

This was... intriguing? Dunno. I'm very confused on what happened, but it seems like they share their pain and they were selected because each one represents a modern Japanese sin... or something. The Harime Nui girl, the protagonist and the kidnapper are annoying, but I like the rest of the cast. Chidori is the best, maybe because she's the most normal of the bunch.

The OP was pretty good, despite having an awful song.

Tuck

Lost Village - 2
Ok, I'm really confused about this bus driver. He tried to murder them in the last episode, and yet now everyone seems to have forgotten that that happened.

I don't get why the bus driver has been portrayed so stupidly.

Rest of the episode was alright, I guess... though this whole concept of a hidden village is a little thin. The village was clearly constructed by modern means, yet the characters keep wondering how people could ever have managed to build it themselves. Theres a phone booth, for gods sake! Just cause a village is abandoned doesn't mean fairies made it.

A lot of the characters also really suck. The more aggressive, asshole-ish characters just really get on my nerves and I hope they die soon.

Eh, I'll keep watching but there are already several cracks in this story's foundation.

Just T

Tanaka-kun is Always Listless: 1

Thought this was going to be a short for some reason. Not a bad episode though, pretty chill. He has some extreme laziness, will check out the next episode, want to see the other characters.

Ace Attorney 02

The anime version of gruel. Superfluous, unfulfilling, bland and boring. There is nothing appealing about this. It feels like it was made in a lab to be as soulless as possible and will only satisfy people who just want to watch a literal Let's Play of a game they already played for no purpose other then that they are a fan. Not even my interest in seeing what changed via localization is enough to make me want to watch anymore of this. While better then the first episode, its still terrible and not worth my or anyone's time. Ace Attorney deserves better then this hackneyed garbage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeLxUVACQF0

Ace Attorney - 2

Strange that this was called the first trial when really it was just the investigation phase.

It played out a bit differently than I remember from the game, so I'm wondering how that'll be reflected in the trial episode. I hope they play the Cornered theme this time, as it's the first big case in the series.

BluWacky

Let me get this straight, Kuromukuro stream rights got picked up by Netflix. So in Netflix japan the streaming is 4 days late while the International netflixs won't be streaming this at all but releasing all in one go 3 months later for binge watching and most likely in dub? I don't see the logic why they to do that. Without any hype from people who watch it weekly, netflix binge watchers will probably ignore it.

I guess the issue here is that, unlike Knights of Sidonia or Seven Deadly Sins, there's no pre-built hype from a manga (technically Ajin also has a manga but who on earth cares about Ajin?) As such, there's no way of building any hype at all - particularly as the show isn't even unlicensed like Macross Delta, for instance, but just stuck in limbo.

It has to be said that I don't think we have any definitive source on whether or not Kuromukuro will only be released in binge format. It's not as if Netflix is totally against weekly releasing - Better Call Saul and Mortal Instruments are recent live-action examples of that - but it would be a shame for the series to flop purely because it doesn't fit in with established anime viewing paradigms.

Haven't you heard? I'm Sakamoto - 1

This seems like the kind of thing that'd be better off as a series of shorts, rather than full-length episodes.

The stuff with the volleyball seemed to be just there to drag things out, and it wasn't particularly funny either.

The volleyball stuff was anime filler and they really dragged down the episode. Honestly this was basically 2 mini episodes duck taped together with those awful volleyball scenes. They either should have gone with mini episodes or padded the episode with ANYTHING other then that volleyball loop.

Ascheroth

Kiznaiver - 01

So this is what happens if you combine Okada and Trigger. I very much like this. Digging the artstyle and character designs and I think I like all characters so far? The whole premise is intriguing, I want to know in which direction this is going.
But dammit Crunchyroll, it's not Zantoman, it's Sandmann. Know your german children tales.

The OP was really trippy, but I don't like the song at aaaaaall.

KraytarJ

Space patrol Luluco 01
Have you ever wanted Mako from Kill La Kill to get her own show? Well that's pretty much what this is and it's wonderful.

High School Fleet(Hai-Furi) 01

Welp, it's way more serious than i thought, and of course more serious than Girls und Panzer, the ending of first episode is not easy to predict-it can be the true Dark Horse of this season, or complete disaster.

Good luck IMS, you may finally make a very popular show this time.

Kiznaiver 01

I had no idea what was going on but that was certainly intriguing. The artstyle is pretty good.

OP was so trippy @__@

Kuromukuro 01

That was a solid first episode with good production values, really liked the character animation. The mecha CG was good with its fluid animation and action.

The best part was the OST tho, I want it so much.

Puruzi

Banned
Kiznavier

FQkPNbW.jpg

Lmao the fuck

Based trigger saving anime for the second time in the same season.

Niiyama is best girl. BEST.

Best looking show this season as far as i'm concerned. OP was sick as hell too.

ED kinda sucked though.

OceanBlue

Kiznaiver 1

Chidori is the best, maybe because she's the most normal of the bunch.

My impression as well. The show hasn't really given a good idea of where it's going, but the animation is expressive and Chidori is cute so I'll keep watching.

I thought it was kinda amusing that Sonozaki said no one in this group would get along even though Chidori cares about Katsuhira's well-being. Hopefully it's hinting at some interesting character development for Chidori.

blurr

Hey, I just want to know how Mayoiga was. It seemed to be the more interesting show for me.

So far I have only picked MHA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom