• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wanderer5

Kiznaiver #1

It finally here and er that was quite something lol. Felt kind of confusing at first, but by the end, it became more intriguing. The usage of the 7 sins is pretty neat, and once again I really love the character designs.

And I was kind of expecting Xam'd: Lost Memories opening style, but lol the opening song for this song is very trace like. I kind of dig it.

Edit: Also those gomorins are just oddly amusing heh.

Ace Attorney Episode 2

Well if they are trying to have the anime sell people on trying the game it isnt working. This anime just makes the franchise seem really boring and uninteresting. Perhaps it could have learned from Divine Gate or Monster Strike or even Konami's games like OrecaBattle and DragonCollection, and toss in SEGA's HeroBank. All of those had heart while this has, well nothing. Yuki Kaji is trying his hardest to be outstanding in an anime where all else is mediocre.

JCG

My general thoughts is that Akito the Exiled is a lot like Macross Zero, in that the story being told, while interesting enough, was ill suited for this type of release format and schedule. I still really like Akane's directorial work, and there is plenty of things to like about this OVA series, but I think that it had failed in its stated goal here in helping to expand the Code Geass universe.

Come to think of it, I think that all the attempts to expand the Code Geass universe had been largely unsuccessful. There were some manga and novel releases following the show as well that I think never went anywhere post the ending, given how conclusive it was.

Can't disagree with the inherent weakness of the format and its scheduling issues, at least with respect to what Akane wanted to accomplish. The OVA certainly didn't become popular enough to make a lasting impact on most of the public, yet the future of the Code Geass property remains to be seen. In terms of additional in-universe expansions...we could still see them re-use a couple of concepts or elements introduced by Akito the Exiled, sooner or later, though I don't really expect the same cast of characters to be revisited.

We don't have any real figures for how the various (untranslated) manga and novel releases performed in Japan, but it's not exactly unusual for those formats to maintain a lower profile than the animated works. None of them are sequels to the original story though. But sales numbers for both the Akito the Exiled discs and the more recent re-releases of the original TV series suggest the brand still has an above average commercial appeal at this point. I think Sunrise will just take a step back for a while, attempt to bring in someone else and try again with either another TV series or a full-length movie of some sort. As a partially relevant comparison, Studie Nue didn't immediately give up on an entire IP right after the whole Macross II debacle. There are many other alternatives left for the studio, so they're not going to stop after making a single OVA series.

I think given the issues Code Geass has in general when it comes to writing and its own super duper happy ending, the Akito ending feels like it's oddly the most comparable with it lol

But there is one major difference: it really did feel like an appropriate ending for the TV series. After all, there was a higher cost, one way or another, for several characters.

Ace Attorney 2

Did CR forget to subtitle something or mistranslate a line that indicates how Phoenix knows of a key witness when he talks to Gumshoe? Or did A1 pictures do such a garbage job they forgot to include a scene?

Maybe I don't know much about moe but I recognize it when it hits me with a truck.

1460208317235rxrxf.jpg

1460208303590ztk6c.jpg

Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge 1
Man this anime speaks to me. The listlessness passion is strong with this one.
Especially that piano scene, that was funny.

pbayne

Patlabor Movie 1& 2

1: Ah slow and plodding just how how i like my police dramas. Not much to add other than it was great. Moves at its own pace without needlessly throwing action scenes or big dramatic reveals in for the sake of it. Feels like a good natural extension of the OVAs adopting a more cinematic, gritty style while keeping the humor and subtle character developments from the OVAs.

2. Did the GiTs script get tipped into this? A lot more overt philosophical talk, the conversation about war and peace between Goto and Arakawa being probably the highlight of the movie for me.
Speaking of Goto i was happy that this movie focused more on him and Nagumo as they are the most interesting characters that have the best chemistry out of everyone. There is so much going on and is left unsaid in scenes between them it makes a really fascinating relationship they have.
The last scene was really excellent, such a genuine human emotional way to end the film. And i think that's the best aspect of the series that it always focuses on the humans in the mechs rather than the mechs themselves.

Tanaka-kun is Always Listless Episode 1 – Tanaka-kun and Ohta-kun
CfngOMPWcAAbJzU.jpg

Both pairings are great in this anime, Ohta ought to have taken Tanaka on that offer.

Katou and megane kun are great and need their own skits and moments. Katou so great though I hope he gets treated better./

I love the series when its humans v human stuff both on earth in the UNASA and also between the different groups on Mars.

i thought the traitor was doing some super backdoor shady stuff where it was only going to be the captain but it looks like it was the whole team. fuck em, kill em all, pieces of shit. they got a planet full of roaches that can break humans in half as if they were twigs but these dumbasses are too busy trying to make it a pissing contest.

pbayne

Kiznaiver 1

Its an interesting premise ill give it that. I think it looks great and love the character designs and the ticker black outline around them. Love the abstract OP as well.

But its hard to make sense of where it will go from here. Do they get superpowers or something from these experiments? But im definitely intrigued in what happens next.

Gvitor

Haifuri 01

Yes, yes, this was exactly what I was expecting, cute girls doing cute stuff, all is righ--WELP, THAT GOT DARK FAST.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So, wait, is this Sakamoto anime just 100% wish-fulfillment?

Hard pass if so.

Well that depends. I mean for me it isn't since I don't need to wish to be that cool since I already am.

But I guess for everyone else it is.

DiGiKerot

Question

Is the main character is Pan de Peace the first Welsh protagonist in anime history?

No idea if this is a serious question since I've not seen that bread show, but I'm pretty sure that Negi Springfield from Negima hails from Wales as well.

Taruranto

Welcome to Hinamizawa Village #2
I just wanted an excuse to post it.

I thought Speedstar didn't exist, but then Lion saw him, but then
someone speculated Lion see dead people based on her character bio?

Just T

Kiznaiver: 1

Really like the art style in this. As for the episode itself, I thought it was a straight beginning and got me interested. Chidori is annoying though.

MSMrRound

Haifuri episode 1

Ahh yes...a nice relaxing slice-of-life anime about girls at sea....WAIT WHAT!?

Is this secretly Girls Und Panzer: Navy edition!? WE GOT RUSTLED!!!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Haifuri episode 1

Ahh yes...a nice relaxing slice-of-life anime about girls at sea....WAIT WHAT!?

Is this secretly Girls Und Panzer: Navy edition!? WE GOT RUSTLED!!!

Girls Und Panzer treats the tanks as a sport, it's just a club activity. The girls in this are attending a proper navy school.

Kiznaiver 1

Nice visuals (character design, backgrounds). Decent-ish direction. The polka dots moment in the middle of a otherwise serious scene was :anime:. No idea of where this is is going to plot-wise. I hope the last scene doesn't mean they are just going to gain powers fueled through pain.

The "you have been connected and that's why the MC didn't die from the fall" is an obvious lie, he was already immune to pain before. And he has to already be part of the wound system with dozens or hundreds of people, that's why he doesn't feel pain.

So, wait, is this Sakamoto anime just 100% wish-fulfillment?

Hard pass if so.

How is it wish fulfillment? It's about a cool guy with swag and his funny adventures at school. Wish fulfillment would be more 'a regular guy his whole life who plays video games and when he got to high school he becomes the hero of the world who drowns in pussy' which is 99% of anime.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
My wish is for people to stop using the word "swag" in this context.

Aki-at

JoJo: Diamond is Unbreakable - 2

Continues to be fabulous and was expecting
the grandpa to come back alive.
Enjoyable episode and Josuke's ability are a lot more interesting but I'm wondering what exactly have they done with
the stand they capture?

Kiznaiver - 1

That was a pretty boring episode and I'm not feeling any of the characters yet, not so sure about this yet. Art direction is great at least.

Batman - Arkham Knight

I need to let my frustration out, not even a single boss? What the hell! It started so well but got worse the more I played it, Asylum will forever be the best Batman game. 8/10

Batman - Arkham Knight

I need to let my frustration out, not even a single boss? What the hell! It started so well but got worse the more I played it, Asylum will forever be the best Batman game. 8/10

My favorite batman stories are the ones where they write the World's Greatest Detective to be a fucking idiot.

Arkham City > Asylum > Knight

Knight was the game where it was like

"Batman you are the brilliant detective and master of CQC. I am the deadly assassin ninja who can stand on his own against you in a brawl. You know what this means right?"

"We get on vehicles and have tank fights in an empty city?"

"YOU'RE GOD DAMN RIGHT"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom