• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just T

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable: 2

I like the OP, the ED is straight too. This was a pretty good episode, that dog scene though. Also I like the scene transitions in this and pretty much still enjoying the overall style this has had so far.

Mayoiga 02

I feel let down because this episode wasn't as dumb as the first one.

Maybe I've been playing too much Zero Escape and Danganronpa lately but this feels like one of those setups. Although having 30 characters for that would be a clusterfuck

Narag

Narag, please add this on the New Year Resolution of anime I need to get done this year and cross those that I finish as of now.

10 Animes I want to get done in 2016
Sakura Wars Franchise (only the North American release as they is two that didn't come here) DONE
Godnannar
Great Teacher Onizuka WATCHING
Ninja Scroll DONE (the movie)
The Garden of Words - DONE
Children Who Chase Lost Voices DONE
Royal Space Force The Wings of Honneamine
Watamote DONE
Clannad Franchise
Rahxephon Franchise WATCHING

Added to the doc but didn't update the post so don't go looking for it there!!

JoJo IV-2

Tsuda needs to be banished to the dark lands. The quality level is just shitting all over previous entries. It's like night and day.

It's not just the direction though, the writing is noticeably smarter too. This is making me realize how garbage the first half of Stardust Crusaders was. I mean I knew it was bad but it's making me realize how bad it was.

Tsuda is still the director though.

The Lost Village Episode 2
CfkMK19WQAAD2Xs.jpg

Wow just how close were Mitsumune and Speedstar for people to clear see them as dating each other and then to even come on this trip together, definitely more than friends confirmed canonically.

I wonder what super natural beast is assaulting this village.

And Yuuta Takamura and Toshiyuki Kato are the Chief and Series Director. I suppose you could blame Kenichi Suzuki too for past seasons, but it's clear the reason this season is so much better is due to Takamura and Kato.

I would say Kato after a cursory glance at his ann page

Sakamoto 01

Don't think I can say I enjoyed this. I do like the manga, but as someone said earlier that the idea is better in concept then in execution and I can't really disagree.

And Yuuta Takamura and Toshiyuki Kato are the Chief and Series Director. I suppose you could blame Kenichi Suzuki too for past seasons, but it's clear the reason this season is so much better is due to Takamura and Kato.

Given the ordering of credits and the episode credits for the first two episodes:

Episode 1: SB Tsuda, ED Takamura
Episode 2: SB/ED Kato

I think Takamura's position is more like Chief Episode Director (enshutsu) than Chief Director in the sense that he's the top guy everyone else reports to. Takamura did only episode direction and never storyboarding on the previous seasons of Jojo as well. Pretty sure the hierarchy here is Tsuda > Kato > Takamura.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Sakamoto 01

Don't think I can say I enjoyed this. I do like the manga, but as someone said earlier that the idea is better in concept then in execution and I can't really disagree.

I still enjoyed it to a point of not being disappointed because we all knew what to expect from the studio.

From the New World 10

Unlike episode 5, here the story actually provided a narrative justification for Yamauchi to indulge in wild surreality. This both gave Yamauchi even more license to go wild with visuals (only so much you can do when half the episode is in a cave) and made it not matter that you couldn't follow what's going on. Shun's Cantus leaking is making reality go haywire, so it makes sense for the visual presentation to go haywire as well. The deformed Subaru in particular was disturbing. I mean, it would have been nice if the couple moments of action had been a little more coherently portrayed, but it didn't really matter in the long run. Kenji Matsumoto really outdid himself with the art in this episode; as you can see from the above, it takes crazy and twisted to a new level. Pretty effective.

I suppose I should have actually given the list when I made the initial post. My bad.

Finish watching Soul Eater
Finish watching Kekkai Sensen
Finish watching El-Hazard: The Wanderers
Knights of Sidonia S2
Summer Wars
Spice and Wolf S2
Baccano
My Neighbour Totoro
Howl's Moving Castle
Grave of the Fireflies
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Shuten Douji.
Watching all of the Dragon Ball Flims and specials (The Z ones at least)

Dammit, everyone is talking about Ushio and Tora and how good it apparently is, and I don't have the time to catch up. I was too busy watching terrible shows like Crimson Moon and shit...
im_so_embarassed_i_wish_everybody_else_was_dead.jpg

*looks at most recent posts*

Or maybe I'm not missing anything.

Honestly its still really enjoyable and I've been told by manga readers the ending is amazeballs so if they're rushing some of the middle stuff to have a well paced finale I'm cool with it.

Quasar

Nothing, nothing at all.... IT SUCKS!

Yeah. Overall I'm pretty bummed by the season. So far at least there's very little that's got me watching. Though there's a few shows I haven't got to try yet.

Hope the shoujo drought doesn't last long. Wish the josei drought would end too.

More time for manga I guess.

This is more like it. I wish had these moments this spring.

Who knows, maybe Hundred and/or Asterisk will deliver a few good moments at least.

Dude. Just watch soap operas if you're looking for steamy romance.

It's DEEN.

Your point is irrelevant!!!!!

Excuse me while I roll my eyes loudly.

Yeah. Overall I'm pretty bummed by the season. So far at least there's very little that's got me watching. Though there's a few shows I haven't got to try yet.

Hope the shoujo drought doesn't last long. Wish the josei drought would end too.

What drought? We just had Snow White with the Red Hair, we have 12-Sai and Shounen Maid this season, and there's Hatsukoi Monster and Orange next season. As far as josei goes, we had Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu last season and we'll have it again next season.

It's Takamatsu directing a comedy from solid source material, why focus on the studio?

As long as they make the episode feature multiple arcs, and show full swag I'm good with it. Doesn't take much to entertain me. I mean the best part of the P4G anime was the king scene, to have an entire manga/show based on that is the best.

Jarmel

Banned
Given the ordering of credits and the episode credits for the first two episodes:

Episode 1: SB Tsuda, ED Takamura
Episode 2: SB/ED Kato

I think Takamura's position is more like Chief Episode Director (enshutsu) than Chief Director in the sense that he's the top guy everyone else reports to. Takamura did only episode direction and never storyboarding on the previous seasons of Jojo as well. Pretty sure the hierarchy here is Tsuda > Kato > Takamura.

There's so many stylistic changes that I would have to imagine either Tsuda is more hands-off and either Kato/Takamura are doing a lot of the heavy lifting or Kato/Takamura are captaining the ship.

duckroll

Got up. Head still hurts badly. Feels like a full blown Akito hangover. Why did Akane do this to us. Why did Akane do this to himself... :(

What drought? We just had Snow White with the Red Hair, we have 12-Sai and Shounen Maid this season, and there's Hatsukoi Monster and Orange next season. As far as josei goes, we had Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu last season and we'll have it again next season.

Well 12-Sai is unlicensed and without any decent English translation.

Got up. Head still hurts badly. Feels like a full blown Akito hangover. Why did Akane do this to us. Why did Akane do this to himself... :(
It's interesting to see you in shock when I had been expecting Akito to end badly with the trajectory it was already heading in.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Mayoiga Episode 2:

I have come to the conclusion that I hate everybody in this shitpile and this is too stacked a season to wait for the cast to get offed in a worthwhile fashion. Dropped like that bus should have.

NP Narag.

Guess while I'm on the subject, Which two shows/ films on the list (Barring the DBZ flims) should I start with?

My Neighbor Totoro and Grave of the Fireflies. Do a double-bill like was originally intended!

There's so many stylistic changes that I would have to imagine either Tsuda is more hands-off and either Kato/Takamura are doing a lot of the heavy lifting or Kato/Takamura are captaining the ship.

There's a notable stylistic change to be sure, but it's not like Tsuda is hands-off when he storyboarded the first episode and Kato did a lot of the heavy lifting on the previous seasons of Jojo (Takamura not so much). I know it's speculated that Kato is the main reason for the change, since he has the best resume out of the directors involved, but I imagine it was a group decision.

duckroll

It's interesting to see you in shock when I had been expecting Akito to end badly with the trajectory it was already heading in.

It's not about it ending "badly", it's about how much of a mess it is thematically and how confused it feels at the end with what it wanted to be at all. Bad anime is a dime a dozen, no one really cares if something is bad because most shows are disposable trash anyway. It's a lot stranger when a talented director decides to dedicated 7 years of his career in crafting an OVA for a popular franchise only to get worse and worse at it as it goes along before shitting the bed completely by trying to say things with the ending which seems in opposition with the tone of the rest of the series. It's not just bad storytelling, it's just.... why.

Defuser

SWAGAMOTO ep 1

I can't believe the director use the same volleyball gag 3 times not only in a episode but rather this is the 3rd time he use it in 2 other shows. Daily Lives of High School Boys and DT Ixion saga, and Sugita is involved in all 3 volleyball gags, it's getting kinda stale and overused.

Other than that, decent adapatation. Swagamoto too swag.

Gvitor

Mayoiga 02

Yeah, nothing really happened this episode. I still feel like the whole situation with the bus driver is a bit ridiculous. He tried to kill them, then they ignored him, betrayed him, and then he got back. What.

That all said, it's a show that gets me curious. Unfortunately I found it highly unlikely that they'll really kill off those two offscreen, since the weird girl is one of them. And I want them to start dropping characters really fast so I can maybe somehow memorize some of the names of the 30+ characters, lol.

ED song is pretty great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom