• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qurupeke

Soremachi 6

po0t314.jpg
dV9REbt.jpg

Several different skits, several different subjects, several different jokes. And the show does everything nicely. Even at the very last seconds, I laughed at Hotori pretending to catch a cold in order not to be the idiot, as far as her perception is concerned. lol

Arabesque

Can't disagree with the inherent weakness of the format and its scheduling issues, at least with respect to what Akane wanted to accomplish. The OVA certainly didn't become popular enough to make a lasting impact on most of the public, yet the future of the Code Geass property remains to be seen. In terms of additional in-universe expansions...we could still see them re-use a couple of concepts or elements introduced by Akito the Exiled, sooner or later, though I don't really expect the same cast of characters to be revisited.

I doubt they'd want to revisit the cast since their story is complete, much in the same way there is no point in revisiting the parent series cast after the ending of the show because what is there to see? They got their happy ending and everything turned up peaches for them.

Thinking about it some more, had the series maintained a somewhat consitant schedule or the story maintained its quality, it could've worked out alright. The lack of either those things has caused it to fall to the wayside as time went on and people generally moved on, which didn't work in its favour when it didn't manage to show why they should go back and give the OVA's another try.

Even so, I don't think it can be called an outright failure. It didn't succeed in the expansion since I don't think there is much to explore in this setting outside other small time personal stories, but it didn't turn off people off Code Geass entirety.

We don't have any real figures for how the various (untranslated) manga and novel releases performed in Japan, but it's not exactly unusual for those formats to maintain a lower profile than the animated works. None of them are sequels to the original story though. But sales numbers for both the Akito the Exiled discs and the more recent re-releases of the original TV series suggest the brand still has an above average commercial appeal at this point. I think Sunrise will just take a step back for a while, attempt to bring in someone else and try again with either another TV series or a full-length movie of some sort. As a partially relevant comparison, Studie Nue didn't immediately give up on an entire IP right after the whole Macross II debacle. There are many other alternatives left for the studio, so they're not going to stop after making a single OVA series.

I used Macross Zero over II for a reason :p I don't think the franchise is dead because of the lukewarm reception the OVA series had, because we can see from the sales that there is still some decent interest in the franchise as a while and the side series, and we know there is an audience given how popular the show used to be.

It's more so that none of the spin off novel/manga had managed to move on beyond the confines of the series timeline. There were some that took alternate takes on the methos, but that went nowhere because it wasn't good. The other like the spin off with the twins still worked as a side story during the events of the main show, so it faced a similar problem. It's like there is a general lack of vision of where the franchise needs to go after the show concluded, and thus they keep making it remain at where it was.

I agree that they need to bring someone else after sometime to attempt to try again. Preferably with a TV show or at least if they do go the OVA/movie route again, they'd at least make sure it is suitable and interesting enough.

But there is one major difference: it really did feel like an appropriate ending for the TV series. After all, there was a higher cost, one way or another, for several characters.

I thought about it a bit, and I think you're right here. But more so because thematically, this is a story that should've ended in tragedy given that the EU story in Code Geass ends with them being taken out completely, and Lelouch finishing the job so throughly that nothing stand by the end until he falls.

It's kind of odd seeing that it's a happy ending in that sense, but I guess I still don't mind it being so. The OVA's problems extend far beyond its ending haha

Yeah, I remember reading Masters of Rome as a young lad and being amazed that at some point I had become completely enthralled by reading about an aging senator attempting to push a land reform bill through the senate so he could make good on his promise to his legions, and in turn, gradually creating a narrative where armies were beholden to their generals and not to their country

From everything I read about the subject, it always came across as being a problem that was present in every culture where the power would be contested between the landed elite and the military leaders, but it was more extreme in Roman culture because of the desire of constant expansion and growing up to lead the legionaries.

It made sense for the legions to be more concerned with their generals rather than their country, because the nation of Rome didn't want to deal so much with the hassle of paying their soldier unless they had to, so it was simpler having the guy leading them to figure out how to make his brothers in arm happy. Also helps whe they become a tightly knit group of soldiers who fight to protect each other's lives, makes it a lot more personal to follow your general into battle then.

I have Dynasty sat on the shelf for me to read. Must get around to that...

I read somewhat through it, and I need to get back to finish it soon. Once you get to Tiberus and Caligula sections it will be hard to believe and read what they have done to the court and how on earth could have gotten away with it.

The ancient world is just fascinating - I do say this as a Classicist by trade, mind you. That said, I can't get excited about Roman Britain. I've come to realise that I just don't find my own country particularly interesting; I like living here (aside from the dreadful weather), but I'm far more interested in what's going on or happened in other places.

I'm sort of the opposite. Roman Britian is fascinating to me because of how much history future Emperors (or would be Emperors) had with the little island, and how much the Romans changed it and then left it for centuries off the grid to fend for itself. Seeing the Roman constructions in Bath or Hadrian's Wall is always a really cool and you can feel, as cliche as it sounds, the weight of history there.

But that just me.

(I'm also more of a literature/philosophy man than a historian, mind you; I'm not particularly interested in the minutiae of economics or military strategy, I just like stories. Imperial scandal and intrigue I can handle; where Alexander the Great chose to station his sarissa-wielders and why sends me off to sleep.)

With the notable exception of Alexander Senki, the Classical world is markedly untapped as a source by anime (alright, fine, Thermae Romae kind of counts). Saint Seiya steals the iconography but not the spirit of Classical mythology. Part of me keeps meaning to get around to watching Arslan in terms of its depiction of quasi-Persia, I suppose.

(But you can at least be impressed that he made the island of Tyre disappear right? :p)

I think that it is a case what's currently in style now in anime. Historical shows need to be popular before Historical anime takes off.

Not much of a problem in manga however, where the selection is well worth investing in.

Arslan is a show I've been meaning to get into, but always fail to find the time for. Maybe once the second season comes around I'll get to watching the first.

At least Akane is now free

Maybe he needs to direct an anime set in Rome.

Tuck

Kiznaiver - 1
Wow that was way better than I was expecting. I was actually really engaged. And the MC wasn't nearly as bad as I thought he would be.

Yup, I'm gonna keep on with this.

A lot of shows with good animation this season!

phaze

Kiznaiver - 1
Wow that was way better than I was expecting. I was actually really engaged. And the MC wasn't nearly as bad as I thought he would be.

Yup, I'm gonna keep on with this.

A lot of shows with good animation this season!

Reminder that first episodes are always a bunch of filthy lies.

jonjonaug

Sakamoto - I'm really mad at whoever did VA direction for this show. Having such a passionless performance out of this cast is terrible.

Narag

Sakamoto - I'm really mad at whoever did VA direction for this show. Having such a passionless performance out of this cast is terrible.

I was thinking the same last night when I was trying to figure out why someone was trying to sound like Nobuyuki Hiyama. Imagine my surprise when...

Wanderer5

Well now that Kiznaiver is out, think that is it I wanted to see this season. I pretty much going to drop Ace Attorney. Not just that it feels so sub par and lacks some charm that the games have (even through Ep 2 was a improvement), but also now that I have found a decent amount of originals or stuff that I haven't checked out before, I pretty much dropping anything that I been through already in some form (unless it is really REALLY good, which for AA that has not been the case so far). For the summer I likely watch Berserk and maybe look at D.Gray-Man through, particularly if I don't find much else during that season.

I will give one more episode regarding Mayoiga, but I might just put that on hold depending my mood, cause I think I just want to mostly see it for the possible deaths ha ha. That will leave Joker Game, Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, Space Patrol Luluco, and Kiznaiver then. Hopefully those beside Luluco don't fall flat in second episode lol.

Narag

I'm not dropping it either, at least till 1-4, but I can't see many people sticking to it. It fails to captivate new fans, it's essentially there for people that already played the games, but it barely does anything to make it seem like a new experience.

It's got the most important bullet point of all for me though:
it airs at a convenient time.

jgminto

Kiznaiver 1
The Year of Okada is in full swing! And we're starting at a very bizarre place with this. A lot of the episode had a dream-like atmosphere that made it difficult to comprehend even though the concept of the group being connected and sharing pain somehow is simple enough. I wonder if they will be linked in ways other than pain as well. Perhaps it will lead to a Sense8 style scenario where they can communicate and use each other's knowledge and experience in a tough situation.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Tanaka-kun 01
Everything here just kind of falls through the cracks for me. The characters and their interactions are a little too simplistic, so this kind of just has to rely completely on its comedy, which just sort of kept passing by me. The shows continuously carefree attitude and revelry it takes in lethargy creates this saccharine but still flavorless bubble around the main character. Personally, that sort of atmosphere around "listlessness" feels pretty hollow, but when these sort of emotions are presented as fun philosophical choices that help you bond with people I guess everyone is in for a good time.

Flying Witch 1
A nice relaxing show to watch after work. The mandrake bit was quite good.

Tanaka-kun 1

Yeah, the comedy in this didn't connect with me at all. The pacing and rhythm of the jokes just felt continuously off, scenes were either way too long and lost steam before they got to the punch line or they were incredibly short and lacked sufficient build-up. Watching a comedy and then actually feeling conscious about how you are not reacting at all to a comedic bit is a pretty poor sign. I was actually excited for this and now I don't think I'll watch another episode. :(

Fireblend

Banned
I just want to say I've been watching Pokemon XY on Netflix and the episode where Clemont reunites with and catches Luxio was super heartwarming. Such a good show for having on the background while doing other stuff, it's a shame I just exhausted the episodes available on Netflix.

jgminto

Tanaka-kun 1
What a wonderfully charming surprise. It's been a while since I've watched a feel good, slowly paced slice of life comedy. Tanaka and Ohta are a delightful pairing, Ohta's admiration for Tanaka's dedication to his listless lifestyle makes for adorable commentary through the episode. I'm excited to see how the other characters will factor into the show in future episodes.

Sterok

Aikatsu Stars 1

Looks like this takes place in a new universe. It's going to be weird watching Aikatsu without Ichigo there somewhere. Except S4 are dead ringers for Ichigo, Aoi, Ran, and Otome. Blue one is already the best. So Yume is another natural prodigy like Ichigo, though performing so good without realizing it is something different. Koharu is the childhood friend and still inferior to Aoi (though everyone is). But she'll have time to prove herself. Laura is going to be great. New Johnny is fun. Hopefully the individuality thing pulls through and everyone isn't just a bunch of expies of the originals, which seems to be holding true so far.

Yu-Gi-Oh! ARC-V 99 & 100
CfoMgZZXIAEBDVg.jpg

Okay I feel deceived for this being a ~1hr special yet the second half was basically a grand overview of the entire arc with a few brief moments of dueling :/

Oh well arc gave us another JACK smile like he does in doujins and fanfics for Judai. Too bad Ive not seen him look this happy ever in 5DS thus far.

I wonder how many episode this will be as I expected them to go to Academia, not to Heartland.

Kiznaiver 1
Okada is going to go places with this one. Hopefully it's entertaining when it runs completely off the rails because I'm getting M3 vibes from this.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Yu-Gi-Oh! ARC-V 99 & 100
CfoMgZZXIAEBDVg.jpg

Okay I feel deceived for this being a ~1hr special yet the second half was basically a grand overview of the entire arc with a few brief moments of dueling :/

Oh well arc gave us another JACK smile like he does in doujins and fanfics for Judai. Too bad Ive not seen him look this happy ever in 5DS thus far.

I wonder how many episode this will be as I expected them to go to Academia, not to Heartland.

The fuck that looks creepy. Jack Atlas pretty much never smiles in 5D's the closest I remember is that OVA where he smirks after he loses to Yusei.

Jintor

It bothers me just how much the story falls apart towards the end, I mean I was genuinely surprised
they killed off Oracle, I even went detective mode to make sure it wasn't an illusion and confirmed she was dead. Then they just roll her back out an explain it as a case of fear gas (Should be noted ALL of Batman's delusions in the game have no skeletons with the exception of Oracle!)

If Arkham Knight was an anime, it'd be Erased this season :<

yeah honestly I was really hoping that would stick. I thought they were pulling out all the stops cos it was 'the last in the trilogy' or whatever

Mailbox

KIZNAIVER Episode 1

I... I'm surprised.
That was quite good. Quite very good. yeah. Surprised Trigger pulled off a serious tone here (though there is some comedy, but its well done). Excited for more, but i'll keep my expectations in check.

Trigger's animation style is something i need to get used to again.

Intrigued!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom