• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aki-at

Tanaka-kun - 1

At times, the lethargic attitude of the main character is so infectious it kills the comedy, while at other times the jokes manage to come off but I enjoyed it more than was bored by it. Shame no show has grabbed me in the humour department this year so far.

Pokemon XYZ - 1

I decided to give it a chance since so many people were enjoying it. It was okay, nothing special but maybe it's because it was the first episode. Not sure if I'm going to watch another, might give Pokemon Origins a go next instead.

yeah honestly I was really hoping that would stick. I thought they were pulling out all the stops cos it was 'the last in the trilogy' or whatever

Between that and
Arkham Knight obviously being Jason Toad
killed most of the positive momentum the game had. The final act that has zero challenge really brings down a game with a great opening act.

Puruzi

Banned
Pokemon XYZ - 1

I decided to give it a chance since so many people were enjoying it. It was okay, nothing special but maybe it's because it was the first episode. Not sure if I'm going to watch another, might give Pokemon Origins a go next instead.

XY is first, XYZ is the season after

Tanaka-kun 01

Ehh I thought I was gonna like this but idk. I'll give it another episode or two, but I felt bored most of the time, and Tanaka being sleepy or lazy got old real quick.

Jintor

Between that and
Arkham Knight obviously being Jason Toad
killed most of the positive momentum the game had. The final act that has zero challenge really brings down a game with a great opening act.

i can't believe they were going with "WHO IS THE ARKHAM KNIIIGGGGHHTTTT" for so long.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Boku dake ga Inai Machi
Just a pretty fizzling effort that seemed like a very awkward amalgamation of all sorts of unrelated ideas. Its core is built around time travel, and while the show regularly reminds you that it is an aspect of the show, it's hard to feel like it is a necessary storytelling device for what is being delivered. Nothing about the mystery itself is all that satisfying, and it's hard to not feel that Satoru's self appointed quest of martyrdom has short-sighted and selfish motivations. In spite of his power being used to help all sorts of people early on, its real purpose is to benefit those closest to him. It doesn't help that the clear pruning done to the story has left all sorts of vestigial pieces that actually detract from the pacing. The wide variety of cliffhangers without followup or resolution sort of just highlights how cheap and without purpose the story can feel.

Grimgar
Grimgar handwaves away its contrived world set up early on, but the feeling of characters outside the party and the setting feeling like cardboard set pieces never really seems to drift away. This fantasy world is simply leaned on for its familiarity, and for all the time the show spends mulling over its scenery while insert songs play, the legwork was never really done to justify reflecting on the space, themes, or events presented. The show's unique artstyle has brief moments where things seem to click, but wild inconsistency leads to lots of lousy digital paint work, sometimes fit to maligned CG scenery, and the characters regularly refuse to gel with the environment.

KonoSuba
Mostly amusing, but this show finds a comfort zone early on that it doesn't really leave in the back half of the season. It's good for the audience to expect the characters to operate in a certain way, but the scenarios themselves don't really push heavy moments of discomfort on these characters often enough to create surprising moments that would make this a memorable comedy.

Phantom World
Amusing situations by phantoms warping the expected world popped up often enough for the well animated action to carry me through on this. The emotional calls Phantom World were, quite expectedly, something you just nod through until they pass. At the very least, it is forward and to the point with its themes and arcs, so little outside of the multi-episode finale ever feels like it gets tangled up on itself.

Dagashi Kashi
I have a difficult time evaluating what's here. The historical exploration and fun facts about candy can be enjoyable, but at a certain point their delivery begins to feel a bit formulaic, and the subject matter is too thin for it to be delivered in such large quantities. The character interactions can still be really strong though, which comes to really shine as the series moves into a more natural state where everything doesn't revolve around candy. Saya is probably the best about pushing Dagashi Kashi to that place. The end note for the show reassures all of the characters that the pleasant world state is okay to relax and enjoy, but the length at which this is dragged out sort of weighs on all the events in a way that makes everything seem unchanging and meaningless.

Akagami no Shirayuki-hime S2
The extended cast got their chance to shine in a more dynamic light, but the insight into the past of a number of characters didn't feel particularly revealing. A number of things happened, but it's sort of difficult to feel that most of them really changed the trajectory of where things were moving, so the series kind of left me just holding on to a bunch of promises. When it's hard to imagine Bones working on more of this...that's not exactly a position I like being put in.

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
The story of Yakumo/Bon was something that really felt like it was worth being wrapped up in, but the awkward framing of the story shines a light on Yotarou as his predecessor at what feels like should be critical moments. Yotarou never really succeeds as feeling like anything more than Sukeroku's spiritual offspring, but the time skip leaves this void around Yakumo's relationship with Sukeroku's physical legacy: his daughter. I wish the sound design was able to match pace with the highs that the visual direction hits, and that some of the rakugo performances felt less like low lights that lacked energizing framing or presentation, but things felt technically more complete as the show went on and found more opportunities to indulge the more fantastical elements of its storytelling nature. Highlight of the season.

Oshiete! Galko-chan
Similar to Dagashi Kashi, Galko-chan hits a point where the delivery of factoids just feels perfunctory. There aren't really interesting or clever situations. The characters don't really alter how they think, feel, or act towards one another, and the comedy quickly loses both ambition and punch. Unlike Dagashi Kashi, the bond these characters have just feels somewhat forced and not particularly worth peering in on. When the finale serves as sort of an origin story it feels like there's nothing really here.

Sekkou_Boys
Works well with its concept to explore interesting ideas early on, but things are maybe too grounded even when the show seems ready to shift off its tracks to do something crazy. Playing an absurd premise in a manner that's straight is fine to a certain extent, but it feels like there was room for a more creative climax that the show never really found.

Nurse Witch Komugi-chan R
Good-natured and amusing, this series found a way to way to click with a tone that matched the characters and leverage its irreverence while adhering to the protocols one might expect from a magical girl show.

Koukaku no Pandora
There's a strong positivity surrounding Pandora that sort of just made everything work for me. It lifts the character interactions, and even when the series toys with complex subjects it never really asks for much more than consideration that follows the optimism of the cast. There's a personality this show carries that wound up making it unique and enjoyable for me.

Narag

Good writeup, dimb. Your sentiments about Erased feel like what my expectations were and I'm not sure I can be bothered to finish.

Danball Senki 8
Pi16D4gl.jpg

cliffhangered :(

Pokemon XYZ - 1

Definitely watch Pokemon Origins. Its what the anime should have always been. Competent trainer, thrilling battles, great animation.

Kiznaiver 01

First time I hear Trance in an anime OP ahaha, it's pretty good! Also, whereas Kabaneri looks good in a sense of how detailed and beautiful the shading and the sort of 90s look to the characters is, Kiznaiver looks really good with vibrant colours and modern and stylish character and environment design. The tracks used within the episode are pretty damn good too, the
Gomorin scene with the disco lights
was a good example of it. The idea itself is pretty neat of how these kids share pain amongst themselves too. Will definitely continue this one as I'm very intrigued by the whole thing. This episode was exposition through and through, so I wanna see just what they need to fight, and why these kids were the ones who were selected. Why go after "sins"?

Mailbox

Tanaka-kun is Always Listless Episode 1

This was fine, but only fine.

I feel like this is the kind of show that will only get better as more characters get introduced and we see the interactions between them, others, and Tanaka.

Not bad at all, will keep watching.

Flying Witch 01

The voice acting is quite relaxed, which fits the whole mood of the show. The environments look quite lovely and peaceful as well, this is a very feelsgood show. The bit with the mandrake actually had me rolling.

So yeah, Kiznaiver and Flying Witch are sure locks. Tanaka is gonna have to do a little more than it did on its first episode for me to go beyond its second or third episodes. Way too simple and one-noted for me.

Joker Game 1

3yBZuyb.jpg

His shock that the spies would even consider such a possibility was revealing.

Now that I've gotten the chance to watch this properly, I can say that this wasn't a barnburner out of the gate, but it shows promise. This episode basically set up the premise of the spy agency and their philosophy to their work, through the perspective of a straight-laced observer from the military proper sent to keep an eye on the agency. I liked the tension in the scenes between him and the agency spies, particularly in the smoke-filled cafeteria. Aside from the ending scene, Kenji Kawai's score isn't as bombastic as I expected, which I appreciate. It captures some of the atmosphere that's in his best work while being appropriate for the period and the tone this show is going for. The real test for the show won't be the resolution of this conflict next week, but when the show starts going into episodic spy adventures with the third episode. I'm not sure if a half-hour episode will be enough to tell compelling stories in this format, but we shall see.

Hmm, if I were to rank how much Iliked the first episode of what I'm watching this season, it'd go:

1 - Kabaneri
2 - Kiznaiver
3 - Flying Witch
4 - Re: Zero
5 - Bungou Stray Dogs
6 - Joker Game
7 - Tanaka-kun

This will most likely change over the course of the season. Again, Tanaka is very close to being dropped.

Gvitor

Flying Witch 01

Such a heartwarming show. Just overall happy. And I got a few laughs out of it too. One of the best first episodes this season, for sure.

Cornbread78

Mayoiga ep.2

Ok, this was all set -up for next week. The rapper dude is a creepy rapey douche and needs to die first. We know the girl lives because she is all over the OP and concept art, but interesting way to set everything up. Not too shocking that the village is empty and the weird stuff going on. Decent set-up episode, but a little slow. Hopefully, the real action and drama starts to kick in next week.

Moonlight

Banned
Flying Witch 1

There's a sense of warmth and subdued positivity to this show that I haven't really experienced in anything since Yama no Susume. Which would, uh, make sense, but I think Flying Witch more immediately excels in inviting you into its' atmosphere of serenity. From the soft outlines and colours, to the plain but charming music, there's just something so immediately pleasant about everything. Particularly in how the cast interacts with one another, fun and natural conversations really elevated by fun character expressions and animation.

More than anything, I love it when a story sort of demystifies the nature of magic, not by weighing it down in complex rules or rationalizations, but instead by making it seem much more like a natural extension of the way things are. The majesty of flying on brooms counter-balanced by the admission that such things aren't comfortable to ride, and generally just how muted it is in how it's represented. It oddly enough, makes it all the more special when it does manifest. Flying Witch rides this very comfortable line between the fantastic and the mundane, where it really feels like both are serving the other.

Flying Witch, I think, had the best foot forward of any show of the season. Looking forward to the rest.

Puruzi

Banned
Wait, I just read it again and it still doesn't sound overly positive, lol.
I saw highlight of the season and I think I remember dimb being positive about the show as it was airing.

Well they normally just give impressions. And its useful for many folks unwilling to give every show in a season a 1-3 episode try.

Yeah, I give impressions too. But there are people that seem to be reviewing entire shows based on one episode alone. It's weird. Not talking about this thread.

Hmm, if I were to rank how much Iliked the first episode of what I'm watching this season, it'd go:

1 - Kabaneri
2 - Kiznaiver
3 - Flying Witch
4 - Re: Zero
5 - Bungou Stray Dogs
6 - Joker Game
7 - Tanaka-kun

This will most likely change over the course of the season. Again, Tanaka is very close to being dropped.

Kiznaiver that high?

Best eps 1s

Super Lovers
Endride
Shonen Maid
Macross Delta
RE:Zero

Narag

Joker Game 1

Destined to be the show conveniently forgotten when people complain about the lack of adult protags this season.

Aki-at

Joker Game - 1

So I'm guessing
Sakuma is a false protagonist set to die in the next episode?
because all the trailers and marketing focused on
Miyoshi being the main character.
An interesting first episode and the premise is different enough, but there isn't anyone for me to really root for here yet and I'm still concerned how this show is going to deal with Japan's past. So far though it's got me interested for the next episode.

Attack on Trains - 1

Now I wasn't quite expecting to like this as much as I did. I must admit I've never watched a single episode of Attack on Titan, infact my biggest exposure to the franchise is still Attack on Hundred-Acre Wood, but I think this was my favourite opening episode so far this season, so now I expect it all to be downhill from here haha. Could tell from the opening scene that I was going to love the setting and the protagonist so far seems likeable, excited to check the next episode.

Sakamoto - 1

Outside of one moment, not even a chuckle out of me. Dropped.

XY is first, XYZ is the season after

Yeah my nephew filled me in on it, not sure about it though. Don't usually go with a 50+ episode show unless there's a clear ending to it!

i can't believe they were going with "WHO IS THE ARKHAM KNIIIGGGGHHTTTT" for so long.

I've been on a proper media blackout on this game
even didn't know Joker was in it in any form!
and yet I could see that twist coming with a ten meter pole haha.

Definitely watch Pokemon Origins. Its what the anime should have always been. Competent trainer, thrilling battles, great animation.

Charmander/Charizard was always my favourite Pokemon so I'm definitely interested in it, helps that the show is only 4 episodes long.

Gvitor

Do we count REzero 1B as 1st episode also?

1.Kabaneri
2.Flying Witch
3.Re:zero(1B)
4.Boku no Hero Academia
5.Kiznaiver
6.Re:zero (1A)
7.Mayoiga
8.Asterisk
9.Haifuri
10.Ace Attorney
11.Bungou Stray Dogs
12.Twin Stars Exorcists
13.Joker Game

I really need to catch up with AssClass.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Quick summary:

Everything was shit except the, young girl android yuri show.

Got it, lol.
Of the eleven shows on that list I gave nine a score of five or higher (out of ten). If a show falls into the 5-7 range and has a lot of critical praise I'm more likely to highlight the areas where I feel the show let me down, or wasn't able to mature into something memorable or genuinely strong. At the same time, if there was a show I'd rate a seven that did not really have much conversation around it I would imagine that most people can already identify its shortcomings, so I'd rather emphasize the pieces that did work for me. Beyond that, the general theme of the season for me was that I found shows to be competent or enjoyable, but very little was stuff that stood out, or qualified as something I would recommend to other people unless they fit into a very particular niche.

Someone asked me to write up general impressions for the season so I figured I would just post it here. There are more specific ratings on MAL but I don't really think breaking those out to include with the post is really that worthwhile. I actually avoided doing write ups on shows I dropped or had extremely negative impressions on because I did not feel that it would be worth my time.

Narag

JoJo and ConRevo were the only things that evoked any thought after watching episode 1 of the season past marking it as started on MAL.

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress 1

I like the design work; I just wish it wasn't being used for Araki's typical loud blockbuster schlock. If I wanted zombies I'd go play Resident Evil 4; if I wanted people yelling at me for half an hour I'd go discuss politics. I'll just observe other people's impressions to see how badly the production ends up rushed. The kind of detail they're going for is insane for a TV production and even in this first episode you can see cracks.

Aki-at

Since we're doing lists

1. Kabaneri - Definite watch
2. Diamond is Unbreakable - Definite watch
3. Kuma Miko - So far so good
4. Joker Game - So far so good
5. Hero Academia - So far so good
6. Tananka is so listless - Will see how next episodes are
7. Kiznaiver - Will see how next episodes are
8. Sakamoto - Dropped
9. Luluco - Dropped

Cornbread78

Of the eleven shows on that list I gave nine a score of five or higher (out of ten). If a show falls into the 5-7 range and has a lot of critical praise I'm more likely to highlight the areas where I feel the show let me down, or wasn't able to mature into something memorable or genuinely strong. At the same time, if there was a show I'd rate a seven that did not really have much conversation around it I would imagine that most people can already identify its shortcomings, so I'd rather emphasize the pieces that did work for me. Beyond that, the general theme of the season for me was that I found shows to be competent or enjoyable, but very little was stuff that stood out, or qualified as something I would recommend to other people unless they fit into a very particular niche.

Someone asked me to write up general impressions for the season so I figured I would just post it here. There are more specific ratings on MAL but I don't really think breaking those out to include with the post is really that worthwhile. I actually avoided doing write ups on shows I dropped or had extremely negative impressions on because I did not feel that it would be worth my time.

Got yeah. It sounded like you just hated everything, so it's hard to tell, but that makes sense, lol. I'm way too libral in my scoring because there's not much I really hate, but I'm always interested to see how others rate things.

Aki-at

I thought this is what the lists were for

Yeah same here since I'm kind of expecting Attack on Trains to fall apart with more episodes, JoJo ending up as a solid and constantly good but not quite spectacular show and Hero Academia overtaking them all. The comedy shows are the wild cards at the moment for me.

Cornbread78

For first episodes.... hmm:

- Twin Star Exorcist
- Kabaneri
- MHA
- Re;Zero
- Mayoiga
- Cerberus
- Netoge
- Hundred
- Endride
- Kuma Miko

Summary:
Too many shows...

Narag

If they legit kill off the idiot "lead" in Joker Game, that would be legit great.

The decoy protagonist trope needs to be used more.

Watching it makes me think he was setup to indebt his life to the agency or at the very least to put him in a position to erase his past under a faked death to erase his military connections.

If they legit kill off the idiot "lead" in Joker Game, that would be legit great.

The decoy protagonist trope needs to be used more.

It'd be kind of a waste for a 12 episode show to spend 2 episodes on one character and then kill him off. Well maybe the 2nd episode will advance the others beyond smirking dudes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom