• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why did you go back and watch Parasyte? It ranks in the same tier of completely forgettable shows as stuff like Captain Earth and Terror in Resonance. I'd recommend people watch absolute garbage over those because at least they'll get something memorable out of it.

It was on Toonami.

The sentai dub is really...not great. Shinichi sounds like he's drunk in a lot of emotional moments.

JCG

Another episode, sorry. I think I can guess what the rest of the show will be like, though, tonally.

Sure. For better or for worse, you really can't ask the Tetsuro Araki + HiyorukI Sawano duo to ever deliver much subtlety. Nine times out of ten, that's going to be the opposite of why anyone ever hires them. And well...they're making a show about zombies of all things.

Line_HTX

Why did you go back and watch Parasyte? It ranks in the same tier of completely forgettable shows as stuff like Captain Earth and Terror in Resonance. I'd recommend people watch absolute garbage over those because at least they'll get something memorable out of it.

I didn't want to pick it back up, but man, I had to support Toonami's ratings. I was beginning to get psyched to as it got closer to the end, and then I felt the crash and burn like some energy drink wearing off.

As for the dub performance, well, other companies and a better director would've done a better job than Sentai's phoning in. It's too bad that Shinichi was not that great in his performance.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Boku no Hero Academia Episode 2:

I'll be honest, I wasn't expecting the price to pay for being a hero trope to be played this soon but it was clear that it was a card that needed to be played. Indeed the situation that All Might finds himself in is the first interesting thing this series has pulled thus far. Yea, still not going to lie here, I do not get the hype. Not a bad show by any means but has absolutely done nothing so far to raise its profile above other airing shonen like Ushio and Tora or Assassination Classroom and perhaps that is a tad unfair given only two episodes have passed but such is the weight of expectations.

Qurupeke

My Hero Academia 2
VpgHouf.jpg
I hope people watched the preview, in order to understand where this is going, and it's not the Batman route. Anyway, it continues to look great and I love the action in it. And I loved the song that played during the rescue.

Jintor

Tanaka-san is Listless 1

Someone said before the show's main gimmick snatches all the energy out of this and I thoroughly agree - sometimes. I feel like the adaption is pretty decent and looks nice, the direction is nice and languid, but I feel like it works better when there's energy to contrast it against.

However I did burst out laughing a few times, mainly because Ohta, despite being the straight man of this comedy duo, brings enough energy that a few of the jokes do good.

Also, it's really been a while since I watched a bro anime.

LOL he fucking live transposed the piece into minor

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I still see people recommend Parasyte. I thought troll recommendations were bannable. At least with School Days one Google search will put you off. Parasyte, on the other hand, sounds cool on paper so Googling it will probably make you think nothing is wrong. And then you watch it and still think 'hey this could be cool' and then bam you're hit with mediocrity, but you've watched too much to stop and thus you hate yourself for the whole remainder.

Szadek

Sakamoto desu ga? Ep. 1
Fuck you, Physics!
giphy.gif

This anime is about a guy doing random shit and looking awesome while doing it.
I have a feeling that this show is going to be episodic and I'm not sure how long it will take before the formula gets old, but for now it's a ton of fun.

jediyoshi

any good?

I like it. Nice designs, consistent art. Sets up what looks like a meaty story/mystery already. Narratively avoids the weird dissonance problem GuP has as far as firing live weapons at each other. I also personally prefer watching stuff that aren't adaptions, makes it easier to lurk discussions outside GAF.

Boku no Hero Academia Episode 2:

I'll be honest, I wasn't expecting the price to pay for being a hero trope to be played this soon but it was clear that it was a card that needed to be played. Indeed the situation that All Might finds himself in is the first interesting thing this series has pulled thus far. Yea, still not going to lie here, I do not get the hype. Not a bad show by any means but has absolutely done nothing so far to raise its profile above other airing shonen like Ushio and Tora or Assassination Classroom and perhaps that is a tad unfair given only two episodes have passed but such is the weight of expectations.

This is where the first chapter of the manga ended so I can kind of get not getting the hype since it took a few chapters
till chapter 3
for it to go from interesting premise to the hype it's gotten.

My Hero Academia 2

Its weird how this has good and bad pacing at the same time, good in that nothing drags in the anime adaptation so far, bad because it took 2 episodes to get to the point where really episode 1 should have ended like the manga. It's basically a wash since Deku and All Mights set up is pretty critical for the series going forward and it was still very entertaining to see it animated.

jordisok

Probably because most people (like me) were ignoring them and just letting them expire most of the time. They also seem unneeded in an era where CR is the go to site for legal anime simulcast at this point.

♪ Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
Till it's gone ♪

same

BluWacky

But it's gotten even more fragmented now though, with both Amazon and Netflix picking up shows (even if Netflix doesn't simulcast)

Neither of those services, however, are ones you buy only if you're an anime fan. I pay my Amazon sub for the fast postage (I order a LOT of stuff off Amazon!) so the video is an added bonus, and my Netflix sub for pretty much anything EXCEPT anime.

While a completionist is going to want to go for every service possible, I suppose, I don't think any of the titles that Netflix has picked up are product-sellers - arguably Kabaneri might convince some people to pick up Amazon Prime, but I'm not sure about that.

While one provider having a monopoly makes it easier for the consumer, I'm not against different people picking up different things as long as there's an equal viewing platform - as in it is legally possible for me, as a consumer, to access all of those. Region restrictions - and, until recently, the impossibility of viewing Funimation titles outside the US - are more of a bugbear than multiple providers.

The cost and benefit of each service is low enough that it's not a barrier to entry unless you're struggling to make ends meet or just don't want to pay, in which case there are a million alternatives for you anyway, so I'm not sure how much it damages either the consumer or the provider.

jediyoshi

Was there any dissonance? I think the show sold the whole thing as so absurd it was easy to rationalise it away as basically magic bullets for me.

Still too hand wave-y for me. I settled on the same thing, but it only works if I don't think about it. It feels like this is a response to GuP where they can accept the silly premise of school girls operating war machines, but also explicitly accepts the idea of actually using them.

Was there any dissonance? I think the show sold the whole thing as so absurd it was easy to rationalise it away as basically magic bullets for me.

I think Mizushima explained it quite well. They add so many absurd elements like the school carriers until the idea that girls operating tanks was like one least absurd things.

And it worked.

duckroll

Concrete Revolutio 14

The vocal track that played after Shiba shot the spaceman was super rad. I hope the soundtrack has an extended version.

It probably won't be on the soundtrack but it's an insert song which is already available on iTunes and various places. It's a cover of Tsunehiko Kamijo's Tabidachi no Uta by Cutemen. The original song was released in November 1971 (Showa 46), and is the same song that is sung by the characters throughout the episode.

Edit: Oh, looks like it'll be on the "OST" after all.

http://www.lantis.jp/news.php?id=1460106000
http://www.lantis.jp/news.php?id=1458982800

They're releasing a composite album for The Last Song on June 29, and it'll be a 2CD album that has both the soundtrack and all the insert songs for the series!

It probably won't be on the soundtrack but it's an insert song which is already available on iTunes and various places. It's a cover of Tsunehiko Kamijo's Tabidachi no Uta by Cutemen. The original song was released in November 1971 (Showa 46), and is the same song that is sung by the characters throughout the episode.

Edit: Oh, looks like it'll be on the "OST" after all.

http://www.lantis.jp/news.php?id=1460106000
http://www.lantis.jp/news.php?id=1458982800

They're releasing a composite album for The Last Song on June 29, and it'll be a 2CD album that has both the soundtrack and all the insert songs for the series!

Oh, that's cool. I didn't even realize it was the same song. I'll have to keep an eye out for that album. Thanks!

Qurupeke

Soremachi 7-12 [END]
The second half proved to be very different to the rest of the series, and it wasn't just because Moriaki sensei didn't appear often. They took a different, more mysterious and supernatural approach for many of the stories later, and I really liked how different it seemed to the more calm, slice of life show episodes. The finale had me in tears, and it wasn't because I was laughing, despite having plenty of funny moments. The last episode didn't feel forced, more like a retrospective of everyone's lives and Hotori's effect on them, and the transitions with the binoculars were really fitting. I think the whole thing may seem a bit weird to some people, but I think it was perfect.

I think I said something similar on my first post, but it's really rare for a show being a very good comedy but also excelling in everything it tries too. As far as I'm concerned, I can only think of Gintama, but it has 300+ episodes backing it up. Soremachi does this in just 12 episodes, which were enough to understand and feel close to the cast. It's one of the shows that have a very simple premise, and yet they're much more than that. All in all, fantastic show, not simply a very funny comedy, as it has a lot more food for thought than I imagined. Also, props to the voice actors in this, as they did an amazing job, especially Hotori's voice actress.

Also, posting the ED in case people want to check it out, I love it. Easily one of my favourites.

I think I might actually check Arakawa under the Bridge for more Shaft+comedy, but for now I'll go for Samurai Flamenco.

I think I said something similar on my first post, but it's really rare for a show being a very good comedy but also excelling in everything it tries too. As far as I'm concerned, I can only think of Gintama, but it has 300+ episodes backing it up. Soremachi does this in just 12 episodes, which were enough to understand and feel close to the cast. It's one of the shows that have a very simple premise, and yet they're much more than that. All in all, fantastic show, not simply a very funny comedy, as it has a lot more food for thought than I imagined. Also, props to the voice actors in this, as they did an amazing job, especially Hotori's voice actress.

You might give KareKano a try. That's one of my favorites in terms of juggling comedy and serious scenes. It's also among the best anime romances I dare say. That said, production struggles towards the end and the show ends pretty much in the middle of nowhere. Still a must watch from my perspective.

Qurupeke

You might give KareKano a try. That's one of my favorites in terms of juggling comedy and serious scenes. It's also among the best anime romances I dare say. That said, production struggles towards the end and the show ends pretty much in the middle of nowhere. Still a must watch from my perspective.

I presume Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou? I'll check it out, thanks for the recommendation.

I presume Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou? I'll check it out, thanks for the recommendation.

Yup, that one.

Am currently reading through the manga which is rather long. It's great, too. I think Anno and co. captured the feel of the manga very nicely actually so it's strange to hear that the manga author felt as though they laid the comedy too thickly and supposedly she stopped the collaboration because of it.

Sterok

Kiznaiver 1

Most people will watch for Trigger's visuals. I'm watching for based Okada's melodrama. Always a good time. Sharing pain is interesting, and I mostly like the characters, but the editing felt off and the whole thing not quite as coherent as it probably wanted to be. Curious to see what they're actually going to do by sharing pain.

Neither of those services, however, are ones you buy only if you're an anime fan. I pay my Amazon sub for the fast postage (I order a LOT of stuff off Amazon!) so the video is an added bonus, and my Netflix sub for pretty much anything EXCEPT anime.

Eh, the Amazon deal is the worst for me since they don't operate at all in this country. Even Hulu would be better :p

Only real options here that are easily accessible are CR, Viewster and Netflix AFAIK. Edit: Oh, and Daisuki.

Tanaka-san is Listless 1

Someone said before the show's main gimmick snatches all the energy out of this and I thoroughly agree - sometimes. I feel like the adaption is pretty decent and looks nice, the direction is nice and languid, but I feel like it works better when there's energy to contrast it against.

However I did burst out laughing a few times, mainly because Ohta, despite being the straight man of this comedy duo, brings enough energy that a few of the jokes do good.

Also, it's really been a while since I watched a bro anime.

LOL he fucking live transposed the piece into minor

I hope Tanaka-kun doesn't become more energetic. That was the main problem I had with Non Non Biyori when I recently watched it. The episodes Shinya Kawamo storyboarded himself had a really good understanding of deliberate pacing and atmosphere building, while the episodes handled by other people struggled to achieve the same effect and more easily slipped back into standard anime comedy with people yelling at each other. I hope the same thing doesn't happen here - it probably will to some extent, no show is completely consistent, but the first episode had such a delicate and captivating atmosphere that I don't want lost. The episode 2 preview already has me a bit worried. At least some of the more annoying otaku elements that showed up in Non Non Biyori are less likely to show up here.

Soremachi 7-12 [END]

The second half proved to be very different to the rest of the series, and it wasn't just because Moriaki sensei didn't appear often. They took a different, more mysterious and supernatural approach for many of the stories later, and I really liked how different it seemed to the more calm, slice of life show episodes. The finale had me in tears, and it wasn't because I was laughing, despite having plenty of funny moments. The last episode didn't feel forced, more like a retrospective of everyone's lives and Hotori's effect on them, and the transitions with the binoculars were really fitting. I think the whole thing may seem a bit weird to some people, but I think it was perfect.

Also, posting the ED in case people want to check it out, I love it. Easily one of my favourites.

I think I might actually check Arakawa under the Bridge for more Shaft+comedy, but for now I'll go for Samurai Flamenco.

The last episode really got to me as well. It was a brilliant move to choose that manga story, expand upon it, and have it serve as the summation of the series. Having spent so much time with this bunch, the pain of Hotori being separated from them struck all the harder. This is easily the best Shaft show for having both strong source material and consistently strong direction that near-perfectly executed on its material. Also Omigawa's best voice role; she fit Hotori like a glove.

If you're interested, I'd encourage you to check out the manga. It has many more stories of the same sort of quality.

-Minsc-

Ace Attorney - 2

Definite improvement over the first episode. The "investigation phase" got the job done. Gumshoe is indeed really Gumshoe. My favourite part of the episode was the butting of heads on the glass. That made me legit chuckle. If I were to nitpick I'd say Pheonix's discovery of Mia could have had more somber music all throughout. The perfect start to the next episode would be Judge or Edgeworth commenting on Phoenix's unnecessary OBJECTION! at the end of the episode. A moment like that would be a great nod to the humour and charm of the original games.

I am genuinely curious to what newcomers think of this series who are not primed with the "It's loyal to a fault, just go play the games." narrative.

Jintor

I hope Tanaka-kun doesn't become more energetic. That was the main problem I had with Non Non Biyori when I recently watched it. The episodes Shinya Kawamo storyboarded himself had a really good understanding of deliberate pacing and atmosphere building, while the episodes handled by other people struggled to achieve the same effect and more easily slipped back into standard anime comedy with people yelling at each other. I hope the same thing doesn't happen here - it probably will to some extent, no show is completely consistent, but the first episode had such a delicate and captivating atmosphere that I don't want lost. The episode 2 preview already has me a bit worried. At least some of the more annoying otaku elements that showed up in Non Non Biyori are less likely to show up here.

It's going to depend on how the other characters shape up. Tanaka really sucked the energy out of the first ten minutes or so when they were establishing the premise, but it got better the more characters he has to bounce off. Ohta putting in work.

Sterok

Haifuri 1

So this is going to be Girls und Panzer, but with ships right? Except more schooling, less tournaments. Well it may be worth checking out. Live ammunition is an odd way to conduct a training exercise, but maybe the teacher is just really hardcore-wait, are they serious? Okay, putting them on the run is not what I expected. Has my interest more than I expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom