• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moaradin

I didn't like the last few episodes of GTO. It got weirdly dramatic in a way that the show wasn't before, and it felt super rushed. I loved the show overall though and it sucks they never did more of it.

Qurupeke

Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou 1

It didn't really do much for me, but it didn't dislike it either. It was just okay. I like the really messy and simplistic artstyle but the music is atrocious. I guess this is what usually plays in a club, so they're on point... The premise is interesting, so I'm curious to see how they'll mix the two jobs.

If you're interested, I'd encourage you to check out the manga. It has many more stories of the same sort of quality.

I already started it, but damn, it's quite long. So much source material and still no S2, Shaft disappointed me.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I didn't like the last few episodes of GTO. It got weirdly dramatic in a way that the show wasn't before, and it felt super rushed. I loved the show overall though and it sucks they never did more of it.

Its not a good ending. The manga ending is about a million times better and one of the best endings to anything I can think of despite it being hammy and cliche.

phaze

I liked the resolution to Miyabi's arc itself. Her talk no jutsu just seemed more feasible and believable than quite a few previous ones. Hated the last few minutes
with him abandoning his students and going to US.

I thought I wouldnt be anymore dissapointed in an OP or ED than Kiznaiver's OP but Re:Zero's ED was :( :( :( I can only hope that there will actually be an ED animation beyond snowflakes someday.

But Kiznaiver's OP is easily one of better ones this season.

------

This season has way too many not immediately shit shows, as of now I'm watching:
Bungou Stray Dogs
Jojo
Boku no Hero Academia
Kiznaiver
Joker Game
Kabaneri
Luloco
+Ace Attorney, Sakamoto, Tanaka which I'm in all likelihood going to drop, at least the first two but still. Most of them need to go bad quickly so I can trim down to ~4 shows with clear conscience.

T-Rex.

Banned
Re:Zero 2

Show continues to be quite interesting. At least the MC isn't a big an idiot as he seemed in the initial 2 parter since he figured things out pretty quickly regarding the time loop. His encounter with Elsa was also really good and the anime did a solid job of conveying his terror. Have to say, even though she's murdered them twice, I really like Elsa lol. She kinda reminds me of Arachne.

Yup I pointed it out too. The Trance track is awesome. Sounds like something Above and Beyond or W&W would make. Good mix of vocals with an uplifting and hype drop. See trance can go wrong in so many ways after the drop. But they own that intro and give it an even better melody after it.

Wanderer5

I liked the resolution to Miyabi's arc itself. Her talk no jutsu just seemed more feasible and believable than quite a few previous ones. Hated the last few minutes
with him abandoning his students and going to US.

Took me a couple re-watches, but I really dig it a lot now too heh. I guess I was expecting so much of something similar to Xam'd: Lost Memories opening, that this trance like song took me by surprise.XD That honestly good through.

John Blade

Just finish the Great Teacher Onizuka and yea....that ending....WTF. Hell...if it end where the summer break finish off in Episode 41, I will say it end fine as it kinda go full circle with those two characters. But this ending......why end that way....

pbayne

DJ Tonkatsu 1

Hey there's a club called Box here in Belfast. Its kinda shit like the club in the show.
Manic first episode but did its job setting up the premise as baffling as it is.

Haifuri 01 - sailor fuku standard issue
aQqFqrm.png

Welcome back to the world of shipgirls.

HOLY CRAP IT'S HANAYO

woah, what a twist. Is this going to be a shipgirl show with plot? So definitely more Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio than KanColle. I'm down for that. The OP isn't quite as hype as KanColle's and Arpeggio's though. Maybe I just need to hear it a few more times.

Boku no Hero Academia Episode 2:

I'll be honest, I wasn't expecting the price to pay for being a hero trope to be played this soon but it was clear that it was a card that needed to be played. Indeed the situation that All Might finds himself in is the first interesting thing this series has pulled thus far. Yea, still not going to lie here, I do not get the hype. Not a bad show by any means but has absolutely done nothing so far to raise its profile above other airing shonen like Ushio and Tora or Assassination Classroom and perhaps that is a tad unfair given only two episodes have passed but such is the weight of expectations.

As someone that's experienced a lot of shounen/battle series, the best way I'd describe Hero Academia is "unremarkable". It's consistent and is actually good at putting its side characters in the spotlight, but there's nothing that elevates it to the height of the genre, or even close to the height. It's a solid 7.5 or 8/10, but it's a standard shounen through and through.

So yeah, the praise is weird to me as well, though I can partially understand it as WSJ series that manage to survive past its first year will usually get some level of exposure. Assassination Classroom was the same way.

Russ T

Banned
My Hero Academia is easily the best currently running shounen manga (although One Piece has finally picked back up recently, so that may take the number one spot again, soon).

But it doesn't really pick up until later on. Anime probably won't make it that far, even.

That said, it does have one major flaw, and that's Deku's weird infatuation with the shitbag who bullies him to hell and back.

pbayne

That said, it does have one major flaw, and that's Deku's weird infatuation with the shitbag who bullies him to hell and back.

Gotta get the fujoshi interested some way. Nothing works better than a love/hate relationship between two main guys.

My Hero Academia is easily the best currently running shounen manga.

Maybe in Jump, which isn't saying much at the moment.

This is what sours me on the current arc and the entire series. Posted about it in the general manga thread and MHA manga thread.

phaze

/thumbs up. It's like you are going on watching my favorite list of anime for the last months!

Well ... that's because ... I'm lol. I think I told you this already at some point but I'm indeed often combing through your super old rec list. Picking up what I was ignorant of or ignored for various reasons up till now. Mouryou no Hako, Fantastic Children, Code Geass and earlier on Haibane and Mawaru and I'm pretty sure lots of shows even more in the past then that, I went for them because of your list. It has served exceedingly me well, so again ,major props and thanks ! :)

My Hero Academia is easily the best currently running shounen manga (although One Piece has finally picked back up recently, so that may take the number one spot again, soon).

But it doesn't really pick up until later on. Anime probably won't make it that far, even.

So it really is Naruto.

I like the song but the visuals feel unfitting and tell us nothing about the anime.

The bolded I can see to a degree, it's a long parade of the main cast characters without them doing anything of note but I think the neat song, super slick and pretty unique visuals make up for it.

Moaradin

I don't have a problem with the Deku/Bakugo relationship. Deku isn't the type of character that would give up on him. It works for me.

I dont know if many people would agree with that statement. his writing in HeroAca has occasional issues with predictability and a very blatant failure to showcase other characters and he also repetitively uses the same plot setups in subsequent arcs. If this writing is currently deemed the best in boys action manga, then I have to doubt that there is any quality writing left in the market.

Boku no Hero Academia 02 - Tsuyoku naritai!

Hero will never give up,
never hide, never be defeated,
never accept evil.

Seriously, though, this guy gets emotional way too much. And not in the way I'm used to in shounen stuff. Honestly, I don't feel like this guy has quite earned his tears yet, at least as a viewer. I don't know. So far only All Might is all right so far. How much is this guy going to cry? Ech.

this is like, exactly what One Punch Man was satirizing, but played completely straight. I wonder what it would have been like if this came out (in anime form) before OPM?

Russ T

Banned
lmao

"it's the best manga period"

[people disagree]

"it's still real to me dammit!"

Are you referring to me? U:

That's an incredibly disingenuous and awkward interpretation of the things I said! Apologize.

Besides, the best manga period is Soremachi, and if you disagree, you're subhuman and thus are incapable of having worthwhile opinions.

Best manga for me will always be Berserk or Vagabond.

Berserk I have this ending in my head where they get on the boat, and it's the same boat as the ending of Lord of the Rings.

Frodo and Gandalf get on the boat with Guts and the gang. Then "The End" appears. 10/10 make doggie cry

SalvaPot

I don't think Hero Academia is the "best" shonen out there right now (I think Hunter x Hunter still gets to keep that title), but its the youngest one with quality action, characters and journey and a huge room for expanding on its ideas. It has a great start and it just gets better and better, I'll compare its first part with early Naruto and its later part with mid-One Piece.

Its just enjoyable. Its refreshing in its optimism and straightforwardness without feeling cliched or manipulative, it really captures the feeling of watching Dragon Ball or Pokemon every afternoon after school back in my elementary years.

Russ T

Banned
I don't think Hero Academia is the "best" shonen out there right now (I think Hunter x Hunter still gets to keep that title), but its the youngest one with quality action, characters and journey, it has a great start and it just gets better and better, I'll compare its first part with early Naruto and its later part with mid-One Piece.

Its just enjoyable. Its refreshing in its optimism and straightforwardness without feeling cliched or manipulative, it really captures the feeling of watching Dragon Ball or Pokemon every afternoon after school back in my elementary years.

HxH is my favorite shounen. I actually forgot it had restarted recently. We'll see how long that lasts. D:

One Piece is my second favorite.

But right at this moment, MHA is the most exciting shounen I'm reading on a week to week basis. Although, like I said earlier, One Piece is reallllllly picking back up lately.

But yeah, there's a certain earnest quality to MHA that makes it refreshing. It's like One Piece was to me for a long, long time, before it started getting a bit too up its own ass in Lore. (I love lore, make no mistake, I'm a goddamn lore nerd, but One Piece of today is a vastly different beast from One Piece of yesteryear.) It's just a joy to read week by week. Comparing it to Dragon Ball Z every afternoon is pretty solid. It encapsulates that same anticipation and excitement I remember as a kid.

SalvaPot

HxH is my favorite shounen. I actually forgot it had restarted recently. We'll see how long that lasts. D:

One Piece is my second favorite.

But right at this moment, MHA is the most exciting shounen I'm reading on a week to week basis. Although, like I said earlier, One Piece is reallllllly picking back up lately.

Last few weeks of One Piece have been insanely good.

Togashi confirmed his problem was definitely his back because of bad posture and that he got fat, but that he is exercising and eating healthy now. Let's see what that means for HxH. If we just get one chapter to finish the volume I am going to burn my manga collection.

phaze

Best manga for me will always be Berserk or Vagabond.

Berserk I have this ending in my head where they get on the boat, and it's the same boat as the ending of Lord of the Rings.

Frodo and Gandalf get on the boat with Guts and the gang. Then "The End" appears. 10/10 make doggie cry

So they get eternal lives + major shagging deal with hot elves ? Somehow I doubt it'll go that well.

Russ T

Banned
Last few weeks of One Piece have been insanely good.

Togashi confirmed his problem was definitely his back because of bad posture and that he got fat, but that he is exercising and eating healthy now. Let's see what that means for HxH. If we just get one chapter to finish the volume I am going to burn my manga collection.

Yeah man, One Piece is goddamn hype. <3

Also that's good to hear! Glad he's more health-conscious. Hopefully that means the art improves, too. >_>

(I should follow his example and become similarly health-conscious!)

I can't believe that.

The Naruto Sasuke friendship/rivalry/whatever the fuck it is, is pure idiocy predicated on nonsense.

Heh. Like I said above, I stopped reading shortly after the time skip, so I undoubtedly spoke out of place.

But Bakugou literally tells Deku to kill himself or threatens to kill him on a daily basis, and becomes insanely pissed off every time Deku accomplishes anything.

And yet everyone in the classroom loves him. "Oh, that scamp, always being such a jerk. So adorable!" It's... it's something special.

SalvaPot

Is shounen manga in such a dire state? I hope not.

I read your impressions about the anime in the thread but I forgot to answer, you should consider giving a read to the manga, the faster pace may be more enjoyable yo you. If you don't like it is fine too, but the work makes is easy to make assumptions about how the story will progress and then completely go a different direction.

Exalted

Well, to be fair, I gave up on Naruto shortly after the timeskip. But Deku/Bakugou starts out strong. It's pretty fucked up.

I only watched slightly more than that, before i gave up. But damn, hearing that about Deku/Bakugou makes me actually kinda bummed up about watching more MHA.

SalvaPot

I only watched slightly more than that, before i gave up. But damn, hearing that about Deku/Bakugou makes me actually kinda bummed up about watching more MHA.

They are nothing alike. This is the comparison I keep hearing about and it pisses me off. Bakugo is more like Vegeta, if anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom