• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fireblend

Banned
Watched Flying Witch and Kiznaiver.

Flying Witch was top notch. Loved the humor, the characters and the general premise. Will absolutely stick to this one.

Kiznaiver I'll give a couple more episodes to see where it's going.

Instro

Catching up on some first episodes.

Hero Academia- Pretty solid start, hard to tell which way this is going, but visually it's on point. Love that Bones got this show.

Jojo- No complaints at the start, hopefully the pacing in this one is better than Stardust.

Kiznaiver- A lot of nonsensical babbling. Another show with nice visuals, hopefully it doesn't disappoint.

Ushio to Tora- Picked up nicely where it left off. It's not my favorite action show in the world, but it was enjoyable week to week. Curious to see what they do with the visuals this season, given the time off and with only 13 episodes.

Haven't started on anything else yet, but if nothing else this season will be a visual treat.

Deadly

My Hero Academia 2
Wow what an amazing start these first two episodes have been. I'm extremely tempted to just catch up on the manga now.

Instro

Is Yuuki Hayashi the new hotness in anime music btw? He seems to be on a bunch of shows lately including My Hero Academia and Kiznaiver this season. I really liked his work on Death Parade, and Academia already has some really nice themes just from the first episode. Good composer I think.

Flying Witch - 01

Quite good first impressions.

Kiznaiver - 01

It's gonna turn out to be terrible but the first episode was better than expected. Visuals were neat. But yeh, Okada can only be bad in the long run.

Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge - 01

Meh. I'll watch one more episode and if its still just non-stop dialogue directly talking about Tanaka's listlessness I'm out.

Sakamoto desu ga - 01

Those volleyball transitions...and they even start out with one, the fuck? 24min format seems entirely unsuited and the comedy was mostly really weak. Dropped.

Is Yuuki Hayashi the new hotness in anime music btw? He seems to be on a bunch of shows lately including My Hero Academia and Kiznaiver this season. I really liked his work on Death Parade, and Academia already has some really nice themes just from the first episode. Good composer I think.

He is getting a good deal of work these days. He's not my favorite composer - even just this season there are several soundtracks I like more - but he does solid enough work. Gundam Build Fighters is still his best work.

Narag

My Hero Academia 2
cFqNpYLl.png

Much better than the first episode as the spastic comedy was nil and it started thematic exploration of what it means to be a true hero.

Cornbread78

My Hero Academia ep.2
Damn, that was friggen good. Like really good stuff. I mean yeah, a little over-the-top with the cheese, but it was still damn good in the story presentation and hero depiction. Feels good man.

JulianImp

Just bought the Senjougahara nendo off of Amazon after my friend didn't get to pick it up in Japan.

Now I feel the compulsion to get them all over time, but some of them are expensive as hell. Help.

Maybe I could reach a compromise by buying more of them once the Kaiki nendo hits, which would save me money
since it's never going to get released anyway.

Wanderer5

Just bought the Senjougahara nendo off of Amazon after my friend didn't get to pick it up in Japan.

Now I feel the compulsion to get them all over time, but some of them are expensive as hell. Help.

Maybe I could reach a compromise by buying more of them once the Kaiki nendo hits, which would save me money
since it's never going to get released anyway.

Join us, join us, join us.

:p

They really tempting aren't they, and yeah some of the aftermarket prices suck. I pretty much dropped quite a few nendos that I had interests in, cause I don't want to go too far with that line lol. It would be nice to see some Luluco and Kiznaiver nendos through.

pbayne

Rainbow Days 13

Well if Hasiba didn't confess there i guess he's never gonna do it.
Anna confirmed to be shooting for the yuri route as well.

Master of Martial Hearts

I don't think I'll ever forget this series. You know you've found something truly special as you watch it. Your eyes find themselves inexplicably locked to the screen as your mind fumbles with itself, desperately searching for an explanation of this God-given miracle laid before it. In this world, there are many wonders; Master of Martial Hearts is one of the few created in our time. A forgotten gem. A delicate flower. I might even dare say it is a masterpiece, completely in a league of its own.

Cornbread78

Kiznaiver ep.1
Ok, what the hell did I just watch? That was some trippy shit right there starting with the OP. The show has such a weird tone and ambiance to follow along with. This us gonna get interesting, isn't it? Okada please...

Kyuur

Season first impressions, part 1!

12-sai: Might be cute, not my cup of tea.
Aikatsu Stars: Generic idol anime.
Anne Happy: Generic gag anime.
Bakuon: Pretty good, product placement everywhere. Bike-senpai was amazing, the two girls bickering about brands was too real. They fucked up with the jumpsuit girl breast physics though.
Beyblade Burst: It's Beyblade!
Hero Academia: Having read the manga, the first few bits are really slow. Nice seeing All Might animated though, and some awesome clips with kid Deku and Bakugou.
Bungou Stray Dogs: Really pretty animation and good designs, pretty generic character introduction episode. Hopefully the plot is good.
Endride: Generic modern boy meets fantasy anime.
Flying Witch: AOTS candidate -- solid visuals, charming cast and great premise. Mandrake gag was ace.
Phoenix Wright: Seems like almost no effort went into the 'adaptation' part of this. I think I'd rather just play the games.
High School Fleet: Absurd premise with generic characters.
Hundred: 2Special4U protagonist, check. Boy character that looks like a girl for comedic value, check. Harem in opening, check. Duel the top dog in episode one, assuredly going to win or draw, check.
Joker Game: Another great one; premise is intriguing. Hinges on what kind of stories they're going to tell using it.

phaze

Someone should watch Glass Fleet again. It's been too long. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-vpA8ltGK0
If this is what it takes to finally make you finish Shigurui ...

Soremachi 7-12 [END]

The second half proved to be very different to the rest of the series, and it wasn't just because Moriaki sensei didn't appear often. They took a different, more mysterious and supernatural approach for many of the stories later, and I really liked how different it seemed to the more calm, slice of life show episodes. The finale had me in tears, and it wasn't because I was laughing, despite having plenty of funny moments. The last episode didn't feel forced, more like a retrospective of everyone's lives and Hotori's effect on them, and the transitions with the binoculars were really fitting. I think the whole thing may seem a bit weird to some people, but I think it was perfect.

And Yet The Town Moves
On

I love how the title took on such
morbid connotations
during that last episode.

My Hero Academia 02

Adapting one 52 pages long chapter into 2 episodes worked surprisingly well. (Though I feel it would be even better if they ended the first with All Might's reveal) The big moments are given proper weight and time to breathe and the amazing soundtrack sends them into the stratosphere. Seriously, I love the OST.

Tanaka-kun is always listless 01

Ehhhh, I really wanted to like this show but none of the comedy worked for me. Tanaka is always listless indeed and his friend, while refreshingly "normal", just doesn't bring in enough energy to cover for the two of them. I wouldn't have survived Non Non Biyori if I it wasn't for various comedic antics of Komari&co so this is worrying in extreme. I'll at least wait to see what Chitanda v2 brings to the table.

Fireblend

Banned
Loved Hero Academia's 2nd episode. I'm an absolute sucker for the cheesy emotional scenes, won't even pretend I wasn't moved by them. Completely sold on this show and super glad I'm finally on board a Bones show again :p

Wanderer5

Flying Witch #1

Because why not heh. I appreciate the more relaxing tone through, and the premise is pretty interesting and grounded it seems for a concept with witches. That Mandrake scene was pretty funny too. Not sure if I would follow its airing yet, but I will have it in mind.

And now I done heh. 1st Ep wise:

Kabaneri
Flying Witch
Kiznaiver
Joker Game

Bungou Stray Dogs
Mayoiga
Ace Attorney
Hundred

HA2
I was wondering if they were actually gonna show it.
All might coughing up blood in a comedic way
Such a good episode, dragged for like 3 minutes at the beginning but then bam time went by fast.

Narag

Bungo Stray Dogs 1

Thank you, Igarashi & Enokido.

In a perfect world though, Dan Brown wouldn't be a future character but codename for some super robot that uses his book titles as called attacks and shit. Stopping blows with DIGITAL FORTRESS, burning fools down with INFERNO, having a bigass sword called THE LOST SYMBOL, and I dunno, ripoff GGG's Hell & Heaven with ANGELS & DEMONS.

Pan de Peace! - 02

Watching this and Sansha Sanyou back to back feels like the bread maniac Futaba should be in this show instead.
I like how they refer the episode count to bread slices. In this educational episode, I learned that baguettes are both food and weapon.

Kuma Miko 2

It's an enjoyable show but I guess the raunchy shit of the first episode was a one-off thing . This episode we had what I expect the majority of the show to be, which was a trial given to her by Thoraxes to see if she can truly move to the city.

I'll probably keep watching as it's inoffensive and entertaining enough to keep watching, but I doubt it'll be anywhere on my AOTS or AOTY list.

JulianImp

Join us, join us, join us.

:p

They really tempting aren't they, and yeah some of the aftermarket prices suck. I pretty much dropped quite a few nendos that I had interests in, cause I don't want to go too far with that line lol. It would be nice to see some Luluco and Kiznaiver nendos through.

I really wanted Hachikuji, but she's ¥8K in Amazon JP and $100 in the US. At least Gahara started out expensive already, so $66 for it didn't seem too unfair of a price for it given how old it was. The rest of the characters actually don't interest me all that much, but I might be interested in an Ononoki nendo if she ever ends up getting one.

There's also the big issue that shipping stuff to Argentina's both expensive and complicated, as things tend to get stuck/lost in customs. I actually had the nendo sent alongside the English translation of the Kizu novel to my dad in the US, since he plans on coming to visit somewhat soon.

Also, while I was browsing Amazon US I happened to come across a seller called "God Smile", complete with an edited version of Good Smile's logo that dropped one of the Os. They did have lower prices on most nendos, but the whole set-up was all kinds of seedy so I went with a Fulfilled by Amazon seller to be on the safe side.

My Hero Academia 2
This was vastly more interesting than the first episode. I wish it weren't going to become a shounen school thing.

Bungo Stray Dogs 1

Thank you, Igarashi & Enokido.

In a perfect world though, Dan Brown wouldn't be a future character but codename for some super robot that uses his book titles as called attacks and shit. Stopping blows with DIGITAL FORTRESS, burning fools down with INFERNO, having a bigass sword called THE LOST SYMBOL, and I dunno, ripoff GGG's Hell & Heaven with ANGELS & DEMONS.

Oh shit, I forgot that this was the series with Dan Brown.

Wanderer5

I really wanted Hachikuji, but she's ¥8K in Amazon JP and $100 in the US. At least Gahara started out expensive already, so $66 for it didn't seem too unfair of a price for it given how old it was. The rest of the characters actually don't interest me all that much, but I might be interested in an Ononoki nendo if she ever ends up getting one.

There's also the big issue that shipping stuff to Argentina's both expensive and complicated, as things tend to get stuck/lost in customs. I actually had the nendo sent alongside the English translation of the Kizu novel to my dad in the US, since he plans on coming to visit somewhat soon.

Also, while I was browsing Amazon US I happened to come across a seller called "God Smile", complete with an edited version of Good Smile's logo that dropped one of the Os. They did have lower prices on most nendos, but the whole set-up was all kinds of seedy so I went with a Fulfilled by Amazon seller to be on the safe side.

Yeeeeah that god smile sounds pretty shady lol. If it says china especially, that another red flag too.

Also Nendo Umaru Chan for $41 on amazon, ugh tempting, as it just looks so perfect lol, but anyway.XD

Cornbread78

Pan de Peace! - 02

Watching this and Sansha Sanyou back to back feels like the bread maniac Futaba should be in this show instead.
I like how they refer the episode count to bread slices. In this educational episode, I learned that baguettes are both food and weapon.

She's got a long way to go and a lot of growing to do before she gets on Breadmilf's level

Exalted

Kuma Miko 2

Was a more relaxed episode than the first. It looks like the show will be about her proving she can live in the big city. The comedy has slowed down a bit, but the show is still entertaining enough, that i will continue watching.

Re:Zero 0-2

You know once it gost past the 'normal guy in fantasy world' shit at the intro, the show actually got pretty interesting. Following some very basics time travel tropes is pretty good

Kiznaiver 1

This was actually fine. Maybe the best debut I've seen so far this season, with Tanaka-kun and maybe flying witch still to go. But, you know, it's going to get Okada'd at some point so who cares.

Space Patrol Luluco 1-2

I can't tell if the occasionally flat layouts in this are intentional. It's not something I'd expect of Imaishi, but maybe they're for humour? The compression of space and spread of the characters along the same plane in the frame looks goofy and awkward, but combined with the animation it also looks kinda cheap. All Trigger productions should come with a % saturation of irony up top. Except Kiznaiver.

Seems like it's only just gotten going story wise so I'm still in despite the show not really clicking for me so far.

JulianImp

Yeeeeah that god smile sounds pretty shady lol. If it says china especially, that another red flag too.

Also Nendo Umaru Chan for $41 on amazon, ugh tempting, as it just looks so perfect lol, but anyway.XD

It also looks like most sellers don't even ship to Argentina anyway, so I guess there wasn't much of a choice for me. I'm considering using my dad as a proxy to make international purchases easier, but I'd only be willing to try that once I'm absolutely sure that the stuff I ship isn't going to get swallowed up by local customs.

Qurupeke

Samurai Flamenco 1-4

Alright, not much to write about atm. I don't like Power Rangers, Super Sentai and other similar stuff, so I'm not relating at all with Hazama's fascination, but it's still cool to see his passion for this hobby. So far, it's an interesting take on the whole vigilante thing, but considering there are are 22 episodes and he already beat a fake and got a team up, I'm interested in seeing where things will go now, as I'm sure people like it for more than that. I enjoy the down to earth style of this though. Also, it's fun seeing Sugita (it's the 3rd show I watched the last couple of days with him...), on the role of the serious person.

Episode 4 brought some interesting developments to the series.

The idol girl surely adds something the show was lacking, for better or worse. Curious to what she will mean for the series, as she's pretty violent so far, so I expect more conflict with Hazama. But then she fell for Goto on suit, so I'm not sure...

On a sidenote, she reminds me a lot of Asuka from NGE, appearance wise at least.

Samurai Flamenco 1-4

Alright, not much to write about atm. I don't like Power Rangers, Super Sentai and other similar stuff, so I'm not relating at all with Hazama's fascination, but it's still cool to see his passion for this hobby. So far, it's an interesting take on the whole vigilante thing, but considering there are are 22 episodes and he already beat a fake and got a team up, I'm interested in seeing where things will go now, as I'm sure people like it for more than that. I enjoy the down to earth style of this though. Also, it's fun seeing Sugita (it's the 3rd show I watched the last couple of days with him...), on the role of the serious person.

Episode 4 brought some interesting developments to the series.

The idol girl surely adds something the show was lacking, for better or worse. Curious to what she will mean for the series, as she's pretty violent so far, so I expect more conflict with Hazama. But then she fell for Goto on suit, so I'm not sure...

On a sidenote, she reminds me a lot of Asuka from NGE, appearance wise at least.

COME ON AND SAM

AND WELCOME TO THE FLAM.

phaze

Kiznaiiiiiiiiiiver 01
It's still hard to gauge exactly what kind of show this is and where it will go from here but despite it being thoroughly set up episode with all the exposition being mostly what you could have surmised from ep 0, pvs and plot blurbs, I enjoyed it. The potential for it go very dumb very quickly is certainly there but ehh in Okada I trust. None of the cast came off as obnoxious to me, in the admittedly short time we've spend time with them and I love most of the character designs. Trigger usually has a knack for them but I think they've knocked it out of the park with this one. We'll see if the production holds up (it won't) but this premiere looked very neat.

Anybody maybe have a link to that Kill la Kill episode 5 write up from long long ago ? I think it was either from Jarmel or Jexhius.

ReZero Episode 2

This show actually feels really well-done, for the most part. The characters' back stories are all things I'm interested in (and by extension, the world itself), mostly due to the quality of the writing and acting which both feel very natural. Felt, Emilia, that Princess from Frozen - all of them are related in some vaguely tangible way that keeps me interested despite the absurd amount of time it took Subaru (MC) - who isn't completely hopeless as we get to see throughout the numerous flashbacks - to figure out the situation.

If anything, the only thing I can't abide in this show is the abysmally slow pace that it has settled on.

Exalted

Re:Zero episode 2

Thankfully the MP finally figured it out , as to what was happening to him in the first 5 min of the episode, since i don't think i could handle him being so stupid any more. This show is definitely far more interesting story wise than most of the fantasy shows i watched in a while. I'm actually intrigued to see where the story will go.

Hai to Gensou no Grimgar 1-12

This anime kept getting more interesting with each episode, especially after 4. The pacing is slow but the time is passed via montages -- which seem to happen often. Lots of good world building and there is a true sense of danger for these characters. I want to know more about what happens to these characters from here on out -- find out the mystery as to how they got there. Please let there be a second season!

Overall: starts slow but after ep 4 your interest will pick up immensely. Love the art style. Recommended for fans of SAO, Log Horizon if you didn't like those for the romance and comedy.

Aki-at

Kuma Miko - 2

I'm not too sure on it yet, I want to like this show since bears are awesome but I think the chilled back nature of the show is a deterrent for me. Most of the reaction faces this time round didn't have me laughing as they did in the last episode but overall I still enjoyed it, seems like it'll be a sweet show with some comedy but depending on how well that comes off, I might drop it or not.

My Hero Academia - 2

I'm still not feeling it, the animation is great but the characters are doing nothing for me yet with the exception of All Might, saying that I just couldn't find myself feeling anything for either the main hero of All Might, the emotional scenes have no weight for me so most of the episode fell flat. I'll give it one more episode before dropping it or not.

One Punch Man Special - 4

So Silver Fang
is just a creepy old dude after all haha!
Probably the special I enjoyed the most so far, though it was just about decent.

Ascheroth

My Hero Academia - 02

Another great episode. Bones is knocking it out of the park with this. Midoriyas struggle with accepting his 'reality', but ultimately still choosing to fight it, and then at the end he gets to hear the words he always wanted to hear, spoken by his biggest idol were soooo goood. So damn emotional.
I'm so happy for Horikoshi. After getting cancelled 2 times, he's finally found success with his 3rd try.

Re:Zero - 02

This, too, was damn great. Subaru finally figured things out at the beginning, and after that it got instantly a lot more interesting - he's actually not stupid.
Loved how terrified he is at certain points, felt pretty intense.
Don't want to say all that much since I know things up to somewhere in the next arc, but I'm really looking forward to the things to come.
Really like the Opening and Ending as well.

John Blade

I got to say, the ending of Great Teacher Onizuka (or how it try to end) is very weird and kinda unexpected. Didn't expect to see that situation to be use as a way to end this great show.

phaze

I got to say, the ending of Great Teacher Onizuka (or how it try to end) is very weird and kinda unexpected. Didn't expect to see that situation to be use as a way to end this great show.

It's an anime original IIRC. Hated the last few minutes.

Cheers !

Tsuritama 01-03

So far, an exceedingly charming and effortlessly engaging show about invasion of aliens, secret organisation with callsign "duck" trying to defend against them, erosion of family bonds and one man's crippling social issues. Also fishing. Quite a lot of fishing. Which by the way, who knew that it could be so interesting. Yuki's desperate attempts to improve and properly deliver his lure into the bucket had more heart in it than 80% of shounens. I was pretty surprised to see Yuki being this Shinji'esque character but so far, I think the show handles this plotline amazingly well. I find the depiction of his insecurities often more subtle and realistic than with most of characters of this ilk, even despite the fact that it's frequently used for (well executed) comedic content. The opening is supremely dope with super catchy song and neat integration of credits into it. All in all, Kenji Nakamura still da gawd.

Clov

Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou 01

Fun first episode! Some really creative moments too (the way working at the tonkatsu shop was shown in the beginning, the DJ becoming the protagonist's father to compare them, etc). The animation is very limited, but it was really enjoyable despite that. Looking forward to the next episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom