• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

SalvaPot

The whole point is to set up Gaara as the final boss of the arc.

- He killed those goobers he ran into.
- He cleared the test in record time.
- His brother and sister are handlers for his madness
- Lee destroyed the Sauce
- Gaara destroys Lee who pulls out tricks that would have obliterated everyone else in the contest.

Plus it sets up Lee's redemption angle and another reason to track down Tsunade.

Yeah it totally makes sense, but damn do I love to root for the underdog. Honestly sometimes I felt I'll rather have Rock Lee as the protagonist instead of Naruto, but it made for a great story at the time.

John Blade

Watching Royal Space Force The Wings of Honneamine right now with no expectation. Going to be interesting to see my impression about this movie.

Theonik

Do people really only want one service to carry all anime? I think that could be bad for cost to user control.
I'd rather all services run more or less the same shows and you didn't have situations where exclusivity is given to one platform at the expense of forcing you to put up with their appalling service. Funimation I'm looking at you. Also...

A theoretical streaming service with all the anime and no competitors would still have to accept the reality that they're competing with illegal torrents.
Yes, they would still need to offer users a good experience at reasonable cost.

Watching Royal Space Force The Wings of Honneamine right now with no expectation. Going to be interesting to see my impression about this movie.
I'm looking forward to see what you think.

My Hero Academia is easily the best currently running shounen manga

not even top 5 and I wont even count JoJo.

I don't have a problem with the Deku/Bakugo relationship. Deku isn't the type of character that would give up on him. It works for me.

I just think Bakugou sucks. He's not Sasuke but I still don't like him and I don't know why everyone tolerates him. It's the typical anime thing of "He's our FRIEND because he's in the SAME CLASS AS US" and not because anyone actually likes him because he's an asshole. He should've gotten over his pissy mood stage 50 chapters ago.

Skii

I just finished watching Erased. I'd been so slow with the first 6 episodes and binged the final 6 in 2 days!

Overall, it was pretty good. Good pacing, interesting concept and some very heartfelt moments.

Here are my spoiler opinions:

Problems:
I knew who the killer was immediately when we were introduced to him. It was so obvious. I feel like this has happened numerous times in anime/games and that's why it was so easy for me to pick out.

I'm a bit confused but Satoro was saved by Yashiro right?

I felt like the final part between Yashiro and Satoro was a bit weak and a bit too convenient.

Positives:
The concept was pretty interesting. It reminds me of Life Is Strange with the going back in time and the butterfly! I wonder if its just a coincidence lol.

It was important that Satoro's first venture into the past wouldn't work out. It would've been silly if he got it all right the first time round so that was good to see.

I also felt the character interactions were essentially perfect. Always kept you watching and was never too cutesie or too serious.

And I'm so glad Airi appeared right at the end. I was ready to be extremely disappointed but it's great to see Satoro have some actual happiness back in his new life and Airi tops that off nicely.

I'd give this anime about an 8.5/10.

Thanks Cornbread for the suggestion :D

Aki-at

I just think Bakugou sucks. He's not Sasuke but I still don't like him and I don't know why everyone tolerates him. It's the typical anime thing of "He's our FRIEND because he's in the SAME CLASS AS US" and not because anyone actually likes him because he's an asshole. He should've gotten over his pissy mood stage 50 chapters ago.

That got me too, the show/his gang mentioned how the two were childhood friends and I was left thinking in what definition of the word friends are those two in any sort of positive relationship.

I'm a bit confused but Satoro was saved by Yashiro right?

Manga says that
some passerby just so happened to see the car and contacted the emergency workers but I think the anime implies Yashiro was the one who saved him.

Puruzi

Banned
That got me too, the show/his gang mentioned how the two were childhood friends and I was left thinking in what definition of the word friends are those two in any sort of positive relationship.

They were actual friends before Bakugou got his quirk. He then quickly decided he was better than everyone afterwards.

Cornbread78

My Bride is a Mermaid ep.5-7
This is some funny shit... Masa is my hero, lol. Seriously though, the comedy is continuous and the show is lots of fun. I can't say I'm a big fan of the new protagonists, Miss Lunar "OH HOHOHO" is annoying as hell. This is good.

@ Woofy
The structure of Plastic Memories is really flawed, but the final 4 episodes are really heartfelt and good! I admit, it all hit me even though....

Man God

Non-Canon Member
My Bride is a Mermaid ep.5-7
This is some funny shit... Masa is my hero, lol. Seriously though, the comedy is continuous and the show is lots of fun. I can't say I'm a big fan of the new protagonists, Miss Lunar "OH HOHOHO" is annoying as hell. This is good.

@ Woofy
The structure of Plastic Memories is really flawed, but the final 4 episodes are really heartfelt and good! I admit, it all hit me even though....

QFHB2Z5.gif

Gvitor

Everyone knows exactly how Plastic Memories will end from the first episode. Even so, and with some other problems along the way, I very much enjoyed it. And that was a packed season, iirc.

Mailbox

The biggest problem with plastic memories is that the world building is complete shit, despite it being ripe for being great.

They could have done so much in showing how things work or maybe some behind the scene stuff of the world, but we really get nothing. The entire functionality of the Giftia's is also suspect since we are shown that they have a battery of sorts but that they also apparently need to pee and bleed(iirc, not 100% sure if i'm remembering that correctly), so wtf are they even? But again, this could have been fixed with a little world building and better exposition.

Plastic memories is a failed experiment that I didn't hate. I wanted it to be more than what it was, but what it was wasn't bad.

SAO movie and S3 can't come soon enough.

Wouldn't season 3 be the
Alicization
stuff? Isn't that like super long and basically completely different to the rest of the series?

The biggest problem with plastic memories is that the world building is complete shit, despite it being ripe for being great.

I think that would have been exposition that wasn't really needed. It would have made sense in the context of a story in which the end goal is to develop an improved giftia or in the plot as it revolved around Tsukasa kun
a pursuit to fix Isla
but since it wasn't I dont know where they would have fit it in to serve a purpose.

./revy

Banned
Is there an Anime Discord/IRC? And is there any way to change my username? I registered with this name forever ago since I figured my common name was taken.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Some of us are on #animegaf on irc.rizon.net.

Cornbread78

Nagi no Asukara ep.13
Fuck this episode, Fuck this show, fuck it all...... How could they
kill off Manaka as a sacrifice
I hated how she killed my wanted ship by trying to side with the land boy
, but fuck, that was not needed... Not cool Okada, dammit... not cool.

blakep267

I'm enjoying Re:Zero but it's falling into that anime trope of characters not saying what they mean when they have ample opportunity to say stuff just to further the story. I'm not even saying tell them your from another world and died 3 times. Just say, heads up, this woman Elsa is really dangerous and is going to kill you. Don't go there I get that protags have to be dumb to a certain extent, but it just seems lazy

pbayne

Yep pretty much. I could talk for hours at how stupidly set-up the entire show is but ill limit it to the absolute stupidest thing in the show. Spoilers i guess.

Why does the company making the Giftia's give them super strength when they know they go berserk when their time runs out? So they are effectively, knowingly selling a defective product that has an enhanced ability to quickly murder everyone around them and yet there seems to be no public concern or outcry about this.

If the Giftias were being used for construction or something, sure give them super abilities but they aren't shown to be. How hard is it to install an auto-shutdown function? How did this get by any planning or health regulations? Why this there supposedly pressure and closure of the retrival companies, you know the guys stopping these potential murders?Why do they wait so late to retrieve them? Seems more logical to do it a few months or so before the battery runs out. And if they run away often, why not install a tracking chip? Fuck i could go on but jesus the plot holes are too numerous and vast to count.

blakep267

Yep pretty much. I could talk for hours at how stupidly set-up the entire show is but ill limit it to the absolute stupidest thing in the show. Spoilers i guess.

Why does the company making the Giftia's give them super strength when they know they go berserk when their time runs out? So they are effectively, knowingly selling a defective product that has an enhanced ability to quickly murder everyone around them and yet there seems to be no public concern or outcry about this.

If the Giftias were being used for construction or something, sure give them super abilities but they aren't shown to be. How hard is it to install an auto-shutdown function? How did this get by any planning or health regulations? Why this there supposedly pressure and closure of the retrival companies, you know the guys stopping these potential murders?Why do they wait so late to retrieve them? Seems more logical to do it a few months or so before the battery runs out. And if they run away often, why not install a tracking chip? Fuck i could go on but jesus the plot holes are too numerous and vast to count.
the super strength thing is in fact dumb, but I guess you could always chalk that up to they are still cyborgs so its natural for them to be stronger than a human. Even I robot fell into that hole

The timetable thing is probably just for dramatic reasons. Give the MC and Isla more impact

Aki-at

They were actual friends before Bakugou got his quirk. He then quickly decided he was better than everyone afterwards.

Huh, didn't the show say that kids get their quirk at around 5 years old? If that's the case they've been enemies/frenimies far longer than actual friends! :p

blakep267

Huh, didn't the show say that kids get their quirk at around 5 years old? If that's the case they've been enemies/frenimies far longer than actual friends! :p

yeah. from the 2 eps that were shown, they were never friends. The only hint of it was 1 of the characters stating that they were childhood friends, but that wasn't shown

Mailbox

Basically all of those could have been answered properly if given better exposition.

They could have just said that the giftias are biomechanical and the strength thing was an issue of physical limiters both on the hardware and software side.They even mention something about synthetic souls, but that gets brushed aside REALLY quick. Maybe even have a slight mention about how they wanted to go into market quickly and so failed to account for those problems initially which caused the creation of the retrieval department or something. Most of the problems could have been solved with off-hand mentions or slight nods, but we wind up getting zilch.

As for the retrieval dates, yeah I'll agree that's dumb.

Cwarrior

Haikyuu
One Piece
My Hero Academia
Shokugeki no Soma
Gintama
Hunter x Hunter soon

Seems pretty good to me

My hero academia is a good shounen but nothing new &remarkable.

It's sad how you missed world trigger, it's the best shounen to come out since HxH, there's nothing like it and it's set a new bar for combat.

pbayne

The timetable thing is probably just for dramatic reasons. Give the MC and Isla more impact

That's another big problem i had with the show. The first half it tries to be a sci-fi story with a mix of lighter and darker moments. Fine. But then it suddenly switches gears to be a romance with no natural progression or even inclination that Isla and the MC were interested in each other. Its such a jarring transition. I can't think of a single moment in the first half of the show were Isla and MC interacted about anything other than their job.

Heck i would have been on board if the MC fell for the red-haired tsundere girl. Sure she was a typical tsundere but at least they has some chemistry together and seem to be around the same age. Instead we're stuck with an unnatural cobbled together relationship that i can't get behind because its so distant and unrelatable/borderline creepy.

sonicmj1

Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou 1

This episode was basically a longer version of the most recent PV, but I still love it. Probably the hardest thing it has to sell is the main character's "Tonkatsu = DJing" revelation, but they pretty much nailed it with how they used the soundtrack.

yYt3n5G.png

Do they speak jive?

I want more of this so badly.

Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou 1

This episode was basically a longer version of the most recent PV, but I still love it. Probably the hardest thing it has to sell is the main character's "Tonkatsu = DJing" revelation, but they pretty much nailed it with how they used the soundtrack.

I enjoyed how it integrated the sound of lettuce chopping with the dance music.

Danball Senki 9

It was just one big boss fight!!

I suspect these might work even better in the anime than in the game, since my main complaint about the game is how much it likes to interrupt the middle of boss fights with cutscenes.

Cornbread78

Kimikiss Pure Rouge ep.7-9
This is a completely different show than what I thought it was, but it is still very sweet to the core. There will definitely be sone drama incoming with the male male leads since they each have two girls as official and "unofficial" love interests, but we'll see where it goes.

Gvitor

Re zero 2

About time he figured it out. Still, while I thought it was enjoyable, no progress was made in this episode. Hopefully at least this timeline doesn't get wiped next week.

Jintor

Baku seems like a complete asshat to us because we know he basically bullied Deku for like 10 years straight. To the kids in their class, he's just the kid Deku knows from high school who's a super aggressive shitbag but who can actually back up his words with action. But when it comes to the Deku-Baku relationship, I think to the class, because they've never seen truly pathetic Deku, it comes off as less bullying and more rivalry imho.

Also he tends to get his comeuppance every once in a while, so it's not like he's always #winning

that said

I don't get deku thinking they're friends at all. It's probably an indication of how incredibly fucked up socially deku is, lol

Squalor

Re zero 2

About time he figured it out. Still, while I thought it was enjoyable, no progress was made in this episode. Hopefully at least this timeline doesn't get wiped next week.
We got a new character, and he built character relations, but it was still a very slight episode that could have been halved or split among episodes with more narrative heft had the writing been better.

Fairly inconsequential overall, maybe even completely.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Kimikiss Pure Rouge ep.7-9
This is a completely different show than what I thought it was, but it is still very sweet to the core. There will definitely be sone drama incoming with the male male leads since they each have two girls as official and "unofficial" love interests, but we'll see where it goes.

It's gonna end badly.

Q3tHbkO.gif

JulianImp

Kiznaiver 01

We building it uuuup, to burn it down.

We can't wait to burn it to the ground~

Revelling in a show crashing and burning is quite fitting for someone with an Ougi avatar, I'd say.

Guess I'll have to watch the first episode later to see what the fuss is all about.

Squalor

Kiznaiver 01

We building it uuuup, to burn it down.

We can't wait to burn it to the ground~
It was not a good first episode.

Not nearly the worst from the season, but execution was so half-assed for an interesting premise. Characters are terribly written as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom