• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Blade

gunslinger_girl_blu_ray_art_by_kalasraven.png

Before I will start this, I will say something to FUNimation. Don't try to deceive us when trying to promote this show. The trailer they use (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL9DQXrwmF4) make it feel like this show is an action show when it reality it isn't. Not saying I got deceive when going into this show for the 1st time but I can see why quite a few people don't like the tone of the show. Now, let's go to the fun part of the show.

If I could put a word to explain this entire show, the best word I can say for now is hopeless as this entire show have a very sad undertone which get very depressing very quickly once you start to understand the story of Gunslinger Girl.

The main story of Gunslinger Girl is you follow a group of 5 female characters whose life chance very negatively and give them a second chance of life by having their bodies and memories altered from alter their bodies design with mechanical parts which make them much stronger and wipe their memories of their past. This groups of five ladies join a special agency whose mission is to do the dirty work the government don't want to do with the help of their own partner. Now, this might sound not too bad and might get interesting for a show but this doesn't end this way. Those five ladies you follow are actually young girls who have a very disturb past of before coming into the agency. The agency their work for is actually a dark secret call the Social Welfare Agency which is basically a cover so, no one will check on them when in reality, it's just a agency to brainwash those 5 girls into a killing machine. Also, those partners their work for, well....they're actually man who call handler who mission is to control them in battle and use them as a tool to kill the enemies. You can say those girls are a submissive blank slates where the handlers treated them like objects, those that tried to befriend them used methods that were like "the seduction of 'damaged goods.' You can see where this show can be very controversial.

Thankfully, the show didn't go too far in this weird and disturbing path and push more into the story of those five little girls ( Henrietta, Rico, Triella, Angelica, and Clyce). The main plot of the entire show is seeing how the girls try to handle the situation they're in while try to have some sort of innocence childhood life within the conform of the Agency (knowing quite well of what they're been use). This shine even more of the complex web of relationship with their own handler. The bonds between the girl and the handler can be say like a parent and child or mentor and student. Each pair shows varying of compassion and indifference. It's interesting to see how each handler and the girls work together as one. For some, you can see the emotional side of them like they're either quite a team or more than that. For other, you can see the harshness between the handler acting cold to the child to the point that they think of them nothing more of a tool which can replace when the tool is broken. This get depressing and sad when one of the girl (not from the main five) have so much emotional attachment with her handler that she want to be with him even though, he doesn't think of her as child but mere of a tools which can replace. You can see how this disconnect eventually reach to the boiling point where an incident make her realize nothing she do to express her feeling won't make her handler be nice to her and end it in a very tragic way.

Another big strength I can talk about is the sound. The soundtrack of this show is great to listen and did really help set the mood of the show tone. At the same time, it's good to listen to. I don't know how many time I play the soundtrack when doing work but it does help me to pass the time quickly. Very emotional tune and have some positive feel and sad tone.

So, is this show for everyone? Well...this is where I will stop. If you see the trailer which FUNimation use to promote this show in North America, you can see it's almost action pace. The issue I have with this is this isn't really an action based show. Yes, they do have few action scene in the shows but it's far in between and most of time, it isn't too long. I am a bit worry of people going into this show without knowing what they get themselves into and thinking the show will be young girl with big guns shooting at enemies when in reality it boil down into getting depress when knowing all this girls don't really have a long life span based on the work they're doing. Also, I don't think this show is an easy watch to go though all at once. It took me few months to finish this show as it get very depressing to watch in some episodes (actually, took a week off from watching it and go watch Great Teacher Onizuka ). I have a feeling this might be a common thing for some people watching it.

Overall, Gunslinger Girl is a very interesting show I have watch in my collection. The story of the girls and how they handle their situation is interesting to watch even though it get depressing quickly if you stick with it. I would recommend to people who never watch it to give it a try and keep an open mind when going into it. Now, I will need some time to get myself ready to watch the sequel of it.
vdG4WY1.gif

Cornbread78

Asterisk S2 ep.2
Not much happened, but something is going G on behind the scenes. Ayoto needs to find his sister at sone point so he can go all-out.

Far from it, it's in a very good state!

(I suppose I made a mistake in not explicitly stating that I meant "shounen action".)

Shounen action does narrow things a bit, and I don't want to be too hard on My Hero Academia when I just have the anime to judge. I don't read a whole lot of manga regularly.

But let's not start pretending any shounen is high art or anything. It's shounen.

Let's not make dogmatic statements like that when manga published in shounen magazines can range widely in subject matter and style. A top-tier manga such as Genkaku Picasso is shounen, after all.

I read your impressions about the anime in the thread but I forgot to answer, you should consider giving a read to the manga, the faster pace may be more enjoyable yo you. If you don't like it is fine too, but the work makes is easy to make assumptions about how the story will progress and then completely go a different direction.

The material of My Hero Academia, with a setting influenced by American superhero comics, isn't naturally appealing to me so I'd need really good execution to make it work.

Everyday I don't have a blu-ray of Cromartie High School with this cover

on626mZ.jpg

Is another day I die a little inside. Who holds the right and do I have to write them a letter pretending to be an 8 year old so they make one?

SalvaPot

The material of My Hero Academia, with a setting influenced by American superhero comics, isn't naturally appealing to me so I'd need really good execution to make it work.

Fair enough =).

on626mZ.jpg

Is another day I die a little inside. Who holds the right and do I have to write them a letter pretending to be an 8 year old so they make one?
We need a petition to make this happen.

Kiznaïver 01 - connect kokoro
Izhg0gN.png

IM@S?

A more grounded Trigger show. Alright, I'll do this. I'm counting on Mari Okada to turn up the insanity later on. Not a whole lot of humor, though, which I suppose is good for the setting, but if anything I feel like I'm watching something that could have been done by A-1 Pictures.

I guess I'm just used to Trigger's full shows (I suppose there are really only two other ones) having pretty exciting first episodes. Bring on the sakuga

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Bakugo fulfills the same function as the Sauce does: the unreachable goal, in terms of both skill and emotional closeness, for Midoriya, our Naruto.

Personality-wise Todoroki is the Sauce.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Bakugo fulfills the same function as the Sauce does: the unreachable goal, in terms of both skill and emotional closeness, for Midoriya, our Naruto.

Personality-wise Todoroki is the Sauce.

Urgh... oh come I wasn't expecting the author to play the trope completely straight if what your saying is correct. I stopped after the end of the villains arc because I found them completely underwhelming and thus lost interest, but I wasn't expecting the author to go that route after Naruto just ended and we've had a decade of that shit.

I'm calling bullshit on that, I mean I'd understand if this was a year or two but over 10 years and the amount of output he does per year, I simply can't fathom that if it was so driven to alleviate that problem he would have done years ago. A man of his stature could have done any host of things. Hell he could had someone else draw it while he worked on the writing. It just does not add up to me, not for that period of time.

Russ T

Banned
They are nothing alike. This is the comparison I keep hearing about and it pisses me off. Bakugo is more like Vegeta, if anything.

People have been trying to compare Bakugo to Sasuke forever now and it just doesn't work.

Yeah, I wouldn't have even made that comparison if it hadn't come up on its own.

I dunno if I'd really even compare Bakugou to Vegeta. I'd just say Bakugou's an ass and it's weird people like him and leave it at that.

Shounen action does narrow things a bit, and I don't want to be too hard on My Hero Academia when I just have the anime to judge. I don't read a whole lot of manga regularly.

Yeah I haven't watched the anime, yet. And I think it takes a while to really pick up. Up until a point it's just kinda standard shounen action stuff, and then it gets really... committed to things. That's when it really clicked for me. Not that I'd expect it to click for everyone.

Let's not make dogmatic statements like that when manga published in shounen magazines can range widely in subject matter and style. A top-tier manga such as Genkaku Picasso is shounen, after all.

Yeah I wasn't really being fair. There's a lot of shounen I think is really damn good and I'd recommend without that "but it is shounen so... you know" warning.

SalvaPot

Urgh... oh come I wasn't expecting the author to play the trope completely straight if what your saying is correct. I stopped after the end of the villains arc because I found them completely underwhelming and thus lost interest, but I wasn't expecting the author to go that route after Naruto just ended and we've had a decade of that shit.

You mean that Bakugou is following the Sasuke storyline straight? Because they are really not. They are very different characters, the comparison they are making is that of childhood friends that get separated by their gaps in power and one having to constantly catch-up with the other one. But MHA doesn't do this, so I still don't know why people keep on comparing Bakugou with Sasuke where they are nothing alike.

Hell just typing that out pretty much tells that there really is very little connecting both characters, since Naruto and Sasuke are hardly childhood friends.

Thoraxes

Kuma Miko 2

It's an enjoyable show but I guess the raunchy shit of the first episode was a one-off thing . This episode we had what I expect the majority of the show to be, which was a trial given to her by Thoraxes to see if she can truly move to the city.

I'll probably keep watching as it's inoffensive and entertaining enough to keep watching, but I doubt it'll be anywhere on my AOTS or AOTY list.

I'm glad you enjoyed my performance this week. Please look forward to next week's episode!

SalvaPot

All this talk is making me want to read Naruto to see just how bad it really gets.

I'll say do it, early Naruto is still pretty good, even if tarnished by the sheer boredom of the later arcs. If you had read the early parts, reading the latest could be counted as a form of torture.

Haly

It's an exaggeration. He's not really the Sauce, but there are parallels, the most notable one being that Todoroki is basically cool-by-design, like the Sauce was.

Russ T

Banned
Yeah I like early Naruto! The graduation test will always be one of my favorite things in anime/manga. Rock Lee and that sand guy, goddamn.

SalvaPot

Yeah I like early Naruto! The graduation test will always be one of my favorite things in anime/manga. Rock Lee and that sand guy, goddamn.

Yeah, those were the days. The animation for those chapters was a thing of beauty, Rock Lee unlocking his power, damn. I still think he deserved to beat Gaara.

Ascheroth

Mawaru Penguindrum - 12

So that was the incident, that connects everyone. And where the Survival Strategy comes from. I want to know more.
And an explanation to what happened between Boushi-sama and Kanda in episode 1! ...And it was actually kind of obvious.
Noooo,
Himariiii! So librarian dude is actually a bad guy, since he's with the rabbits? The whole Destination of Fate thing is still kind of vague, will be interesting to find out more.
And I really want to know what's with this show and apples. There are apples everywhere, in every analogy and Ringo means basically apple <.<
(Don't answer this please)

Samurai Flamenco 7

lol

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Clov

on626mZ.jpg

Discotek currently has the North American rights for the show, and they're re-releasing it on DVD here... very soon. Within a few months, I think. Can't remember exactly when.

I don't think there's any HD masters of the show, so it might be best to send your letter to whichever company Discotek licensed it from. Hope your Japanese is up to par!

Edit: It's actually later this month, on the 26th!

I like how Naruto ends with both Naruto and Sasuke
losing an arm, but still being friends.

Putting aside all the other shit, they should hate each other just for that.

Discotek currently has the North American rights for the show, and they're re-releasing it on DVD here... very soon. Within a few months, I think. Can't remember exactly when.

I don't think there's any HD masters of the show, so it might be best to send your letter to whichever company Discotek licensed it from. Hope your Japanese is up to par!

ware ware watashi Cromartie High School desu senpai, blu ray? naniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Sansha Sanyou

For those worried we'd not have a simple SoL high school show about girls fear not. This is it.

The animation was pretty nice mind.

Thoraxes

Ace Attorney - 02

Fine for me as usual.

Though they fucked up by putting the
King of Prosecutors trophy
on the couch. That isn't supposed to show up until after case 4 and during case 5! It's an important object!

Principate

Saint Titanfall
It's an exaggeration. He's not really the Sauce, but there are parallels, the most notable one being that Todoroki is basically cool-by-design, like the Sauce was.

That's good at least, I mean there wre parallels from the onset, but the specific strain of annoyance I (and likely most people have), is naruto's consistent chasing both in friendship and powerlevel (but mostly friendship) in spite of Sauce continually being a douche. As long as that doesn't happen I don't mind too much the generic rival characters though they can certainly be better done, or him straight up just being an unreemable douche and MC doesn't try to redeem him.

Clov

ware ware watashi Cromartie High School desu senpai, blu ray? naniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Nailed it. :p

Something Discotek has experimented with has been "SD-BD", where the video on the disc is DVD quality, and they just use the extra space on the BD to fit more episodes. They did that with Samurai Pizza Cats. Maybe if Cromartie does well enough for them, they'll release it like that later on. Or maybe there will be an upscaled BD released in Japan, and one over here could follow. It's not a great chance, but it's not impossible!

Haly

That's good at least, I mean there wre parallels from the onset, but the specific strain of annoyance I (and likely most people have), is naruto's consistent chasing both in friendship and powerlevel (but mostly friendship) in spite of Sauce continually being a douche. As long as that doesn't happen I don't mind too much the generic rival characters though they can certainly be better done, or him straight up just being an unreemable douche and MC doesn't try to redeem him.

Well you know how in early Naruto, Sauce was making some progress and then it all went to shit and he became insufferable forever?

Todoroki is like early Sauce before Sauce said "fuck you" to character development.

BiggNife

this is like, exactly what One Punch Man was satirizing, but played completely straight. I wonder what it would have been like if this came out (in anime form) before OPM?

Well, yeah. OPM is a parody of shounen, and MHA is as shounen as it gets.

And I don't really think that's a bad thing. MHA is trying to be one very specific thing and it does a pretty good job of it. If you're not a fan of standard shounen then MHA probably isn't your kind of show.

SalvaPot

Well you know how in early Naruto, Sauce was making some progress and then it all went to shit and he became insufferable forever?

Todoroki is like early Sauce before Sauce said "fuck you" to character development.

I think we are getting into spoiler territory now.

Cornbread78

Re:Zero ep.2
That was am interesting episode as he tries to find a way to be a good guy and save everyone. How it is all happening is still a mystery, bit I'm guessing that the witch knows more than we think and we just didn't hear it in the first episode. This is pretty good, but he needs to ditch that tracksuit because I can think about is Kazuma...

Plastic Memories 1

The whole premise of this god damn show seems to have been written by a boardroom meeting like

"Oh man you know what would be super sad?"

"What?"

"A sci fi story about robots that only live like 9 years"

"Genius Do we make them cold and lifeless looking to explore the meaning behind AI and what it means to be alive even on machines that don't entirely look human?"

"Fuck that, we make them look and act exactly like people, we can even make them cry so it's EXTRA manipulative!"

It's like if Bladerunner was made by KEY.

Plastic Memories 1

The whole premise of this god damn show seems to have been written by a boardroom meeting like

"What?"

"Genius Do we make them cold and lifeless looking to explore the meaning behind AI and what it means to be alive even on machines that don't entirely look human?"

"Fuck that, we make them look and act exactly like people, we can even make them cry so it's EXTRA manipulative!"

...Are you gonna keep watching though?

Yeah, those were the days. The animation for those chapters was a thing of beauty, Rock Lee unlocking his power, damn. I still think he deserved to beat Gaara.

I think that would have significantly hurt the high quality writing from Kishimoto. I would have rathed Rock Lee have just never got the subsequent surgery and just retired. Would have made for an interesting situation for his class to handle.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The whole point is to set up Gaara as the final boss of the arc.

- He killed those goobers he ran into.
- He cleared the test in record time.
- His brother and sister are handlers for his madness
- Lee destroyed the Sauce
- Gaara destroys Lee who pulls out tricks that would have obliterated everyone else in the contest.

Plus it sets up Lee's redemption angle and another reason to track down Tsunade.

pbayne

Plastic Memories 1

"What?"

Wait until the shows logic completely collapses in on itself. It basically begs viewers to "shut up, don't pay close attention to this".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom