• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mailbox

Re:ZERO episodes 1a,1b,2

Honestly, really pleasantly surprised here.
When it started I expected it to be a more serious less comedy driven version of Konosuba, but it ended up being pretty much
Groundhogs day
but with more murder.

I like it so far tbh, I will say that the character designs aren't A+ tier but they work well enough (though I'm not a huge fan of Felts design, but whatever). Animation is quite nice, and I'm liking the MC so far.

If this was going to be 12 or 13 episodes then I'd be super mad at the pacing, but since its gonna be 25 episodes, I'm actually super glad at the slow methodical pace. It feels like its using time properly either to hit in specific details or to give moments the time they need to stick. Episode 2 was definitely mostly set up, which I don't mind, but I do understand why some people could see it as non-consequential. We'll see how this plays out, but so far, i'm super happy with this!

Enjoying this a lot, Gonna keep watching

Squalor

You can have a methodical pace, but also still make relative strides in character and narrative. Episode two didn't really do that. For all we know so far, he might lose what he has built with the characters. That can be interesting from a dramatic standpoint, but it's still potentially poor from a narrative one.

Gunslinger Girl 5

This episode really zeroed in on how abnormal this whole situation is. Even an experienced military man coming into the agency program finds himself baffled at the face-value obedience of the girls, completely lacking any ability to think flexibly and consider situational context. We've seen this as early as the first episode, when Henrietta unloaded when she felt her handler Jose was under threat, escalating a situation that could have found a less violent resolution. This episode showed the same thing on an even more dangerously unnecessary level, when an argument between Ravolo and Jose at a training range nearly ended in someone's death. This exposes a big flaw in the whole idea behind this program: the mental brainwashing and physical enhancements done to these girls may make them effective killers, but tying them so closely to their handlers robs them of independent thought and so makes it more likely that situations will spiral out of control. Even setting aside the many serious moral problems with this setup, there are practical problems which make it too risky to be relied upon. It's too bad
Ravolo was killed before he could spill the beans to the media. Omitting the actual death and leaving us to fill in the blanks made it all the more powerful.

Cornbread78

Nagi no Asukara ep.14-15
The new OP for season 2 is beautiful and fits the tone of the show perfectly. There was so much going on with Hikari's awakening, the fact he's the same age as his niece
who is suddenly mad in love with him. Manaka is probably still dead, the girl that loved him is now 5 years older than him, and everything. His sister survived and has a new baby
is just strange.

Also, can I just mention again how beautiful the final 4-6 episodes if Plastic Memories were?!! They wassss greaaat.

Re:Zero 02

Really interesting. I'm a sucker for time travelling stuff when done well. The "respawn" mechanic is going to make for some really interesting stuff, I'm sure. Although this is just an alternate reality of what we saw last week, more layers have been added to these characters, thanks to Subaru taking different courses of action. It's just like in a videogame, in that there are routes you can only see if you make a particular choice. So yeah, I continue to like the show, and will continue to watch. Pretty stoked that this is 25eps long as well.

Mailbox

You can have a methodical pace, but also still make relative strides in character and narrative. Episode two didn't really do that. For all we know so far, he might lose what he has built with the characters. That can be interesting from a dramatic standpoint, but it's still potentially poor from a narrative one.

You can't expect every episode in a 2 cour series to be heavy on narrative or on character building. That aside,

We see moments that give us a great look at the MC's fear (despite his (basically) immortality) as well as his determination to see everything through. We also had a moment where he proper considered whether to just leave everything alone and not deal with anything. Those are pretty telling characterization moments.

If episodes 1a and 1b where set ups to the world, the base characters, and the situation, then episode 2 is a set up episode to what comes next, a prelude to the next encounter(s?) and a better look at how the MC looks at himself and the situation at hand.

If you were to compare how the MC acts in episode 1a and how he acts by the end of episode 2, you'd see a damn big difference.

There have been a lot of anime, a lot of good anime, that have done worse with their second episodes.

blakep267

That's another big problem i had with the show. The first half it tries to be a sci-fi story with a mix of lighter and darker moments. Fine. But then it suddenly switches gears to be a romance with no natural progression or even inclination that Isla and the MC were interested in each other. Its such a jarring transition. I can't think of a single moment in the first half of the show were Isla and MC interacted about anything other than their job.

Heck i would have been on board if the MC fell for the red-haired tsundere girl. Sure she was a typical tsundere but at least they has some chemistry together and seem to be around the same age. Instead we're stuck with an unnatural cobbled together relationship that i can't get behind because its so distant and unrelatable/borderline creepy.

yeah I was never a fan of the Isla Tubas relationship. Mainly because while she's not human, she still looked like a little girl and tsubasa was like 18, so I didn't like that. And it seemed pretty one sided on his front

Cornbread78

yeah I was never a fan of the Isla Tubas relationship. Mainly because while she's not human, she still looked like a little girl and tsubasa was like 18, so I didn't like that. And it seemed pretty one sided on his front

Did you finish it off? By the end, it definitely was not 1 sided at all...

blakep267

Did you finish it off? By the end, it definitely was not 1 sided at all...

I did, but at that point I just felt like she liked him just because her time was basically up and he was the only guy really. Basically I feel that the author just made it happen because it needed to happen

Mailbox

I did, but at that point I just felt like she liked him just because her time was basically up and he was the only guy really. Basically I feel that the author just made it happen because it needed to happen

Considering how most of the plot is about her being distant from people just so she doesn't hurt them or get too close to them, how the hell did you get that out of the show?

You can't expect every episode in a 2 cour series to be heavy on narrative or on character building. That aside,

We see moments that give us a great look at the MC's fear (despite his (basically) immortality) as well as his determination to see everything through. We also had a moment where he proper considered whether to just leave everything alone and not deal with anything. Those are pretty telling characterization moments.

If episodes 1a and 1b where set ups to the world, the base characters, and the situation, then episode 2 is a set up episode to what comes next, a prelude to the next encounter(s?) and a better look at how the MC looks at himself and the situation at hand.

If you were to compare how the MC acts in episode 1a and how he acts by the end of episode 2, you'd see a damn big difference.

There have been a lot of anime, a lot of good anime, that have done worse with their second episodes.

As immortal as he may be the pain he gets before dying is very real. We are wired to fear death, so it's only natural. I feel like he may use this respawn ability at some point, willingly triggering it, I feel like this fear of his will most likely always be there. We didn't really talk about it, but we got introduced to a new character. We will for sure see more of him as well. Again, watching episode 2 felt just like when you play a game such as a VN, when you take a different route and get to know more about a character based on the circumstances that come after said decision. This could be pretty cool too, and gives us something to look forward to as he "respawns". I think there is some great potential here. Even if this show isn't mind blowingly good, it has been a pretty damn good watch so far.

John Blade

Gunslinger Girl 5

This episode really zeroed in on how abnormal this whole situation is. Even an experienced military man coming into the agency program finds himself baffled at the face-value obedience of the girls, completely lacking any ability to think flexibly and consider situational context. We've seen this as early as the first episode, when Henrietta unloaded when she felt her handler Jose was under threat, escalating a situation that could have found a less violent resolution. This episode showed the same thing on an even more dangerously unnecessary level, when an argument between Ravolo and Jose at a training range nearly ended in someone's death. This exposes a big flaw in the whole idea behind this program: the mental brainwashing and physical enhancements done to these girls may make them effective killers, but tying them so closely to their handlers robs them of independent thought and so makes it more likely that situations will spiral out of control. Even setting aside the many serious moral problems with this setup, there are practical problems which make it too risky to be relied upon. It's too bad
Ravolo was killed before he could spill the beans to the media. Omitting the actual death and leaving us to fill in the blanks made it all the more powerful.

Like I say from my Impression, those girls lost the only innocence of been a child and become a weapon or a tool for their handler. It's sad to see how they become that without even giving them the choice for it. For this, even if they lost it, they still try to get some sort of normality even though it isn't the same thing. I bet all of them know what will happen to them and still try to live what kind of life they have. A very depressing show but it's a very strong show because of this issue.

Just finish watching Royal Space Force The Wings of Honneamine and what a wonderful movie. I won't post my impression of this movie now as it's late but will say it's a very powerful movie and remind me quite a bit of our world and when we launch a man to space. Just a beautiful movie to watch and might re watch it once more in English dub.

Narag

Danball Senki 11
O1CbCq7l.png

Goofy plastic model combat has been handled so well so far. Good direction leading to strong poses even in "blink and you'll miss it" scenarios. Joker LBX has a little face on it and including it like that gives it a taunting quality in that shot.

Squalor

Uh, yes, yes we can expect there to be at least narrative or character weight in an entire episode. It's twenty-two minutes. A good writer can do something with that much time. Of course he's afraid. He feels pain whenever he dies, and he has to start things over again. He dies, and the people he knew are essentially dead. I don't imagine he will always return to this "apple" checkpoint, but his res pawn will always make him lose something.

That's interesting. Too bad the episode breezed right through it, though. If you're going to be methodical, commit to it. He went from "Fuck it. Don't know her" to "Oh my god, I need to be a hero and save everyone" in less than a minute of real time.

Characters can act differently all they want. That doesn't mean the progression was organic or intuitive or earned. Too many people don't get that.

"But the character is different. See?" does not prove there was development.

Re:ZERO episodes 1a,1b,2

Honestly, really pleasantly surprised here.
When it started I expected it to be a more serious less comedy driven version of Konosuba, but it ended up being pretty much
Groundhogs day
but with more murder.

I like it so far tbh, I will say that the character designs aren't A+ tier but they work well enough (though I'm not a huge fan of Felts design, but whatever). Animation is quite nice, and I'm liking the MC so far.

If this was going to be 12 or 13 episodes then I'd be super mad at the pacing, but since its gonna be 25 episodes, I'm actually super glad at the slow methodical pace. It feels like its using time properly either to hit in specific details or to give moments the time they need to stick. Episode 2 was definitely mostly set up, which I don't mind, but I do understand why some people could see it as non-consequential. We'll see how this plays out, but so far, i'm super happy with this!

Enjoying this a lot, Gonna keep watching

Yeah, I wasn't expecting to like this one but was pleasantly surprised. Not my favorite of the season, but I'm digging it. Really loved that he was familiar with the trope and immediately grasped that he was transported to a new world and was able to skip the whole 5 episodes of "What is this? Where am I? I was just on the street, what is this place?" But I was also frustrated that it took him the better part of 2 episodes to figure out
he's going back in time when he dies.
I thought that was inconsistent, but he's finally figured that out so I think I'll be good with however the rest of the show goes.

Cornbread78

If I wasn't on my phone I could go on a little word run on it all, but as Mailbox pointed out, there were reasons for the way she was and the co-dependency between the two was very transparent by the end. Even though the beginning was all over the place story wise, by the end they gave it a reallyrics compelling and emotional punch without any stupid and non-sensicle plot twists to ruin what they built up.

All this Plastic Memories talk reminds me that the Micharu spin-off manga should be out in a couple months.

Mailbox

I guess we're just gonna have to agree to disagree on this front then :/

If I wasn't on my phone I could go on a little word run on it all, but as Mailbox pointed out, there were reasons for the way she was and the co-dependency between the two was very transparent by the end. Even though the beginning was all over the place story wise, by the end they gave it a reallyrics compelling and emotional punch without any stupid and non-sensicle plot twists to ruin what they built up.

All this Plastic Memories talk reminds me that the Micharu spin-off manga should be out in a couple months.

Idk why, but the slight spelling errors, autocorrect madness, and weird grammar of this post is kind of adorable in a way.

is that weird of me to say?

yes, yes it very much is...

zulux21

Re:Zero 02

Really interesting. I'm a sucker for time travelling stuff when done well. The "respawn"

We had a time travel show for the winter season.
one for the spring season.
and one of the summer shows can be considered time travel.

I wonder what fall show will have time travel elements.

Wanderer5

Netoge Episode 1

I just got to the offline meetup.

I was not prepared

I WAS NOT PREPARED!!!

Eeeeeeh I not going to bother, but lol at the summary.

Our naïve protagonist proposes to a female character in an online game, only to find out that the player is actually a guy. Traumatized by that, he decides to never trust a girl online, but now, two years later, a female player is proposing to him. What will happen?

That just lol.

ibyea

Banned
Lost Village: 2
Too annoyingly stupid, but not stupid enough for the funny to overcome annoyance like last episode. C'mon show, you can be stupider than that!

Cornbread78

I guess we're just gonna have to agree to disagree on this front then :/
Idk why, but the slight spelling errors, autocorrect madness, and weird grammar of this post is kind of adorable in a way.
is that weird of me to say?
yes, yes it very much is...

Bite me. I just got home from work and was walking the dog while typing that on my phone, lol.

We had a time travel show for the winter season.
one for the spring season.
and one of the summer shows can be considered time travel.

I wonder what fall show will have time travel elements.

I'm really looking forward to ReWrite this summer (I know your talking about Orange though, lol)

Gunslinger Girl 6

This is the most normal episode of the show so far, as it focuses on the fairly straightforward unfolding of a mission. But the direction was impeccable and still had the cold, methodical approach of the rest of the show. The opening sequence was especially impressive as a slice of Hitchcock-style thriller, with the repeated cuts between the subway trains and the ticking time bomb. The irony of the final scene was as sweet as the gelato.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Sakamoto desu is surprisingly funny, the description of the show made it sounds a bit corny, but I got a few good laugh on the first episode.

zulux21

Bite me. I just got home from work and was walking the dog while typing that on my phone, lol.

I'm really looking forward to ReWrite this summer (I know your talking about Orange though, lol)

yup totally talking about Orange.
I can't wait for that one, hopefully it is a good adaption as I read like half the manga and then didn't read the second half so it should be nice to watch to recap and then just enjoy the rest.

Should just drop everything except Concrete Revolutio tbh. That's what I feel like doing!

As much as I like Concrete Revolutio, there are other series I'm currently watching that I like more!

But that reminds me that I still needed to listen to the performance of Tabidachi no Uta that you posted earlier. Nice song and seems really appropriate for the period and the themes of the show. One of my favorite aspects of Concrete Revolutio is how it provides a starting point for learning more about Japanese political and cultural history.

ibyea

Banned
Ace Attorney: 2
God, I can't stand how sterile this show looks. But at least it had some great moments and made me feel something. As long as the show is able to do that, I think I can keep going.

Also, I really didn't like Edgeworth's voice.

Cornbread78

yup totally talking about Orange.
I can't wait for that one, hopefully it is a good adaption as I read like half the manga and then didn't read the second half so it should be nice to watch to recap and then just enjoy the rest.

Why those reactions for Netoge? It's not a particularly offensive show.

Attention.

Exactly, Netoge hasn't gone "places" yet. I can't wait for more.

I'm really disappointed they haven't introduced a stupid monster.
Like cyborg werewolves.

It's coming. There was something there running through the bushes, remember?

._.
I actually wasn't trying to be mean there, but I get how you could have seen it that way.
Sorry

Lol, no worries, at all. I'm usually all over the place anyhow if I'm not talking my time for work or soccr related activities, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom