• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibyea

Banned
I watched today's episode of Ace Attorney with the alternate English sub, just for curiousity's sake. I just can't. The sub says hamburger and the dubbing I can clearly hear miso ramen. XD

duckroll

Give it time. Someone must have led them to this abandoned town in the middle of nowhere for a reason.

I have reason to believe that one or more of the people in the tour group itself probably engineered the events to gather like-minded people to basically create this imaginary utopia, which clearly doesn't exist. Or does it. Because as with all good horror, it will turn out that there -was- such a utopia with a secret so shocking no one will survive watching the final episode.

ALL HAIL THE BUNNY GODS.

ibyea

Banned
I have reason to believe that one or more of the people in the tour group itself probably engineered the events to gather like-minded people to basically create this imaginary utopia, which clearly doesn't exist. Or does it. Because as with all good horror, it will turn out that there -was- such a utopia with a secret so shocking no one will survive watching the final episode.

ALL HAIL THE BUNNY GODS.

Oh man, watching this show with you guys is going to be so much fun. XD

Rakudai Kishi no Calvary Episode 7-END

Holy shit. That was good. That was real good.

I didn't think what started as a generic LN school show could turn into something so awesome. Ikki went through hell in those last few episodes but it was all worth it by proving himself to the entire world with that one sword strike. The action in this show was really well done and the characters actually developed in meaningful ways. I'm really hoping we see a 2nd season of this.

Hunter x Hunter 1999

Yorknew city arc OVA 1-8

Finally finished the YNC arc and thought it was pretty good. I've heard mixed things about the 1999 greed island OVA's so is it best to just move on to the 2011 series? I've already finished the 1999 series.

zulux21

I watched today's episode of Ace Attorney with the alternate English sub, just for curiousity's sake. I just can't. The sub says hamburger and the dubbing I can clearly hear miso ramen. XD

it was odd but the only way I can watch the series :p

I can't watch an ace attorney series with a Phoenix Wright knock off, it's gotta be Phoenix Wright (who was almost Roger if i recall right :p)

Hunter x Hunter 1999

Yorknew city arc OVA 1-8

Finally finished the YNC arc and thought it was pretty good. I've heard mixed things about the 1999 greed island OVA's so is it best to just move on to the 2011 series? I've already finished the 1999 series.

Yeah, I haven't heard anything good about the Greed Island OVAs. 2011 is going to be your only anime option from now on.

I'm actually in the middle of the Yorknew OVAs myself, and while I'm enjoying them, I do have to say they suffer from rather poor pacing. With a number of these episodes when I reach the end I don't think "I really need to watch the next episode", I think "Was that really it?" The last half of episode 5 is devoted purely to Pakunoda's inner thoughts as she tries to figure out what course of action to take, and maybe a minute of that is just a slow zoom on Pakunoda as reused footage plays behind her. It feels so much like unnecessary padding to get to the desired episode count.

Yeah, I haven't heard anything good about the Greed Island OVAs. 2011 is going to be your only anime option from now on.

I'm actually in the middle of the Yorknew OVAs myself, and while I'm enjoying them, I do have to say they suffer from rather poor pacing. With a number of these episodes when I reach the end I don't think "I really need to watch the next episode", I think "Was that really it?" The last half of episode 5 is devoted purely to Pakunoda's inner thoughts as she tries to figure out what course of action to take, and maybe a minute of that is just a slow zoom on Pakunoda as reused footage plays behind her. It feels so much like unnecessary padding to get to the desired episode count.

Same thoughts as well on that episode. Not sure if it was like that in the manga but I thought it was a scene clearly devoted to saving the animators money lol

Joe Molotov

Week 1 hot takes:

Great:
Anne-Happy - S A D G I R L Z pls inject directly into my eyeballs.
My Hero Academia - Hot blooded shonen action.
Kiznaiver - Really liked the first episode, we'll see where it goes.
Kagewani II - Great horror series that doesn't take itself too seriously.
Sakamoto - Funny show, it reminds me a bit of Chromartie High

Good:
Bakuon!! - C Y C L E G I R L Z, will take this show intravenously pls.
Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress - Attack on Titans for train otaku, I can dig it.
Tanaka-kun is Always Listless - Best BL series of the season that doesn't feature grooming.
Flying Witch - I love rural SoL shows, but this one didn't immediately grab me like Non Non Biyori or Barakamon. Will keep watching.
Bungo Stray Dogs - faces.jpg
Go! Go! Goma-chan - EMBRACE OF BROTHERLY LOVE!!
Kumamiko - Thank you Hosoda-sensei for delivering unto us this SoL bestiality future!

Meh:
Haifuri - S H I P G I R L Z, not too exiciting, well eat cold the second day.
Space Patrol Luluco - Well, until they make Inferno Cop S2, I guess there's this.
Joker Game - Kinda boring, I'll watch a few episode and see where it goes.
Netoge - Mildly amusing.

Bad:
Pan de Peace! - B R E A D G I R L Z, only a mid-afternoon snack. Just not enough meat on that bone. 3:00 doesn't seem like long enough for this show to do anything. It's like "Yo, I like bread! Me too! The End"
Three Leaves, Three Colors - This show should have been 3 minutes. It's like "Okay, the rich girl is poor now lulz. Oh shit, we still got 21 minutes left!"
DJ Agetaro - Is this memes?

Dumpster Fire:
Crane Game Girls - C R A N E G I R L Z, do not want.
The Lost Village - Will hate watch to see how stupid it gets.
Hundred - Dumb
Cerberus - Also dumb.
Endride - Worst crystal-based show since Sailor Moon Crystal.

Narag

Danball Senki 13

n1j4Gsnl.png

eygwd4zl.png

S9xjFpYl.png

This dialogue gives me a strong urge to watch WIXOSS

zulux21

One Piece - 1

Hang on, it's Luffy pronounced as looofy rather than Luffy as in fluffy?
https://media.giphy.com/media/106PwpLIIXJnXi/giphy.gif[img]

I'm going back to bed.[/QUOTE]

U = ooh sound.

it's a japanese name so it shouldn't be surprising that it is Loofy.

zulux21

I'mma stop you right there and tell you what I tell everyone - read the manga.

The anime is better for the first 300 eps or so if you skip the filler >.>

after that you either should read the manga, watch it while doing other stuff, or maybe hope there is a fan edit to correct the pacing though.

Pre timeskip anime is great. Voices and music make for an enjoyable experience even with the lackluster animation.

Post timeskip manga>>>>>>>>>>>>>> though

really it's the scooby doo arc that the wheels come off the bus.
though it's not bad watching the english dub to go to sleep of the stuff after that.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I almost wonder if Capcom could just resell the games again with a more... unsanitized localization.

I only made it three episodes into WIXOSS.

Maybe I'll go back to it someday.

When I'm really hammered.
This was the Okada incest card game anime right?

zulux21

I almost wonder if Capcom could just resell the games again with a more... unsanitized localization.

doubtful.
the great detective game they could get away without the full blown localization but I can't imagine there will be a huge demand for a more traditional localization of the games.

we are phoenix wright fans not Ryuuichi Naruhodou fans.
I mean it might be interesting, but I can't see myself going back and replaying the games like that. it just feels to wrong after a decade of him being phoenix wright.

just like how it's doctor Robotnic and not doctor eggman.

ibyea

Banned
Concrete Revolutio: 14
Wow, I actually felt pity towards Shiba.

And that song at the end, that was so great.

What an awesome start to the second part of Concrete Revolutio!

zulux21

I dunno man I really liked impel down and marineford in the anime

pacing is still horrible for both of those in the anime.

really Marineford has pluses and minuses in both, and the best version would be an edited version of the anime that cuts things down.

the manga was kind of hard to follow there because there was just so much going on and the art for one piece isn't exactly amazing.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
pacing is still horrible for both of those in the anime.

really Marineford has pluses and minuses in both, and the best version would be an edited version of the anime that cuts things down.

the manga was kind of hard to follow there because there was just so much going on and the art for one piece isn't exactly amazing.

The best version of Marineford is the first few minutes of 3D2Y for that reason!

SalvaPot

I'll argue the One Piece anime is kind of a slog for the first few episodes, the pacing feels really slow for me. But then it picks up and what a ride it is all the way to the timeskip.

Its perhaps the best world building in the story of manga/anime.

Now that I mention it, are there any other series that does world building as great as One Piece does?

Now that I mention it, are there any other series that does world building as great as One Piece does?

As in just manga? I honestly don't really think so. I think when most people talk about "world building" it doesn't really fit but if it ever did have meaning it would when applied to One Piece. Anything else I could thing of isn't one person's creative vision and has been passed on and done by multiple people like Dune or Lord of the Rings

firehawk12

Subete no aware
doubtful.
the great detective game they could get away without the full blown localization but I can't imagine there will be a huge demand for a more traditional localization of the games.

we are phoenix wright fans not Ryuuichi Naruhodou fans.
I mean it might be interesting, but I can't see myself going back and replaying the games like that. it just feels to wrong after a decade of him being phoenix wright.

just like how it's doctor Robotnic and not doctor eggman.
Is Vega Bison or is Bison Vega? Street Fighter fans will never agree!

But yeah, when I watched an episode my brain couldn't handle the fact that the subtitles clearly did not match the audio. Strangely, I almost think it'd work better with a dub so that you can just get rid of that problem entirely.

Squishy3

But yeah, when I watched an episode my brain couldn't handle the fact that the subtitles clearly did not match the audio. Strangely, I almost think it'd work better with a dub so that you can just get rid of that problem entirely.
The answer is Claw and Dictator

Dictator/Claw/Boxer. ez.
MPR get out of my head plz

zulux21

I just repeatedly thought of the awkard zombie comic about eatting hamburgers and laughed at the differences.

Started watching magi and am i going crazy or is there a significant drop in animation quality during the second half of labyrinth.

Otherwise it's a pretty fun show.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom