• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

lolocol 2

better than last week. alpha omega slows the show down enough to give it a rest from the frenetic pacing which lolocol picks right up again. still not sure how i feel about it

that ed tho

i fucking marked out when they casually executed that dude. so stupid it looped back around to being hilarious

Tanaka-kun 1

Probably the most I've laughed at a full length anime comedy since Love Lab. It doesn't feature the conspicuous sakuga of something like LL but the animation is thoughtful and appropriate for the material. It's attractive and pleasant to watch across the board. The pace necessitated by the premise and jokes is refreshing, particularly as a production of Japanese origin. And sure, the kid is a hypothyroid Dx waiting to happen but it's funny so I'm not complaining. New favourite show of the season.

Swagamoto 1

I read through a couple of volumes of this a while ago and was vaguely entertained. The animated version isn't adding any value beyond what I've already read so this is a pass.

>.<
oh well, I guess I will power through it lol.

hmmmm
thinking about things
amazon owns rights to Noitamina
crunchy owns rights to kadokawa
aniplex owns rights to... well aniplex
ditto for pony canyon.
netflix seems to have a deal in place with Polygon Pictures given they got two different shows from them.
hulu sort of has a deal with Viz with the absorption of neon alley.

I wonder what move funimation will make as I can't imagine they don't want to make a competitive splash as well. given how many Bones shows they get I wonder if they would sign a big deal with Bones.

it's starting to become a really weird time to be an anime fan. I don't feel like anime is on the rise again like back in early 2000s, yet we seem to be getting more and more players in the market. I mean more anime for US fans to consume is a good thing. it's just weird that in the last two years. a bunch of major streaming partners have jumped in.

I am half expecting that next month google will announce that they picked up distribution rights for TV tokyo shows for youtube red or something goofy like that >.<

Funimation is tied with universal

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...-pictures-enter-distribution-agreement/.89621

Hai Furi Ep. 1
I could have done with a bit more exposition to explain how/why teenage girls have to man ships but better to delay that than to info dump it I guess. That it allowed them to spend more time on the characters is probably a good thing because if the turn at the end is a sign of the direction the series is going in
not everyone is returning to port here

The boats in this look pretty handsome too and seem to be a strange blend of eras with WW2 Japanese ships (Musashi, Harekaze) for the training fleets and modern US warships for the fleet (USS Independence, the GD version of LCS). I really like the mad mix of inter-war, low production rate and WW2 tanks in GuP and so I'm hoping they do the same here.

So far it is better than Kancolle in which I found the MC too annoying after only 1 episode and what the hell why are all the ships crappy waterski boots (haaaaatttteeeee this)? I have a weak spot for Arpeggio of Blue Steel because it's an anime series I watched fairly early (and thus wasn't bored of all the tropes) and the boats and battles largely looked pretty good.

Defo be watching this.

Re: Zero Ep. 2

Yeah I'm onboard for this, I like the slower pace and if they wind up
going full Groundhog Day on it and replaying the same day
for the entire series I'd be OK with that so long as they can keep having it reveal new aspects to what we already know.

Flying Witch Ep. 1

My first thought was that Makoto's face was strangely off putting and it took a bit of time for me to get over that but I think I like this. The back and forth with the little sister character felt quite natural from barely speaking to the stranger to excited ravings once the ice was broken. I'm interested to see how magic is treated in this world as there was none of the 'what if people see?' bluster I expect from shows this seemingly grounded in normality.

Pan de Peace Ep. 2

Disappointingly surface level in it's discussion of the baguette, 3 min is too short (seriously though we barely got though 'hi' so no time for the 'jinks' in 180 seconds).

Skii

Manga says that
some passerby just so happened to see the car and contacted the emergency workers but I think the anime implies Yashiro was the one who saved him.

I think the anime's version is better then as that final speech has little weight if it wasn't
Yashiro who saved him

Tuck

One Piece - 1

Hang on, it's Luffy pronounced as looofy rather than Luffy as in fluffy?
giphy.gif

I'm going back to bed.

Just a suggestion... the best way to watch One Piece is to read One Piece.

And yeah, I was confused on how to pronounce Luffy for a long time - like, 400 chapters in, I was still pronouncing it like "fluffy"

Kyuur

Series first impressions, part 2! (Part 1)

Gundam: Felt like Gundam. Iron-Blooded Orphans was a much more refreshing take. 2D mech animation is fucking beautiful though.
Kiznaiver: Incredible start, hospital scene was potent. I have no idea where the plot will go. The style they're using is really pretty and no fan service (this is a Trigger anime!?)!
Kabaneri: Not as AoT as I got from impressions. It's pretty alright decent so far, that ending shot was fantastic. Nobody in my group really understood how the protag saved himself though, one would think that if the virus was that easy to stop it would be a frequent course of action given the alternative.
Kuma Miko: This went places I never thought it could go. We were actually joking about how the bear in the backstory was going to !@#$ the maiden... lo and behold. Pretty funny.
Kuromukuro: Seems like Eva meets Aldnoah right now, who knows how its going to turn out.
Mayoiga: Suspense with no pay off so far. Some of the characters are a bit too 'anime' for a mostly human cast. Still worth continuing to see where it goes.
Girls Aren't Online: Great setup for my nerdy self, but then I realized that the group was probably going to be all from his school or some shit. And then they were, and better yet, they were a harem.
Re:Zero: I love loops, even better when they end like they did in this. It'll be hard to follow up Erased, but the setting is different enough to distinguish.
Swagamoto: I've read the manga but experiencing with people who haven't seen the material is gold.
3 Leaves 3 Colours: Opening gave strong Nichijou vibes, as did the characters for the first bit, but it turned out to not be a gag anime. :( Maybe if I see some strong impressions for later episodes.
Cerberus: Generic action adventure without the style to back it up. Dragon design was cool though.
Shounen Maid: Surprisingly okay -- odd concept. Not enough to entice me but I think some people would enjoy it.
Twin Star Exorcists: The main character design makes my head shudder uncontrollably. 'Other realm' is neat at least, but the plot screams generic.
SUPER LOVERS: Could have been heart warming but it's creepy instead.
Tanaka is Listless: Put me to sleep.

Some pretty solid stuff so far. Academia and Swagamoto were the only things I was really expecting. Kiznaiver, Re:Zero and Flying Witch are the biggest surprises so far, hope they maintain it.

Cornbread78

Good Luck! Ninomiya-kun ep.6-END
The comedy and fun of this one really fizzled out through that horrible drama section about revealing their childhood memories and dual personalities and all that other crap. They should have just made it an ecchi comedy and kept it at that, but oh well.... In the end, the show had some fun parts and some good comedy, but really fell apart in the home stretch with poor drama within the love triangle, no advancement (it's anime, I know) in either direction and poor story execution.

It will probably still be the same 3-4 Male and Female VA's that do all the shows....
Well the last anime they funded the dub was Free! no? And they had the same VA that funimation used for eternal summer if my memory doesn't betray me. So thats means that it depends on what show they dub?

Skii

Just watched Konosuba ep 1

It has started off decently I feel. Good concept and it's pretty funny. There's only 10 episodes so I'm expecting things to speed up. My only problem is that the characters are really generic and are essentially walking talking anime tropes of themselves. Hopefully they break the mould in future episodes.

Crocodile

Funimation is starting to get on the production committee for shows; Dimension W was their first. Crunchyroll is getting on the production comittee for shows as well; they're on the ones for Space Patrol Luluco and Kiznaiver. Netflix is directly funding exclusive anime now with Perfect Bones. Toonami is directly funding anime with the FLCL sequel. Amazon paid a truckload of money to get worldwide exclusivity on all upcoming noitamina shows. Now we've got this news about Crunchyroll funding and buying all Kadokawa anime.

A lot of US money flowing into the anime industry right now. Crazy time.

Adult Swim funded the second season of Big O, put money into Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and funded an original anime series in IGPX. For them, with the resurgence of Toonami, this is them more getting back into the game then entering it for the first time.

I do think this is a good trend though I worry a bit if this isn't a sign that licensing fees are starting to get too high or something (cheaper to be on a production committee than license anime?). Hopefully companies took the lessons from the previous anime bubble to make smarter decisions and make products that are both quality and likely to be financial successful and appealing to Western audiences.

blurr

My Hero Academia 01-02

When I watched the first episode I felt that it was more of the same shounen action series but boy did the second episode change my mind. I'm really intrigued to see where this goes. That Kacchan burn was sweet in the most unexpected way.

open spoiler for overly analytical content
The idea that "hero's body just moves without thinking" speaks out to me a lot, from a psychological perspective. Under normal circumstances, Deku would just be afraid. "Fear" comes in the guise of "shame", "loss" or a combination of both, to visualize this, it is a mental wall that blocks one from moving to an "abnormal" situation from a "normal" one (both terms are subjective). Deku managed to move to the abnormal situation without giving much thought, albeit he was under a lot of emotional pressure and guilt. I guess Deku's "power" is his ability to brush "Fear" away even in the impossibility then again, he isn't the only person with such a disregard for self. Nevertheless it is a core trait for a top hero, after all no matter how much power he has if he can't climb that wall of fear he is no different than one without power.

On a side note, I like that super hero manga are trying twist the genre ground-up with themes like "OP hero" and "no power hero", it's simple but makes for a lot of interesting perspective. The twist is all it takes to be entertaining sometimes.

Cornbread78

Just watched Konosuba ep 1

It has started off decently I feel. Good concept and it's pretty funny. There's only 10 episodes so I'm expecting things to speed up. My only problem is that the characters are really generic and are essentially walking talking anime tropes of themselves. Hopefully they break the mould in future episodes.

They are the anti-tropes, tropes, lol. IT keeps getting better throughout the series, lol.

Skii

They are the anti-tropes, tropes, lol. IT keeps getting better throughout the series, lol.

Yeah I'm binging on anime during my revision breaks so I'll get a good feel of the anime by this evening.

I'm just working my way through the list you recommended me ages ago lol. I just finished Erased.

I just hope JoJo 4 really gets much better in the narrative department. I've got my "animal killer + child rapist & murderer" fill from the first villain. Maybe we can branch out to someone with slightly more novel motivations.

At least Josuke's stand and his break/repair mechanics allowed for some neat combat already and the direction was good in general, too.

Angelo is a hold over from the Part 3 comically evil villains. The rest of them are more fun and entertaining in ways you wouldn't have expected for the time or after Part 3.

Cornbread78

Enride ep.2
What is this show? I'm going to give it a few more episodes, but the banter back and forth between the leads is more annoying than interesting so far...

JulianImp

Re:Zero #2
It took the protagonist too long to understand the situation he was in, but I think the show might end up being decent. Time loops are a tough thing to use correctly, but hopefully this show uses it better than Erased did.

Kiznaiver #1
So... stereotipical anime characters that have to bond together because random edgy plot reasons? Looks generic, but it might be fun to watch every now and then.

Luluco #2
The slower pace kind of worked better for me, but I still don't find it all that interesting. At least it's moderately watchable due to not being a full-length show.

I HAVE RETURNED FROM THE LONG DARK

Also started on Cardcaptor Sakura and wow, that show has a better and more satisfying start than countless other magical girl shows I've watched.

I HAVE RETURNED FROM THE LONG DARK

Also started on Cardcaptor Sakura and wow, that show has a better and more satisfying start than countless other magical girl shows I've watched.

It's also one of the few manga out there that did mostly original stuff and it actually made cardcaptor Sakura much better in my opinion! I loved that movie ending! I'm not saying the manga is bad by any means tho.

Jex

Mayoiga 2

If someone doesn't die next week, I'm dropping this.

I'm almost certain someone died this week. There's just way too many characters in the series as things stand. I can almost guarantee the cast will be thinner by the end of the third episode.

duckroll

I'm almost certain someone died this week. There's just way too many characters in the series as things stand. I can almost guarantee the cast will be thinner by the end of the third episode.

I dunno about -died-, but I think someone might have gotten his dick chopped off!

Line_HTX

Usakame 01

Now... I'M MOTIVATED!!

To do things so frantically all over the place in 4 minutes.

Take an empty tennis racket and just bob your head to metal music. DEATH REQUIEM!!

Suddenly, a giant roller, WRRRRRYYYYYYYy

Narag

Why? Is MHA considered good? Seems like an interesting concept ruined by terrible pacing. The first two episodes should have just been one episode.

I think the first two eps were just the first chapter too or close to it. Seems like they really wanted the All Might bookends for maximum thematic impact at the cost of the pacing. I imagine it'll level out after.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom